Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DoctorGonzo posted:

Im sorry but bad stories are not on my mind right now.

You watch WWE, they're always on your mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IcePhoenix posted:

You watch WWE, they're always on your mind

fact check: true!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Serf posted:

I never played Citadel. I should check it out on this run.

It's so good.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
ME3's ending is fine. There's no reason to pick any ending other than destroy unless you just plain didn't pay attention to the game at all. Yeah it kinda blows that EDI and the Geth end up dying, but war is like that. Shepard lives and can continue banging Garrus.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TastyLemonDrops posted:

ME3's ending is fine. There's no reason to pick any ending other than destroy unless you just plain didn't pay attention to the game at all. Yeah it kinda blows that EDI and the Geth end up dying, but war is like that.

Control is the actual thematically satisfying conclusion to ME3 if you were paying attention.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the ending is so bad lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

exquisite tea posted:

Control is the actual thematically satisfying conclusion to ME3 if you were paying attention.

It's weird how it's like 100% the Martin Sheen's plan though. "No you TOTALLY can control the Reapers Shepherd. Heh heh."

I haven't played in years, but can someone remind why the Mass Relays had to explode in the control and synthesis endings? The destruction of the relays is, like, by the far the most significant thing about the endings (other than stopping the Reapers), but it doesn't really get much emphasis for either Shepherd or the player. They just kind of gloss over it as I recall, but billions of people are going to probably die just from that alone (ignoring the obviously non-canonical extended ending here). But the relay destruction is kind of the main reason Andromeda...is the way that it is.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
:speculate: and two clueless guys in over their heads having to write something so they could release the drat game, probably.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

porfiria posted:

It's weird how it's like 100% the Martin Sheen's plan though. "No you TOTALLY can control the Reapers Shepherd. Heh heh."

It's not TIM's plan, though. He wanted to dominate the Reapers and use them as a weapon. Saren wanted to submit and prove his usefulness to them. In the Control ending, Shepard effectively becomes the Reaper AI with his/her morality determining the new reaper protocol.

Or did you think it was a total accident in a game whose main themes center around cycles and the sins of the past returning to haunt us in the present, that the galaxy-harvesting, cybernetic "reapers" are then replaced by a half-man, half-machine character named "Shepard"?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Having been replaying ME3, the game constantly beats you over the head that it wants you to choose synthesis. The mistake they made is that the super special ending with Shepard living is with destroy, so that's what everyone is going to want to choose because they want Shep to live happily ever after with their waifu or Garrus.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Codependent Poster posted:

Having been replaying ME3, the game constantly beats you over the head that it wants you to choose synthesis. The mistake they made is that the super special ending with Shepard living is with destroy, so that's what everyone is going to want to choose because they want Shep to live happily ever after with their waifus or and Garrus.

ftfy

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
OH WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Having been replaying ME3, the game constantly beats you over the head that it wants you to choose synthesis. The mistake they made is that the super special ending with Shepard living is with destroy, so that's what everyone is going to want to choose because they want Shep to live happily ever after with their waifu or Garrus.

Destroy's the best option because that stupid star kid dies.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drifter posted:

also everyone is like "Shepard you must DESTROY THE REAPERS" and imo you should follow their advice

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Drifter posted:

I've heard that you can just shoot the star kid with your pistol and that begins another ending as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

OH WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN

This is a lame flowchart because it assumes that the Quarians would ever be useful at anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I've heard that you can just shoot the star kid with your pistol and that begins another ending as well.

Yep. That's the ending where the Reapers destroy civilization and you see Liara's hologram buried underground explaining how the next civ can go abotu killing the reapers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TastyLemonDrops posted:

the gently caress you for questioning my ending ending

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im playing the Omega dlc and im loving bored.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

March is pretty far away in this current political landscape - are there any other alien loving simulators that are available now?

http://www.funny-games.biz/alien-sex-games.html

I can't speak to the quality of the games or the viruses and spyware that I assume they install.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Drifter posted:

Yep. That's the ending where the Reapers destroy civilization and you see Liara's hologram buried underground explaining how the next civ can go abotu killing the reapers.

I always wanted Shepard to just bury EDI instead.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
With all the DLC story stuff and the extended ending the ending actually seems totally fine. It's not great or anything but once they did all the patching it's just meh if anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

With all the DLC story stuff and the extended ending the ending actually seems totally fine. It's not great or anything but once they did all the patching it's just meh if anything.

That's true. After they were FORCED to go back to it and rework it - with much more (more than none lol) team input - it came out all right.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the revamped ending is, uh, worse

like the original ending is bad but it stuck to its guns

the extended cut adds a bunch of nonsensical mealy-mouthed compromises

they should have either kept it as-is or revamped it entirely tbh

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Such as?

And was there only one original ending or something?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You can tell they wanted the Synthesis ending to be the good ending just because you have the destroy ending by default, unlock control at a certain amount of war score and then synthesis at more after that. That's an explicit value judgement.

Also the Refusal ending is absolutely the most petty thing they could've included.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Drifter posted:

Such as?

The only one that comes to mind is that the relays don't explode at higher war score (or what ever it's called)

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Such as?

Probably explicitly showing that, no, the entire galaxy didn't turn into a wasteland after the war (except in the low ems Destroy ending), and everyone was able to rebuild what was damaged by the Reapers/the Crucible

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pattonesque posted:

The extended cut (and the leviathan dlc) bothers to actually mention what the star child or the reapers even are or what the crucible is and adds just basic information of what is happening in the ending.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drifter posted:

Such as?

I mean they have the Normandy fly down immediately (from where?) to pick your wounded squadmates up in the middle of what was supposed to be an all-out dash to the beam

meanwhile Harbinger, who has been firing his capital-ship caliber beams at individual soldiers, just kind of looks at the cruiser hovering for like two minutes over the battlefield. he even *turns to watch it go*

and all of this was in the service of *yet another* emotional goodbye to your squadmates. some of the moments are kind of nice and loaded with pathos but they're absurd when you see the murdergod robot in the background chilling out like it's ... a cutscene in a video game.

like I said, either leave it as-is or revamp it entirely

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, the post :speculate: cut-scenes explaining what exactly happened were needed, because Destroy seemed to imply that not only were you crippling the entire galactic community, you were also probably killing hundreds of thousands of turians and quarians who were caught in levo space with no food. Normandy flying down to get your crewmembers while harbinger stands awkwardly in the background trying to remember his line is dumb, and is there because they had to justify the beam team being there during the final cutscene to hang your plaque up on the wall on the jungle planet. Which was dumb and continues to be dumb.

And yes the "Shoot the child ending" is just spiteful. "Oh you don't like one of our three perfect endings then gently caress you we'll get someone who does."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

exquisite tea posted:

This is a lame flowchart because it assumes that the Quarians would ever be useful at anything.
Let's be fair now, they're extremely useful if you need someone to get killed or to gently caress something up.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Kurieg posted:

And yes the "Shoot the child ending" is just spiteful. "Oh you don't like one of our three perfect endings then gently caress you we'll get someone who does."

It's not Bioware who comes off as childish here.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

SubponticatePoster posted:

Let's be fair now, they're extremely useful if you need someone to get killed or to gently caress something up.

Every sci-fi race is good at just one thing: Turians are good at military discipline, Salarians are good at being fast, Asari are good at being sexy, and Quarians are good at making AI's.

Unfortunately this led to them being kicked off their planet onto ships that they weren't good at maintaining, in an artificial environment they weren't good at regulating, looking for a new planet they weren't good at finding. All without their really efficient labor force they had built to do all the things they weren't good at.

It'd be like if the entire Asari race contracted an STD that was only fatal to non-Asari.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nevets posted:

It'd be like if the entire Asari race contracted an STD that was only fatal to non-Asari.

Fortunately they send them all camping if they find out they have it instead.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The fact that the shoot star kid ending, which was patched in with the changed endings and not available at release, had the star kid roar at you in Harbinger's voice when you shoot him just proves that all the endings were all bad endings and you were being tricked. Refusal is the only moral choice.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
indoctrination theory was the best theory

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The fact that the shoot star kid ending, which was patched in with the changed endings and not available at release, had the star kid roar at you in Harbinger's voice when you shoot him just proves that all the endings were all bad endings and you were being tricked. Refusal is the only moral choice.

I would have liked to have been able to push a switch and have starkid transform into a sexy Asari hologram, and then been given the opportunity to seduce her/it in order to get her to reprogram the reapers for peaceful exploration purposes.

Destroy ending, more like Destroy Dat rear end ending. :shepface:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drifter posted:

I would have liked to have been able to push a switch and have starkid transform into a sexy Asari hologram, and then been given the opportunity to seduce her/it in order to get her to reprogram the reapers for peaceful exploration purposes.

Destroy ending, more like Destroy Dat rear end ending. :shepface:

Please dont talk about my wife Samara like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
True ending to Mass Effect is dying in Mass Effect 2 to Morinth anyway.