Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I miss the days when fewer than 900 votes made the difference for 3 electoral votes in Nevada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I laughed out loud at that 1877 map when I saw Switzerland wasnt a person, just a watch.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Czarist Russia: notable paragon of progress and liberalism

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're right, that might have been a bit too period appropriate. Sorry.

kaiser wilhelm was pretty explicit in describing "Juda-England" as a land dominated by parasitic international financiers. he didn't dance around with euphemisms. rootless cosmopolitan is more 50s vintage

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I don't know about you all, but I'm in the mood for some Old Honesty Plug Tobacco.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Boy Singer is going to be in for a nasty surprise in about 10 years.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/catalog/ss:3293804

He was an rear end in a top hat anyway.

Also I'm really wondering about the menace of spanish pears on French republicanism.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Also I'm really wondering about the menace of spanish pears on French republicanism.

The map is a reference to the French political power struggle in the wake of the Franco-Prussian war. The bug at top left represents the Bourbon pretender to the throne, the one at bottom right represents the Bonapartists, top right is the Prussian (now German) invaders, and bottom left, that Spanish pear, represents the Orleanist pretender, whose grandfather kind of looked like a pear.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 31, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pakled posted:

Czarist Russia: notable paragon of progress and liberalism

Alexander II for all of his faults was the closet you are going to get to progress and liberalism in Tsarist Russia (he abolished serfdom and established basic public institutions for peasants).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The map is a reference to the French political power struggle in the wake of the Franco-Prussian war. The bug at top left represents the Bourbon pretender to the throne, the one at bottom right represents the Bonapartists, top right is the Prussian (now German) invaders, and bottom left, that Spanish pear, represents the Orleanist pretender, whose dad kind of looked like a pear.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 31, 2017

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Count Roland posted:

Guys you should click this link, there is a lot of good stuff here.

;efb

Huh.... Okay so the pickelhaube spider is clearly Germany trying to get Alsace back, but who are the other spiders? Is the pear a pun on Anjou? Is the one coming out of the southeast supposed to be Napoleon coming from Corsica (representing the Napoleons specifically or monarchism in general?) And is the fly supposed to be a French revolutionary?

Basically any educated guesses at the overall metaphor would be interesting.

Still disappointed that the pear isn't an Anjou pun, that would've made me feel smart.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Dropping bombs onto a world he doesn't care about until it's completely unrecognizable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Still disappointed that the pear isn't an Anjou pun, that would've made me feel smart.

It’s a pun, but not that pun.

“Poire” means both “pear” and “sucker” (as in, an idiot who can be swindled).

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

HBar posted:

Dropping bombs onto a world he doesn't care about until it's completely unrecognizable.

I was going to start with"I'm the..." but no, there's nothing even close to recognizable there except maybe.... Australia?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

alnilam posted:

I was going to start with"I'm the..." but no, there's nothing even close to recognizable there except maybe.... Australia?

I think I see Scandinavia and Italy, that's just a really big Mediterranian and a Sea of Suez :v:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

alnilam posted:

I see Mongolia finally free itself from Russia and China's borders and is now a seperate island.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

alnilam posted:

Europe is on the far left, then the Arabian Peninsula, then India. Australia is roughly in the right shape (minus the Cape York Peninsula), but tectonic activity has moved it north, pulled Africa far southward, sunk East Asia below the waves, and raised the lost continent of Mu.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
im the HUEG Hainan

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the logo on the box is a fractal representation of the entire picture, raising questions about the nature of infinity to which i do not have answers

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I love how even Louis Phillipe's descendants were tainted with pear-ness.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Goat posted:

the logo on the box is a fractal representation of the entire picture, raising questions about the nature of infinity to which i do not have answers

Droste effect, named for a Dutch chocolatier.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
YugoGREECEia

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You know, I didn't really care, then I read how many of the suffering people weren't Muslims!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

HookShot posted:

YugoGREECEia

I see no problem with this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The main problem with the maps in that collection is becoming too drat swayed by their compelling, map-based arguments.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pakled posted:

You know, I didn't really care, then I read how many of the suffering people weren't Muslims!

Considering that the victims there were victims primarily because they weren't Muslim, it was kind of relevant. Sort of like the "non-White" thing in USA.

Byzantine posted:

I see no problem with this.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is from when? the 20s?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Count Roland posted:

This is from when? the 20s?

A little earlier - the committee was founded in 1915 and used that name in 1918-1919.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_East_Foundation

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Cartogram illustrating distance from nuclear reactors in Europe mapped onto population density.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Cartogram illustrating distance from nuclear reactors in Europe mapped onto population density.

Still better than the Peters protection...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartograms are all right, but I don’t get the point of this one.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Man europe has some serious radiation tumors.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Cartograms are all right, but I don’t get the point of this one.

I think they're trying to show how many people live within potential accident range of a nuclear reactor.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I think they're trying to show how many people live within potential accident range of a nuclear reactor.

I don't think they're succeeding

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Needs prevailing winds.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Should've been Mercator

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

rip antarctica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Should've had Western Sahara be no data.