Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Can you use a gameshark to play burns on a PSX? Back in the day I was able to play burns on my PSOne using a gameshark. I used a paperclip to trick my PSOne thinking the lid was shut and just swap the discs while the PSOne was reading discs based on sounds.

I don't know why I didn't think of this the other day when we were talking about GBA games, did anyone else play the Ecks vs Sever games? The movie was beyond awful but I remember really liking both games. Gameplay was pretty close to Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The only Rot3K games I've really gotten into were 4 and 6, and the only one I've ever finished a playthrough of was 6.

6 almost felt like it was strictly an upgrade from 4, but the foreign tribes completely dictated how every game would go. They had the most powerful unit types, had no officers you could capture/execute, and fully refreshed their population of soldiers at a rate faster than any ruler could. If they attacked your city, and you didn't have an army that could completely wipe them out, and have enough troops to retaliate and conquer them on your next turn, the only sane option was to abandon your city and not even attempt to fight them. The AI rulers would always attempt to engage them in battles of attrition, and thus had no hope of developing a force that could oppose you. Many of the most important rulers and officers would be dead before they had a chance to do anything. Knowing this, you could start as the weakest ruler on the map, make your top priority acquiring enough officers/soldiers to conquer the nearest foreign tribe (and thus able to recruit armored horsemen/hillmen), and be in a position advantageous enough to make the game effectively unloseable less than a year into your campaign. You get to conquer China at your leisure as the AI repeatedly wipes itself out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm curious about poo poo like that. Is there a technical reason to include that, like to push game data to the outer edges of the disc? Or was it just "we've got 650 megs on the disc, might as well use all of them."

Probably a bit of both. You need to use most of the CD and early lasers read some sectors faster than others, so they had some filler data and someone thought it'd be funny to sneak in a video clip instead of a bunch of letter A's.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sega apparently dumped nearly 50 soundtrack CDs onto Spotify recently. It's a pretty impressive selection, covering a little bit of everything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Kins posted:

Sega apparently dumped nearly 50 soundtrack CDs onto Spotify recently. It's a pretty impressive selection, covering a little bit of everything.

Oh well, I didn't have anything planned for tonight anyway :stare:.

edit: Oh lordy, the Skies of Arcadia soundtracks are in there :flashfap:.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'm doing a weird little circuit for my own tastes on account of getting a PS3 as a Christmas gift - I'm playing through all the major platforming series that showed up on the PS2, one entry at a time, moving between series after each game. The major series are Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper. All these series got a re-release on PS3. I had played all games from all these series when I was in college, as they were released, and rose-colored glasses have me believe that they were all terrific. But I wanna put happy memories to the test.

Thus far I've completed the first entry for all three series, and I've had a great time of it. Jak and Daxter was bright and fun and breezy, Sly Cooper was a joy to control, and Ratchet and Clank was great kablammo shooty platforming stuff. All three are great starts to their respective series.

But now I've got to circle back and play the second entry of the Jak and Daxter series, Jak II, and holy loving poo poo I goddamn hate this thing. The game was clearly victim to a post GTA3 world, the evidence being the sudden tonal change in character behavior, setting and violence. The open world is a loving drag to be in, and the vehicles are horrible to control, yet must be put up with in order to traverse the city in any timely manner. The guns make a poor match to Jak's platforming, which is largely unchanged from the first game. Then they shoehorn in this bit where you get a Back to the Future hoverboard and have to do Tony Hawk horseshit for no other reason than THPS was still a thriving IP at the time. Jak now talks, has a goatee, and totally DOES NOT GIVE A FUKK. Also, the small talking animal now swears! rear end! Hell!

Probably the worst bit is the lack of checkpoints during missions, which tend to run on the long side. There isn't a complete absence of them, but it's disheartening to spend fifteen minutes of tedious shooting and jumping only to get casually bumped off the edge by some robo-hummingbird and get slapped back to the beginning to do it all over again. Which is weird, because I've had a great time playing unforgiving games like Dark Souls - but Dark Souls is designed around this kind of difficulty. Deaths aren't cheap in DS, and it's typically your own fault for failure in that series. In Jak II, the arsenal of moves and weapons you're afforded don't seem to really be adequate defense or response to your enemies. Why give this character guns? It doesn't suit him.

I'm absolutely not having a fun time with this game, and I don't think it's going to turn a corner and get fun again. I kinda want to skip this and move on to the next Sly game, but I hate deviating from the challenge I sat for myself. I'll probably struggle through this game - I already did once. Back when it was the only new game I had and there weren't literal tens of thousands of other, less frustrating games to play, on multiple platforms.

Am I alone in feeling Jak II was an incredibly bad game from Naughty Dog? Has the developer made anything worse?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jak 2 is really bad but Jak 3 fixes literally everything is a good redemption.

But go ahead and play Up Your Arsenal and Band of Thieves to wash your mouth out they're excellent.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Am I alone in feeling Jak II was an incredibly bad game from Naughty Dog? Has the developer made anything worse?

Everything they made pre-Crash Bandicoot was awwwwwwful.

That '00-s era edge was everywhere - Shadow the Hedgehog's an obvious example, as is the second Ubisoft Prince of Persia game which went stupidly ~dark~ in much the same manner as Jak 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Everything they made pre-Crash Bandicoot was awwwwwwful.

That '00-s era edge was everywhere - Shadow the Hedgehog's an obvious example, as is the second Ubisoft Prince of Persia game which went stupidly ~dark~ in much the same manner as Jak 2.

Way of the Warrior is a treat, you dog!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Jak 2 is really bad but Jak 3 fixes literally everything is a good redemption.

But go ahead and play Up Your Arsenal and Band of Thieves to wash your mouth out they're excellent.

Jak 3 has one of the most amazingly cruel tutorial sections I've ever seen in a game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The founder of Namco, Masaya Nakamura has died. Break out your favorite versions of Namco's golden age releases.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I actually like playing the second Prince of Persia game best of any in the early 2000's trilogy, but you are right in the story being comically god awful.

I didn't think Jak 1 was great, but Jak 2 was just a miserable experience all around.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

It's not Chinese or a bootleg game but Codename STEAM on 3DS is a good example of a developer pitching a historical fantasy game to the west in a very tone-deaf manner only to learn that people really aren't as interested in their own history over here - maybe it's been supplanted by mainstream movie/tv, maybe people think their countries are too young to have interesting histories or are simply boring, maybe people are afraid to depict real events for fear of controversy from idiots, etc..

CN: Steam was also just a bad game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Jak 3 has one of the most amazingly cruel tutorial sections I've ever seen in a game.

I know they throw you into a gauntlet right away but I don't remember having any trouble with it so :shrug:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So those PS1 Parallel I/O port things to play burned disks. You still have to disk swap even with those attached?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

falz posted:

So those PS1 Parallel I/O port things to play burned disks. You still have to disk swap even with those attached?

Yeah, you put a legit disc in and turn it on with the cover open and spring installed. The disc spins for a sec and the goldfinger menu comes up, when it stops spinning replace the disc with your burn and choose the "start game" menu option.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

I know they throw you into a gauntlet right away but I don't remember having any trouble with it so :shrug:

Sure, if you already know what you're doing. Take another look at it through the eyes of someone who'd actually be using that tutorial section to learn how to play and see what it puts them through.

That thing is mean as hell.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

In the same vein of the PS1 CD-R talk, what's the current best method of playing burns on a PS2? Is there any way to do it without a hardware mod? I've never messed with PS2 hacking before but there's a bunch of stuff I want to play that I don't own and feel like now is as good a time as any.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

In the same vein of the PS1 CD-R talk, what's the current best method of playing burns on a PS2? Is there any way to do it without a hardware mod? I've never messed with PS2 hacking before but there's a bunch of stuff I want to play that I don't own and feel like now is as good a time as any.

A really bad and dumb disc swap method which some versions of used a custom top for your PS2 to facilitate easier swapping. The best method is get that Free MCBoot on a memory card and go to town with a HDD.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I've just used Free Mcboot (readily Google-able) and HD Loader to play stuff. I've never actually tried burning discs for the PS2, but I think Free McBoot will allow that, too.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

If we're talking PS2 games, then what 8-bit Miniboss said - Free McBoot, Open PS2 Loader or whatever, and adapting an SD card to act like a hard drive. One bonus is that you can use WinHIIP to write ISOs on your PC to the SD card; no need to burn discs and install them, and no need to install an old, increasingly scarce IDE drive with limited physical compatibility in your console.

For PS1 games, I don't think anything works with burns. Maybe a mod chip?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I forget the name now but there is software you can use via free mcboot to play games stored on a networked PC too.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
When I was 12 my dad said he'd get me a Genesis as a reward if I got a good report card. I did get a good report card but he didn't follow through with the deal. Well, now 26 years later I can say "gently caress you dad, I got myself a Genesis."

I've been going through the library of games that I missed out on, finally playing the Streets of Rage series, Sonic, Zerowing (lol... but it's good), etc... Then I discover that at least 2 of my favorite NES games have genesis versions that are pretty good! Tecmo Super Bowl (and there's a 2016-2017 ROMhack) and RC Pro Am! What other NES classics were released in 16 bit form on the Genesis?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's a handful of Rare ports, including Battletoads and Snake Rattle Roll, the later Sunsoft Batman games, as well as the Megaman Wily Wars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's pretty easy to hack the PS2 once you get the equipment. I found a network adapter discarded behind Gamestop and then $30-ish worth of stuff and I was running. This method only works for the fat model

You'll need a PS2 network adapter of course
SD to 2.5" IDE adapter
2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter IMPORTANT you specifically want this one or one where the power cable terminates parallel with the connector. The first one I bought had it perpendicular and there's zero clearance on the PS2 network adapter so you can't actually connect the cable.
Copy of Swap Magic for PS2. This is the most expensive component but it's worth it
Free mcboot to crack the software. I can't be bothered to elaborate on this but a quick Google search of "free mcboot" brings up the instructions and links in the very first hit. You'll also need special formatting software for copying over games to your "hard drive" (read: sd card) but it's all easily located.

It took me a rainy Saturday to set everything up but now I never stick a disc in my PS2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GutBomb posted:

When I was 12 my dad said he'd get me a Genesis as a reward if I got a good report card. I did get a good report card but he didn't follow through with the deal. Well, now 26 years later I can say "gently caress you dad, I got myself a Genesis."

I've been going through the library of games that I missed out on, finally playing the Streets of Rage series, Sonic, Zerowing (lol... but it's good), etc... Then I discover that at least 2 of my favorite NES games have genesis versions that are pretty good! Tecmo Super Bowl (and there's a 2016-2017 ROMhack) and RC Pro Am! What other NES classics were released in 16 bit form on the Genesis?

Bart vs. The Space Mutants
Action 52
Batman Return of the Joker
Cosmic Spacehead

oh wait you said classics

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Awesome I got freemcboot installed with my PS3 memory card adapter and got espgaluda running off a USB stick. Once I want to move up to a big drive with lots of games, what's the best thing to use? I understand USB is bad because it's too slow for a lot of things.

edit: totally missed al-azad's post up there, I think I have a network adapter somewhere so I'll go with that. Thanks for all the help!

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 31, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

Awesome I got freemcboot installed with my PS3 memory card adapter and got espgaluda running off a USB stick. Once I want to move up to a big drive with lots of games, what's the best thing to use? I understand USB is bad because it's too slow for a lot of things.

al-azad already posted what you would need if you went with SD cards. You could also replace the SD adapter with a SATA to IDE one instead if you still want to do hard drives, though large capacity ones may not be compatible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

azurite posted:

I've just used Free Mcboot (readily Google-able) and HD Loader to play stuff. I've never actually tried burning discs for the PS2, but I think Free McBoot will allow that, too.

You have to patch the ISO, and CD games have to be converted which is kind of a PITA last I tried it, but yeah ESR is pretty good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Captain Rufus posted:

And according to Shingen the Ruler on the NES said Shingen had a wife that popped out more kids than the entire quiver full movement. Just with a way better combat system than the Koei games of that timeframe. I still do want one of the Genghis Khan games though. I like the idea of playing as Byzantium and poo poo at the end of the empire. The only ones I have gotten was L Empeurer on the NES and RoTK on the Amiga. Except the manual is lost and I'd rather have Destiny of an Emperor for the 3 Kingdoms thingie. Also no option to play as LADY OSCAR SAMA in LE. (Hey if Jeanne D Arc could pull some historical bullshit why can't a Koei game using a fake character?)

Yet now Koei only seems to make Nobunaga or 3K games in that series style. And I have heard tales of real time combat which is bad.

Oh yeah I wouldn't mind getting Liberty or Death either. Goddamnit more poo poo to look out for. Bad enough I am never gonna find Carnage Heart in a store...

Kinda against the spirit of the thread and you may already know but there's an updated version of Carnage Heart for the PSP/Vita, Carnage Heart EXA. You can get it on the PlayStation Network.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm using something called Open PS2 LOader to run games off a memory stick and it's playing normal .iso files unpatched, if I end up using a HDD (or anything through the network adapter) will I have to start patching them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

I'm using something called Open PS2 LOader to run games off a memory stick and it's playing normal .iso files unpatched, if I end up using a HDD (or anything through the network adapter) will I have to start patching them?

No, OPL will still run them as is. You can run them off a SMB share too, but FMV and streaming audio will be stuttery.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I liked Undercover Cops but gently caress some of those enemies and the final stage.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

There's a handful of Rare ports, including Battletoads and Snake Rattle Roll, the later Sunsoft Batman games, as well as the Megaman Wily Wars.
Isn't it only really Return of the Joker? Though it's now called "Revenge of the Joker" for whatever reason, and IIRC isn't a terribly great port thereof. There is a Batman (1989) game for Genesis as well, but it's not that much like the NES game of the same name (though arguably closer than the Game Boy game they did - y'know, the one where Batman's primary means of combat is a gun).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RZA Encryption posted:

How do you use the gamecube controller [in RE4 Wii]? I could have sworn I tried that and it didn't work.

It's slightly convoluted or at least undocumented. IIRC you have to boot up with the nunchuk and a GCN controller plugged in and then just unplug the nunchuk once you're in the playable part of the game or something. Switches over to the laser pointer instead of the crosshair and you can go to town just as before.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Discount Viscount posted:

It's slightly convoluted or at least undocumented. IIRC you have to boot up with the nunchuk and a GCN controller plugged in and then just unplug the nunchuk once you're in the playable part of the game or something. Switches over to the laser pointer instead of the crosshair and you can go to town just as before.
I've only ever played the Wii version of RE4. Halfway through my second playthrough I discovered I could use a GCN pad and I lasted all of five minutes before deciding I hated it and it ruined my enjoyment of the game. It's a game I'd really love to play again someday and I've been tempted to pick up the PS4 version but seriously I dread the idea of aiming with the stick.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

You have to patch the ISO, and CD games have to be converted which is kind of a PITA last I tried it, but yeah ESR is pretty good.

Fortunately there's only a handful of games that have trouble running off the hard drive. I think I've had to patch two games total and use disks instead of just running a copy straight off the hard drive.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

!!

Thanks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

al-azad posted:

It's pretty easy to hack the PS2 once you get the equipment. I found a network adapter discarded behind Gamestop and then $30-ish worth of stuff and I was running. This method only works for the fat model

You'll need a PS2 network adapter of course
SD to 2.5" IDE adapter
2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter IMPORTANT you specifically want this one or one where the power cable terminates parallel with the connector. The first one I bought had it perpendicular and there's zero clearance on the PS2 network adapter so you can't actually connect the cable.
Copy of Swap Magic for PS2. This is the most expensive component but it's worth it
Free mcboot to crack the software. I can't be bothered to elaborate on this but a quick Google search of "free mcboot" brings up the instructions and links in the very first hit. You'll also need special formatting software for copying over games to your "hard drive" (read: sd card) but it's all easily located.

It took me a rainy Saturday to set everything up but now I never stick a disc in my PS2.

I do have a copy of HD Loader, and I have a network adapter and hard drive already set up. Can I install freemcboot through hd loader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
You can also always just pick up a cheap old IDE hard drive to use on the PS2. Most games can't really take advantage of the no-seek-time advantages of flash memory, and you can get like a 320 GB drive for under $20 if you're willing to look around, and like $40 if you just want to buy the first one you can find.

I mean if you want to get a comparable size 256 GB SD card and not have it be junk that's as slow as the PS2 DVD drive, you still have to shell out around $60-$80 for that these days.

• Locked thread