Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have another look at the video and watch the way the faces actually work; There's no coherent relation between the eye and mouth movements, they each animate as individual objects sitting in/on the head in a way that hasn't been seen since the late 90's/early-00's. Nevermind the woman's head facing off to the side because whoops the animator tried to make her look aside and made it look even more unnatural. Most games at least use a character model that makes the face a single entire mesh so the animated expressions come off more natural instead of this idiotic mess.

The way the sister's mouth moves back to what appears to be the face's default pose in a grimace is very disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

I have PSVR and I've lately gotten to the habit of doing an actual power down from time to time. It was a foolish mistake. I said as much in my initial post. I just found the beginning of the game sloggy and unengaging enough that I just don't think I care to do it again.
Yeah I get that. I play non-VR stuff in 4k/HDR so I have to shut down and swap HDMI cables/inputs to use the headset, which has been a bit of a barrier.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

After thinking about it and looking around, I'm gonna apologize for my earlier comments about The Last Guardian. I think I let my frustration with what Sony is doing with the Pro, and the influence of certain reviewers' impressions, narrow my judgement too much.

I still don't think the game is for me, though. I didn't like the previous games in this series enough to approach a mechanic I'm not very interested in, but I think it's important to admit when you're being unfair about something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Gravity Rush 2 is so loving gigantic. I was trying to show a friend how you'll teleport if you fall to the edge of a zone and I ended up falling through a brief loading fog and into an entirely other, massive zone that I hadn't realized I was there.

The sheer sense of scale is one thing, but the fact that the game basically allows you to seamlessly tumble from giant area to giant area gives Gravity Rush 2 the sort gravitas that it deserves. It feels more expansive than GTA5. Sandbox games should really take notice and take notes. Gravity Rush 1 was a fantastic example of how to do a sandbox game on a portable, but GR2 is simply put a statement as to how to create a vibrant, lively world that's fun to simply traverse.

Like, I spent a whole hour just doing mining, and there's this one site where everything is kinda sideways and I loved just bouncing from island to island, smashing stuff, exploring around, and checking out all the pretty loving colors. Game's a sheer delight, a spectacle with real heart.

I wish it was a bit better directed in those moments of spectacle though. Like the camera just hangs on poo poo for 10 seconds doing idle animations in silence during big scenes in between dialog and action alike. Its really weird.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm not going to let a clip keep me from playing a game I was interested in, but it definitely just went from pre-order to Gamefly. I hope it's good... I want it to be good :smith:.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

TFRazorsaw posted:

After thinking about it and looking around, I'm gonna apologize for my earlier comments about The Last Guardian. I think I let my frustration with what Sony is doing with the Pro, and the influence of certain reviewers' impressions, narrow my judgement too much.

That's extremely big of you- admitting bias is something all of us need to do from time to time. That being said by no means do you have to like the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not going to let a clip keep me from playing a game I was interested in, but it definitely just went from pre-order to Gamefly. I hope it's good... I want it to be good :smith:.

All the actual gameplay videos look pretty sweet, which is what makes the drop in quality so stark. Also you have Ashly Burch voicing the main character, and she's a really talented VA, so it feels like there's something way off with the direction.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Unless she's doing her Tiny Tina voice... :argh:

Not sure if I find that or Steve Blum's Angry Soldier performance more irritating.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

exquisite tea posted:

All the actual gameplay videos look pretty sweet, which is what makes the drop in quality so stark. Also you have Ashly Burch voicing the main character, and she's a really talented VA, so it feels like there's something way off with the direction.

Yeah good for him.

To clarify I'm not saying he is wrong for not liking the game. I'm saying that the reported technical blunders are way overstated and that I think the game is extremely good for a variety of reasons.

I'm playing on a PS4 slim.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I said come in! posted:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has a release date now, July 11, 2017 for PlayStation 4 only.

:peanut:
Looking forward to the virtue posting itt about how anime games are bad and not wanting to read text boxes though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's FF12, expect some posting wars revolving around the phrase "the game plays itself".

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not just the voice-acting of one NPC, the shoddy character animations tell the real story of what kind of quality you're getting because they're gonna be used across the board for everything. Every single cutscene is guaranteed to use them, and they were the kind of poo poo laughed out the door of a first-year college class.

Have another look at the video and watch the way the faces actually work; There's no coherent relation between the eye and mouth movements, they each animate as individual objects sitting in/on the head in a way that hasn't been seen since the late 90's/early-00's. Nevermind the woman's head facing off to the side because whoops the animator tried to make her look aside and made it look even more unnatural. Most games at least use a character model that makes the face a single entire mesh so the animated expressions come off more natural instead of this idiotic mess.

I've already seen other cut-scenes and it did not look like that.

Does anyone know where that footage came from?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fulchrum posted:

I've already seen other cut-scenes and it did not look like that.

Does anyone know where that footage came from?

Seemed to be one unaffiliated youtube account who posted it a day ahead of all the gaming site pre-reviews and gone gold announcement.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Real hurthling! posted:

I wish it was a bit better directed in those moments of spectacle though. Like the camera just hangs on poo poo for 10 seconds doing idle animations in silence during big scenes in between dialog and action alike. Its really weird.

The spectacle comes from all the in-engine stuff IMO. Just the variety of places you can stand on and twist the perspective of the world around. The game's open world is designed with its gameplay in mind, so you can go on top of, underneath of, and all around basically everything in the game.

If they were going to do a third one, I'd just want them to up the ante on in-game objects. Have giant animals, monsters and machines that can be ridden upon, explored around, or even fought and defeated, or create areas with more internal bits, like a giant cave or a large structure with openings in and out of it.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I'm finishing up RE 4, is 5 or 6 worth looking into ?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No just stop. Maybe play 7

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

5 is fun, especially in coop. 6 is a mixed bag, some campaigns are good, some are bad.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I dunno RE5 is okay.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

fit em all up in there posted:

I'm finishing up RE 4, is 5 or 6 worth looking into ?

Yes, play coop. play coop.

They aren't as good Resident Evil games, but become good tension horror shooters. I think they get a lot more poo poo then then should especially if you can get them cheap. in 6 ABD always be divin.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

If you have a co-op partner maybe play 5. The Revelations stuff is also fairly decent.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

5 and 6 are fun as poo poo. Pretend they are anime.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They are boring as gently caress single player but fun co-op.

I can't remember which one it is but one has a showdown on some lava near the end and me and my friend just gave up forever there. So difficult. But they're fun.

I think 6 was probably better co op.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^5

Beastie posted:

5 and 6 are fun as poo poo. Pretend they are anime.

They are Anime.

For me 6 started With the President being a zombie at me. If you don't see that and put yourself in the mood conducive to THAT over the topness being the opener? Just roll with it. I felt immediately upon playing that this should have been a spinoff and that this will all be retconned later. We shall see.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They are boring as gently caress single player but fun co-op.

I can't remember which one it is but one has a showdown on some lava near the end and me and my friend just gave up forever there. So difficult. But they're fun.

I think 6 was probably better co op.

That's 5, which culminates in an epic battle between Chris Redfield and a boulder.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Are there are splitscreen shooters. My 6 year old has been playing the Star Wars Battlefront missions with me and loves it, but I cant play the same 6 maps anymore. Please help.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Are there are splitscreen shooters. My 6 year old has been playing the Star Wars Battlefront missions with me and loves it, but I cant play the same 6 maps anymore. Please help.

CoD Blops3 has an insane amount of split screen content.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm so bad a games like bloodborne. I love the game so much, but if I didn't watch epicnamebro videos, I would miss A TON.

Like now, I've been pushing through the forbidden forest, unlocked the door/lift right where the snake men start showing up. Watching the video, I totally missed a section on top of the roof just before that where a bandaged man is hanging out and then from there the tunnel to iosefka's clinic! Then even more so, he suggests putting the forsaken village on hold to get kidnapped to get taken to yahar'gul unseen village. How would I even know that. Is this stuff people stumble into or something that I just completely miss when looking through the lore items?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

rotaryfun posted:

I'm so bad a games like bloodborne. I love the game so much, but if I didn't watch epicnamebro videos, I would miss A TON.

Like now, I've been pushing through the forbidden forest, unlocked the door/lift right where the snake men start showing up. Watching the video, I totally missed a section on top of the roof just before that where a bandaged man is hanging out and then from there the tunnel to iosefka's clinic! Then even more so, he suggests putting the forsaken village on hold to get kidnapped to get taken to yahar'gul unseen village. How would I even know that. Is this stuff people stumble into or something that I just completely miss when looking through the lore items?

Yeah probably stumble into. I know I did, that giant whooped my rear end. I found that unseen village on completely accident. There are some things about the souls games that you wouldn't know unless you looked it up or heard from someone else but that's how they designed the series in mind.

I also tend to be one of those types (and there are others :v:) who go through every nook and cranny in Souls games because I enjoy when I find a new shortcut or more places to explore.

Still mad about that Bloodborne door that will always be locked even though I know it's basically an invisible wall slapped in.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I will forever memorialize 6 for the end of Jake/Sherry's scenario, where, apropos of nothing, Jake performs a vertical suplex on their final boss.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

My 5 year old nephew is insane about Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Random game thoughts:

2,5 hours or something into RE7, and so far it has been so incredibly similar to RE1 that them saying they're returning to the series' roots was way more real than I could ever have imagined. Just imagine RE1 in first person, with some easy-ish stealth mechanics and there you go. It's so old school in its gameplay flow in fact that I'd imagine a lot of people getting frustrated over running out of ammo or trying to brute force their way through places they don't have the necessary equipment to survive through. The first real section with the basic enemies of the game does not hold your hand, just assumes you'll wrap your head around the combat and not take unnecessary risks. Also the writing is pretty campy and fun which was a huge worry for me ever since they announced they wouldn't have japanese writers anymore - again, super RE in that front. Great stuff.

As for FFXV, I blasted through it this month and am 80 hours in at this point. It's loving poo poo. The story is told unbelievably poorly despite being very straightforward. Fighting in a foresty area makes the camera get behind bushes all the time. The parts where DLC episodes fit in are ridiculously obvious. The game has enough cuts to make another AAA game with. I've come across way too many glitches where I got stuck in place. There are some super lovely dungeons. You can only accept one Hunt sidequest at a time after which you go back and get a new one which wastes a ton of time.

It's also super fun and I love it so much, I like these four loving goofball idiots and their stupid quips, the ending was real good for me and the basic gameplay is decent enough. Music is amazingly good. The undeveloped villain is a likable one. Driving around listening to old FF tunes rules. Most of all, it's got a shitload of charm and heart poured into it.

In closing, I really enjoy this carbage pile of a game and am surely going to pass 100 hours easily. FFXV is so goodbad I've never seen the likes before. Uh, Deadly Premonition might be close though?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Man, Deadly Premonition. That's one of the only games I've seen where people watching me play had more fun than I had playing it. It was such a chore. Which is a shame because it was full of ideas. It felt like a Yakuza game set in Twin Peaks but developed by chimpanzees.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

homeless snail posted:

My 5 year old nephew is insane about Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2

I'll second this, my kids love that game, they are 10 and 7.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Man, Deadly Premonition. That's one of the only games I've seen where people watching me play had more fun than I had playing it. It was such a chore. Which is a shame because it was full of ideas. It felt like a Yakuza game set in Twin Peaks but developed by chimpanzees.

Man, having played some Yakuza for the first time recently, I really want a Deadly Premonition game headed by Swery but developed by the Yakuza team.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Seconding all the positive opinions on RE7, I'm having a great time with it. Finally having both a good survival horror game and a real AAA PSVR release has been a treat.

I think I'm going to have to give up on Yakuza 0 though. I was excited enough to preorder but when I finally sat down to play it for the first time, I sat on my own balls. Outtie five thousand

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Seconding all the positive opinions on RE7, I'm having a great time with it. Finally having both a good survival horror game and a real AAA PSVR release has been a treat.

I think I'm going to have to give up on Yakuza 0 though. I was excited enough to preorder but when I finally sat down to play it for the first time, I sat on my own balls. Outtie five thousand

I think you were playing the new Conan game by mistake. Easy error to make.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was looking for a new game to play and realized I never played South Park: The Stick of Truth. Then I saw if I pre-order the sequel on the PS Store, it says I can get the first game as a bonus upon checking out. But there is no PS4 version of the first game in the store.

If I buy the new game, do they just give me the PS3 version of the old game? Or are they re-releasing the old game on PS4, but not until the sequel comes out?

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, but as someone who was able to pre-order the game, download and Platinum the PS4 game, and then cancel the pre-order when the date slipped, I can tell you that the game shows up in your Download List once you've pre-ordered Fractured. It's not available for purchase otherwise on the Store, which is extremely weird, but I guess they wanted to spur pre-orders of the sequel.

For what it's worth, it's essentially a perfect port that runs better and with fewer hitches on PS4 than it did on PS3. If you haven't played it, definitely give it a shot, since Fractured is a direct sequel (you play as the same New Kid, but instead of D&D, they're playing superheroes).

King of Solomon posted:

From Software developed it, but there was significant input by Sony in the development and, as mentioned, it's Sony published. Basically the same situation as Demon's Souls.

Naughty Dog is actually first party. Maaaaybe second party if that distinction matters, but even then I'm not positive on that.

Exactly right on the first part, but Naughty Dog is a wholly owned SIEA studio. They're as first-party as it gets. From would definitely count as second-party for Bloodborne and Demon's Souls (in Japan, at least), since they're independent, but made the games exclusively for PlayStation systems.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

CoD Blops3 has an insane amount of split screen content.

Perfect for 6 year olds :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

acksplode posted:

I don't think I've unlocked this HEAT move yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Perfect for 6 year olds :v:

Rocket League with bots?