Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Iridium posted:

fuckin A, nice.

when i first started at this company they had me maintaining a big web app that was really temperamental about network connections. even a momentary blip that prevented it from accessing its database would shut it all down, result in people calling me in the middle of the night. and of course, those blips were weekly at least. the fix was just to restart the web services.

so i wrote up a VBscript (at the time it was all i felt like loving with) that could check the site for the specific error that meant it had happened, and restart it. worked great, i tested it by running it when they'd call, it'd handle everything for me, and i'd take the credit for being so efficient about it.

went to my manager and explained what i'd built, asked if we could set it up in our task scheduling system to just monitor constantly and cut down on that bullshit. they said no because it was too hacked together and simplistic. i asked if we could go fix the problem in the webapp to prevent it. they said no its too complex.

this was the same group that didn't want me to run a wiki because it was too difficult to update it.

Your first mistake was telling your manager that you were replaceable with a script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

KoRMaK posted:

our office on the 4th floor got flooded,

what

e: oh, a pipe. i was thinking of some day after tomorrow level flood.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

dragon enthusiast posted:

Your first mistake was telling your manager that you were replaceable with a script

seriously, if you're at a job where you can appear to do work with very little effort, do everything you can to maintain that illusion and then work on side projects at work all day

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh god, or get a job at a place that you care about

do that instead

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

KoRMaK posted:

do that instead

lol if u care about a company

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

my long term partner works at a non-profit regaarding humans rights issues in central/latin america and indgenous peoples

it kind of shines a light on how much personal value you could get out of a job.

You could also get a lil bit of that out of a company too. Something like less than 50 people big I guess, i dunno. I care about mine but i guess im lucky

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

KoRMaK posted:

do that instead

lol if you care about making someone else's dreams come true for pennies on their dollars

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

make your dreams, their dreams!

:suicide:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

KoRMaK posted:

make your dreams, their dreams!

:suicide:

fuckin lol

the solution is cool coworkers and a slow day, so you can still deliver and impress but spend most of the time bullshitting. it doesnt hurt if you find one or two things nobody else can do and corner that. not a bad way to fill your day, enjoy what you do, and be valuable without overworking

basically just give up on trying to fight for general quality and enjoy your niche while finding some cool skills and friends

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I really shouldnt talk too much i guess, i brought my quiet electric guitar into my office and bought fruity loops and also unrelated have unity installed on my computer along with the kinect sdk

but i swear i havent used any of it for months! i been so busy!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Corla Plankun posted:

lol if you care about making someone else's dreams come true for pennies on their dollars

that depends. can you get a steady job out of it? isn't that what you want?

do you really want to be the ceo just so you can make as much as he does? at the end of the day, i bet you don't

ofc i'm not saying you should care more than you're being paid to, but there's nothing wrong with having a decent time at work and actually caring about the quality of your output while you're there. especially since we all work hella cushy jobs itf. not such a bad deal imo

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Corla Plankun posted:

seriously, if you're at a job where you can appear to do work with very little effort, do everything you can to maintain that illusion and then work on side projects at work all day

nah the scripted piece almost only ever happened out of hours and was a tiny part of what i did. during they day they had me handling loads of other poo poo. my script would have cut down on 90% of the after hours poo poo i had to do that was exclusively an annoyance due to a badly built product.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iridium posted:

after hours poo poo i had to do

such an american phrase

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

KoRMaK posted:

my long term partner works at a non-profit regaarding humans rights issues in central/latin america and indgenous peoples

it kind of shines a light on how much personal value you could get out of a job.

You could also get a lil bit of that out of a company too. Something like less than 50 people big I guess, i dunno. I care about mine but i guess im lucky

this is similar to what my wife does. it can be extremely emotionally traumatic sometimes but she's very happy there and can't see herself leaving

i make like three times as much as her and wish i was dead every moment of every day lol

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Cat Face Joe posted:

i make like three times as much as her and wish i was dead every moment of every day lol

hell, same but without the figgies

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
the big new employee site that we've been building is accessible from production right now for a beta period, so that we can get eyes on it from the internal marketing teams that need to make use of it. we're mostly keeping it under wraps: the URL to the system isn't easily found but technically anyone could get to it right now, and that's not a huge problem for us if a few strays show up, but generally as we're getting the performance tweaked and content finalized. we'd had a note to turn on a shorter, less obscure domain name to get people to it.

weeelllllllllllll, the communications team that owns the site also owns the quarterly employee magazine (weak propaganda) that goes out. i just got my copy.

it has a two page spread about the site, what neato new features it has, says to look for it in spring of 2017, and of course is plastered with the friendly domain, etc.

my spider sense tingled so i decided to try it... and it's already live.

i expect i'm gonna see a big spike in the metrics overnight as people decide to check it out. i dropped a line to the product manager and i look forward to the freakout i'll find in the morning

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

twist ending: metrics stay exactly the same, no one reads the magazine

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DuckConference posted:

twist ending: metrics stay exactly the same, no one reads the magazine

i guarantee people read it and the following two things are incontrovertibly true:

1 - they have no business doing anything on the site
2- they are the least competent users of anything in the entire organization

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

uncurable mlady posted:

i guarantee people read it and the following two things are incontrovertibly true:

1 - they have no business doing anything on the site
2- they are the least competent users of anything in the entire organization

3- they are absolutely desperate to use every last bit and will report to their boss and yours anything that doesn't work the way they think it should

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

watchin hidden figures, re-installin kerbal space

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

A Pinball Wizard posted:

3- they are absolutely desperate to use every last bit and will report to their boss and yours anything that doesn't work the way they think it should

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

KoRMaK posted:

Why did you uninstall it??? wth

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

Why did you uninstall it??? wth

new computer

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

who brings a laptop to a movie theater? :confused:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Guess it must be oscar season or somethihin

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

Guess it must be oscar season or somethihin

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cat Face Joe posted:

this is similar to what my wife does. it can be extremely emotionally traumatic sometimes but she's very happy there and can't see herself leaving

some days I want to put this up next to my desk and see what my manager says

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

same but also

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

same but also

The guy in that diablo GDC video mentioned how the pressure of a deadline helps

Sometimes I need all that time to procrastinate to become innovative

e: Im in the wrong thread....

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

The guy in that diablo GDC video mentioned how the pressure of a deadline helps

Sometimes I need all that time to procrastinate to become innovative

e: Im in the wrong thread....

there are no wrong threads in yospos* post what you want where you want, no mods no masters

*except the catte thread, don't troll the catte thread

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

lol if you haven't already done this + printed out copies for all your coworkers too

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I was on a cc that ticked all the boxes today
-1 other party showed up 15 min late, and only after being e-mailed to ask where they were
-another party never showed at all
-both sides tried to set the meeting agenda themselves to two very different goals
-45 minutes to say 4 min worth of actual meaningful words
-I was completely unneeded and literally did not speak after being introduces
-was in a conference room with a higher up so could not spend entire call on phone
-beats doing real work I guess

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I was on a cc that ticked all the boxes today
-1 other party showed up 15 min late, and only after being e-mailed to ask where they were
-another party never showed at all
-both sides tried to set the meeting agenda themselves to two very different goals
-45 minutes to say 4 min worth of actual meaningful words
-I was completely unneeded and literally did not speak after being introduces
-was in a conference room with a higher up so could not spend entire call on phone
-beats doing real work I guess

nobody put the call on hold for fifteen minutes, voted one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FrozenVent posted:

nobody put the call on hold for fifteen minutes, voted one

i was on a call that was 30 minutes long and was delayed 18 minutes waiting for the host to fix their screen share before they rescheduled and told nobody

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

A Pinball Wizard posted:

It me

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

pm : stay closer to your mic you keep fading out
dba : ok sorry. so anyways we met with the alpha team
We had a program manager who kept doing this. For some reason she had trouble remembering that she was on a conference call and would turn away from the phone to talk towards the people who were in the room with her, even though the person she was actually talking to was on the phone.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wanted to share this wonderful sound from conference calls circa whenever att still had edge networks

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

Agile Vector posted:

wanted to share this wonderful sound from conference calls circa whenever att still had edge networks

ohhh thats what that sound is? i figured it was some kind of out of band signalling that was leaking into the call

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

A Pinball Wizard posted:

ohhh thats what that sound is? i figured it was some kind of out of band signalling that was leaking into the call

our desk phones are rolms that are literally older than i am and they make this sound every time my phone gets too close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

not heard that sound in ages. are phones getting better at rejecting it or was it a gsm/2g thing? some of our newer polycoms advertise a feature where they can reject it but i have no idea how that works.

• Locked thread