Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This lebron Barkley fight makes shut up and jam all the more prophetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Rick posted:

On the one hand James didn't actually respond to the one bit of valid criticism Barkley's ever made of him (at this point the Cavs are almost out of moves, I don't really know what else they can do right now but hope maybe that GMs are willing to take draft first round picks in like 2021 for players that normally would net a recent second rounder), but on the other he roasted him for all the other bad ones he's made over the years, so I'm cool with it.

Exactly what was Barkley's "valid criticism"?

Here's the quote ESPN has from Barkley

quote:

"Inappropriate. Whiny. All of the above," Barkley said of James last week. "The Cleveland Cavaliers, they have given him everything he wanted. They have the highest payroll in NBA history. He wanted J.R. Smith last summer, they paid him. He wanted [Iman] Shumpert last summer. They brought in Kyle Korver. He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player. They're the defending champs."

LeBron is right that the Cavs could use a backup PG and I have no problem with him saying it. Also LeBron was proven right to want Love over Wiggins, he was right to want to retain Thompson, he was right to want Shump and JR over Waiters, and he will likely be correct in preferring Korver to Mo.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Considering Mo Williams wasn't actually playing this year it's not exactly prescient to prefer Korver over him. Did you mean Dunleavy?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Considering Mo Williams wasn't actually playing this year it's not exactly prescient to prefer Korver over him. Did you mean Dunleavy?

No I meant Mo Williams, signing off on trading Panthro would've been very difficult for Lion-O.

(I actually forgot Dunleavy was part of the deal)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

On the one hand James didn't actually respond to the one bit of valid criticism Barkley's ever made of him (at this point the Cavs are almost out of moves, I don't really know what else they can do right now but hope maybe that GMs are willing to take draft first round picks in like 2021 for players that normally would net a recent second rounder), but on the other he roasted him for all the other bad ones he's made over the years, so I'm cool with it.

I mean, they are the reigning champs. It's ok to be out of moves when you are standing at "NBA Champion". Backup PG can be found without giving up assets, and he was answering a question.

It always bugs me, people complain that athletes give dumb quotes, but instead of "We're a team and we'll stick together" Lebron gave some actual analysis and gets roasted for it.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Metapod posted:

I know a lot of people don't care about the wnba but whoa https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/826248304702918656

I don't know anything about the players they traded for her (seems like a lot) but I would argue she's the best women's player that has ever lived so the deal was probably worth it. I had read that she had a lot of behind the scenes problems with Chicago management but never really thought she would force out because she has a really large presence in the community.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lockback posted:

I mean, they are the reigning champs. It's ok to be out of moves when you are standing at "NBA Champion". Backup PG can be found without giving up assets, and he was answering a question.

It always bugs me, people complain that athletes give dumb quotes, but instead of "We're a team and we'll stick together" Lebron gave some actual analysis and gets roasted for it.

Yeah there's literally no way in hell you can get that Cavs team to the finals without being out of moves. They unfortunately started with very few assets (Waiters, Bennett, Zeller, and CJ Miles?) and then had to give big raises to Lebron, Kyrie, Love, Shump, JR and Thompson.

Jerry Stackhouse
Apr 12, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

You're a better poster than we deserve. Will you be doing the I Ching playoff predictions this year?

I've got a copy of the Tung Shing, and if I can figure out how to use it in time then yeah.

Also ty to everybody who took the time to read that thing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LeBron rules.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

More people should let Charles Barkley know he's a huge shithead.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, are the Celtics going to trade that Nets pick in a package for Butler? If not, what the hell are they going to do with it?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The oldest, slowest assist-to-dunk in the nba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Wosxo8D5g

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Paul Zuvella posted:

More people should let Charles Barkley know he's a huge shithead.

He's a likeable shithead though, isn't he?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lowry needs to come home next year. Lowry and Embiid together would be gold.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, are the Celtics going to trade that Nets pick in a package for Butler? If not, what the hell are they going to do with it?

I mean, see if they get #1 and then have more leverage. Butler is an interesting piece but I don't think he is a magic fit for them. I'd rather try and get Boogie.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I feel like Butler would be easier to trade for. The Kings are deluded into thinking they can compete every year and I think less likely to trade Cousins. The Bulls front office are looking for a scapegoat.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

teagone posted:

He's a likeable shithead though, isn't he?

Kinda. He's my favorite player of all time, but his act has worn thin.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

WhyteRyce posted:

Pretty much the only time we have a chance is if Lawson elevates his game above trash sub replacement level

Maybe he can pretend to play the Pacers every night. He sure elevated his game last Friday. Sonofabitch....

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao I still love Charles Barkley. I'd drink some beer and eat ribs with that dude.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Kinda. He's my favorite player of all time, but his act has worn thin.

Especially because it's painfully obvious that his "3s are ruining the game" stance is literally because he was, quite literally, one of the worst 3 point shooters in the history of the league and he's butthurt that people may think he would be bad today.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Especially because it's painfully obvious that his "3s are ruining the game" stance is literally because he was, quite literally, one of the worst 3 point shooters in the history of the league and he's butthurt that people may think he would be bad today.

Agreed. Lebron's rant would've been much better if he would've just focused on Barkley post-retirement. What exactly is wrong with saying "I am not a role model"?

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Charles Barkley rules

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Agreed. Lebron's rant would've been much better if he would've just focused on Barkley post-retirement. What exactly is wrong with saying "I am not a role model"?

I mean credit to him for not just saying "I have rings" so I think he avoided his basketball career shortcomings pretty well for the most part

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Charles Barkley does rule and he didn't even say anything that wrong about Lebron.

barkley posted:

"Inappropriate. Whiny. All of the above," Barkley said of James last week. "The Cleveland Cavaliers, they have given him everything he wanted. They have the highest payroll in NBA history. He wanted J.R. Smith last summer, they paid him. He wanted [Iman] Shumpert last summer. They brought in Kyle Korver. He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player. They're the defending champs."

Lebron whines like a mother fucker and everyone hated that guy for YEARS because of it. He also completely augmented the team to his liking as he did in Miami too. Got Tristan Thompson paid, got J.R. Smith paid, got Mo Williams tossed out of town.

Also Lebron is completely right about Barkley too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes you a hypocrite to say that and then turn around (20 years later) and try to rip a guy apart because of his attitude. It's doubly wrong when there is also nothing wrong with the guys attitude.

Like, there is nothing wrong with me saying "I won't work anywhere that doesn't give me 4 weeks of PTO", but then I can't turn around and say "Software Managers shouldn't be bitching about their PTO!".

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't know i have the same thought really. There are a few of us that feel that way. I find many games unwatchable and too many teams jack up 30+ three point attempts per game. Only a handful of teams can justify that, the rest just look like amateurs. Frankly its kind of boring sometimes. There have been other times i have been disapointed with the NBA.
Late 90's thugball was getting out of control until the league stepped in to move the game in another direction.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chilihead posted:

I don't know i have the same thought really. There are a few of us that feel that way. I find many games unwatchable and too many teams jack up 30+ three point attempts per game. Only a handful of teams can justify that, the rest just look like amateurs. Frankly its kind of boring sometimes. There have been other times i have been disapointed with the NBA.
Late 90's thugball was getting out of control until the league stepped in to move the game in another direction.

I'm not really sure what they could do to discourage the amount of 3s teams take unless they do something drastic like removing them or widening the court. Making the line longer won't mean much until it drops the expected value of an open 3pt shot to the same as a contested mid-range which would result in corner 3s being completely removed and the line moved back like 3 more feet.

Which would then make teams with shooting like the Warriors even more dangerous in comparison to other teams.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like, if you move the 3pt line back far enough so that percentages drop to like 30-33%, any team that has players that can hit 3s at this new line at 35-38% will stretch the defense even more than they do now and make every kind of scoring easier. In a way, extending the line makes the game even more 3pt oriented for the best shooting teams. Not sure if that is the kind of change people want.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/826406416785276928

No idea if they're going to actually do it or not, but I hope they do.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CharlesOakley34/status/826448322131009537

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So do people want 20 second isos every possession or something, because that's the only real alternative to lessening the 3-point line

And before you answer, watch 20 games of this year's Mavericks and Harrison Barnes

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes you a hypocrite to say that and then turn around (20 years later) and try to rip a guy apart because of his attitude. It's doubly wrong when there is also nothing wrong with the guys attitude.

Like, there is nothing wrong with me saying "I won't work anywhere that doesn't give me 4 weeks of PTO", but then I can't turn around and say "Software Managers shouldn't be bitching about their PTO!".

They are completely different things.

Barkley called LeBron out for being a whiny pussy. LeBron countered with "he's an rear end in a top hat".

Doltos posted:

Charles Barkley does rule and he didn't even say anything that wrong about Lebron.

Also Lebron is completely right about Barkley too.

exactly.

Technically they are both attitude problems, but they are completely different types of attitude problems.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

Fisher’s relationship with Jackson, his former coach on the Lakers, soured during their time together in New York. Fisher made it clear in the article that he had not been happy trying to coach to Jackson’s specifications, even if Jackson had won 11 N.B.A. titles as a head coach, and suggested that he had been unwisely asked to impose the past on the present.

“They don’t teach ninth-grade algebra the same way they used to teach ninth-grade algebra,” Fisher said.

He also asserted that the current Knicks, under Hornacek, have more talent than his Knicks teams did but nothing to show for it.

“We were able to take a team that wasn’t as talented as the team they have now, and we were much better,” Fisher said. “And much further along than this group is that they have now.’’

Derek Fisher was poo poo and he should start a grumpy podcast with Mark Jackson where they tell the world how great they are.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

LeBron strongarmed the Cavs into overpaying for all of his agent/friend's clients and then complains that the front office isn't doing enough. There's nothing left to do! They have no flexibility left. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

I don't hate LeBron or anything but it's completely asinine that he publicly called out Griffin for this poo poo in the first place.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cavs are bringing in Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich (lol) and Lance Stephenson for try outs tomorrow. If Lance is healthy I think he would be a really good pick up for them.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Cavs are bringing in Mario Chalmers, Kirk Hinrich (lol) and Lance Stephenson for try outs tomorrow. If Lance is healthy I think he would be a really good pick up for them.

Nooooooooooooo...Larry please don't let this happen. Pick up Lance now!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mario Chalmers was quite good in mephis last year before getting hurt. He would be the best option if healthy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah, Lance would give them some playmaking and help them defensively. He's not the worst idea for what they need.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tbf all LeBron said is that they need a backup Point Guard. Which is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Please god sign Kirk Cavs. I want Kirk Hinrich to win a ring.

• Locked thread