Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having downloaded the sample adventure I'm actually kinda tempted to run this. It's simple and looks like it could be pretty fun.

Estimated delivery of December 2017 for the book seems... excessive, though. It looks like they've already got the meat of the work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Gort posted:

Having downloaded the sample adventure I'm actually kinda tempted to run this. It's simple and looks like it could be pretty fun.

Estimated delivery of December 2017 for the book seems... excessive, though. It looks like they've already got the meat of the work done.

Yeah, the combat mechanics look pretty slick to me.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/326211-2-3-Dev-Update

Multi-crew is actually sounding like a fun addition. I'm really glad that all crew members receive as much money as the host/pilot.

And I love how the first reply is a muh immursion complaint.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
2.3 is going to be the best update yet.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Aurra posted:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/326211-2-3-Dev-Update

Multi-crew is actually sounding like a fun addition. I'm really glad that all crew members receive as much money as the host/pilot.

And I love how the first reply is a muh immursion complaint.

This is the patch that's got me excited about the game again.

I quit because I got sick of the grind and the time spent trying to link up with friends. Now I'll just be a full time crew member and downgrade my ship to a Cobra III.

e: And holy poo poo the "muh immershun!" crowd in that thread. gently caress those guys.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I wonder if you can run a solo campaign that affects the P&P-BGS. Oh no, you rolled a natural 20 and just crashed the rare goods market!

e: The multi-crew stuff does look really interesting but you can guaran-loving-tee that the brown sea won't stop till its ruined.. Maybe they'll implement some kind of fee and wait time with how far away the ship is you want to join.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 31, 2017

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Ran the sample game with some mayes last week. It isn't bad but there are still a lot of holes to be filled.

The ship combat is interesting, looking forward to see what can be done with other modules and loadouts.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Seems like multicrew is only viable for big ships? Which is disappointing, but not unexpected I guess.

Most medium ships all have front facing hard points which makes manning turrets kind of pointless and then the limited ships with fighters..

Probably be great fun if you or someone you know has the big 3 though, two player fighters plus an anaconda to deal with? Yikes.

There is (with that information) no point to multicrewing in a Cobra or Asp, for example (beyond the initial novelty). I wonder if they'll update wings to share missions and rewards and well, that would be a huge improvement.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm hoping that if they let the big three launch two fighters each they let the Python have one.

And that they add some Class 4 turrets.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mr. Crow posted:

Seems like multicrew is only viable for big ships? Which is disappointing, but not unexpected I guess.

Most medium ships all have front facing hard points which makes manning turrets kind of pointless and then the limited ships with fighters..

Probably be great fun if you or someone you know has the big 3 though, two player fighters plus an anaconda to deal with? Yikes.

There is (with that information) no point to multicrewing in a Cobra or Asp, for example (beyond the initial novelty). I wonder if they'll update wings to share missions and rewards and well, that would be a huge improvement.

The gunner can also scan and target/fire missiles backwards as well. :shrug:

I am looking forward to rolling a turret/carrier 'vette though. :getin:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

The gunner can also scan and target/fire missiles backwards as well. :shrug:

I am looking forward to rolling a turret/carrier 'vette though. :getin:

The Cobra III also has two, the Cobra IV even three small hardpoints on top. A good place if you want to let a buddy play turret master.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

This is the patch that's got me excited about the game again.

I quit because I got sick of the grind and the time spent trying to link up with friends. Now I'll just be a full time crew member and downgrade my ship to a Cobra III.

e: And holy poo poo the "muh immershun!" crowd in that thread. gently caress those guys.

This seems awesome and like it has a lot of potential for fun. I wonder how long until it is ruined by the brown sea.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Giovanni0109 posted:

This seems awesome and like it has a lot of potential for fun. I wonder how long until it is ruined by the brown sea.

They're already crying about "magical teleportation".

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So if you don't have turrets or fighters, crewmembers are useless?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

TorakFade posted:

They can scan behind you!

:eng99:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Mr. Crow posted:

So for the cheap sum of having someone else in the ship, you can now overshoot planets and still get the data? Yay. Or something.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Letting random players on to your ship is going to be chat roulette insanity. I think 90% of them are going to immediately open fire on stations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Have a gorgeous screenshot

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TorakFade posted:

You could toss a newbie on your ship and they will reap the rewards of getting all the income you do.

Of course if you don't have turrets or fighters, you're probably not going to ferry newbies around?

I say this as a filthy casual who is space poor.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Crow posted:

Turrets are more(10-25%) energy efficient per damage done than gimble weapons. For ships tight on cap switching a few guns to turrets for a second seater shouldn't be a big hit to effectiveness.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mr. Crow posted:

Have a gorgeous screenshot

Spoilers!

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Each crew seat also gets a bonus distributor pip which means having 1 pip in SYS at the helm could be shields as strong as 3 normal pips in SYS. I wonder if they're going to make 6 pips in a single system possible or if the benefits will cap out at the existing 4. Given how shield strength scales through the roof, 6 pips into SYS could make a ship impenetrable to small weapon and fighter fire. I can't wait to create two more accounts to be buffbots in my ship just for the extra pips.

Also earning triple cash from bounties, and if they add this too, missions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What would a second person do that isn't shooting a turret or flying a fighter? Seriously describe a compelling gameplay mechanic that wouldn't require an insane amount of development capital to implement.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What would a second person do that isn't shooting a turret or flying a fighter? Seriously describe a compelling gameplay mechanic that wouldn't require an insane amount of development capital to implement.

Absolutely this. Until lime 5 years time when we can crawl round the ship putting out fires and sealing hull breaches engineering would be sitting at a screen with no view of the action playing a minigame. Better to leave it...

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIqrn49mZ5c

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I'm surprised they don't have one player on navigation/comms. Bringing up the map, setting the next destination, targeting next stop in system, requesting docking, etc. Not exactly engrossing gameplay but it would give the crew player something to do when you're not in combat other than twiddling their thumbs.

Plus it would give more of a Star Trek bridge commander feel if you were on voice comms with your crew. "Set a course for <wherever>." "Hail the station and request docking." I mean, I do a lot of that poo poo through VoiceAttack right now because it feels cool to give orders to a fake crew, it would be better if you were doing it with friends.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

Absolutely this. Until lime 5 years time when we can crawl round the ship putting out fires and sealing hull breaches engineering would be sitting at a screen with no view of the action playing a minigame. Better to leave it...
This sounds absolutely loving amazing.

Will it ever happen, or will the game run out of steam before we can get to that point though? That's the ten million credit question (which should take you at least 6 months of playing 8 hours a day to accrue btw).

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

Letting random players on to your ship is going to be chat roulette insanity. I think 90% of them are going to immediately open fire on stations.

Heh. My Explo-Cutter has nothing to do for visitors. No turrets, no fighters. I'll let random players into my ship just for the fun of boring them with a relaxing sight-seeing tour of deep space. :v:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Libluini posted:

Heh. My Explo-Cutter has nothing to do for visitors. No turrets, no fighters. I'll let random players into my ship just for the fun of boring them with a relaxing sight-seeing tour of deep space. :v:

"Ensign, initiate aft scan."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'm surprised they don't have one player on navigation/comms. Bringing up the map, setting the next destination, targeting next stop in system, requesting docking, etc. Not exactly engrossing gameplay but it would give the crew player something to do when you're not in combat other than twiddling their thumbs.

Plus it would give more of a Star Trek bridge commander feel if you were on voice comms with your crew. "Set a course for <wherever>." "Hail the station and request docking." I mean, I do a lot of that poo poo through VoiceAttack right now because it feels cool to give orders to a fake crew, it would be better if you were doing it with friends.

Yea I was expecting at least bring able to do this stuff, it seems kind of arbitrary to not allow it. It would actually be really helpful in mining and pirating and otherwise scoping, being able to go through and pick out the actual useful pieces of cargo. Assuming your buddy actually likes playing spread sheet simulator. At the least it's something to do in between fights.

If your concern is having crew members screwing with the pilot, I can list off a million ways you can't prevent that. Multi crew is almost exclusively going to be a thing to do with bros, why the restrictions? They should just have a list on/off switches of functions crew can or cannot do.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Crow posted:

If your concern is having crew members screwing with the pilot, I can list off a million ways you can't prevent that. Multi crew is almost exclusively going to be a thing to do with bros, why the restrictions? They should just have a list on/off switches of functions crew can or cannot do.

Yeah, if the concern is griefing, I think giving another player turret control gives them way more opportunity to gently caress you over than pretty much anything else short of throttle control.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Looks like I'll "need" a decked out Anaconda for 2.3. What is the current hotness for making money? Preferably something that doesn't make me want to hurt myself.

I've heard scamming missions in Robigo and selling slaves is good money. But it also sounds boring a gently caress.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Xae posted:

Looks like I'll "need" a decked out Anaconda for 2.3. What is the current hotness for making money? Preferably something that doesn't make me want to hurt myself.

I've heard scamming missions in Robigo and selling slaves is good money. But it also sounds boring a gently caress.

Robigo is long dead. The new way, and it is legit, is passenger missions it seems.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Please please please give the python a fighter bay.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Frontier Developments posted:

The fighter con role lets a crewmember launch and control a fighter, even if the helm has already launched a fighter using NPC crew. This allows multicrew ships to have two fighters active at a time. In addition, if the ship has enough fighters, both crewmembers can take on the fighter con role, meaning three human controlled ships can be flying at the same time.
:syoon:

This update looks flat out fun as gently caress. Gonna go fly frog fighters for big frog ships :kimchi:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm down with that too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SpannerX posted:

Robigo is long dead. The new way, and it is legit, is passenger missions it seems.

You can also make decent money just being a python mission runner if you're friendly/allied with station factions.

~1.5 million to drop off space junk in 2 nearby systems less than 10 LY away? Sure why not.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

I would absolutely be down for being a career crewmember guy. Take away all the stress and risk of having to figure out what to do in my own ship and just cruise around with people who know what they're doing to grind up space cash.

I quit playing this game a long time ago and I don't even own Horizons, but I would absolutely shell out the money for when this update comes along.

How long is a "season" in real time? To get everything from 2016, I'd have to buy Horizons, from what I understand. Is a new "season" coming along this summer?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I think they're only halfway through the horizons season which was only supposed to last a year total. Dev pace does seem to be picking up a bit. Nobody knows if multicrew will even require horizons. Nothing about it happens on planet surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
If they're serious going to try this multi-crew crap, I hope we can at least get some missions suited for it. Like ground bases specifically requiring a combined approach instead of 'nuke everything with rockets' or 'take out AA guns and then nuke everything with rockets'.

• Locked thread