Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Black lava is great too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Anyone else have embarrassing first minis from years back they'd like to share?

Yarp. These are all from when I first started over 8 years ago or so. I've gotten slightly better since then, but i still think mine today are okayish.

For those just starting out, just keep practicing, keep posting on here for tips on how to improve.

Also, YouTube tutorial videos. It'll teach you basics and later more advanced techniques.

I posted that one on here, then people gave me advice and i fixed it to be this:

Around the same time I painted those above, I began to watch tutorials and take my time, then painted this Chaplain and just followed a tutorial. Take your time, practice on cheaper models and drill your barrels!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Cross posting from Oath Thread:

Signal posted:

Oath Complete!

Claiming the Journal for the white on the Enforcers, and Speed Painting for the Ice Toads.

Super speed painting month for me, getting quite a lot done!

In addition to my oath stuff, I also pumped out a ton of other things:

This month was about making progress on my backlog, so most isn't of great quality. Fairly happy with the last two pictures' worth of models, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cross posting from the oath thread:

The Moon Monster posted:

Oath Complete

I finished these awhile ago but waited awhile to post them to try and get nice pictures (gave up :v:)

The paint jobs on the manufacturer's web site have them painted like storks or something, but I only have like 14 colors, 1 of which is scarlet, so I went for Scarlet Ibises. I think they came out pretty well, although I kinda suck at highlighting their arms properly. I also have no idea what those cylinders hanging off of their right sides are supposed to be.

Bonus picture of them with their buds in various states of assembly (not part of my oath)

I'm pretty new to painting so these are minis 12-15 for me. Taking close up pictures like this is kind of brutal, it makes them look substantially worse, and my crappy phone camera is also probably doing me no favors. I thought I had been thinning my paint enough but maybe not. Or maybe my brushing is just sloppy. I saw a tutorial that said to use perpendicular strokes when shading folds in cloth, but I think mine ended up way too big.

Anyone have any advice besides "keep practicing and get better"?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

These are neat, where are they from? I just ordered some 54mm ME figures (Femshep, Garrus and Liara) from etsy which look really sweet.

Also did I dream it or did someone post a cool mass effect/predator mash-up mini that they'd done like a few weeks/months ago? Assuming that wasn't a figment of my imagination can whoever did that post it again please? :haw:

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Signal posted:

Cross posting from Oath Thread:

In addition to my oath stuff, I also pumped out a ton of other things:

This month was about making progress on my backlog, so most isn't of great quality. Fairly happy with the last two pictures' worth of models, though.

I really dig the orange on your mech cockpit.

Where do you get your transparent bases, and how are you mounting your figures to them without scratching or fogging? 'cause those look super slick.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

They're from here. They've got some 54mm stuff too, including Mass Effect. The details were pretty shallow and the resin fairly light, but the overall quality seems solid. Make sure to prime really lightly and it shouldn't be too bad.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Signal posted:

They're from here. They've got some 54mm stuff too, including Mass Effect. The details were pretty shallow and the resin fairly light, but the overall quality seems solid. Make sure to prime really lightly and it shouldn't be too bad.

Ah yep that's what I've ordered, cool. Hopefully the detail is a bit crisper in the larger scale.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like mentioning this because, they do make some rad looking poo poo.

These duders are having a sale on the 1st of Feb. If you hate money, go ahead and throw it at their plastic crack.
http://www.creaturecaster.com/

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Black lava is great too

Good point! Which leads me to my biennial reminder that Vallejo Black Lava (which looks like asphalt in its normal state) can be spread thinly, rolled flat, and drybrushed with dark and medium greys to make really effective tarmac on your bases. Plus, as with most Vallejo products, a jar will last for a good many bases. Buy Vallejo, is what I'm saying.

...oh ye gods, so many good minis on this page....

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Ok so the Reaper learn to paint kit came today. Got some zombies primed, went to paint, shook up the leather brown a bit and heard it sloshing around in there, 1, 2, 3 liquidy drops, then nothing. Used a pin to clear the tip, nothing. Same on the grey. Pried off the tip and jammed a brush end into the bottle, paste. Been adding water and stirring, but still way too thick to come out the dropper. Opened the steel, it is even worse. Not enough room in the bottles to add any more water, but it is still paste. Any tricks or did I just get poo poo paints?

Update: 5 paints are garbage, Leather Brown, Honed Steel, Dirty Bone, Shadowed Stone and Polished Silver. Basically everything that isn't a base color. And there is no fixing these, some were paste, others were closer to wet sand. Lets hope the seller is reasonable.

darkwolf220 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jan 31, 2017

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Irate Tree posted:

These duders are having a sale on the 1st of Feb. If you hate money, go ahead and throw it at their plastic crack.

Isn't this the one that just had a massive shitshow of a Kickstarter? I swear people at my club were cursing them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

glitchkrieg posted:

Isn't this the one that just had a massive shitshow of a Kickstarter? I swear people at my club were cursing them.
Same here, there was a giant clusterfuck and joint effort to get money back in a local forum.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

glitchkrieg posted:

The KS was pretty bad tbh. Stuff got shipped way later than expected and their expected system of bulk shipping to local hubs to avoid taxes didn't work, plus due to the collapse of the £ a bunch of UK backers had to pay a lot more in shipping than was expected. The original project owner did a disappearing act towards the end and buried their head int he sand rather than talk to the backers.

The minis themselves turned out alright though, I think it was just the usual woes of the first time running a KS that spiralled out of control when it was far more popular than predicted.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Progress is slow as hell, but I got half a troupe finished.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Alokgen posted:

Progress is slow as hell, but I got half a troupe finished.

Worth it, because these look amazing.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Eat the Rich posted:

Worth it, because these look amazing.

2nd the motion.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Irate Tree posted:

Their entire store is already sold out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

darkwolf220 posted:

Ok so the Reaper learn to paint kit came today. Got some zombies primed, went to paint, shook up the leather brown a bit and heard it sloshing around in there, 1, 2, 3 liquidy drops, then nothing. Used a pin to clear the tip, nothing. Same on the grey. Pried off the tip and jammed a brush end into the bottle, paste. Been adding water and stirring, but still way too thick to come out the dropper. Opened the steel, it is even worse. Not enough room in the bottles to add any more water, but it is still paste. Any tricks or did I just get poo poo paints?

Update: 5 paints are garbage, Leather Brown, Honed Steel, Dirty Bone, Shadowed Stone and Polished Silver. Basically everything that isn't a base color. And there is no fixing these, some were paste, others were closer to wet sand. Lets hope the seller is reasonable.

E-mail Reaper. They'll make it right.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My 4 year old has been obsessed with a Trollkin Sorceror that's been sitting in my to-do collection. He informed me the other day that this model, the good guy, was carrying a map to the bad guys. Obviously this was adorable and required an immediate paint job. I did a child's rendition of a map (good for me since I suck at freehand) and orange quills for little dude's favorite color. I'm a pushover, what can I say?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
should've gone with dick-butt

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Fyrbrand posted:

My 4 year old has been obsessed with a Trollkin Sorceror that's been sitting in my to-do collection. He informed me the other day that this model, the good guy, was carrying a map to the bad guys. Obviously this was adorable and required an immediate paint job. I did a child's rendition of a map (good for me since I suck at freehand) and orange quills for little dude's favorite color. I'm a pushover, what can I say?

Good dadding and/or momming.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JackMann posted:

Yeah, sucks to hear that happened; Reaper bottles are pretty solid for lasting a while, and my own kit was in good condition.

If they dont ask you to ship it back and water isn't doing a good job thinning the paste, try Tamiya's acrylic thinner, which uses light alcohol. Also a good excuse to check out their clear paints, which are amazingly useful for a lot of things.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013
So, some miniatures I done painted.

Here's my lighting setup for taking pictures of miniatures; two daylight bulbs in a pair of desk lamps with the LimoStudio photography hood in between...but if you look at the miniatures below, they look like they're getting too much light. Any suggestions for my photography?

(The poster's Tokyo Godfathers. Yes, I am disgraceful.)

A couple of speed-painted Harlequins:

Space Wolf Iron Priest:

Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath:

I'm not sure about the red on the tentacles; I think that they would look better without the red, but otherwise it looks pretty pale.

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 1, 2017

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I like the red. Maybe a softer transition?

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

I like the red. Maybe a softer transition?

I think that what I did wrong was try to mix a fairly light color with a dark color - a wet blend - which, as you can see, didn't quite work out. I could try layering pink --> red --> dark red, but it's kind of an awkward miniature to paint. Still, I appreciate the advice. :)

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

JackMann posted:

I processed a return through Amazon last night, if the new set (different distributor) is messed up as well, I will go to Reaper.

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah, sucks to hear that happened; Reaper bottles are pretty solid for lasting a while, and my own kit was in good condition.

If they dont ask you to ship it back and water isn't doing a good job thinning the paste, try Tamiya's acrylic thinner, which uses light alcohol. Also a good excuse to check out their clear paints, which are amazingly useful for a lot of things.

I'll keep this in mind, but for now I don't think I have the apatite for buying something else to make something I bought usable.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welp, that wasn't something i knew about them. Add another unpopular company to my like list, i guess.

TKIY posted:

Their entire store is already sold out.

This crops up on their website: GRAND OPENING FEB 1ST 7AM PST - FULL RESTOCK AT THAT TIME!

Edit: Also this, for added detail on the sale, in case anyone missed it.
http://www.creaturecaster.com/blogs/news/grand-opening-sale

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 1, 2017

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, a question about varnish; do I apply it like an undercoat - short, controlled bursts - or do I just spray back and forth continuously?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Creature Caster didn't literally steal from people like Mierce or Palladium, so I wouldn't shunt them too far down the list.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many years now, dude? That grudge must be getting pretty drat heavy by now.
They've been making good on everything in their kickstarters and store so far and their customer service is pretty good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

How many years now, dude? That grudge must be getting pretty drat heavy by now.
They've been making good on everything in their kickstarters and store so far and their customer service is pretty good.

You can't be talking about Palladium, because they've made good on nothing, and they have no customer service at all, so I'll remind you that Mierce is a phoenix company that was created using the assets of Maelstrom the owner sold to himself, which was basically continuing to take money for orders it knew it would never fulfill, ie trading while insolvent. I never bought from them, but plenty of people ended up getting stiffed, and that sort of business practise should never be forgiven.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NTRabbit posted:

You can't be talking about Palladium, because they've made good on nothing, and they have no customer service at all, so I'll remind you that Mierce is a phoenix company that was created using the assets of Maelstrom the owner sold to himself, which was basically continuing to take money for orders it knew it would never fulfill, ie trading while insolvent. I never bought from them, but plenty of people ended up getting stiffed, and that sort of business practise should never be forgiven.

No, i wasn't talking about Palladium. I've never ordered from them, i don't believe. Are they the ones with the power armoured sisters with their boobs out or, is that someone else? Either way, it's bad.

You're right, that sort of thing is a lovely thing to do. I just think it's disingenuous to keep beating on it, while also totally ignoring what they've been doing lately, which has been above board and no funny business, as far as i can see.
I've backed a lot of their kickstarters and while i was worried about the pace of things, i have been receiving all i've asked for so far.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The good things they're doing were paid for by stealing money from customers. Unless they use profits from this new venture to refund the people they ripped off to start it, I think they can gently caress off pretty hard.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Irate Tree posted:

No, i wasn't talking about Palladium. I've never ordered from them, i don't believe. Are they the ones with the power armoured sisters with their boobs out or, is that someone else? Either way, it's bad.

You're right, that sort of thing is a lovely thing to do. I just think it's disingenuous to keep beating on it, while also totally ignoring what they've been doing lately, which has been above board and no funny business, as far as i can see.
I've backed a lot of their kickstarters and while i was worried about the pace of things, i have been receiving all i've asked for so far.

I think the main issue with Mierce (other than the aforementioned shitlord of an owner) is the fact their entire production revolves around constant Kickstarters, starting the new one before they finish fulfilling the last. It makes me think they they're deliberately undercosting the models to make quick backers and relying on the next KS to actually meet their costs from the previous one, and sometime they'll do a really big KS and then just run away with the money / pump it into their next venture instead.

TTerrible posted:

The good things they're doing were paid for by stealing money from customers. Unless they use profits from this new venture to refund the people they ripped off to start it, I think they can gently caress off pretty hard.

Stealing from customers and suppliers. At least one small supplier almost went bust because Maelstrom never paid for the stock they ordered (it's what triggered the whole selling of debt to Wayland Games who then called out Maelstrom's bullshit).

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 1, 2017

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'd forgotten about Waylands involvement. Given the pattern, I wouldn't be surprised to see a giant final KS that never gets fulfilled either.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Irate Tree posted:

If it's still the same people in charge why should we not point out that they are absolute cunts? Are you getting paid in poorly QC'ed models to white knight for them, or do you genuinely fail to understand why a lot of people are rightfully angry/advising caution.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Irate Tree posted:

Palladium made the still only half fulfilled Robotech kickstarter, and they've been sending out 1 line every month for 3 years pretending big things are coming soon to cover for the fact that they've already spent all the money. You can find info all over about how much of a shitlord Kevin Siembieda is, including ripping off and bad mouthing freelancers, whose work he shitcans for being not up to scratch, and then prints with his own name on the cover after making minor alterations at most.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mango Polo posted:

If it's still the same people in charge why should we not point out that they are absolute cunts? Are you getting paid in poorly QC'ed models to white knight for them, or do you genuinely fail to understand why a lot of people are rightfully angry/advising caution.

Neat, i'm a knight!

I'm not saying to not give caution, i've been keeping an eye open myself. I'm saying, if you're going to give advice, give the good and the bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Irate Tree posted:

Sod off is it disingenuous to say that thieves who have stolen in the past are thieves with a history of theft. Jesus Christ, they stole from their suppliers and their customers when they knew they were going to the wall. Disingenuous? Get to gently caress!
You might be fine and happy giving them your money up front for goods that don't yet exist, but not everyone is so relaxed in their interactions with conmen as to be positively supine. Don't come the mealy-mouthed apologist when people point out that Mierce is owned and operated by people with a history of financial dishonesty.

And you know what? You are an idiot for Kickstarting their projects if you, for one moment, don't think they will take the money and run the instant Mierce starts to go tits up.