Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A lot of what Trump's administration is doing feels like something out of Escape from L.A.

Hell or High Water is still dope as gently caress. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I was actually planning to visit my friend in LA this spring and try to convince him to come live with me in Canada for a while to try and help him get away from the bad influences that put him in the position he's in now, but at this rate I don't even know if it's going to be possible to get in and out of the US by spring.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I agree in principle but beef is loving expensive

What's up with that, anyway? Beef didn't use to be so much more expensive than other meats.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
go to Tyaluda and then get your friend. Also, do Korean BBQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snak posted:

A lot of what Trump's administration is doing feels like something out of Escape from L.A.

The lamest movie.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Alright Blacks BBQ looks delicious; noted.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Safety Factor posted:

My personal favorite in the area is Black's barbecue in Lockhart, 30 minutes South of Austin. There's a few big name barbecue joints in that one little town. However, Black's opened up a satellite location in Austin itself about a year(?) ago so if you can't make it out of town, you've still got them as an option. Obviously, Franklin is the big tourist trap that everyone knows about. I've been there too; I waited in line for like 4 hours on a Sunday morning to have barbecue. It was cool to do once, but I don't know if I can say it's worth the wait. Somewhere like Black's is almost as good and without the ridiculous wait time. If you know your schedule ahead of time though, you can place a to-go order with Franklin like a week in advance. That way you can skip the line, but you're locked into a 5 pound minimum order.

Whatever you do, if you're at a good barbecue joint, get the fatty brisket, not the lean. A good, fatty brisket will practically melt in your mouth.

Yeah I really loved Franklin but the wait was a real pain. On Saturdays you can get beef ribs though and that was incredible.

Salt Lick is another famous one out in Driftwood to the southwest of town. Dubya used to get it shipped to the White House. It's pretty good, though a bit overrated.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There is a delicious delicatessen in Montreal that's internationally famous (Schwartz's) but I didn't even bother recommending it because unless you're Madonna or something you're gonna be waiting in line for hours and hours.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Had it before it was OK haha.

Need to find some stuff near the convention centre for quick lunch and should be good to go, but thank you for the suggestions!

Also, Texas has some good Brazilian steakhouses right?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lurdiak posted:

What's up with that, anyway? Beef didn't use to be so much more expensive than other meats.

It started with the historic midwest droughts a few years ago, at least in the states, but IDK why it's stayed so high.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
What the heck Soderberg's Solaris is actually good and it has Clooney's rear end??!?!!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Salt Lick is another famous one out in Driftwood to the southwest of town. Dubya used to get it shipped to the White House. It's pretty good, though a bit overrated.
Salt Lick is cool just for their ridiculous location. It's like a full-on compound dedicated to barbecue and I think they even have a loving wine cellar. I thought their actual meat was overrated and I'd rather go to Black's, but it's probably worth checking out as a secondary option.

That reminds me, if you're visiting Austin and like beer, go to Jester King. It's a somewhat pretentious brewery, but they're located just West of town on some old farmland. They've got their own stuff and a ton of imported beers from all over the place. It can get expensive, but it's a great day out there. There are tons of smaller breweries if you'd rather get trashed sample local beers on a budget.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The lamest movie.

I'm not sure "lame" is one of the criticisms I would level against Escape from LA...

But it is the one about the super-conservative who gets elected for a life term and makes decrees to form the new, "Moral America". Banning Muslims, transgendered people, and foreigners and exiling them to the extrajudicial prison island of LA. Escape from New York, while a much better movie, doesn't really have those aspects to it and is much more about a "regular" prison colony.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
ooo thanks.

Again, only going if there is a crazy outside chance we get into the festival.

Do you guys have Shawarma where you live?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It started with the historic midwest droughts a few years ago, at least in the states, but IDK why it's stayed so high.

:capitalism:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I was actually planning to visit my friend in LA this spring and try to convince him to come live with me in Canada for a while to try and help him get away from the bad influences that put him in the position he's in now, but at this rate I don't even know if it's going to be possible to get in and out of the US by spring.

Canadians don't need a visa to visit they? Forgive me for assuming, but as long as you look white and have a Canadian passport, you'll be fine as long as you don't spontaneously switch to Quebecois.

Avoiding the country for moral reasons is fair though.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Shrug.

Lurdiak would be fine. I probably won't get in depending on the TSA agent. Parents are Iranian, they are born in Iran (they definitely won't get in) and technically they could call me a dual national (even though never been there in my life). Plus, have a pretty common Iranian last name.

Friend in Milwaukee was telling me they had an Iranian friend who was dying, but none of his family or relatives can come visit him and say goodbye. Tons of students now trapped and can't go home.

Fucks their whole plan. They were planning to go stateside.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, Texas has some good Brazilian steakhouses right?

your questions about cuisine in America are really bizarre. Texas is bigger than most of Europe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

We got a fair amount of lebanese and turkish cuisine up here, always have. I can't handle the amount of garlic and red onions some of them tend to use, though. I'm fine with like, Tabasco spicy, but that poo poo kicks my mouth's rear end.

The local lebanese restaurant serves lamb poutine. :3:

Yeah it might just be a case that the sellers realized people were still buying as much beef with the price hike and decided to just keep it at that price.

Skwirl posted:

Canadians don't need a visa to visit they? Forgive me for assuming, but as long as you look white and have a Canadian passport, you'll be fine as long as you don't spontaneously switch to Quebecois.

Avoiding the country for moral reasons is fair though.

I'm just worried things won't stay that way. I mean it's been 10 days and look at all that's happened.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Thought they were known for their Brazilian steakhouses? We don't have much of those in Canada.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gorman Thomas posted:

What the heck Soderberg's Solaris is actually good and it has Clooney's rear end??!?!!

I took a Russian film class in college and by far the highlight was at the pre-Solaris viewing lecture where the professor, a big Zizek-looking guy, said that the Soderbergh version was good "if you like the Clooney" in the most contemptuous voice imaginable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Thought they were known for their Brazilian steakhouses? We don't have much of those in Canada.

I think you're confusing there being brazillian steakhouses called Texas de Brazil with texas being famous for them.

source: I've lived in Texas my whole life and never heard we're famous for them

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Texas is known for their pretty ok BBQ and bad chili

Brazil is probably what you're thinking of about the Brazilian steakhouses

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gorman Thomas posted:

I've been saying this for years. Killer soundtrack too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

I took a Russian film class in college and by far the highlight was at the pre-Solaris viewing lecture where the professor, a big Zizek-looking guy, said that the Soderbergh version was good "if you like the Clooney" in the most contemptuous voice imaginable.

Wanna hang out with that professor.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

FishBulb posted:

Texas is known for their pretty ok BBQ and bad chili

Brazil is probably what you're thinking of about the Brazilian steakhouses

Whoops nvm. What makes their chili so bad?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I mean, we've got some in the major cities as traps for business people, but we're not known for them in any way.

Of course, shawarma and doner/donor/donair are universal constants.

One other thing to look out for in the cities is Vietnamese food. Houston has one of the largest Vietnamese populations outside of Vietnam itself. So does Dallas, I think, so I'd be willing to bet this has influenced Austin as well. Banh mi and pho places are all over the place, it's great.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lurdiak posted:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Texans

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

CPL593H posted:

I have an irrational hatred of people calling records "vinyls" and I can't stand when people who don't even own turntables buy records.

Semi-related to this - if you do have a turntable, how many records do you have to own for it not to be weird? I was talking about this with a friend like a year ago and they said just one, and I think that's total bullshit.

Lurdiak posted:

It was Ilya Kutik, searching around to see if he was still teaching the class I just learned he was on a stamp. It was really great, I never would have seen stuff like The Cranes Are Flying or Burnt by the Sun if I didn't take it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

It was Ilya Kutik, searching around to see if he was still teaching the class I just learned he was on a stamp. It was really great, I never would have seen stuff like The Cranes Are Flying or Burnt by the Sun if I didn't take it.

That is awesome. I always like a good grumpy college professor. My literature professor owned the hell out of me for being too into the Lord of the Rings movies and it really helped me grow as a writer.

Man, I miss college.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I'm guessing he's one of those freak deviants who think chili has beans and tomatoes in it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Power of Pecota posted:

Semi-related to this - if you do have a turntable, how many records do you have to own for it not to be weird? I was talking about this with a friend like a year ago and they said just one, and I think that's total bullshit.

Ten seems like a good minimum for a reasonable collection, but that's just because I can't imagine spending eighty plus on a machine that plays one thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Plus old vinyl is cheap unless you're collecting major classics or something. That's a big part of the medium's appeal for me.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm guessing he's one of those freak deviants who think chili has beans and tomatoes in it.

It does unless your plan is to put it on a hotdog

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Not related to BBQ but just good food in general, I've mentioned it before but Thai food from basically any Thai restaurant in NYC is loving amazing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Plus old vinyl is cheap unless you're collecting major classics or something. That's a big part of the medium's appeal for me.

That's my favorite aspect. I'm really impatient to get my record player and general hi-fi system back (almost three years in storage aaa) because I hate going to record stores and finding interesting stuff and being like "oh i can't buy this nvm". There's something really nice about playing records.

edit: we had a good turnout at last night's Seattle protest. Lots of energy, I hope this stuff keeps up:

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 31, 2017

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Not related to BBQ but just good food in general, I've mentioned it before but Thai food from basically any Thai restaurant in NYC is loving amazing.

For someone who's never tried it what would be a good intro or first dish for Thai food?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

plz dont pull out posted:

For someone who's never tried it what would be a good intro or first dish for Thai food?

Not Pad Thai, surprisingly.

http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/tom-yum-goong

Also get the Thai Iced Tea.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

plz dont pull out posted:

Red curry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Just boil some egg noodles and dump a bunch of peanut butter in.

• Locked thread