Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well now I feel weird that my favorite Atelier (that actually has Atelier in the name) is still Totori. :downs:

E&L has better gameplay, and Ayesha has better supporting characters, but I liked Totori as a protagonist more than the others, so it's still my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

ImpAtom posted:

I would like Meruru the most of the Arland games if not for the frigging Rorona thing in it which is just The Worst.

Yeah, I could've done without that part, but it didn't bother me enough to drag down the rest of the game.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well now I feel weird that my favorite Atelier (that actually has Atelier in the name) is still Totori. :downs:

If Totori's timeline was more relaxed/forgiving, it would be my favorite. Unfortunately, it affects my entire playthrough, unlike say the Rorona parts of Meruru which I can just ignore while playing the rest of the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I beat Totori once and then dropped it because the game didn't let me keep the gear that increased travel speed and reduced harvest time on a new game+. That was the only thing I wanted from a new game+ . In Meruru you do get to keep it so it was much more relaxing to replay.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Is Toukiden any different from all the other MonHun-likes?

It's a looooooooooooot quicker and I'd say the controls are probably the tightest. As far as actual gameplay goes, it's probably the closest to MonHun of all the clones, the main differences are you actually get more AI teammates than just a Felyne or two and the controls are more Musou-y than MonHun. Also it's super satisfying to pull off the gauntlet special move when you just turn into a pendulum of fists and screenshakes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mason Dixon posted:

If Totori's timeline was more relaxed/forgiving, it would be my favorite. Unfortunately, it affects my entire playthrough, unlike say the Rorona parts of Meruru which I can just ignore while playing the rest of the game.

tbh I felt Totori's timeline was more forgiving than both Meruru and Rorona's (especially Rorona's. That one kept dragging me back to town for deadlines when all I wanted was to explore). Though of course how restrictive the timeline is depends entirely on how quickly you craft the quick movement item, the quick gathering item, and the teleportation item. Do it fast and you'll easily have a year left over before it's time to build the boat, and another year left over before the end of the game.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

U-DO Burger posted:

tbh I felt Totori's timeline was more forgiving than both Meruru and Rorona's (especially Rorona's. That one kept dragging me back to town for deadlines when all I wanted was to explore). Though of course how restrictive the timeline is depends entirely on how quickly you craft the quick movement item, the quick gathering item, and the teleportation item. Do it fast and you'll easily have a year left over before it's time to build the boat, and another year left over before the end of the game.

Totori was my first Atelier game, and it sounds like I would not have had the timeline complaint if I had any previous experience with the series. I basically did NG blind, no guides/walkthroughs/forum advice, so I had no clue how important the reduce time/movement would be. I mean, several in-game years sounded like a ton of time for me to do whatever, wander back and forth across the map at my leisure and still get everything done :downs: . When that proved very wrong, I figured I would do better on NG+ since I had eventually made the quick items in NG, until:

AG3 posted:

I beat Totori once and then dropped it because the game didn't let me keep the gear that increased travel speed and reduced harvest time on a new game+. That was the only thing I wanted from a new game+ . In Meruru you do get to keep it so it was much more relaxing to replay.

Yeah, at that point, I decided I still really liked Totori but I needed to take a break and play some other games. Not surprisingly, next time I played an Atelier game it was Meruru.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

atelier games have time limits? do they all have that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

atelier games have time limits? do they all have that?

they've phased then out. by eschatology they're functionally non-existent and by Shallie they're literally non-existent

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Besides Shallie and Sophie, yeah. In the first two Dusk games it's just a structural thing, to the point that most people sleep off the last months of E&L. Firis brings it back for the initial goal of becoming a certified alchemist.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 24, 2017

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

Oh... MK is an Atelier game?

whelp, guess I need to start picking them up.

Wait, atelier plays like Mana Khemia? That's a very good checkmark in the Pro Atelier section then.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Wait, atelier plays like Mana Khemia? That's a very good checkmark in the Pro Atelier section then.

It depends. The combat system isn't identical but it's similar (time cards/combos/all that but with various gimmicks) but the alchemy and item collecting and all that is in the same vein, yeah.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

the arland games are a fair bit simpler but yeah for the dusk games, at least as far as i remember mana khemia

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Make bombs, smoke weed, eat cake, play Atelier!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wanted to finish Cyber Sleuth tonight but holy poo poo this final boss is just unfair. It's just a speed check to see if you can kill the adds before they spam your team into oblivion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does Cyber Sleuth have a boss that can remove your party members with no way to bring them back?

How's portable Necrodancer?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

SelenicMartian posted:

Does Cyber Sleuth have a boss that can remove your party members with no way to bring them back?

How's portable Necrodancer?

Necrodancer seems just fine but I am bad at it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SelenicMartian posted:

Not that I remember. There are a few who can instakill your Digimon or kick them back into your reserves, but there are usually ways around it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The additional scenes they added to Shallie plus feel like the Shallies shouldn't even be there and they were given a line just to make them relevant. It's like they're supposed to be saying what the audience should be thinking.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dehry posted:

The additional scenes they added to Shallie plus feel like the Shallies shouldn't even be there and they were given a line just to make them relevant. It's like they're supposed to be saying what the audience should be thinking.

They were pretty irrelevant in the first version as well. They pretty much just bumbled around until Keithgriff told them what to do. Also, Ayesha cures the mom instead of the game letting the main characters do it.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
just got my vita set up with adrenaline. feels good, esp since my psp bit the dust a few months ago.

gonna play so much half minute hero

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I bought Atelier Ayesha on the recommendation of this thread and really enjoyed it. It looks like I should get the 2nd one in that series, Escha & Logy, next. Is the vita port better, or the ps3 version?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As per usual Vita stuff has a bit more content, but not huge amounts, but a worse framerate. So it depends which you care about more really. The PS3 version also has a few translation errors that never got fixed which I think were in the Vita version, but don't quote me on that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

As per usual Vita stuff has a bit more content, but not huge amounts, but a worse framerate. So it depends which you care about more really. The PS3 version also has a few translation errors that never got fixed which I think were in the Vita version, but don't quote me on that.

Ok, thanks, so the framerate is not a big deal? Do these games ever go on sale?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not huge but it also bothers some people more than others so. They go on sale pretty regularly I think.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

redreader posted:

It's just your preference. Since it's not an action game it doesn't affect gameplay really. Here's what's added in the vita version: http://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/escha-logy-plus/add01.php (DLC party members, costumes, new bosses, a few new events)

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

They don't do random sales but usually the Golden Week sales and Holiday sales bring a $20 sale.

Speaking of which, I finished a run of Atelier Shallie Plus. The ending change wasn't too drastic but at least filled some plot holes.

They just plant Flameu's seed and Linca's voice was added to the final boss.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It took me months to realize it but apparently keeping your finger on the back touch pad prevents Vita from turning the screen dark when you let go of the useful controls in cutscenes.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

SelenicMartian posted:

It took me months to realize it but apparently keeping your finger on the back touch pad prevents Vita from turning the screen dark when you let go of the useful controls in cutscenes.

Had my Vita since it came out and never knew this. I just got into the habit of poking the analog stick occasionally during long periods of no player input. It was a nuisance, but to be honest I think the only games where I ran into auto-dimming were FFX HD, World of Final Fantasy, and I think Conception 2 (because I put the text on auto-advance for a while).

They never did add the ability to turn that option off though, did they?

"What doesn't kill ya... usually succeeds in the second attempt." - Mr. Krabs

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SelenicMartian posted:

I forget the back touch pad exists until I'm forced to use it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I started hitting it after buying injustice from the last flash sale. Having to hit the analog stick every time a movie played got really annoying considering the large amount of them in story mode.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Finally beat Dangan Ronpa 2 - it was quite the ride. Some pretty good reveals, and the final chapter had me grinning like an idiot.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Man i still have to beat DR2 after doing like the first chapter about 2 years ago, it's that awkward thing where I don't know if I should start again because i won't remember it or maybe that would be too boring and i'd be fine to just carry on where i left off and I end up just not playing it at all after all the indecision

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Start over. Anything longer than a couple of months and you'll have forgotten the subtleties of whatever game you were playing.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Man i still have to beat DR2 after doing like the first chapter about 2 years ago, it's that awkward thing where I don't know if I should start again because i won't remember it or maybe that would be too boring and i'd be fine to just carry on where i left off and I end up just not playing it at all after all the indecision

i played the first chapter of dr2 like 3 times because of this and it was all worth it when i finally stuck it out. start over.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Just heads up to Shallie players, the Life Goals and side goals are incorrectly pasted. Gotta love "Break 100 Barrels" actually being "Craft 100 Sundries."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The ps3 version always displayed the last goal you accomplished instead of your current. Could it be the same issue? It's the strangest design decision I've ever seen.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Renoistic posted:

The ps3 version always displayed the last goal you accomplished instead of your current. Could it be the same issue? It's the strangest design decision I've ever seen.

Nope, tested it out over several chapters. Legitimately wrong entries. Not enough to cause issues but odd enough to catch every once in a while. Not surprising, every Plus version has some sort of major glitch.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So like, are there any stores that sell physical Vita games anymore or is it all online only? I don't really like having packages sent to where I live but I still like having physical media as I am a curmudgeon.

I live in the US.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

mandatory lesbian posted:

So like, are there any stores that sell physical Vita games anymore or is it all online only? I don't really like having packages sent to where I live but I still like having physical media as I am a curmudgeon.

I live in the US.

Only GameStop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sea Sponge Run posted:

if you are male you prolly won't like atelier

lol