Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Is that Free Pool or Free Poo!?

Free Pool. It's a good night to work on your bank shot since...Uhh... It's Monday and only weirdos like me have Tuesdays off.

E: Star Trek related pic

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Didn't Genesis win a makeup emmy or something?

Deserved it. Pity the plot wasn't tweaked slightly to the left to be alien experiments or some poo poo that would've made slightly more sense.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Genesis started my "let me see the damned monster" belief, I think. Still can't imagine that 80% of that proto-Klingon was in shadow the entire episode.

Still, I just can't hate the episode. Data tells Picard he'll become a pygmy marmoset, and there's a scene with PStew climbing subtly like a monkey later on. It's dumb but awesome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The real problem with Genesis is that it builds up all this great tension with the dim lighting, the grotesque props, the over the shoulder camera, hideous monsters, strange growlings and bellowings filling the air, Picard degenerating into a pitiful terrified man-ape, and then the plot climaxes in loving nothing. Oh, Data found the cure and everyone was fixed and they had a laugh, cool :silent:

They don't even bring up that Worf melted Crusher's face off with his acid sputum or (presumably) ripped Lt. Redshirt Helmsman's spine out through his rear end. Like, doesn't he feel guilty? gently caress knows. The episode seems like it might be trying to say something about fear and primitive nature vs reason and logic, but it isn't, that's all incidental to the real point which is the bitchin' makeup. It's a memorable episode but thematically lame, even for late TNG.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Lack of continuity is what bugged me about a lot of TNG's episodes and it's why I've always loved DS9 more. It manages to make the trek universe feel full of actual ramifications.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh poo poo the Abductions episode scared the poo poo out of me. When I was younger i was terrified of Alien Abductions becuase they constantly had them on TV and it was as if this was a huge epidemic. The scene where they're using the holodeck to reason out the lab was freaky.

I had to take a test once where the teacher had the lights out so we could see x-rays on a projector and then everyone was supposed to bring a small flashlight so they could see where they were writing their answers. The room was filled with the sound of flashlights being irregularly clicked on/off by 100+ people.

"I've been in this room before."

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?
Just finished reading "The Fifty-Year Mission: The First 25 years" and it was a great read. Now I'm on to the next 25.

We also finished watching Enterprise a couple of weeks ago, and good god, who thought that killing Trip like that was a good idea?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tikifire posted:

Just finished reading "The Fifty-Year Mission: The First 25 years" and it was a great read. Now I'm on to the next 25.

We also finished watching Enterprise a couple of weeks ago, and good god, who thought that killing Trip like that was a good idea?

I think the next 25 is better than the first twenty five but you gotta read between the lines.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MisterBibs posted:

Genesis started my "let me see the damned monster" belief, I think. Still can't imagine that 80% of that proto-Klingon was in shadow the entire episode.

Still, I just can't hate the episode. Data tells Picard he'll become a pygmy marmoset, and there's a scene with PStew climbing subtly like a monkey later on. It's dumb but awesome.

All the pre-transformation acting is great and fun when you know what's coming. Barclay is twitchy and spreads himself out/looms over other people, Ogawa gets up from a table with the tops of her fists like an orangutan, etc.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Didn't Genesis win a makeup emmy or something?

Deserved it. Pity the plot wasn't tweaked slightly to the left to be alien experiments or some poo poo that would've made slightly more sense.

Yeah it did, and as dipshit dumb as the plot was, the makeup work was amazing. When mutated Paris coughs up his own tongue while his face skin looks like it's about to slough off Brundlefly-style, that was gross as hell.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
going to stream Star Trek The Next Generation: A Final Unity soon: http://www.hitbox.tv/mateo360

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cat Hatter posted:

I had to take a test once where the teacher had the lights out so we could see x-rays on a projector and then everyone was supposed to bring a small flashlight so they could see where they were writing their answers. The room was filled with the sound of flashlights being irregularly clicked on/off by 100+ people.

"I've been in this room before."

Don't you hate being in a situation like this where you can't just bust out the one-liner right then and there because even though it's dark and it would be funny you know nobody else would get it?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Data Graham posted:

Don't you hate being in a situation like this where you can't just bust out the one-liner right then and there because even though it's dark and it would be funny you know nobody else would get it?

I know right? I had to sit on that one for years so I could tell all my real friends in the Star Trek thread.

...and then everybody stood up and clapped.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I actually didn't think Genesis was SOOOO bad at the DNA stuff, at least relative to other examples in the series. I appreciated that they at least tried to make it sound plausible (introns and junk DNA that were vestiges of previous evolutionary forms)

My biggest gripe in any of these DNA changing episodes is how the changes happen almost instantly (like the transporter turning the cast into children). And then how people are reverted back to 100% health. Do you even get a sick day?

I can't imagine what kind of mental trauma would be involved in my brain turning into a lizard and back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Lack of continuity is what bugged me about a lot of TNG's episodes and it's why I've always loved DS9 more. It manages to make the trek universe feel full of actual ramifications.

You're mistaken, Rick Berman invented the idea of series continuity in season 3 of enterprise, it was never done before that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I actually didn't think Genesis was SOOOO bad at the DNA stuff, at least relative to other examples in the series. I appreciated that they at least tried to make it sound plausible (introns and junk DNA that were vestiges of previous evolutionary forms)

My biggest gripe in any of these DNA changing episodes is how the changes happen almost instantly (like the transporter turning the cast into children). And then how people are reverted back to 100% health. Do you even get a sick day?

I can't imagine what kind of mental trauma would be involved in my brain turning into a lizard and back.

Every time Westley talks you just start hissing and your eyes roll around wildly.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Uhura is singing and Spock is playing the harp.

Am I high? Am I not high enough?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

WampaLord posted:

I'm pretty sure you're just watching the only episode of the original series JJ Abrams ever saw.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WampaLord posted:

Good god, the sexism.

It never stops.

WampaLord posted:

I see you're learning the joys of 1960's TV.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's been a while since Harry got bitch slapped.

Yesssssss

:siren: POST GIFS OF HARRY KIM GETTING OWNED :siren:

:slick: :sotw: :parrot: :snoop: :bubblewoop:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pakled posted:

I see you're learning the joys of 1960's TV.

Surely this was weird even for then, Gene was a weirdo pervert regardless of era.

E: I am now seeing TOS' idea of what a gym is. :stare:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 31, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

Surely this was weird even for then, Gene was a weirdo pervert regardless of era.

If it wasn't weird even for then it wouldn't have stuck around. Dramatic TV in the 60s was poo poo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Speaking of the Great Weirdo Pervert of the Galaxy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QHrNdgX4U

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WampaLord posted:

I like the guy in the background on the two ropes in the wall.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

If it wasn't weird even for then it wouldn't have stuck around. Dramatic TV in the 60s was poo poo.

NO DISAGREEING!

Just making a joke, you have a point

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

Speaking of the Great Weirdo Pervert of the Galaxy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9QHrNdgX4U

Here's one that still works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOkN6kgxS4w

John Eaves is involved in this isn't he, I can see his fugly rear end design work in there

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tighclops posted:

John Eaves is involved in this isn't he, I can see his fugly rear end design work in there

I actually don't think so, his involvement with Trek has been steadily declining -- he did a lot of ship work on '09, but for Into Darkness he only designed some Klingon props, and then he just did some prop concept art for Beyond.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Genesis is a really entertaining episode with some genuinely disturbing bits, it just has the misfortune of being centered around a really stupid misunderstanding of how evolution works.

Evolution actually is a directed process in trek, though. There was a whole episode about it and everything.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tsaedje posted:

All the pre-transformation acting is great and fun when you know what's coming. Barclay is twitchy and spreads himself out/looms over other people, Ogawa gets up from a table with the tops of her fists like an orangutan, etc.

Oh, totally. Riker going Algernon talking to the computer was awesome too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Here's another working one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu_W_5oZf7c

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lookin terrible.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I personally love the sickbay foot-powered ceiling-bellows diagnostic (not from that scene/episode)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

I cant recall, is discovery taking place in prime universe or kelvin?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Prime.

Kinda neat that the uniforms look like a bridge between Enterprise and TOS.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Prime.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well it's in both really, right? Since it's pre-Kelvin?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Croatoan posted:

Well it's in both really, right? Since it's pre-Kelvin?

It's not pre-kelvin.

It's 10 years prior to TOS, so about 20 years after the Kelvin.

It actually would be taking place concurrently with the new movies considering how that was accelerated.

2254 is when discovery would be taking place. So the same year when Kirk got promoted to Lt in the prime timeline.

Kelvin incident took place in 2233 and ST 2009 took place in 2258.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 31, 2017

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

McSpanky posted:

Yeah it did, and as dipshit dumb as the plot was, the makeup work was amazing. When mutated Paris coughs up his own tongue while his face skin looks like it's about to slough off Brundlefly-style, that was gross as hell.

That was Threshold

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Haha of course there's a comment on the trailer complaining about the use of the USS Enterprise Delta insignia.

I'm more bothered by that hideous ship design still being used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
So....still stickin with CBS All Access, huh?