Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i need to do that dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The DLC's amazing. Hearts of Stone is one of my favorite video game stories in a long while.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Playing Geralt while possessed by a ghost, hitting on your ex girlfriend, the way he walks. It's so great.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
this game is real good

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hearts of stone is very good but blood and wine is simply top tier dlc

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

hearts of stone is very good but blood and wine is simply top tier dlc

i thought hearts of stone had the better story of the two but yeah, theyre both pretty outstanding

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

They're kind of different experiences. HoS had a better story that felt like cut content reintegrated into the main story, while B&W felt like a proper epilogue to the series. Both really good.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

tao of lmao posted:

They're kind of different experiences. HoS had a better story that felt like cut content reintegrated into the main story, while B&W felt like a proper epilogue to the series. Both really good.

yeah, youre totally right. I just didn't connect with b&w's story as much as I did with poor olgierd. anyways, Toussiant and really everything about the second dlc is some real high water mark stuff. Just thinking about it again now, Witcher 3 owns holy moley.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I hated Olgierd so much that I did the optional mission to learn how to save his soul just so I could specifically refuse to do so.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Honestly I did too until the plot revealed itself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I saved him because I feel like Geralt wouldn't miss the chance to gently caress up Satan's day for kicks

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah idk why anyone wouldnt pick the option that lets you default on a deal with the devil and tell him to go gently caress himself

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
lol at anyone who accepts the deal with the devil after a whole extended montage of quests about how deals with the devil don't work out and the devil is a huge rear end

unless you did it because you thought Geralt would think it was funny

because it's like 50/50 Geralt wants to beat the devil on principal alone vs. Geralt can't be bothered and wants to troll

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I figured that Geralt would have wanted to spite both of them for making him do a bunch of convoluted nonsense to settle their own score but at the end of the day I at least owed Master Mirror for the tip at the start of the base game and busting me out of the Olfieri ship while Olgierd was a dick who didn't do anything for me. And Gaunter was a bro anyway. That scene where he just casually sticks a spoon in that dude's brain lmfao.

I absolutely refused any reward from him though. I know better than that at least.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I figured that Geralt would have wanted to spite both of them for making him do a bunch of convoluted nonsense to settle their own score but at the end of the day I at least owed Master Mirror for the tip at the start of the base game and busting me out of the Olfieri ship while Olgierd was a dick who didn't do anything for me. And Gaunter was a bro anyway. That scene where he just casually sticks a spoon in that dude's brain lmfao.

I absolutely refused any reward from him though. I know better than that at least.

Yeah, I feel that Actual Geralt(tm) probably would've let Gaunter have Olgierd but not ask for anything in return - simply because as you mentioned, Gaunter helped Geralt out twice now (once just seemingly randomly at the start of the game), and all Olgierd has done is be a dick towards Geralt. (I know he turns out to be a top bloke etc etc if you save him, but that's far from obvious when you're doing his quests)

I myself saved him though, because I like being the good guy. I feel that it's something I/Geralt may live to regret, though - pissing off the devil himself is bound to have consequences! :v:

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, I feel that Actual Geralt(tm) probably would've let Gaunter have Olgierd but not ask for anything in return - simply because as you mentioned, Gaunter helped Geralt out twice now (once just seemingly randomly at the start of the game), and all Olgierd has done is be a dick towards Geralt. (I know he turns out to be a top bloke etc etc if you save him, but that's far from obvious when you're doing his quests)

I myself saved him though, because I like being the good guy. I feel that it's something I/Geralt may live to regret, though - pissing off the devil himself is bound to have consequences! :v:

True, but the cool thing about the game is that you kinda feel like Geralt is a bad enough likable protagonist dude to realistically beat the devil in his inevitable unimaginable revenge plot somewhere down the line, if you choose to go that way. Old man witcher coming out of retirement to settle a score with Evil Incarnate is cool as hell to think about. But it's also super cool if he retires in silly fantasy France knowing he let the devil walk, one time.

basically witcher 3 pwns holy poo poo what a game

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Yeah I pretty much took the whole 'Okay so I totally owe Gaunter a favour now because he helped me out, but I sure as hell am not taking anything else from the guy, that is clearly a trap. Also I could save you but you got me into this crap Olgierd so no soul for you mate.'
I love the references to him in Blood and Wine with the cursed spoon wraith that got visited by a man selling mirrors.
Gaunter is basically the coolest character ever and I love that he is bland enough that I only just slightly remembered him from the start of the game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Steve Shultz posted:

I love the references to him in Blood and Wine with the cursed spoon wraith that got visited by a man selling mirrors.

The dwarves trapped on the Isle of Mists also got tricked into going there by a mirror merchant. Gaunter's loving around all over the world.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah apparently alchemy is gamebreakingly good at higher levels but the descriptions of all the skills were a bit too abstract for me to bother with lol

the potions are super powerful if you have the patience to stop and pick your way through 30000 decoctions to find the thing you want in the middle of every sword fight, by which I mean you should stick the bullet time one and the 'gently caress poisons' one in quickslots and ignore everything else to do with them entirely

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 9, 2017

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

the potions are super powerful if you have the patience to stop and pick your way through 30000 decoctions to find the thing you want in the middle of every sword fight, by which I mean you should stick the bullet time one and the 'gently caress poisons' one in quickslots and ignore everything else to do with them entirely

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

reminds me of guided by voices

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
I was wrong. The Witcher 3 is good & now I have the plat. Hope combat is tighter in the next one, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

fairly early in the game you get the power to absorb enemy hits and heal off the damage, and the healing is actually drastically better in higher difficulties cause of the damage scaling and it kind of made all combat moot. but i was having a better time with the game for it lol since it's not about the fighting as much as it is the writing and exploration.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it is really bad though, that after a while the combat is just a chore in the way of what you like about the game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Eh the combat is fine for what it is . I like the preparation aspect better than the moment to moment fighting itself though

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The fighting mechanics are solid if not particularly remarkable and it looks really cool with Geralt jumping and pirouetting around all over the place so I think it's good.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

it's fun killing bandits and stuff but when you start fighting golems and other terrible poo poo and you either spam quen or you die it becomes kind of tedious lol, imo. it's not terrible or anything, wish it was better than 'just serviceable' tho

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The fighting is okay, but what imo makes it the weak point of the game is just how repetitive it gets. There is a bunch of visually distinct, cool looking monsters with neat lore, but fighting them is very samey. The prep work in combat is good, but a lot of the really useful bombs and potions does stuff that limits monster abilities, like stopping regeneration, and magic abilities, and that is super useful, but it also makes fights duller to actually play out imo.

Humans, flying monsters and golems+elemental+gargoyels have distinctly different combat moves & abilities, but once you've fought a few of each, combat is just really repetitive and takes up a lot of the game.

Really good game imo, but more variety in monster moves & abilities + maybe more Witcher moves or potion effects that makes you do crazy stuff instead of preventing monsters doing crazy stuff would make the combat closer to being on par with the rest of the game. That's what I'm hoping for in a sequel.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

In order to not be too negative because it really is a great game, my fav line from the game that made me lol;

Lambert: You had to kneel down to see that?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Grandmother of Five posted:

In order to not be too negative because it really is a great game, my fav line from the game that made me lol;

that entire sequence owns

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Grandmother of Five posted:

Yeah, that quote is pretty great! TW3 also has one of the best poems around: "Lambert Lambert, what a prick"

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

In games like Witcher 3 if I find I am not having fun I usually resort to gimmick runs. My fists of fury gimmick run didn't get too far, unfortunately.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Witcher 3 combat is like one or two mods away from being amazing

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
The combat takes a while to grow on you. At least preparation is pretty cool because you have to plan stuff out and gather stuff you need. Too bad this doesn't happen as much as I would like since enemies only get added to glossary after you defeat them blind

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

IdealFlaws posted:

The combat takes a while to grow on you. At least preparation is pretty cool because you have to plan stuff out and gather stuff you need. Too bad this doesn't happen as much as I would like since enemies only get added to glossary after you defeat them blind

You can get them added ahead of time by reading books.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i read a book at some point in the game that added a "Greater Vampires" entry, the game has big weird bat monsters in it but the greater vamps are the ones everyone's familiar with. i never actually fought one though, is there a quest for it?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

i read a book at some point in the game that added a "Greater Vampires" entry, the game has big weird bat monsters in it but the greater vamps are the ones everyone's familiar with. i never actually fought one though, is there a quest for it?

Yeah I only barely got to skyrim in my playthrough but i fought one in some quest.... I think in Velen , maybe as part of the quest chain that unlocks when Dandelion's gf gets attacked by a serial killer after you finish the main story stuff there?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

goferchan posted:

Yeah I only barely got to skyrim in my playthrough but i fought one in some quest.... I think in Velen , maybe as part of the quest chain that unlocks when Dandelion's gf gets attacked by a serial killer after you finish the main story stuff there?

i 'solved' the first part of it but i found another body and im not sure what to do next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

extremebuff posted:

Yeah if you do all the Dandelion stuff, or get the France DLC

• Locked thread