Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Freddie DeBoer has a good essay today about keeping an eye on Paul Ryan, even if Trump goes down. And to start messaging now.

It doesn't have his usual tics. If you normally don't like him I would suggest giving this one a chance. Well-reasoned, good advice, not gloomy.

http://fredrikdeboer.com/2017/01/31/keep-an-eye-on-paul-ryan-whos-getting-stronger/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

To be fair, Freddie's writing is usually pretty good. It's his twitter that's unbearable.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

HolePisser1982 posted:

haha it was a reaction to Manning's coming out, which is so much worse

lmao

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

I MAY not be RICH KYANKA but I want YOUR tenbucks

Lowtax might make an alright Chapo guest given that he does keep up on bad pundits. I mean he's largely politically unsophisticated but Brandon Wardell has made it on the show.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
freddie is good

HolePisser1982 posted:

haha it was a reaction to Manning's coming out, which is so much worse

iirc deray posted this the morning that manning came out but a few hours before it actually happened

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you're curious, here's the Brand interview they mention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR4CseY9pk

I like this. And his grin at the end when Paxman doesn't know how to react to Brand's sincerity.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

iirc deray posted this the morning that manning came out but a few hours before it actually happened

The news broke at ~7:30am, he responded 2 hrs later. It would be cool to read it more charitably, but no, he was 100% wrong as gently caress and should look like an idiot

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WorkerThread posted:

I like this. And his grin at the end when Paxman doesn't know how to react to Brand's sincerity.

I can't help feeling that I should dislike Brand, but he really seems to have a good heart.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hulk Krogan posted:

To be fair, Freddie's writing is usually pretty good. It's his twitter that's unbearable.

His Werewolf Twitter episodes are not great. The good news is he's currently quiet. He's largely given up Twitter other than as a place to post links to his essays. I'm sure he'll pop on occasionally but it seems like he's come to the same conclusion as everyone else: Twitter spats make him miserable and accomplish very little.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wow. I didn't realize DeRay was such a hip hop style diva activist. Who are some 9-5 lunch pail type activists that would be good Chapo guests?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Wow. I didn't realize DeRay was such a hip hop style diva activist. Who are some 9-5 lunch pail type activists that would be good Chapo guests?

an episode with rev william barber would be pretty interesting and likely informative for listeners wondering about how action works in places that aren't big cities or already bastions of liberalism

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
"Go up to Murray Hill and watch David punch out David for reasons neither of them will remember the next day." Amber makes me want to live in New York sometimes :allears:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/826536036041887746

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
this would be a great opportunity to convince him to try a sensory deprivation tank and then seal it with cement

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pray for Chapo. They're trying to get Wesley Snipes on. :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

-blade

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm actually giddy

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

I'm actually giddy

I mean, it'll 100% be entertaining, I'm gonna listen for sure

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It almost felt impossibly inevitable

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
not one thing of merit or use for the world ill be said between 2 of the dumbest motherfuckers talking to each other, but they're also 2 of the most entertaining dumb motherfuckers so it should be fun to see Alex bounce gay frogs and pizzagate off Joe 'I used to think we landed on the moon, then I saw a good youtube video about how we didn't, then someone called me an idiot and explained how we did so now I think we probably did again' Rogan. The only risk is with how easy Joe is to sway he may come out of that interview screaming about demons and goblins too.

Wait did I say risk, I meant my deepest prayer.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I'm only interested if they have Joey Diaz on too and everyone is drunk and stoned beyond belief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9p6jRHDZ0E

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm surprised that these guys reaction to the historic matches this weekend has been really muted in twitter, maybe they don't think much of the effectiveness of what's going on.

Will is literally at a protest right now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
they also released an entire bonus bit on the free feed to talk about how cool the protests are and how we need more of them and all. Their biggest critique of it has been, rightly, worrying that after this fire dies down most of those protestors will go home saying 'well I did my part' and not stay active.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

they also released an entire bonus bit on the free feed to talk about how cool the protests are and how we need more of them and all. Their biggest critique of it has been, rightly, worrying that after this fire dies down most of those protestors will go home saying 'well I did my part' and not stay active.

I think the part about how we need the normies a few episodes was a good one too

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm really glad Chapo is able to make a distinction between their disdain for neoliberal punditry and the probably more liberal majority of this wave of protestors. I've seen too many fools out on twitter chastising people entering activism for not being hardened working class heroes and, well, it's like Amber was saying... They're alienating people, not organizing them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well 49% of people support the ban, so we gotta get in there and change that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Will is literally at a protest right now

Sorry I forgot they record their episodes a couple days early.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

His Twitter is pretty good, but the real amazing get would be Peter Stormare, his feed is phenomenal.

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Thaddius the Large posted:

His Twitter is pretty good, but the real amazing get would be Peter Stormare, his feed is phenomenal.

I want to know all about Stormare and Ed Zitron's mystery solving adventure.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm really glad Chapo is able to make a distinction between their disdain for neoliberal punditry and the probably more liberal majority of this wave of protestors. I've seen too many fools out on twitter chastising people entering activism for not being hardened working class heroes and, well, it's like Amber was saying... They're alienating people, not organizing them.

They said it themselves, normies got out and gently caress with peoples money. Thats progress.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 1, 2017

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Which is how they have to slowly work with people they spent hyperventilating about lanyards, smiling at a Hamilton vid once and making a bad tweet once 7 years ago at. That "The Tankie Fallacy" poo poo also applies to the Chapoverse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

Which is how they have to slowly work with people they spent hyperventilating about lanyards, smiling at a Hamilton vid once and making a bad tweet once 7 years ago at. That "The Tankie Fallacy" poo poo also applies to the Chapoverse.

I think they're more than willing to work with those people (again Chapo is not actual activism it doesn't really matter if they're willing to 'work with' them when their main side of things is reading tweets in an Extremely Democrat Voice) but they just don't have any interest in pretending those people need to change if they want to be useful, and they're right. As someone who totally got sucked into the 'alright Hillary isn't perfect but she has the best shot of winning' side of things that was objectively the wrong choice. If there's still some motherfucker going 'actually Sanders is to blame for this, also check out my sweet listicle comparing Clinton to Denarys from GoT' that guy needs to be told 'ok we tried your method, you need to shut up now'.

Most of their 'bad tweet' laughing is from people who still are doing the same things they used to do. I disagree when they do things like go after deray for being pro charter schools mainly because that has very little to do with what he's doing now. If he was pro charter and still being all 'and ya know I have the answer for education reform...' yea it'd be a valid thing to bring up.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Here's hoping. Still sad that that he couldn't be at E3 with the Giant Bomb dudes.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/826678588686659585

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my gooood, we could possibly be getting a Chapo with HBomberguy. That's some real good poo poo.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

drat even the dryboys have been co-opted by David Brock

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh my gooood, we could possibly be getting a Chapo with HBomberguy. That's some real good poo poo.

an ep dedicated to pooping on dark enlightenment youtube dweebs would be a nice distraction from the fact that soon we will all be killed by death squads.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

lol holy poo poo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

an ep dedicated to pooping on dark enlightenment youtube dweebs would be a nice distraction from the fact that soon we will all be killed by death squads.

I have yet to meet the death squad that could kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

When Peter Daou comes knocking to ask you why you were mean to Mother, don't answer that door.