Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

RyuHimora posted:

I might not have a choice soon. Taking the job meant giving up a lot of financial assistance I was getting, so I'm actually not quite making ends meet paycheck to paycheck. The sad part is I think I might be able to make just as much money by combining my two previous jobs (Subway/Amazon driver) without giving up that assistance, and I really liked delivering for amazon. This job is almost certainly not worth this poo poo they are putting on me.

I'll post what company this is once I know I'm headed out the door for real. If you want to know who they are so you can avoid them, I don't have PM so hit me up at my gmail (exact same username).

As soon as you have something lined up, you must name and shame in case anyone else here gets contacted by this company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Oh cool some recruiters sent over some stuff that sounds right up my alley but wait they need my references, pfft

Recruiter A posted:

By speaking with your references from three viewpoints (supervisors, peers, subordinates or mentees), I’ll be able to paint a 360° picture of you as an employee to use in our marketing efforts.

Recruiter B posted:

The unique thing about lovely RECRUITER that sets us apart from a lot of other recruiting companies is that we only want to represent the best of the best in the market. So we reference check every candidate we work with before sending their resumes across to our clients.

Unique eh? I've still yet to find a competent/trustworthy 3rd party recruiter :rolleyes:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

Only if you're actually treated as a 1099 independent contractor and can set your own hours, schedule, work environment, etc, and freelance for competing companies. This is not going to happen. They will continue to treat you as a regular employee even though that violates federal labor laws.

You'll lose out on paid vacation, paid sick leave, company general-liability insurance, disability insurance, federal sick leave (FMLA), federal and state benefits like unemployment. Should they decide to stop paying you for any reason, your case becomes a civil contract dispute and you'll have to take them to collections. It's not like you're an employee owed money to be paid that the court could compel them to hand over... because you're no longer an employee.

So if you're considering downgrading to a contractor, make sure you're getting at least double your total compensation and are able to go get yourself a second "customer" to work for in addition to your main "customer".

I largely agree with this. I just turned down an $80/hr 1099 gig. It wasnt worth it; also watch the offer letter because they will stick you with liability insurance requirements and/or push a lot of their own liability on to you.

I've seriously considered setting up an LLC to take on some 1099 gigs; but its never been quite worth it to me; instead I just hardball my W2 negotiations for remote/flex time and have been pretty successful as such.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

They will continue to treat you as a regular employee even though that violates federal labor laws.

This is the first thing I thought about. You're a statutory employee in this situation.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Walked posted:

I largely agree with this. I just turned down an $80/hr 1099 gig. It wasnt worth it; also watch the offer letter because they will stick you with liability insurance requirements and/or push a lot of their own liability on to you.

I've seriously considered setting up an LLC to take on some 1099 gigs; but its never been quite worth it to me; instead I just hardball my W2 negotiations for remote/flex time and have been pretty successful as such.

Oh, and if you do decide to take the job, get a second job with their competitor company B, and then hire your own subcontractor to do the work at company A for a lower hourly rate- which is a totally viable and legal thing for an INDEPENDENT contractor to do.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh, and if you do decide to take the job, get a second job with their competitor company B, and then hire your own subcontractor to do the work at company A for a lower hourly rate- which is a totally viable and legal thing for an INDEPENDENT contractor to do.

It's 1099s all the way down

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

nimper posted:

It's 1099s all the way down

it's the UBER of IT work

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Well this feels pretty drat weird, I've been given a job offer and for the first time in my life I actually have a choice about it... before IT I've had to take whatever crap came my way.

I'm going to reject it though, jazzy office and cool environment but rota/over night working would mess up all sorts at the moment, more calls are coming in so hopefully :yotj: approaches.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We are looking into BoardPacks 365 to replace some custom Wordpress install, anyone have any experience with it? Any non-obvious gotchas that we should watch out for?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Fool posted:

We are looking into BoardPacks 365 to replace some custom Wordpress install, anyone have any experience with it? Any non-obvious gotchas that we should watch out for?

Don't use WordPress

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I don't charge anything less than 120$/hr for contract work. 2 hours minimum.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's a lot of loonies an hour eh!!!!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Argh if you put in your documentation: when X automated process runs, then Y needs to happen afterwards, make sure the loving automated process X is actually updated to do the loving Y thing. Half my day is shot because of laziness of others.

Person that did this? "Oh yeah, I meant to follow-up on that, forgot about it, thanks for finding."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MF_James posted:

Argh if you put in your documentation: when X automated process runs, then Y needs to happen afterwards, make sure the loving automated process X is actually updated to do the loving Y thing. Half my day is shot because of laziness of others.

Person that did this? "Oh yeah, I meant to follow-up on that, forgot about it, thanks for finding."

lol wait so the person actually did the documentation but not the thing?

Usually it's the other way around.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol wait so the person actually did the documentation but not the thing?

Usually it's the other way around.

Oh no, the documentation merely had a single line that said "When new accounts are created, they will need added to this group"

It was a system config change document, they were adding a gMSA, that account is only usable by objects that are in a specific group, there were also a few other changes that happened involving the gMSA.

We have an automated process that creates computer accounts, these computer accounts are the ones that specifically need added to the group above (other accounts we manually create which is rare, such as standing up new backend servers), so really when doing the above change the automated process should have been updated, but for :reasons: was not.

*edit*

and I'm fairly divorced from our team that does changes; most of the time I am not informed until they happen or are about to happen. This has created a whole slew of fun problems where the change team pushes poo poo out, things break (but they don't actually do validation) and I'm left trying to figure out what the gently caress happened because no one is reachable to tell me what they did. My work has seriously devolved into an Us (support) vs Them (Change Team) thing because they push poo poo and break everything then expect us to figure it out. No motherfuckers, revert your changes and figure it the gently caress out, don't dump your steaming pile of poo poo on my lap. /rantoff

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 31, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Don't use WordPress

We are replacing it, thanks.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

ltugo posted:

Anyone here self-employed? Help me make a decision here.

Current salary is $130K/yr plus $5K in matching 401K contributions. I also get $40K/yr in military retirement income. Wife makes $30K/yr at a part-time teaching gig. I do NOT rely on the company-provided healthcare or dental plan, (I rely on TRICARE for that and it's worked out fine). We're still a small startup so there's no company-provided life insurance yet, so I won't be missing that either.

Current employer says she can convert me to a 1099 at a rate of $80/hour, which works out to $150K/yr working 1880 hours/yr (47 work weeks).

So which is better? Don't worry - I've got an appointment with a CPA tomorrow afternoon to discuss this for real. I just wanted to get people's initial reactions.

It is generally not a choice between one or the other straight up, the nature of the work dictates if you are a 1099 or a W2. A big downside is that if you have any problems with your employer you will have to sue them instead of working with the DOL.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I worked for a msp once. I was 19. I realized it was gonna end up me being happy I got to play with a baby nas. That's pretty much 90% of you in this thread. You're not IT. You're the weird guy from the snl IT skits. Go fill up the paper in the printer for me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

You're computer janitors. Best Buy geek squad do your jobs. You just get paid a little more than them.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I worked for a msp once. I was 19. I realized it was gonna end up me being happy I got to play with a baby nas. That's pretty much 90% of you in this thread. You're not IT. You're the weird guy from the snl IT skits. Go fill up the paper in the printer for me.

LOL

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hahahaha. You're precious.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

I haven't bought a printer in 5 years or so, but I swore off HP's a long time ago. Anything 3xxx series or less was a piece of poo poo. 4xxx and up series stuff might still be OK.

I bought a couple brother printers last time we needed them, had no complaints from the users. HR got a MFP that I think does everything you want it to do.

How are those printers working out for you? Can you fill them up for me?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

:(

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

flosofl posted:

My favorite is the ATT pushing firmware to their modems without informing everyone and basically resetting the modem to factory state. And then play dumb, even as far as sending tech who doesn't check in with the networking team, and closes the ticket with "tested circuit - no trouble found". No you idiots. It's the god drat modem, which you manage, that has been changed from static IP in bridge mode to DHCP with NAT. If you gave us access to the modem, we wouldn't even call you goobers.

You still using personal cable modems for your internet?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

How are those printers working out for you? Can you fill them up for me?

Don't know, moved on from that like 5 years ago. Submit a help desk ticket if you're having printer problems.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Don't know, moved on from that like 5 years ago. Submit a help desk ticket if you're having printer problems.

Do I ask for l3 if that's you?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Are you okay, need someone to talk to?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

You're computer janitors. Best Buy geek squad do your jobs. You just get paid a little more than them.

Looks like someone's feelings got hurt.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Are you okay, need someone to talk to?

I'm good. I don't have any printer issues

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

You still using personal cable modems for your internet?

No, you tool. DSL connection for remote sites.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I know when I have printer issues who to ask though.

Sickening posted:

Looks like someone's feelings got hurt.

Can you fix my antivirus?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

flosofl posted:

No, you tool. DSL connection for remote sites.

That's cute.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

This escalated quickly.

I would agree that an MSP employee is likely to be in a support only role, with very little strategic decision making. There also may occasionally be project work. That doesn't mean you should be a dick about it. People make a good living doing it and it's good experience for others.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

I know when I have printer issues who to ask though.

Can you fix my antivirus?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

[imgl]http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Woody-Harrelson-Wiping-Tears-Money.gif[/img]

So that's a no? Can you atleast refill the paper tray or do you outsource that?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lol::lol:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

:lol:

The doc is a good read. Who hasn't accidentally deleted their prod db off the wrong server and then discovered their 5 different backup/replication solutions all don't work!

https://twitter.com/gitlabstatus/status/826591961444384768

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Yeah that's quite hosed up
Pretty sure these guys are hilariously incompetent "Replication isn't working and I dunno why, better wipe the data!"

quote:

db2.cluster still refuses to replicate, though it no longer complains about connections; instead it just hangs there not doing anything
At this point frustration begins to kick in. Earlier this night YP explicitly mentioned he was going to sign off as it was getting late (23:00 or so local time), but didn’t due to the replication problems popping up all of a sudden.
2017/01/31 23:00-ish
YP thinks that perhaps pg_basebackup is being super pedantic about there being an empty data directory, decides to remove the directory. After a second or two he notices he ran it on db1.cluster.gitlab.com, instead of db2.cluster.gitlab.com
2017/01/31 23:27 YP - terminates the removal, but it’s too late. Of around 310 GB only about 4.5 GB is left - Slack

quote:

Sid: try to undelete files?
CW: Not possible! `rm -Rvf` Sid: OK
JEJ: Probably too late, but isn't it sometimes possible if you make the disk read-only quickly enough? Also might still have file descriptor if the file was in use by a running process according to http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/101247/213510
YP: PostgreSQL doesn't keep all files open at all times, so that wouldn't work. Also, Azure is apparently also really good in removing data quickly, but not at sending it over to replicas. In other words, the data can't be recovered from the disk itself.
I'm pretty sure they're wrong here. undelete should've been possible. from my understanding deletion pretty much just frees the inodes at the FS Layer right? the underlying storage is irrelevant.

quote:

Problems Encountered
LVM snapshots are by default only taken once every 24 hours. YP happened to run one manually about 6 hours prior to the outage
Regular backups seem to also only be taken once per 24 hours, though YP has not yet been able to figure out where they are stored. According to JN these don’t appear to be working, producing files only a few bytes in size.
SH: It looks like pg_dump may be failing because PostgreSQL 9.2 binaries are being run instead of 9.6 binaries. This happens because omnibus only uses Pg 9.6 if data/PG_VERSION is set to 9.6, but on workers this file does not exist. As a result it defaults to 9.2, failing silently. No SQL dumps were made as a result. Fog gem may have cleaned out older backups.
Disk snapshots in Azure are enabled for the NFS server, but not for the DB servers.
The synchronisation process removes webhooks once it has synchronised data to staging. Unless we can pull these from a regular backup from the past 24 hours they will be lost
The replication procedure is super fragile, prone to error, relies on a handful of random shell scripts, and is badly documented
Our backups to S3 apparently don’t work either: the bucket is empty
So in other words, out of 5 backup/replication techniques deployed none are working reliably or set up in the first place.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Apparently clinical narcissism looks just as weird on a mid-level IT employee of no particular regard as it does on a President.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As far as I know he's a dev, not IT.

Some MSPs and a lot of them can be really horrendously bad but there ones that do even in the era of :cloud: computing provide solid and stable careers.

After a decade in IT, I'm moving towards development. Pay is okay but there's a significant lack of stability.