Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I think I'm getting progressively worse at the game as I play it, paradoxically.

I also had a run yesterday night wherein I found a black chest on floor one... in a secret room after I'd already cleared the rest of the floor (minus the boss), had no keys left, and not enough casings to get a key from the shop. :shepicide:

Thought perhaps the boss would drop a key, but I didn't live long enough to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I find it helpful to wait with opening chests until you've cleared out the floor already.

Peronally I've gotten to the level where I can get to the Hollow consistently and to the Forge on about one third of my runs. Still working on the Bullet, though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It's especially helpful to forego opening chests before the boss, at least for the first two floors or so, because it guarantees a gun drop from the boss. And outside of the Ammoconda, all the bosses on the first two floors are pretty much as easy as you're going to get on your journey down. So it's best to use that time to stock up on weapons early.

VVVV
Yeah, Ammoconda is a pain to deal with. He's constantly shooting, his bullet patterns are weird, and while he has the least amount of health than the other two second floor bosses, his egg eating gimmick makes the fight draw on for too long.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 30, 2017

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

discworld is all I read posted:

It's especially helpful to forego opening chests before the boss, at least for the first two floors or so, because it guarantees a gun drop from the boss. And outside of the Ammoconda, all the bosses on the first two floors are pretty much as easy as you're going to get on your journey down. So it's best to use that time to stock up on weapons early.

Probably just bad luck that every time I made it to a 2nd floor boss it's been ammoconda.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Okay, I'm not saying the people who said that secret walls are colored differently earlier were hoaxing, and those pictures were convincing. But:

Man, I'm just not seeing it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think it must be down to brightness.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

VVVV
Yeah, Ammoconda is a pain to deal with. He's constantly shooting, his bullet patterns are weird, and while he has the least amount of health than the other two second floor bosses, his egg eating gimmick makes the fight draw on for too long.

CzarChasm posted:

Probably just bad luck that every time I made it to a 2nd floor boss it's been ammoconda.

Man, I must be the weird guy here because I find Ammoconda to be the easiest of the second floor bosses. Since he is so long it's pretty easy to just keep an eye on your character and shoot in his general direction and you'll hit more often than not.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

An interesting... bug? I guess? You can go to the 6th chamber before doing the past of the bonus characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samovar posted:

An interesting... bug? I guess? You can go to the 6th chamber before doing the past of the bonus characters.

Because those bonus characters didn't used to have pasts.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Man, I must be the weird guy here because I find Ammoconda to be the easiest of the second floor bosses. Since he is so long it's pretty easy to just keep an eye on your character and shoot in his general direction and you'll hit more often than not.
Idk, I find Gorgun's hardest move to be that circular bullet spread she does and usually it seems to be the move she does the least, so I just blank that. And the Beholster's hardest move I suppose is the little eyeballs he spawns; they just throw me off with the other poo poo going on and they also explode when they die (though that helps get rid of some bullets coming in). But yeah, Ammoconda healing itself is more or less what makes that fight so dire to me; it feels like the eggs he spawns just have so much health that it's not usually feasible to burn them down before he eats them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

My first ever Master Round was on the Ammoconda despite him being the hardest boss for me currently (for the same reason that his eggs have a ton of health.)

The secret to victory is a Potion of Gun Friendship and a RUB-ADYNE gun :v:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Just finished this run (had to get the picture before the actual end of the run because I was going to kill a past)

This is the most poo poo I've ever had in a single run by a large amount. Just crazy amounts of stuff.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Agent355 posted:

Just finished this run (had to get the picture before the actual end of the run because I was going to kill a past)

This is the most poo poo I've ever had in a single run by a large amount. Just crazy amounts of stuff.

Was this a clone run or did you just get a crazy amount of chest drops at the end of rooms or something? Hell, you were one piece away from transforming into Cormorant which I've never managed to do in over 120 hours of play.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Clone run combined with ring of chest friendship + mimic teeth necklace.

So I was spawning a chest every few rooms that I could always open since mimics are never locked. The overall quality of items was relatively garbage, I didn't get anything better than a green chest all run, but drat is that alot of stuff.

E: also with no need to buy keys and a fair amount of coolness I was buying out the shops on every level just for the hell of it.

EE: and man my next run starts with a floor 1 seven leaf clover. It's a beautiful day to be a gungeon. And a mimic tooth necklace on the next floor.... unlimited black/red chests if I'm willing to fight super mimics... sure I'm game.

EEE: This was my very first winning (the entire gungeon) run. Turns out 100 golden bullets and a doodad to stop time makes it pretty easy. That last boss though, wow.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 31, 2017

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
I just beat the dragun for the first time.... since getting the game in july....
:negative:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Hearing all these success(?) stories makes me feel like I've really accomplished something here :allears:

I've got the video and audio recorded for the next video, just need to find time to chop together the audio. It should be up in the next day or so! It's a real nailbiter of an episode!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I just beat the dragun for the first time.... since getting the game in july....
:negative:

Don't feel bad, I've had it about 2-3 months and I just got to the fourth floor for the first time on Friday.

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's the segments he adds that gently caress me up. I never seem to have a strong weapon whenever I meet him, which makes breaking the segments in time a challenge. By comparison, the Gorgun's a piece of cake. I always end up eating a hit or two whenever I fight the Bullet King on the first floor as well.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

Hearing all these success(?) stories makes me feel like I've really accomplished something here :allears:

I've got the video and audio recorded for the next video, just need to find time to chop together the audio. It should be up in the next day or so! It's a real nailbiter of an episode!

Looking forward to it, Scruffy. I desperately need to watch someone better at this game than I, to cleanse my palate.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I got to the second boss for the first time, thanks to scruffy. :unsmith:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a real humdinger of a run folks!

A Very Active (Item) Run/Polsy

Who's next to ENTER THE GUNGEON?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
After around 90 deaths, I made it to the Dragun for the first time, and dropped off the gunpowder to the smith.

It was my second time in the forge... the first time, I found the Crown of Guns and Remote Bullets and facerolled my way there until something set me on fire.

Also, sometimes the RNG trolls the hell out of you. Like my first time clearing floor 1 without losing hearts. (I ate an armour on the boss, so no Master Round that time)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Picked this game up during the recent sale....

Got the primer, lead, and powder....everything was going great....

Then I met the kill pillars :negative:

I hate life.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I don't know if something changed with the supply drop update, but I'm having a really hard time hearing your commentary in this video.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
By the by, you missed your water barrel in the first combat room you came into. You didn't break it, it's around a couple minutes in.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
99% sure I remember the blue secret walls being removed in like, one of the first patches.

I think it happened in 1.1.0 beta 3 "Fixed a lighting issue which caused secret doors to be very obvious", but I feel like it was way earlier than that? Like around the same time as "Starter guns can no longer be used to reveal secret doors"

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 1, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CirclMastr posted:

I don't know if something changed with the supply drop update, but I'm having a really hard time hearing your commentary in this video.

Sounds like he forgot to turn on auto-ducking maybe?

Kemix posted:

By the by, you missed your water barrel in the first combat room you came into. You didn't break it, it's around a couple minutes in.

That one was broken by an enemy. He gets a little salty about it on the way out of the room even.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

RickVoid posted:

That one was broken by an enemy. He gets a little salty about it on the way out of the room even.

The room before that room.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
For the record, you tossed 6 guns into the grinder.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Eye of Beholster carried me through most of my successful runs, not sure why you don't like it. :v:

----
Also having fortune's favor + potion of lead skin is pretty funny -- just remember to use them (scruffy!) and you are pretty much invulnerable.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 1, 2017

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

I think you mixed long reload time with long charge time that one moment.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Scruffy picks up a gun: "Yeah, it's an okay gun. Not one of my favourites, but there's certainly a lot worse weapons to pick up."

Ten minutes later: "I am the right hand of Death, the hour of reckoning is now. All shall fall by my guns."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I am still baffled at the fact that he has a weapon that can instantly turn the worst enemies in a room into assets and doesn't see the point.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah I dunno, I disagree with scruffy on a lot of gun good/gun bad, and it also bugs me that he will have 6 or 7 gats and still insist on conserving ammo for all of them when you need one or two fully loaded guns at most for most bosses.

But then he's also way more successful than I am on the reg so what do I know.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You can get more than none secret room per floor?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Glacier's actually automatic believe it or not, for a C rank and 45 casings base price it's really quite nice especially if you find it on the first floor. I don't know if you'd have gotten the Wallmonger on the ammo you had for it at the time but it deals 8 damage base + 6 for the explosion which is actually 5 more points of damage than the Void Marshal. It's 5x slower to shoot, sure, but you might not have taken that hit thanks to bullet destruction.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

The Mine Flayer is actually a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Illithids, or 'Mind Flayers', are squid-headed humanoid monstrosities with terrible psychic domination powers. They also grapple onto the heads of victims they can't, or don't want to, dominate and suck their brain out through their skull.

And yes, trap sprung.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Oh yeah, one thing you didn't show off is stealing from the shop with the grapple hook. It ruins the main shop for the rest of the run, but if you're already near the last floor anyway, might as well snag something extra right? Alternatively there's other items you can use to steal from the shop that don't have a guaranteed chance of resulting in you getting caught and the shopkeeper removing all his wares from future floors.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Mine flayers a chump with any explosive weapon, just fyi.

And you can shoot rubber bullets in mid-flight to interrupt them.

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 1, 2017

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Lazy Bear posted:

The Mine Flayer is actually a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Illithids, or 'Mind Flayers', are squid-headed humanoid monstrosities with terrible psychic domination powers. They also grapple onto the heads of victims they can't, or don't want to, dominate and suck their brain out through their skull.

And yes, trap sprung.

The Mine Flayer name is specifically a reference to Mind Flayers, yeah. From what I recall his business with the bell is some sort of Dark Souls or Bloodborne reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

The Mine Flayer name is specifically a reference to Mind Flayers, yeah. From what I recall his business with the bell is some sort of Dark Souls or Bloodborne reference.

Older than those, it's Demon's Souls. There were tentacle-headed guards wandering around the cells in the Tower of Latria, and you could tell if one was nearby by the clanking of the bell he carried.

That's a neat reference, well-done Dev team.

• Locked thread