Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
A starcraft movie would be ludicrously easy to make. Also i dont know why you'd need marines with their helmets open that couldnt be done with close ups for dialogue if they were indoors. It never made sense for them to be wandering ship interiors with their nuclear power suits on anyway. Yeah prisoner blah blah but just retcon it the way storm troopers went from clones to conscripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Warcraft, the movie released in 2016, was based on a game made in 1994. Starcraft came out in 1998, so we've got at least 3 more years before they can make that into a movie.

The WoW fans will all be dead of heart disease long before they see their dream realized. On the plus side, we don't have to worry about the hot garbage that was Starcraft 2 defiling a theater for quite awhile.

Zzulu posted:

What would the movie even be about? A bunch of CGI characters murdering clones of themselves and then letting their butts hang out ??

Maybe they can borrow from the rich and storied lore of other such game worlds as Battleship, or Tetris: The movie.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

revdrkevind posted:

Who's the hero? Tracer? Just start letting all the problems with that pile up in your head.

There are currently 23(?) heroes in Overwatch, only 3-5 of which are "bad guys." 18-20 "Good Guys" that all need to have their moment to shine if you want to please the fans. Think of the clusterfuck that is the avengers movies and multiply it by 2. Remember how astounding it was that the first Avengers movie managed to have 6 main characters and was only "kind of" unweildy and poorly paced?

And if you want to do a hero's journey, you cant even use the mascot, Tracer, because she's already a hero and her backstory doesn't really imply a good time period where she wouldn't be one. Before she was a crazy time jumping badass she was an experimental pilot badass. You'd have to introduce a whole new reluctant hero character, an audience surrogate who gets powers and has to step up to help save the world. A character that would probably backfire because the audience would resent it being shoehorned into the existing lore. Maybe they could introduce the third Doomfist as a young guy, then drop him into the game to coincide with the movie coming out?

...man blizzard games are kind of dumb.

edit: 20 minutes of extra mei scenes for the international release

bigstupidjellyfish fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 30, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

xXx3 is amazingly good

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

xXx3 is amazingly good

i was one kickflip away from unironically liking it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I loved it. Never saw the first two. Definitely could have been ten or fifteen minutes shorter but the action was great and it was pretty self aware.

The nerd girl was awful but everything else was good. I wanted to clap for the ice cube reveal

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

bigstupidjellyfish posted:

And if you want to do a hero's journey, you cant even use the mascot, Tracer, because she's already a hero and her backstory doesn't really imply a good time period where she wouldn't be one. Before she was a crazy time jumping badass she was an experimental pilot badass. You'd have to introduce a whole new reluctant hero character, an audience surrogate who gets powers and has to step up to help save the world. A character that would probably backfire because the audience would resent it being shoehorned into the existing lore. Maybe they could introduce the third Doomfist as a young guy, then drop him into the game to coincide with the movie coming out?
dreamworks.txt

Young Tracer sneaks into a hangar bay after hours and climbs into an experimental fighter jet. Wacky hijinks ensue that show she is highly skilled, a daredevil, and maybe just a little reckless.
*freezeframe*
"That's me, Lena Oxton. You may not know it yet but I don't exactly fit in."
Her flight instructor starts berating her. "Dang it, Oxton! That's the third experimental fighter plane you wrecked since you got here! I oughta throw you outta the academy...if you weren't the best gosh darn pilot we got."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Overwatch sounds really stupid.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MrSlam posted:

dreamworks.txt

Young Tracer sneaks into a hangar bay after hours and climbs into an experimental fighter jet. Wacky hijinks ensue that show she is highly skilled, a daredevil, and maybe just a little reckless.
*freezeframe*
"That's me, Lena Oxton. You may not know it yet but I don't exactly fit in."
Her flight instructor starts berating her. "Dang it, Oxton! That's the third experimental fighter plane you wrecked since you got here! I oughta throw you outta the academy...if you weren't the best gosh darn pilot we got."

Forgot the smirk

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A test pilot who keeps wrecking the planes probably isn't a very good pilot.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Maybe she works at crash testing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

A test pilot who keeps wrecking the planes probably isn't a very good pilot.

It's because she's too good of a pilot. The planes can't keep up with her lightning reflexes. But then she finds out that there's an old prototype plane they mothballed because it was too powerful, no pilot could handle it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

people who think about the Overwatch "storyline" are the same perma-virgin tumblrites who watch Stephen Universe

it's a good shooting game but you're a loving loser if you care about the "meta" or whatever it's called

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Caring about things makes you a bad person.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

temple posted:

Caring about things makes you a bad person.

Southpark.txt

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Southpark.txt

very good avatar

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Caring enough to get worked up about the story in a multiplayer only FPS, fighting game, or MOBA does in fact make you a bad person.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think there's a lot of games that have great stories or settings that could be made, which some modifications, into pretty good movies.
Overwatch is not one of them. The only thing it has going is "is popular".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

people who think about the Overwatch "storyline" are the same perma-virgin tumblrites who watch Stephen Universe

it's a good shooting game but you're a loving loser if you care about the "meta" or whatever it's called

How did you get a long homestuck avatar

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Randarkman posted:

its kinda great because it's just team fortress 2 all over again with the goofy plot built in from day 1

the plot and character relationships have no bearing on anything at all in the game but it feeds a big dumb fanart scene

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

How did you get a long homestuck avatar

i don't know what that means

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Everything is dumb.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Storyline for Overwatch is about as meaningless as the storyline for Dota 2. I enjoy the individual characters and their motivations/origin in both games, but why anyone would bother to try and tie together the narrative is beyond me.

e: EEEEXXXX-WIIIIINGS!!!!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
durrrrrrr how will they ever come up with a story for this stuff??? asks a moron who exists in the world where the lego movie was made. like lmao they came up with a decent plot for interlocking bricks but somehow these cartoon fps characters are some impossible task

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here's my take on Overwatch: The Movie. Gorilla wants to eat a banana but the bogan bloke replaces it with dynamite and gorilla gets very mad at him. Then they call their friends and shoot at each other. And also make jokes while shooting. Then some big stupid robot appears that doesn't like the noise, and they fight it together and become friends.

And there's also a joke somewhere where they say that Team Fortress 2 is poo poo. Maybe the Russian woman says something about Heavy. Like, da, this tovarisch is loving poo poo, ha-ha.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched Nightcrawler and it was good but I feel bad now.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paladinus posted:

Here's my take on Overwatch: The Movie. Gorilla wants to eat a banana but the bogan bloke replaces it with dynamite and gorilla gets very mad at him. Then they call their friends and shoot at each other. And also make jokes while shooting. Then some big stupid robot appears that doesn't like the noise, and they fight it together and become friends.

And there's also a joke somewhere where they say that Team Fortress 2 is poo poo. Maybe the Russian woman says something about Heavy. Like, da, this tovarisch is loving poo poo, ha-ha.

yo kids are into portals these days, our movie needs a portal. can we somehow open a portal then say the portal is overhyped poo poo?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

Everything apart from the script in that movie is good. It's such a waste of an amazing performance.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think for an Overwatch film it'd be smart to basically do the Oceans 11/Inception/etc style of film, basically a PG13 Smokin Aces.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

EmmyOk posted:

It's definitely a movie I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

Some fantastic tension scenes though. And Gyllenhaal is loving creepy and yet watchable as hell.

A good flick. I have been meaning to watch Enemy both for Gyllenhaal and Villeneuve.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Everything apart from the script in that movie is good. It's such a waste of an amazing performance.

How do you mean? I guess it wasn't the most exciting watch but I didn't think the dialogue was bad or anything. It's a super performance but I think a quiet feelbad film might be the best venue for it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

priznat posted:

It's definitely a movie I felt like I needed a shower afterwards.

Some fantastic tension scenes though. And Gyllenhaal is loving creepy and yet watchable as hell.

A good flick. I have been meaning to watch Enemy both for Gyllenhaal and Villeneuve.

Enemy is superb!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I definitely think Enemy is that guys weakest film. Prisoners was good, Arrival was very good. Sicario is the poo poo. So so good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah I love both Sicario and Arrival, both are muay excellente.

Prisoners looks pretty messed up.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Hollywood would still do the usual "why do that?" decision of making all the characters have flat butts.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Enemy is artsy trash. Excuse me, but this needs to be said.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How did Rich Evans make such an amazing Plinketto board?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zzulu posted:

What would the movie even be about? A bunch of CGI characters murdering clones of themselves and then letting their butts hang out ??
I don't think there will need to be much of a plot:

Also change your avatar you hosed up weirdo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm surprised rlm threads haven't gone through the cycle of getting a bunch of injokey avatars that convince the rest of the forum that it's too popular to like and then everyone has to get rid of their fan avatars to escape the stigma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

How did Rich Evans make such an amazing Plinketto board?

Get this. Rich Evans used to no poo poo do construction work.

• Locked thread