Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gneisenau.jpeg

Three games in a row. All on Two brothers. Average damage: Roughly 90k. Number of kills: 9. Number of wins: 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Ice Fist posted:

Gneisenau.jpeg

Three games in a row. All on Two brothers. Average damage: Roughly 90k. Number of kills: 9. Number of wins: 0

Carry harder.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Blindeye posted:

Carry harder.

:negative:

Update: Two Brothers again. :smith:

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Sperglord Actual posted:

What do you all consider to count as doing well in a match? I feel like I'm not doing my part if I don't put out 50k damage minimum.

Server average for the particular ship is my absolute minimum in BB. If I can average at least 10-20% more than server average for both BB and cruisers I'm usually pretty satisfied with that. Some of them that's not too much of a challenge, especially premiums. I'm averaging like 65k for the Kutuzov and Belfast and both server averages are in the mid 40s.

e: I agree though, 50-60k is sort of where I start to feel a bit useful.

Thundercakes fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 31, 2017

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
The Gneisenau is a ship which willingly took a curse upon itself so that its dumber brother, the Scharnhorst, could be more popular and successful in its life. Expect to get tons of damage, a lot more than you would expect a ship with only six guns to get, but also tons of losses, because those wins are all going to the Scharnhost, one of the ultimate personifications of battleship cancer.

Yes, I'm still mad about WG not giving Gneisenau players the option to get the 280's, not even as a ridiculously expensive upgrade path.

OSad fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 31, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Sperglord Actual posted:

What do you all consider to count as doing well in a match? I feel like I'm not doing my part if I don't put out 50k damage minimum.

10,000 x my tier in damage is my rule of thumb for battleships.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Finally had a good game in the Bismarck, I think my first since the patch with makes every single HE shell that hits me set me on fire.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Lake Effect posted:

So with the current Meta, if I've got you right , the optimal strategy for my new Baltimore is to go completely AFK for the first 8 minutes of every battle? I'm not joking.
I'm honestly wondering if that's the correct strat for an over-aggressive captain like myself.

The baltimore is a rough ship to play right now. I don't have one - unless AntonioHandsome has better advice, I'd just straight up wait until the USN CL/CA rework happens later this year before playing down that line.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

OSad posted:

The Gneisenau is a ship which willingly took a curse upon itself so that its dumber brother, the Scharnhorst, could be more popular and successful in its life. Expect to get tons of damage, a lot more than you would expect a ship with only six guns to get, but also tons of losses, because those wins are all going to the Scharnhost, one of the ultimate personifications of battleship cancer.

Yes, I'm still mad about WG not giving Gneisenau players the option to get the 280's, not even as a ridiculously expensive upgrade path.

I ultimately learned to really like the G-Wagon, not enough to keep it after unlocking the Bismark, but ship really is pretty solid. At times RNG just fucks with it to really take advantage of its guns, but that ship thrives on getting close to people and punching them with torps or using its surprisingly good secondaries.

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

Pacra posted:

The baltimore is a rough ship to play right now. I don't have one - unless AntonioHandsome has better advice, I'd just straight up wait until the USN CL/CA rework happens later this year before playing down that line.

it is tough. best thing it has going for it is that it can stealth fire

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Applied for DONGS as Drunken_Fist. Looks like it's full but I did it anyway because apparently I enjoy rejection or something idk.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ice Fist posted:

Applied for DONGS as Drunken_Fist. Looks like it's full but I did it anyway because apparently I enjoy rejection or something idk.

You show up on Discord so someone might get kicked for you.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Today I had 2 games in my Gneisenau with double strikes, and also one-shot a Kiev that was bow on to me with my guns. Then I bitched about the accuracy only to get a double citadel at 16km on an NC the next match.

Why are german BBs so loving easy mode?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Today I had 2 games in my Gneisenau with double strikes, and also one-shot a Kiev that was bow on to me with my guns. Then I bitched about the accuracy only to get a double citadel at 16km on an NC the next match.

Why are german BBs so loving easy mode?

I find Gneisneau and Scharnhorst to be some of the most enjoyable ships in the game they are very solid brawler and have the speed to capitalise on it. Also at T7 people are still quite aggressive.
Havn't tried Bismark yet but I fear the bad T8 matchmaking will make it not as fun as it should be.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/73124-public-test-update-31012017/
Pensacola detection reduced (!), New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines (lol) all getting faster gun reloads

Also high-tier flooding doing more damage per tick, smoke now deploys its final puff at 0s left to help address the one puff issue of RN CLs

E: Pensacola new detection gonna be 12.78km, down from the insane 15.7km it is now. Probably going to end up rebuying the drat thing.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

Insert name here posted:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/73124-public-test-update-31012017/
Pensacola detection reduced (!), New Orleans, Baltimore, and Des Moines (lol) all getting faster gun reloads

Also high-tier flooding doing more damage per tick, smoke now deploys its final puff at 0s left to help address the one puff issue of RN CLs

E: Pensacola new detection gonna be 12.78km, down from the insane 15.7km it is now. Probably going to end up rebuying the drat thing.

:getin:

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I knew I was right when I decided to wait to buy the Pensacola :v:
Good to know.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Insert name here posted:

I literally just finished the grind...with a 1400 WTR in the drat thing.

Ffs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Lake Effect posted:

So with the current Meta, if I've got you right , the optimal strategy for my new Baltimore is to go completely AFK for the first 8 minutes of every battle? I'm not joking.
I'm honestly wondering if that's the correct strat for an over-aggressive captain like myself.

I recently finished the Baltimore grind (though I did free XP the last 50k or so) with above average WTR and damage and average win rate. My flaw in this game is definitely over aggression; I had to force myself to chill and watch the map unfold. I played her with the reload upgrade in the third slot, not the range one and after 6.0 dropped Adrenaline Rush to get the reload down even further. At half health, I would have just over 10 seconds reload which isn't bad for that ship. I also ran the AA range upgrade because the Baltimore is a fine anti-air cruiser in the rare matches with a CV.

I tried hard to avoid oncoming fire from enemy ships while still being able to support my team, by either supporting pushing BB's or stay near an island and radar the cap to help the DD's. Baltimore doesn't have DM rates of fire so hitting a quickly moving destroyer beyond 6 km is unreliable. Probably the biggest advantage of the Baltimore is that people underestimate it. It has Des Moines AP shells so 5k - 6k volleys and even citadels on a broadside battleship isn't uncommon. It can positively wreck cruisers and can bounce lots of shells when properly angled except Yamato and Grosser Kurfurst. Concealment expert is a must since as soon as you start getting focused, stop shooting.

But Pacra's not wrong. Maybe it makes sense just to wait.

fake edit: after the patch if these proposed changes stick, it will make the reload upgraded, adrenaline rushed Baltimore at 50% health be less than 8 seconds. A 50% health adrenaline rushed Des Moines will have a 5 second reload. :getin:

Sperglord Actual posted:

I'm not as good of a player as some of the goons here, but I consider any match where I do better than the server average damage for that ship, no significant fuckups, and functioning in the role of the ship to be be decent.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I was chat banned again. This time for having the audacity to say, that unless you're unicom, you could do your team a favor and not queue in a carrier since carrier weekend is over.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

ZombieLenin posted:

I was chat banned again. This time for having the audacity to say, that unless you're unicom, you could do your team a favor and not queue in a carrier since carrier weekend is over.

Chat ban is a badge of honor, wear it proudly. You're not wrong, you're basically down a player before the match even starts if your CV sucks and the other one is even moderately serviceable. I barely play CV, and nothing above T4 in over a year, but I am debating on picking it up again. Even if I'm mediocre, it's still going to be better than most of the CV I run into.

e: ran into a player on the official forum that didn't understand why they were getting salt for "learning how to CV in a Saipan." He was a brand new player that had never touched a CV before and didn't understand why people were angry at him for killing 8 planes and then dying on the opposite side of the map from his team. "The only way to learn it is to use it!"

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Sperglord Actual posted:

1. Win
2. Whatever it takes to do the above
3. 35k+ in a DD (plus a cap or two), 45k+ CA/CL (maybe a cap), 60k+ in a BB. I like the 10k x tier number.

Insert name here posted:

:stare::getin::stare::getin::stare: Not going to play the Pensa for a bit now. And the smoke fix would have been great last night...Leander only puffed once and then I got nuked :(

Also the Atlanta is the some of the most fun I've had in this game. First game in it last night: Wrecked a DD, set a BB on fire, and then held B cap while two BBs drove around towards me and into both sets of my torpedoes. 96k damage. Next game a tier 8 IJN CV decides to fly literally all of his airplanes over myself and my platoon mates. 17 planes shoot down in less than a minute. Later the CV did the same thing...lost 16 that time. Ended that particular game with ~70k and 33 aircraft shot down. Great times.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 31, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Thundercakes posted:

e: ran into a player on the official forum that didn't understand why they were getting salt for "learning how to CV in a Saipan." He was a brand new player that had never touched a CV before and didn't understand why people were angry at him for killing 8 planes and then dying on the opposite side of the map from his team. "The only way to learn it is to use it!"

I mean, he's not entirely wrong. You can only learn by doing, and if he wasn't making GBS threads up your tier 7 game, he'd be making GBS threads up your tier 4 game.

You can learn the UI in co-op, but learning the timing for manual drops and strafes has to happen in a live game because real players will actually try to dodge your poo poo.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Vengarr posted:

I mean, he's not entirely wrong. You can only learn by doing, and if he wasn't making GBS threads up your tier 7 game, he'd be making GBS threads up your tier 4 game.

You can learn the UI in co-op, but learning the timing for manual drops and strafes has to happen in a live game because real players will actually try to dodge your poo poo.

Yeah I know, but I expect people to poo poo up a T4 or T5 game, I assume they're learning what they're doing. At T7 I'd expect a bit more competence, although anecdotal evidence has shown that's basically pissing in the wind.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Never expect competence and you will never be disappointed

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Oh cool, a buff to the US cruisers. Can't wait till they finally adjust the Iowa and Montana to be more competitive with the other T10 BBs (they won't do this)

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Ice Fist posted:

I looked a the the OP for info on this group and didnt see much, how can i get in on floating and shooting with the guuns?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Time to stop playing the Pensacola until these changes come in then, being visible from space is a bit of a drag.

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

Oh cool, a buff to the US cruisers. Can't wait till they finally adjust the Iowa and Montana to be more competitive with the other T10 BBs (they won't do this)

They keep saying over and over that they don't want to lower the citadels "for reasons." You think if they buffed the maneuverability more instead, that they could carve a bit better niche out?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Vengarr posted:

Never expect competence and you will never be disappointed

Sad but true.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Thundercakes posted:

They keep saying over and over that they don't want to lower the citadels "for reasons." You think if they buffed the maneuverability more instead, that they could carve a bit better niche out?

Either that or giving those BBs the "super heavy" 16 inch shells they actually had so they can also compete equally in the guns department. That'd be nice.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
What's all the hate about the Iowa?
For a while it was considered the superior T9 BB.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ice Fist posted:

Either that or giving those BBs the "super heavy" 16 inch shells they actually had so they can also compete equally in the guns department. That'd be nice.

Give US BBs better damage control and a smaller chance to catch fire.

Fundamentally I really don't like the damage model. It should not be possible to burn a ship as easily as it is, and it's silly for ships cruising around at 5% of their hit points to be sailing and turning and firing as fast as a 100% ship. Module damage should not be an all-or-nothing thing, where your engines either work perfectly or don't work at all.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Krogort posted:

You'll find in the annals of this thread that I am a supporter of the high tier US BBs. I think they are actually totally viable. But there is not denying that they are weaker than their BB counterparts (FDG/Izumo > Iowa & GKF/Yamato > Montana) and could use some form of a buff.

So it isn't hate. It's just wishing that they could be brought up to par in some fashion and can carve out some form of a niche.

Note that the Missouri is not included in this. It has radar which gives it a niche. Not that I support giving radar to the tree BBs, because I don't think the proliferation of abilities, ESPECIALLY on BBs is a good thing since that dilutes their use thus making the cruisers and DDs that have those abilities weaker. But they need *something* to give them that niche they need.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ice Fist posted:

I'm pretty sure they do, they have superior penetration to the German 420mm shells.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Krogort posted:

Exactly, when there were only two ship nations in the game, the Iowa was undoubtedly the king of tier 9, as the prima early adopter of the bow-on meta, she thrived on that closed/open beta period where players didn't angle their armor too much and times were much simpler. Back then it was loving impossible to dig this ship out, especially since going AA spec was a really good idea as it drove the AA of the ship through the roof, a natural counter to the high population of carriers of yonder. The Izumo had paltry AA by comparison and you could dunk on her quite easily due to her very large size and sluggish acceleration, which curbed competition at the tier even further.

Then WG slashed carrier rewards and introduced several new ship lines to the game. Suddenly there isn't such an incentive to play carriers, "buffing" the Izumo's survivability massively, and undermining one of the aspects that makes the Iowa so strong, her AA. There's also several new rapid-firing lines in the game that can quickly chew through your health if you're standing still or reversing now, like RN cruisers, Russian DD's and CA's, Akizuki, whereas before the Iowa had to deal with comparatively slow-firing guns like JPN CA's and BB's.

This doesn't mean that the Iowa is suddenly horrible. She is certainly more vulnerable now, and if it's a bow duke-off between her and an Izumo, the Izumo does what the Iowa does but better. It's a choice of flavor at the end of the day though, if you value bigger guns and don't mind having a slower ship, the Izumo is a mini Yamato at tier 9. If you want better speed and a ship that's still beastly when you angle it, the Iowa has got you covered.

Edit: It's also kind of a dick move that they made the Missouri an Iowa but better. Why does a ship that already makes ridiculous amounts of credits need radar? The only consumables premiums should have besides their class gimmick is a dollar sign that when you use it, you make more credits and experience from hits or something.

I'm all for tearing the radar out of the Missouri and giving it to the Iowa if you give the Izumo an extra charge of heal or defensive AA with her hull upgrades though. It would encourage Iowas to push into smoke!

OSad fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2017

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Insert name here posted:

AHAHA jesus christ these buffs are insane
I'm in love
pensacola for actually not loving trash tier now

also the buff to flooding damage at the top tiers is fantastic, and I'm ok with the duration getting slashed a tiny bit, as 120 seconds was hilarious and you never got a full flooding duration off anyways. A high tier flooding damage buff for an inconsequential flooding duration nerf? Fine by me.

Phanatic posted:

Give US BBs better damage control and a smaller chance to catch fire.

Fundamentally I really don't like the damage model. It should not be possible to burn a ship as easily as it is, and it's silly for ships cruising around at 5% of their hit points to be sailing and turning and firing as fast as a 100% ship. Module damage should not be an all-or-nothing thing, where your engines either work perfectly or don't work at all.
US BBs already have the highest innate fire resistances and the best damage control ability (their damage control lasts 20 seconds, while Germans are 15 and IJN are 10). And the damage model is very unlikely to change. This is how it is in WoT too. Arcadey style hitpoints is very unlikely to change, especially since WG scrapped the buoyancy system a long time ago.

OSad posted:

Exactly, when there were only two ship nations in the game, the Iowa was undoubtedly the king of tier 9, as the prima early adopter of the bow-on meta, she thrived on that closed/open beta period where players didn't angle their armor too much and times were much simpler. Back then it was loving impossible to dig this ship out, especially since going AA spec was a really good idea as it drove the AA of the ship through the roof, a natural counter to the high population of carriers of yonder. The Izumo had paltry AA by comparison and you could dunk on her quite easily due to her very large size and sluggish acceleration, which curbed competition at the tier even further.

Then WG slashed carrier rewards and introduced several new ship lines to the game. Suddenly there isn't such an incentive to play carriers, "buffing" the Izumo's survivability massively, and undermining one of the aspects that makes the Iowa so strong, her AA. There's also several new rapid-firing lines in the game that can quickly chew through your health if you're standing still or reversing now, like RN cruisers, Russian DD's and CA's, Akizuki, whereas before the Iowa had to deal with comparatively slow-firing guns like JPN CA's and BB's.

This doesn't mean that the Iowa is suddenly horrible. She is certainly more vulnerable now, and if it's a bow duke-off between her and an Izumo, the Izumo does what the Iowa does but better. It's a choice of flavor at the end of the day though, if you value bigger guns and don't mind having a slower ship, the Izumo is a mini Yamato at tier 9. If you want better speed and a ship that's still beastly when you angle it, the Iowa has got you covered.

Edit: It's also kind of a dick move that they made the Missouri an Iowa but better. Why does a ship that already makes ridiculous amounts of credits need radar? The only consumables premiums should have besides their class gimmick is a dollar sign that when you use it, you make more credits and experience from hits or something.

I'm all for tearing the radar out of the Missouri and giving it to the Iowa if you give the Izumo an extra charge of heal or defensive AA with her hull upgrades though. It would encourage Iowas to push into smoke!
There's more to it than just that. The Izumo has received a fair number of buffs over her life, namely firing angles on her guns and the altered citadel structure system. Iowa, on the flip side, while receiving some "buffs", had the harshest nerf of all.

I'm sure all the beta players recall why the Iowa was ACTUALLY the strongest BB in the game. It had nothing to do with stats... the Iowa's superstructure had a bugged HP pool, meaning just a few HE hits would fully deplete it, and any more hits to its superstructure would do LITERALLY ZERO DAMAGE. This made the Iowa an absolute monster, especially bow-on, since you were unlikely to hit anything you could pen EXCEPT the superstructure. Iowas typically got burned or torped to oblivion, rarely gunned down. Without the bugged superstructure, the Iowa showed its true weaknesses in having soft sides and rather poor accuracy. The sigma change helped this, but its not like the ship has really... improved at all.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Have they ever nerfed a premium? Or do they just stop selling it?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Thundercakes posted:

Chat ban is a badge of honor, wear it proudly. You're not wrong, you're basically down a player before the match even starts if your CV sucks and the other one is even moderately serviceable. I barely play CV, and nothing above T4 in over a year, but I am debating on picking it up again. Even if I'm mediocre, it's still going to be better than most of the CV I run into.

I've never had a problem before this game with auto chat bans in games. Now I get them at least once a week for the stupidest poo poo.

In this case I know there are carrier drivers who don't like the message, but gently caress. I'm not insulting anyone, just saying as they currently work, unless you really know what you're doing, any other ship is going to be more useful to your team. That's it.

So to get banned such that I literally cannot communicate for a whole day in a team pvp game, even if it's to say, "hey, I'm going to drop smoke for you in A," because a single platoon reported me for misbehaving giving good advice is super irritating.

I'm a bit ashamed of this, but I noticed the ban right away and I instantly knew it was the carrier and his platoon on my team that report me, so I:

1. stopped was I was doing in my Fletcher
2. sailed 1 minute to the super out of position CV
3. Rammed him once and did a "that was a great battle"
4. Watched as he bitched in chat about reporting me some more
5. Drove straight into a cap without giving a gently caress, smoking or playing smart at all
6. Dropped 10 torps into an Iowa from 3k
7. Died gloriously

That was my petty revenge.

Edit

Yay! The Pensacola buff announcement came two days after I tiered out of it into a New Orleans. Literally wargaming's current relationship with me: :commissar:

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I like how WG is still trying to pretend they haven't been utterly loving IJN destroyers over constantly by claiming the flooding changes are aimed at helping them out due to their higher flooding chance. I've never had issues causing flooding with shipboard torpedoes of any nation, so any increased chance they have isn't much, especially considering how much it's counterbalanced by how much easier it is to hit with multiple torpedoes with any other nation due to lacking the utterly bullshit detection times IJN torpedoes have. This is also ignoring that even in T6/7 flooding damage is now reduced from what it used to be - and T6 is the most played tier, followed by T8 (almost exclusively due to the Bismarck and North Carolina) then T7.

Also ignoring how RADAR still fucks over IJN destroyers far more than any other line of ships, and they're boosting how much the rare RADAR upgrade increases the duration by .