Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

watching Dubai now and Quickstep Floors really is the worst team name

e:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news/cavendish-sprints-to-third-on-a-flat-tire-in-dubai_429819

I wondered why cav looked like he just wasn't really going for it

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Paddyb posted:

The women's cyclocross worlds race was rad. Really fast on ice and brutal crashes everywhere.

Canada got top 5

:trumppop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9hUiGyw_lg

That was awesome. Haven't watched cyclocross in years. Is that type of course typical? It made me want to try it.
I also like that you can see that they're working hard. Sometimes the road races just look too easy.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Skarsnik posted:

watching Dubai now and Quickstep Floors really is the worst team name

e:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news/cavendish-sprints-to-third-on-a-flat-tire-in-dubai_429819

I wondered why cav looked like he just wasn't really going for it

I do wonder when these guys are going to switch to tubeless. No fear of delaminating rim brake clinchers with disc brakes slowly making their way into the peloton.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kidsafe posted:

I do wonder when these guys are going to switch to tubeless. No fear of delaminating rim brake clinchers with disc brakes slowly making their way into the peloton.

Aren't they running tubs anyway?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Aren't they running tubs anyway?

The point is tubeless requires a bead hook, and rim brake carbon clinchers aren't used because partly because they have a history of delamination on alpine descents. There are exceptions. I believe some neutral service wheels are clinchers. I also know some individual TTs have been run on clinchers because pan-flat stage.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 31, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kidsafe posted:

The point is tubeless requires a bead hook, and rim brake carbon clinchers aren't used because partly because they have a history of delamination on alpine descents. There are exceptions. I believe some neutral service wheels are clinchers. I also know some individual TTs have been run on clinchers because pan-flat stage.

What's the advantage of running tubeless over tubulars?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What would be the advantage of Tubeless over tubs? I thought tubs were as good as it got

I know little about this, genuine question

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

What's the advantage of running tubeless over tubulars?

Lower Crr, race sealant can plug some pretty huge leaks. Yes, I realize you can technically fill tubs with sealant too, but latex inner tubes plus liquid latex can result in malformed tubes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kidsafe posted:

Lower Crr, race sealant can plug some pretty huge leaks. Yes, I realize you can technically fill tubs with sealant too, but latex inner tubes plus liquid latex can result in malformed tubes.

Do the pros use sealant at all?. And while not a pro, I've never had any issues with malformed tubes from sealant. (I'm one of the silly ones using tubs on my commuter).
I've looked at switching to tubeless, but since you seemingly require a compressor and/or CO2 cartridge to seat the tire, I can't see any advantages over tubs.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I have used a normal track pump to seat all my tubeless tires. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get the beads to pop in with tubeless conversions, but with wide rims and those bead lips in the tire bed I've never had an issue.

Pros don't use sealant...they wait for the team service or neutral service to exchange the wheel obviously. Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures for monuments and are also slightly more aero than tubulars because of better laminar flow over tire and rim surface.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

kidsafe posted:

I have used a normal track pump to seat all my tubeless tires. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to get the beads to pop in with tubeless conversions, but with wide rims and those bead lips in the tire bed I've never had an issue.

Pros don't use sealant...they wait for the team service or neutral service to exchange the wheel obviously. Tubeless tires can be run at lower pressures for monuments and are also slightly more aero than tubulars because of better laminar flow over tire and rim surface.

Well, still. How many carry a track pump around?. I also don't know what 'monuments' mean, but higher pressure usually means lower rolling resistance and one of the big attractions of using tubulars (for me anyway), is that running a tubular at 120psi feels like running with a clincher at 80psi in terms of comfort, but with the 'speed' of the higher psi.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Why would anyone need to carry a pump around in a race? What are you going on about?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

not sure how many read the competitive cycling thread

Placenta Smoothie posted:

It's with great sadness (for me, at least. For some of you this will undoubtedly be good news) that Gibbo died on January 11th.
He was 29.
Shortly after fighting off colon cancer, he was diagnosed with inoperable, untreatable lung cancer in 2014. Instead of curling up into a ball like a bitch, he made a run for it to see how far he could get. Turns out he didn't do too bad.

I met him in the early summer of '07, when he was looking for a roommate. We split a lovely basement suite for several years before going our separate ways, though we'd always kept in touch.
I was there when he came back from rear end cancer treatment to keep riding, and had gotten back into reasonably good shape.
The next time I saw him was in his home just this past December, when he told me he was dying and I should probably come say goodbye.
He was maybe 110 pounds, on oxygen and a range of painkillers, and at times could barely manage to lift his head.
I promised him I'd do the internet rounds for him once it was over.
When I shook his hand and gave him a hug goodbye, his grip was strong.
A couple weeks later he was able to get a hospice bed. Some of the super high texts I got at all hours of the night were fairly entertaining.
As he'd have likely quipped, his family and girlfriend poo poo the bed in telling people he'd passed - I only just found out, and was supposed to have been at the service.

And now you know.
As you were.

he was a grumpy oval office who hated grand tours, but still its still sad :smith:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Skarsnik posted:

he was a grumpy oval office who hated grand tours, but still its still sad :smith:

Awwwww man rip Gibbo

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Condolences, RIP crushing watts in the sky.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Jesus, that sucks. RIP.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

RIP.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Kittel got punched in the face today. https://twitter.com/marcelkittel/status/827138804402237441/photo/1

Crosswinds bring out the worst in people.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUGNKwcbbDw

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
hell yeah, a dude named Taco van der Hoorn was in the break at Algarve today.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
:taco:

*looks at comically oversized heart monitor watch*

According to my calculations, Het Volk is in less than (7) seven days

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I feel like every injury is just going to get blamed on the disc brakes from now on

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/eoin-doull-blames-kittels-disc-brakes-injuries-sliced-shoe/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
It's extra hilarious because it's pretty clear that he hit part of the temporary fencing (causing some discoloration in the shoe.)

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Yeah the video makes it pretty hard to believe that he manages to hit his left foot on Kittel's disc, who is on the right of him. The fence is on the left though.

I'm going to check out the Track Cycling World Cup in LA this Saturday, anyone worth yelling at or cheering for?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kidsafe posted:

It's extra hilarious because it's pretty clear that he hit part of the temporary fencing (causing some discoloration in the shoe.)

Looks like kittels disc was rusty and sharp to me, ban this filth

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
It's kinda funny how much the pros hate discs, they always go for the spinning fiery blades imagery. Surprised more people haven't become early adopters to strike fear into the hearts of their rivals. Next level marginal gains strats.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Premature ejacula- posted:

Surprised more people haven't become early adopters to strike fear into the hearts of their rivals.

Omerta 2: Disc Rotors

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Premature ejacula- posted:

It's kinda funny how much the pros hate discs, they always go for the spinning fiery blades imagery. Surprised more people haven't become early adopters to strike fear into the hearts of their rivals. Next level marginal gains strats.

Oh God yes, anodize them red and laser etch a serrated pattern into the cooling fins,

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dont wear cardboard shoes kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpsGxKdBwS0

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/inrng/status/835113712256237568

horns.aiff

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:discourse:

he didnt use the disc brakes either today

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Quintana is the dumbest fucker in the peloton.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
What's with the officials standing on the box in the road?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That was a huge pileup. Kristoff was at the bottom of that. Also gently caress off to the photo bike pacing Boonen back to the bunch.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Boonen too but he's chasing back. Fun stuff

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Boonen too but he's chasing back. Fun stuff

He was sat behind a photo bike for at least a km. Could have been a motopaced training ride it was that obvious.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
That quite a split.

I'd like to see Sagan punch Grivko for skipping pulls

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I feel like Sagan could ride away from the lot of them here.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Molenberg in about 5k. I think he does a Cancellara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
So the whole spring classics is gonna be GVA, Van Marcke, and Sagan