Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Try to visualize yourself taller, so :thejoke: doesn't go quite so far over your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Godholio posted:

Try to visualize yourself taller, so :thejoke: doesn't go quite so far over your head.

Oh, I thought he was making a joke on our economic stability or quality of life. Was just pointing out that first/second/third world doesn't have anything to do with any of that, it's just "us/them/other" from the cold war.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Was just pointing out that first/second/third world doesn't have anything to do with any of that, it's just "us/them/other" from the cold war.
Yes, I know, though the common usage of the term has come to mean "an underdeveloped country", likewise saying "first world problems" for small/insignificant inconveniences is a nonsense phrase if you keep to the original meaning. Australia is a first world country too. But mainly

Godholio posted:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
HKS and Andrew Brilliant built a time attack car:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/01/hks-gts800-the-tsukuba-record-challenger/

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
:awesome:

God drat, really wanna know if that thing can push 800hp with that flat four like it talks about in the article.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if they blow up a few and then put in something else. Although it has a dry sump and is up to 2.5l, and I'm guessing sleeved, so it should be able to do enough laps at an event. I mean, we just had an ej25 with a deck plate and accusump and that held up reasonably well.

jamal fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 29, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:gizz:

God drat that is hot.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I like the rear end treatment; the taillights bordering the rear wheel vent is kinda neat. Nice looking intake manifold too.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've always wondered about his design workflow. I assume has has a render farm for CFD/Aero. Or is it more organic, with plywood mockup, track time, and then a CF fab shop?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty much all modeled and simulated as far as I know. Voltex does have that 'wind tunnel" that probably gets used a little, and I have seen some scale model stuff for a standing mile gtr.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Aiming for the track record at Tsukuba, so what is the record there? All I can seem to find are old times or ones in 'street' cars.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Seriouspost: Check how much to have an :australia: goon get some for you. Shipping may not be that bad if you don't want them fast, and it's probably not massively likely lumps of cast metal could be terminally damaged en route.

They call em 'Tridents' here in NZ. Link to trademe with a fair few on offer

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Aiming for the track record at Tsukuba, so what is the record there? All I can seem to find are old times or ones in 'street' cars.

Under Suzuki, mentioned the in the article, set a 50.746 last year in an S15 Silvia, according to Japanese wiki. Super Formula has it all the way down to 43.304 though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish we had these articles, but written at a higher technical level.

Also, I've noticed Japanese, German, and American race car builds are different in a lot of subtle ways but it's unmistakable where it was built.
Japanese stuff has a simple crudeness, but elegance.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

Im not seeing a deep dish version of the ansen sprints though. I found a place where you can custom order a similar set but then Im looking at $1400. Ill probably go with soft 8s for less then $300. :v:

Have you looked at US Wheels Indy U101, also available on Summit? They come in 15x10 -50mm offset: http://us-mags.com/indy-u101-w-142.htm

Also, the ones you linked above aren't slotted mags, they're an aluminum version of the Chevy Rally wheel (not that they don't look good.)
US Wheels has those, too: http://us-mags.com/big-slot-u600-w-4946.htm
Though, frustratingly, they don't have offset specs on that page.

Also, holy poo poo, I just found wheels for my Cutlass when I get tired of the peeling Torq-Thrust IIs on it: http://us-mags.com/saber-u437-w-5714.htm
Or maybe these, which are look a lot like the Hurst wheels from back when my car was new: http://us-mags.com/offy-u412-w-1312.htm
Actually, I think these are closer: http://us-mags.com/z16-u401-w-7632.htm

Something for the square Chevy truck guys: http://us-mags.com/scottsdale-u440-w-6898.htm
and: http://us-mags.com/sierra-u398-5-lug-w-7844.htm 6-lug: http://us-mags.com/sierra-u399-6-lug-w-7843.htm

edit: oh, nope. those Sabers are $800.... each.
edit 2: I'm a dope. Those are all US Mags not US Wheels. US Wheels does some nice muscle car reps, though: http://www.uswheel.com/collections/muscle-car

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 30, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wish there was a podcast like The Dollop, with one guy telling a story / being knowledgeable about something, and another guy listening and making funny comments, but about cars and engineering.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I wish there was a podcast like The Dollop, with one guy telling a story / being knowledgeable about something, and another guy listening and making funny comments, but about cars and engineering.

As a huge dollop fan and all around dummy, I will gladly play the dummy. I vote Adiabatic for knowledge man. 14" should make a guest appearance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Have a rotating cast of experts, we can probably scrounge up enough people to talk about their "thing" to give it real legs.

I nominate kastein to talk about Jeeps to get us kicked off.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Here's a thing that will never happen

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

I'm fine with this if you call it a Falcon.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Powershift posted:

Those rear seats are useless. 5' and over need not apply.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Coredump posted:

The whole point is to be able to justify it because you can put kids in the back seat. Seems useful to me.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh no Mr. Insurance, it's not a sports car, it has a backseat. Clearly that makes it a family car

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nm posted:

The whole point is to be able to justify it because you can put kids in the back seat. Seems useful to me.

You can do that with the Mustang as is. The little goobers will fit back there. People have been clamoring for a 4 door Mustang type sedan for a while. Basically give us the Ford Aus Falcon already.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

You could just buy a Chevy SS like everyone said they were going to :smug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coredump posted:

Just make it a wagon.

No, not a "sportwagon", a proper family-haulin' wagon.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://i.imgur.com/ftf4Gnb.gifv

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From the OSHA thread:

Wheee!

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

wayfinder posted:

witchcraft

There's gotta be a winch I'm not seeing, right?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

You could just buy a Chevy SS like everyone said they were going to :smug:

The Chevy SS is $50k though. Its overpriced as all get out, especially considering that you can get drat near the same car for $36k, its just called a Caprice. Oh and you have to be a municipality.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CBJamo posted:

I really want to take a trip to Moab during one of the big events and just puss out and watch.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Coredump posted:

The Chevy SS is $50k though. Its overpriced as all get out, especially considering that you can get drat near the same car for $36k, its just called a Caprice. Oh and you have to be a municipality.

Eh, a friend picked up a new one at a local dealer for $43k. Nice car.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

CBJamo posted:

I'm just assuming the incline is a bit less steep than the 88° it looks like from that view.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Eh, a friend picked up a new one at a local dealer for $43k. Nice car.

That's cool, he got a good deal. The SS is still a $50k car though.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Coredump posted:

That's cool, he got a good deal. The SS is still a $50k car though.

Yes it is - I am under the impression that some dealers are sitting on them and might be motivated to get them out of their lots. In other words: It may be possible to get one for under the $50k MSRP, which would be a cool and good deal on a $50k car.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes it is - I am under the impression that some dealers are sitting on them and might be motivated to get them out of their lots. In other words: It may be possible to get one for under the $50k MSRP, which would be a cool and good deal on a $50k car.

I AGREE WITH YOU BUT IT'S STILL A $50K CAR THOUGH. ALSO I'M NOW SHOUTING.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CBJamo posted:

You know when you'd fall running in gym class, and discover that the same laminated wooden floor which offers near-zero grip for anything other than one specific brand of shoe has effectively infinite friction with skin? That kind of deal.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Coredump posted:

Lol, look at the interior and exterior of both cars. One looks like a generic car with a good engine and plastic garbage interior, the other actually has some design work put into it (well, a little). The SS is a nice place to be and comes in a manual. Not worth the cost for you? That's fine. Don't buy one like everybody else. :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I wish we had these articles, but written at a higher technical level.

I keep meaning to do more of that, but it doesn't happen very often.

Here's the most recent one

http://hellafunctional.com/?p=1951

and then motoiq generally does a good job of stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CBJamo posted:

Maybe, but that is dry and very grippy rock. As long as you have the gearing necessary and keep your center of gravity over your wheels, you can pull off some crazy climbs out there.