Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Spending my bday in a conference room full of lawyers :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Woof Blitzer posted:

Spending my bday in a conference room full of lawyers :whitewater:

Happy birthday dude!

Be sure to arrange some celebrating on scruff :buddy:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I owe $2500 in federal :whitewater:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Rekt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Refund is $1k and change. I've never been so disappointed to be expecting a thousand dollars in 10 days.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Happy birthday nostalgia4bearsbutts

I got my first full paycheck from the new job and LOL life is niiiiice.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Pay up so the govt can pay me my 4% COLA and locality raise.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Have to get the VA to unfuck my education situation before I file my return. :sigh:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

3.7k refund without adding in student loan interest and moving expenses

downside: gonna owe like 4k in NM state taxes :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The upside of finishing school a semester later than expectes is going to be having student status on 2017 years taxes while hopefully making a lot of money the rest of the year.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

The upside of finishing school a semester later than expectes is going to be having student status on 2017 years taxes while hopefully making a lot of money the rest of the year.

That was my 2016. Plus in Canada you get a refund for tuition and book allotment multiplied by the number of months you were in school for that carries forward until you use it all, so my 2016 taxes are effectively nil :getin:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

That was my 2016. Plus in Canada you get a refund for tuition and book allotment multiplied by the number of months you were in school for that carries forward until you use it all, so my 2016 taxes are effectively nil :getin:
I got $4k between state and federal back on my 2014 taxes because I was in school for spring semester. It was only half time so I worked part time, and then immediately transitioned to full time and picked up a temporary technician gig at the end of the year. I'm hoping to do as well this time around.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Taxes figured out. The company grossed me up wrong on relocation reimbursement. So I'm stuck with the tax bill until the company pays me back.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
My refund fluctuates from $1700 to $330 when I enter my wife's W2. Is it because with her income we made over $55,000 and are in a new bracket, and our combined federal withholding is too low, so we lose $1440? It's making me mad, DAD MAD

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm watching the Pacific finally and goddammit I keep finding myself wanting to scream at these dudes to put loving tourniquets on their injuries goddammit!

Edit: that's my fault for taking CLS seriously

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I took CLS seriously. It's the only training I ever took seriously because it's the one training he covers a subject that matters. Plus it extends to real life, like on the gun range out here on a highway in rural texas.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

CLS is basically the regular 'ol first aid that everybody should know, but with an obvious focus on combat-related trauma. Simple things like plugging a leak, chest compressions, or supporting an injured foot or ankle are applicable to everyday life. Those things happen here, too. People should also know, and practice, how to react to these without freaking out. At the very least, they should able to call 911 and give the operator the information they need without vomiting into the phone. poo poo's not difficult. Scary, sure, but not difficult.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh I don't disagree. I meant that I take it seriously enough that I'm getting mad at my TV.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

CLS is basically the regular 'ol first aid that everybody should know, but with an obvious focus on combat-related trauma. Simple things like plugging a leak, chest compressions, or supporting an injured foot or ankle are applicable to everyday life. Those things happen here, too. People should also know, and practice, how to react to these without freaking out. At the very least, they should able to call 911 and give the operator the information they need without vomiting into the phone. poo poo's not difficult. Scary, sure, but not difficult.

I'd say tourniquets, needle decompression, and chest seals are well outside the realm of erry'day YMCA first aid.

I have a bleeding control ifak in a zip lock baggie in my range bag

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

lite_sleepr posted:

I'd say tourniquets, needle decompression, and chest seals are well outside the realm of erry'day YMCA first aid.

The only thing I don't have in my vehicle or range bags are needles.

Not a medic, and never been trained. I don't want to do the wrong thing, or have someone run up claiming to be Caro...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Syrian Lannister posted:

The only thing I don't have in my vehicle or range bags are needles.

Not a medic, and never been trained. I don't want to do the wrong thing, or have someone run up claiming to be Caro...

But what if Caro did run up?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I'm in the wrong part of the world.

Besides I'm sure he could MacGyver something out of a straw or a pen cap

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

"I need an Advil, a roll of duct tape, a pack of peanuts, and four beers."

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones

Naked Bear posted:

Salted, unsalted, or honey?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

lite_sleepr posted:

Half the motherfuckers I see at any given range make me break out my patrol-weight aid bag, and I'd probably break out the truck bag the moment I heard someone say "tannerite".

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

lite_sleepr posted:

He said chest compression, not needle decompression. Wound care, CPR, and supporting injured joints is pretty much as basic as first aid courses get.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Naked Bear posted:

Frank said aspirin.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Aw, Google, you've let me down. :(

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?

Sugartime Jones
I got motrin.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
We never learned CPR but I learned that it sucks being the test dummy for femoral tourniquets.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

We deployed a guy with an allergy to ibuprofen. I don't know how he's lasted 9 years in the military.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

:golfclap:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My dog's first aid kit is more extensive than my own.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The most important thing for bystanders to know is how to call for 911, how to perform basic CPR and most importantly: do something instead of being a loving bystander that watches.

I've run two codes in busy offices where there was a witness cardiac/respiratory arrest and the only thing someone decided to do was call 911. Both were lying on the floor with probably 10-15 people just staring at them, AED literally within walking distance for any of them and both individuals ended up dying. They could have probably died anyways depending on so many other factors, but early CPR/defibrillation at least gives them a fighting chance rather than slipping down the "chance of survivability" ladder.

The only other thing that I'd like to be disseminated down to the general population is bleeding control, just because there's enough people doing stuff in the outdoors where it isn't outside the realm of possibility for someone to roll an ATV and end up hitting some major artery or whatnot. Needle decompression/open chest wounds is a bit much even for the lay person IMHO.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I should probably take a first responder course again. It's been about 19 years, and most of our first aid stuff in the AF was a CBT then you probably got to meet in a group and pass the IFAK items around so you at least knew what they really looked like. It was better than nothing, but certainly not great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Gah. Someone has rebuilt this engine before, and did a terrible job at keeping bearing surfaces clean. 3 out of 5 of the connecting rod bearings had debris scuffmarks.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Guys I went full Apple this weekend. Upgraded to an iPhone 7 Plus and got them Apple AirPods.

I hate to admit this: I'm seriously happy with the AirPods. They seamlessly transition from my phone to laptop and sound pretty good. Also the battery life is dope.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Augh but they're so ugly! :cripes:

7 plus is a pro phone though I love mine

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
To me, they don't look any dorkier than other wireless earphones. Like those loving Beats ones? Those are a goddamn eyesore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Viva La Android. Viva La Aux Jack.

• Locked thread