Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was that span of time where Rob Van Dam was somehow breaking everyone's face with his spinny kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

DeathChicken posted:

There was that span of time where Rob Van Dam was somehow breaking everyone's face with his spinny kicks

he also hosed up HHH's throat in the chamber match with his frog splash

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If we're counting Styles' non-WWE time, then the answer is Ox Baker, who legit killed an opponent outside of the company.

No he didn't.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

No he didn't.

Right. As I recall, he fought and beat a guy, who then died shortly after of unrelated issues, but they played up the kayfabe to convince people that Ox was so tough that he straight up killed dudes in the ring.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
what about the guy who murdered bruiser brody, does that count for most dangerous wrestler

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

quite stretched out posted:

what about the guy who murdered bruiser brody, does that count for most dangerous wrestler

That guy only killed one person. Chris Benoit killed two people.

With wrestling moves.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Defiance Industries posted:

That guy only killed one person. Chris Benoit killed two people.

With wrestling moves.

Three if you count the Hangman's Noose.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll check it out, 8:30PM isn't too harsh assume it's Mexico time (which is a mere 19 hours away from me).

I think that Trios rule - and 2/3 pins being the norm - are both rad as hell.

Also, on Roman, while I'm bummed that Joe didn't appear at 30 and rock faces I have enjoyed the last few matches I've seen of him. I'm fortunate in that I only really have PPVs, so I don't have the additional 20 Roman/Owens/Jericho fights in between.

Venomous posted:

Roman would be good in New Japan

I would enjoy Roman going full heel and just heading 'down' to NXT and stomping around.
NXT I guess is their development area which sits in Vince's blind spot, but they could use it for main card feuds. But that sounds like a suggestion for a 4 hour Raw or 3 hour Smackdown so I immediately regret it because that sounds awful.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Suplex Liberace posted:

The most dangerous man to wrestle is JBL. This also only applies if you are the blue meanie.

Or Public Enemy

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Does Sami Zayn's Helluva Kick mean something specific, or it is just a corruption of "Hell Of A Kick"?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Cornwind Evil posted:

or it is just a corruption of "Hell Of A Kick"?

this one.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why the hell do commentators pronounce it as though they don't get the joke?

"Sami Zayn with the...HELL-OOO-VUH KICK!"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i thought they pronounce it weirdly to make it kind-of rhyme with yakuza kick

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Valentin posted:

Why do some wrestlers in the WWE just never get named finishers? I understand it better outside the WWE, but so much of the WWE announce style seems built on Michael Cole yelling "AA! Cena's going for the AA!", so that it seems weird that e.g. Kevin Owens' pop-up powerbomb is always just referred to as a pop-up powerbomb. It's not detrimental to the product or anything, it just seems weird given the usual flow of WWE commentating. Strowman similarly just seems like a big guy who does big guy moves rather than having a move clearly associated with him, though maybe that's because I don't really follow RAW all that closely.

the name is Papa Powerbomb, because Kevin Owens is a proud and devoted father that fights to support his family.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why the hell do commentators pronounce it as though they don't get the joke?

"Sami Zayn with the...HELL-OOO-VUH KICK!"

I think it's because "hell of a kick" isn't PG friendly but it might also be that Yakuza Kick thing

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Kiryu beat the poo poo out of Sami and got him to change the name.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know the answer, but Pop-up Powerbomb anyway is memorable, seems good enough. I guess there's the Batista Bomb etc, but would calling it The Owens Bomb or something be better? Likewise I thought when Rollins was doing the Curb Stomp, that name worked better than calling it The Blackout etc. Sometimes just a descriptive name works. Also maybe after decades, they're just running out of good names to call stuff. When a move is called The Dark Lance or something, it can just be like... c'mon now. The Deadly Last Embrace of the Axeman! Actually that sounds cool.
Having finishers that sound like they were stolen from defeated Mega Man bosses somehow works for Japan, but it's not the right fit for WWE unless they are, ha ha ha, actually establish a consistent brand identity of any kind, and that idea happens to work for them.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Who was probably the most dangerous dude to work with in WWE history? By that I mean he either didn't give a gently caress about people's safety or was so poo poo in the ring that he injured people constantly.

Kennedy?
Ultimate Warrior was also notoriously bad, and the Steiner Brothers simply enjoyed beating people up. Not "liked to work stiff," they were legitimately really dangerous guys and they liked roughing up jobbers who couldn't fight back. A WWE doctor flat-out said that Kofi was dangerous, though I've never heard another wrestler say it and he seems to be well-liked?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

If we're counting Styles' non-WWE time, then the answer is Ox Baker, who legit killed an opponent outside of the company.
Two men died wrestling Ox Baker, and neither was his fault. That Baker's finisher was the Heart Punch is just the kind of extremely weird coincidence that can only happen in the weird world of pro wrestling. Heart attack is in fact the most common cause of wrestlers dying in the ring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Corzaa posted:

Stables are more of a Russo thing.

Spermgod posted:

what on earth

Karmine posted:

Nation of Domination, DOA, Los Boricuas, the Corporation, the Ministry, the Corporate Ministry, The Union, PMS, the Filthy Animals, Misfits in Action, Main Event Mafia, Immortal, SEX, shall I go on?

exploded mummy posted:

You forgot DX, the Millionaires Club and New Blood.

(Though WCW had long running factions even before Russo got involved)
Russo introduced several new stables during his time in WCW, but there were indeed plenty before he got involved. WCW got progressively more and more clogged with stables from 1995 until the company died. But there were actually more stables in 1999 than any other year; Russo didn't sign on until October 1999.

Also, Russo had nothing to do with creating the Filthy Animals as far as I know.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've always liked stables when they're done well. It looks like they're testing them again in NXT with Sanity. NXT is also where managers are a thing and I love it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

Kiryu beat the poo poo out of Sami and got him to change the name.

no. everyone who uses it as a standard move calls it a yakuza kick for sami its one of his "signature" moves so it gets a special name.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It didn't happen much but I liked when stables contained little sub-groups. The Brood within the Ministry, New Age Outlaws retaining their tag-team identity within DX, stuff like that. Any other notable examples? I didn't watch NWA/WCW growing up but I've gotten the impression that Arn/Tully were like the default tag-team guys in the Horsemen.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Russo introduced several new stables during his time in WCW, but there were indeed plenty before he got involved. WCW got progressively more and more clogged with stables from 1995 until the company died. But there were actually more stables in 1999 than any other year; Russo didn't sign on until October 1999.

Also, Russo had nothing to do with creating the Filthy Animals as far as I know.

yeah a lot of the 1999 stables like the West Texas Rednecks and No Limit Soldiers were basically gone before he came.

1998 had a shitload as well as I believe you had a point in time where nWo Hollywood, nWo Wolfpac, LWo, the Flock, and the Four Horseman all coexisted. You could even add in Warrior's two man One Warrior Nation if you really wanted to.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Russo is so strongly associated with certain things in booking and storylines that he routinely gets blamed for a ton of stuff that was going on in WCW before he ever signed. Stuff in 1998 even.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I believe Hitler had the same problem.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Minidust posted:

It didn't happen much but I liked when stables contained little sub-groups. The Brood within the Ministry, New Age Outlaws retaining their tag-team identity within DX, stuff like that. Any other notable examples? I didn't watch NWA/WCW growing up but I've gotten the impression that Arn/Tully were like the default tag-team guys in the Horsemen.

the most prominent current example would be The Elite (Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks) as a subbrand of Bullet Club. This not only allows them to profit off the merch but Omega seems well aware that the stable is overly bloated and past its peak.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think it's because "hell of a kick" isn't PG friendly but it might also be that Yakuza Kick thing

They pronounced it the same way on the indies

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

The most dangerous man to wrestle is JBL. This also only applies if you are the blue meanie.

Or in the showers.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's Ken Shamrock. duh.

I do find it weird no one has mentioned Big T himself, Ahmed Johnson.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 31, 2017

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Didn't he mostly injure himself?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Minidust posted:

Chikara had a trio of guys called the Devastation Corporation. They were an 80's face-paint team throwback similar to Ascension. Their manager Sidney Bakabella also represented Oleg the Usurper and Jaka. Together, the five were the Wrecking Crew.

Then there was this big storyline involving the Flood, a massive super-stable made up of various Chikara heel stables from throughout the years. This included the Wrecking Crew, meaning Max Smashmaster and the rest were in a stable that was in a stable that was in a stable.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Every place I'm looking says he had a rep for injuring himself and others. Somewhat less info on names though, so?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I'd second anyone who said the Steiners or the Road Warriors, who both came up in a time where doing all the steroids and shoot murdering jobbers was a valid way to get over. I can't decide whether the doomsday device or Scotty just dropping you on your head was less safe

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

remusclaw posted:

Every place I'm looking says he had a rep for injuring himself and others. Somewhat less info on names though, so?

I think Ahmed handed out a couple concussions doing a scissor kick, don't remember who, though

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Not to mention the insane poo poo those guys came up outside the ring. I'm pretty sure it was the Steiners who, according to probably Cornette or Heyman, once started throwing massive amounts of groceries at the other wrestlers' car's windshield while they were driving at full speed on the highway. Also, Rick Steiner hanging out of the window of a car, on the highway, just to rib other wrestlers by opening their car door. What a bunch of maniacs.

Edit: It was Heyman! Here's him telling both stories https://youtu.be/jfPn3gLq1kQ

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Maybe he really likes Heluva Good dips, and kicking people.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Maybe he really likes Heluva Good dips, and kicking people.

I'm pretty sure this is it, I think Excalibur mentioned/coined it based on this.

Cheddar jalapeño is a good flavour, as is Garden Salsa.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

if it came down to Wendys or Sonics which burg does Bray Wyatt enjoy more

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wendys cause of his long unrequited love for the little red headed girl. Husky preferred Sonics for obvious reasons.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Two things:

1) I always understood stables as a relic of the territory days where it made sense for a group of friends to stick together both in kayfabe and real life. It made business sense for Aaron Anderson to hitch himself to Ric Flair since Flair was such a star, and it made real-life sense for Flair to keep Arn around to legit rough up any assholes who took a shot at the champ.

2) Why did JBL take that cheap shot at Meanie again? Did Meanie say/do something or was JBL just being the bully prick that he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Ostentatious posted:

if it came down to Wendys or Sonics which burg does Bray Wyatt enjoy more
Follow...the Blizzards