Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

no matter what you say, nothing will ever change the fact that you compared "deciding to go hunting" with "deliberately drunk driving"

if you're going to date a teenage vegan you're dumb as hell, period, but it has nothing to do with your hobbies and recreational activities

someone's never gone down on a vegan, i see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

boner confessor posted:

I don't gently caress teenagers because I'm not a creep

Women who eat meat taste just fine anyway

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Ride The Gravitron posted:

TX - My ex is trying to sue me because I gave her a moissanite ring instead of a diamond ring. (self.legaladvice)

I hope that when she went to have it appraised, it went something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GFZKPQuAaw

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Hunting would be beneficial to the animal population at large even if no humans ate any animals, it doesn't make any sense to implicitly oppose that whether or not you're a vegan.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Hunting would be beneficial to the animal population at large even if no humans ate any animals, it doesn't make any sense to implicitly oppose that whether or not you're a vegan.

it is always, always, 100% a class thing, that she's vegan and one of the people who gets lovely about hunters is purely incidental. there's a ton of meat-eating redditors in that same sub who've written functionally identical posts except usually with less pedoriffic undertones and it always comes out on the lightest of questioning that they're actually mad that their partner is doing redneck poo poo instead of picking up their hamburger at the Whole Foods.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

If people were perfectly rational robots,sure. In the real world, saying " My husband loves to kill animals" at an animal activist meet up won't go so well.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

It's a bubble thing. People in the city see a half dozen deer a year, they can't get over the "all animal life is sacred" thing. They do not see the overpopulation problem or understand it's impact on the wild animal population as a whole, because it's not applicable to their day to day lives in any capacity. (Cute animal pictures are, though!)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

it doesn't make any sense to implicitly oppose that whether or not you're a vegan.

:shrug: she's a young animal nut, who cares if her views are sound or not. the point is that her boyfriend, knowing this part of her personality, is deliberately taking an antagonist position. maybe she loves anime and he starts talking about how cartoons are dumb for children. he's introducing a problem into their relationship and saying she's stupid and irrational for caring about the problem. it's not like he gets a pass on minimizing her feelings just because her feelings happen to be rooted in youthful naivete

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Universe Master posted:

If people were perfectly rational robots,sure. In the real world, saying " My husband loves to kill animals" at an animal activist meet up won't go so well.
Uhh that is a bit of a caricature, I don't think he's bringing his hunting trophies to her animal activist meetups. I don't think you have to be a rational robot to recognize that humanely culling animal populations is necessary to prevent animal suffering, the thing you actually are seeking to do by being an animal activist in the first place.

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

Zzulu posted:

id bang an 18yo and im 30!

you monster.

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
you have to really really want to poo poo up a thread to do this, guys

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I had a truck and knew a butcher/could clean it myself, I would buy a giant freezer and live off venison :allears: That stuff is delicious.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Uhh that is a bit of a caricature, I don't think he's bringing his hunting trophies to her animal activist meetups. I don't think you have to be a rational robot to recognize that humanely culling animal populations is necessary to prevent animal suffering, the thing you actually are seeking to do by being an animal activist in the first place.

College age animal activism is basically "Kitties and deer and pandas are cute, don't be mean to them"

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Danaru posted:

If I had a truck and knew a butcher/could clean it myself, I would buy a giant freezer and live off venison :allears: That stuff is delicious.

if "ifs and buts" were venison guts

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

boner confessor posted:

:shrug: she's a young animal nut, who cares if her views are sound or not. the point is that her boyfriend, knowing this part of her personality, is deliberately taking an antagonist position. maybe she loves anime and he starts talking about how cartoons are dumb for children. he's introducing a problem into their relationship and saying she's stupid and irrational for caring about the problem

He's not deliberately taking an antagonist position, she is. He's a meat eater, he has friends and family who are hunters. The only thing she said is that he'd never been hunting before. He probably got asked by a family member and didn't see a reason to say no. He is probably from a family or community that understands that hunting is not an inherently anti-animal thing. He is probably also a conservationist and an animal lover (like most hunters are)

What's "deliberately taking an antagonist position" is comparing your boyfriend taking up a new hobby to cheating on you, based purely on a poor interpretation of what he is doing. She is mad at him because he is "being cruel to animals" by hunting them. That's a wrongheaded viewpoint to have in the first place and no doubt one he does not share.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mirthless posted:

It's a bubble thing. People in the city see a half dozen deer a year, they can't get over the "all animal life is sacred" thing. They do not see the overpopulation problem or understand it's impact on the wild animal population as a whole, because it's not applicable to their day to day lives in any capacity. (Cute animal pictures are, though!)

city people aren't exactly cuddling the rats in their walls but that doesn't count cause people who read the New Yorker kill rats

china bot posted:

lol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

He's not deliberately taking an antagonist position, she is. He's a meat eater, he has friends and family who are hunters. The only thing she said is that he'd never been hunting before. He probably got asked by a family member and didn't see a reason to say no. He is probably from a family or community that understands that hunting is not an inherently anti-animal thing. He is probably also a conservationist and an animal lover (like most hunters are)

What's "deliberately taking an antagonist position" is comparing your boyfriend taking up a new hobby to cheating on you, based purely on a poor interpretation of what he is doing. She is mad at him because he is "being cruel to animals" by hunting them. That's a wrongheaded viewpoint to have in the first place and no doubt one he does not share.

scenario 1:

"hey i might go hunting"

"what! that is unacceptable! i love animals!"

"ok, you're right, nevermind" <-- a lie

scenario 2:

"hey i might go hunting"

"i will and you can't change me"

which is the less dumb and antagonistic thing to say to your teenage girlfriend

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
shes gonna instagram about it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

boner confessor posted:

scenario 1:

"hey i might go hunting"

scenario 2:

"hey i might go hunting"

which is the less dumb and antagonistic thing to say

the kind of nut who'd drop an ultimatum to try to force you to stop developing your own interests wouldn't be worth changing your socks for, you big weirdo. let alone engaging in some bizarre elaborate web of lies to go secretly hunting behind their back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

boner confessor posted:

scenario 1:

"hey i might go hunting"

scenario 2:

"hey i might go hunting"

Lying to to your GF and going hunting anyway is in fact the worse option

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

boner confessor posted:

:shrug: she's a young animal nut, who cares if her views are sound or not.
That style of thinking is how we get old people with lovely opinions.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Just to be clear:

Hunting: Just as bad as drunk driving
Lying about hunting: Good and cool

Do I have that right

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

boner confessor posted:

scenario 1:

"hey i might go hunting"

scenario 2:

"hey i might go hunting"

Mirthless posted:

no matter what you say, nothing will ever change the fact that you compared "deciding to go hunting" with "deliberately drunk driving"

dude you got owned by mirthless, maybe stop posting for a while

PS: Mirthless your new av is cool

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

boner confessor posted:

Mirthless posted:

if you're going to date a teenage vegan you're dumb as hell, period, but it has nothing to do with your hobbies and recreational activities

boner confessor posted:

scenario 1:

"hey i might go hunting"

scenario 2:

"hey i might go hunting"

boner confessor likes to gently caress teenagers and thinks it's acceptable to lie to your partner as long as they don't find out about it

what i'm saying is, :yikes:

food court bailiff posted:

PS: Mirthless your new av is cool

TY, I've been following that GBS avatar thread for days waiting for something to pop up. So many cyberpunk avatars in there!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the kind of nut who'd drop an ultimatum to try to force you to stop developing your own interests wouldn't be worth changing your socks for, you big weirdo. let alone engaging in some bizarre elaborate web of lies to go secretly hunting behind their back. you are mentally ill.

Yeah but this is kind of a misrepresentation b/c she is trying to stop him from engaging in a very specific interest, not trying to generally stop him from developing his own interests. Tho fwiw I agree with you anyways and the girl needs to not take people's opinions so personally and stop dropping ultimatums and telling her he won't and hoping it blows over is the literal exact wrong thing to do.

It's good they fought over this cause now they know they aren't compatible.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 31, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah but this is kind of a misrepresentation b/c she is trying to stop him from engaging in a very specific interest, not trying to generally stop him from developing his own interests. Tho fwiw I agree with you anyways and the girl needs to not take people's opinions so personally and stop dropping ultimatums.

The degree to which she is taking her offense at his new hobby is more the issue than anything. It's OK for her to object to it, comparing it to cheating and breaking up with him is a little unhinged and I am going to guess she never approached this in a rational fashion to begin with.

I can see objecting to something your partner finds interesting if it's personally offensive to you, but this reaction is a little much, and I imagine if I was in his shoes I'd have probably shut down completely in exactly the same way he did.

quote:

:agreed:

He should probably stop dating teenagers, but I doubt he's going to do that b/c he is probably a creep

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

you have to really really want to poo poo up a thread to do this, guys

ty for the two posts (three now) that you have made in this thread, total

glad you could be here to get us back on track

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

boner confessor posted:

:shrug: she's a young animal nut, who cares if her views are sound or not. the point is that her boyfriend, knowing this part of her personality, is deliberately taking an antagonist position. maybe she loves anime and he starts talking about how cartoons are dumb for children. he's introducing a problem into their relationship and saying she's stupid and irrational for caring about the problem. it's not like he gets a pass on minimizing her feelings just because her feelings happen to be rooted in youthful naivete

wait I'm not seeing what he's doing wrong here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

who took over Mirthless's account god drat lol

Charles Get-Out posted:

Yeah but this is kind of a misrepresentation b/c she is trying to stop him from engaging in a very specific interest, not trying to generally stop him from developing his own interests. Tho fwiw I agree with you anyways and the girl needs to not take people's opinions so personally and stop dropping ultimatums and telling her he won't and hoping it blows over is the literal exact wrong thing to do.

I mean, she's willing to have a more civil conversation about it with the literal total strangers of Reddit than she was with her boyfriend, and given how quickly she started backing down once she started random dissenting internet paragraphs it seems pretty clear to me that she went from zero to breakup threats with no discussion as soon as he started expressing any desires of his own she wasn't already onboard with, in which case yeah the answer is to get out of there so fast your clothes catch fire

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 31, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

china bot posted:

Hahahhaha I just want to acknowledge that this is clever and hilarious

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

Mirthless posted:

ty for the two posts (three now) that you have made in this thread, total

glad you could be here to get us back on track

aww thanks

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Mirthless posted:

The degree to which she is taking her offense at his new hobby is more the issue than anything. It's OK for her to object to it, comparing it to cheating and breaking up with him is a little unhinged and I am going to guess she never approached this in a rational fashion to begin with.

I can see objecting to something your partner finds interesting if it's personally offensive to you, but this reaction is a little much, and I imagine if I was in his shoes I'd have probably shut down completely in exactly the same way he did.

He should probably stop dating teenagers, but I doubt he's going to do that b/c he is probably a creep

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I mean, she's willing to have a more civil conversation about it with the literal total strangers of Reddit than she was with her boyfriend, and given how quickly she started backing down once she started random dissenting internet paragraphs it seems pretty clear to me that she went from zero to breakup threats with no discussion as soon as he started expressing any desires of his own she wasn't already onboard with, in which case yeah the answer is to get out of there so fast your clothes catch fire

Yeah she's def a zealot, her reaction kind of strikes me as similar to a staunch pro-life dude chastising his so for saying she would consider an abortion.

And who knows, maybe now he's learned why well-adjusted 30 year olds don't tend to date people that young :v:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Is it okay if I say they're both ultra naive and immature for completely different reasons? Girl's on a vegan kick because she probably watched Instagram videos about it. Dude is super dumb because he's dating a literal teenager. Neither is wrong about this, but they should just :sever: and date people their own age.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Is it okay if I say they're both ultra naive and immature for completely different reasons? Girl's on a vegan kick because she probably watched Instagram videos about it. Dude is super dumb because he's dating a literal teenager. Neither is wrong about this, but they should just :sever: and date people their own age.

Nah man, reasonable opinions :getout:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i must be weird for thinking the actual adult in this relationship should know better than to challenge a part of their partner's identity but i guess that's why he's dating a teen

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think it is o.k. to find hunting personally distasteful even if you understand the ecological importance of hunting, and not want to be with someone who does things you think are personally distasteful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

hahahaha wtf is this creepy rear end response

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

boner confessor posted:

i must be weird for thinking the actual adult in this relationship should know better than to challenge a part of their partner's identity but i guess that's why he's dating a teen

I just don't get why these types of idiots want to date teenagers when there's millions of other women out there. Why desire a drama-packed relationship well outside their peer group when they could date someone around their own age? I don't get it. Getting your creepy maladjusted jollies off becomes tedious when your girlfriend is complaining about college or finding her first job when you're in your goddamn 30s.

The answer is probably mental illness though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I agree, I am a vegetarian and I find hunting personally distasteful. I also know that it keeps hogs away from crops, deer out of residential settings where they can cause problems and be dangerous for people, and forests in ecological balance, etc.

I still don't think I would want my partner to hunt, but I would not drop ultimatums and I would not feel like I was cheated on if they said "hmm, maybe I'm gonna hunt."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Straight White Shark posted:

I think it is o.k. to find hunting personally distasteful even if you understand the ecological importance of hunting, and not want to be with someone who does things you think are personally distasteful.

Yeah, I don't hunt or particularly like hunting/hunters but I know that it can be important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

I just don't get why these types of idiots want to date teenagers when there's millions of other women out there. Why desire a drama-packed relationship well outside their peer group when they could date someone around their own age? I don't get it. Getting your creepy maladjusted jollies off becomes tedious when your girlfriend is complaining about college or finding her first job when you're in your goddamn 30s.

The answer is probably mental illness though.

Because teenagers are inexperienced and aren't wary of all of the red flags these types project like other people in their 30s would see.

I'm not sure a lot of these dudes intentionally select for teenagers, more that young people don't see through their bullshit immediately.