Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah probably, paying $25 to roast my quads and suck wind is definitely something I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I'm about to play in my first outdoor tournament. Any outdoor-specific advice? Or do you just wear the same gear and things are more or less the same?

If you're like, over 30 and want to play hockey a bunch a foam roller is a loving godsend. Especially if you work in front of a computer for a living and have garbage hip flexors.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

mr. unhsib posted:

If you're like, over 30 and want to play hockey a bunch a foam roller is a loving godsend. Especially if you work in front of a computer for a living and have garbage hip flexors.

This checks all of my boxes so I should probably get one.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Played the outdoor tournament in Winthrop WA this weekend. 4 games in 50 hours. We outshot our opponent on average 45-15 yet went 1-1-1-1 (W-L-T-SOL) as we just couldn't score. Still a fun weekend. So how do I recover aside from a 5 hour drive back? Play 2 more games tonight. ugh. both my teams have 7 skaters so yeah need to go.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Apparently my captains team (tsunami) won their division. I never would have guessed.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The more advanced stuff I'm getting into, the more my lower back is getting sore/stiff after I practice. I'm not sure if it's because I rarely ever work my lower back muscles and I'm just getting used to skating or if I'm doing something wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal, it's probably a conditioning thing. Do some supermans at home to strengthen your back muscles, and if it doesn't go away then it's probably not a conditioning thing and you should see a doctor! :v:

I had lower back issues after skating early on as well, then it went away at some point and I forgot about it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The more advanced stuff I'm getting into, the more my lower back is getting sore/stiff after I practice. I'm not sure if it's because I rarely ever work my lower back muscles and I'm just getting used to skating or if I'm doing something wrong.

Are you skating with a stick or without a stick? You might just be bending over too much vs. bending your knees if you're doing puckhandling drills. Even when I was loving around with collarbone-height sticks a couple weeks ago it made my lower back a bit sore.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

Are you skating with a stick or without a stick? You might just be bending over too much vs. bending your knees if you're doing puckhandling drills. Even when I was loving around with collarbone-height sticks a couple weeks ago it made my lower back a bit sore.

Today was without a stick. I think one of my issues is I'm too upright when I'm skating slowly. When I'm going fast, I naturally bend my knees to get more power in each stride. But today I was pretty much exclusively working on crossovers, which required me to slow down a lot.

My back isn't twingy or anything, it just feels sore/stiff like any muscle would after I work out. Stretches and heating pads help make it feel a little better.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I've said this a couple times in the thread but to harp on it, do stretches to loosen your hips. Figure fours, can openers, etc. Hockey can be murder on your hips which makes your lower back feel terrible.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

When I'm going fast, I naturally bend my knees to get more power in each stride. But today I was pretty much exclusively working on crossovers, which required me to slow down a lot.

bend your knees bend your knees bend your knees bend your knees never not be bending your knees staying locked in proper form helps so much it's not even funny. Every time I fall down or do something stupid I can always pinpoint it back to me having the lazy legs and not getting low enough.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My guess is that you're working out and developing muscles that you've probably never used extensively as an adult. You would feel the same kind of pain if you started doing any new sport that uses specific muscles like ice skating, road cycling, climbing etc.

Just warm up beforehand and try to cool down after. Stretching is a surprisingly controversial issue as some athletes and trainers claim cold stretching (traditional static stretching prior to exercise) is actually bad for your muscles versus low impact warmup to physically heat and stretch your muscles prior to playing. I'm not a doctor or scientist so I have no idea.

Stretching or warming up of some sort is better than nothing. I skate around lightly for a lap or two just to get the legs moving. Then I skate hard enough to breathe heavily, take a few shots and sprint again. I don't stretch until close to the end of warm ups.

After the game I find it really helpful to stretch my sore biceps. For whatever reason, repeatedly lifting a pint glass of beer really works the muscle fibers and is part of a well rounded cool down process. Do enough reps until the physical pain goes away and the emotional pain surfaces.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I came back from a pond hockey tournament in Vermont this weekend, and it was amazing. It was at Lake Morey Resort for the Frostbite Faceoff. Skating on that lake with the snow covered trees all around was like living in a Bob Ross painting. The entire weekend was fun as hell. It was a full weekend of playing hockey and partying. In between games I would hang on my room's balcony with some music, crack open a bunch of beers I kept outside, and just watch the other games going on. The resort itself is worth going to too since they maintain the pond hockey rinks they clear, and a 4.5 mile skating trail, which was unbelievable. Even with all the people there for the tournament the ice trail felt like I was out there alone, that's how big it is. Glad I did the trail after I finished all my games, because I was tired as hell. A dream of a weekend.

Watching some games in the distance from my room balcony

Warming up for our game

Skating down the trail

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ponds rule.

My first game (and time on skates) since mid-June is Thursday in a league where I have no idea how skilled anyone is at all! Hooray!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That looks like heaven

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Beaut pictures.

Maybe I will put together a team for next year. My travel schedule is too unpredictable this year

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo, that's going on my to do list. I've still got years and years before I hit 30 and I want to do that before then.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Loqieu posted:

Skating down the trail

Whoa that looks rad as hell

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
This past Sunday we beat a team that I guess we've never beat (I'm new this year, but I guess it's a 2-3 year long streak). They were missing one or two of their better players and we played very well.

I'm also super excited for this Sunday. We had a game that had to be rescheduled due to ice conditions early in the season. Normally playing at 10:30 AM on Super Bowl Sunday would be awful, but a keg has been locked down. Now to see where we can fit it on the bench.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a game scheduled for 5:30 on Sunday. :downs:

The commissioner is one of those "don't give a poo poo what's going on in the world, if there's open ice, I'm putting a game in" types.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
We normally play at night between 7 PM and 10 PM on Sunday. With playoffs coming up, this was the only spot where he could fit in our game. I thought they should of just counted the game, as we were up by a goal 5 minutes into the third period. We'll take the extra ice time though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Went to the beginner hockey class today, which turns out is just me and one other dude with the coach, so I got a lot of 1 on 1 time. We mostly worked on stopping. As usual, my right foot cooperates a lot more than my left, so stopping to my right side is a lot easier than to my left. Trying to shorten my stopping distance led me to falling a couple times. Figuring out exactly how much weight to put on each foot to minimize stopping distance is going to take some time.

Since I went to the advanced class by mistake last week, my first attempt at crossovers was to just dive right in with figure 8s. That didn't work so well. In today's class, we practiced standing still on the ice and just sidestepping left over right, right over left. I don't know how I never thought about doing that on my own, but it ended up really helping me when we moved into doing actual crossovers at the end of the lesson.

I also got the go-ahead from the coach that I can still continue to attend the advanced class on Thursday in addition to the beginner's class on Wednesday. I've already improved a ton this week and I never see any of my classmates from the advanced class during free skate sessions, so I'll probably be able to catch up to them fairly quickly.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Seems like you hit the jackpot for lessons.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get free time, the ONE WEIRD TRICK that helped me the most developing edge confidence was one foot glides. Get a little bit of speed, stand on one foot, and lean on an edge until you start to curve. Glide for either 180 degrees of turn or as long as you can hold it, then swap to the other foot.

Doing it on the inside edge is probably easy.. what you want to build towards is doing it on the outside edge. It feels alien at first but it does help and before long you'll be cutting 180 degrees on your outside edge. Added bonus is this naturally leads into a crossover at the end of the curve (you basically fall into it) so it helps there too.

After that? Try doing it backwards, same progression. :v:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

z0331 posted:

Seems like you hit the jackpot for lessons.

Being self-employed and having extremely flexible work hours helps a ton. So I show up on weekday mornings or afternoons to adults-only programs to assure that I won't be sharing the ice with many other people.

The rink is run by the Chicago Park District, so it's all super cheap to boot. It was $95 for what will end up being 16 lessons, 8 of which have 5 classmates and the other 8 lessons only have one other classmate. Adults-only free skate for hockey players is two days a week, 90 minutes per session, and only costs $3 per session. So I end up getting 4.5 hours of ice time per week for less than $12 a week. Pretty sweet.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After ~500 games, my Vapor X:50 skates are dying a slow death. Holes in the boot, eyelets and rivets popping out, etc.

I tried some new skates on the other day. The new Vapors squeeze the poo poo out of my ankle/achilles and are super uncomfortable. The Supremes feel much better, and is only slightly tight around the mid-foot area. A much more comfortable fit. They didn't have a Nexus I could try on in my size unfortunately. Anyone have experience on how the Nexus fits compared to the Vapors/Supremes?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I believe Nexus skates have the most volume, so coming from a Vapor to a Nexus boot will be pretty drastic.

Also, have you tried the new CCM skates out? I'm wearing a pair of Tacks after 7 years wearing just Bauer and I'm loving them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Never tried CCM, but I see a ton of people wearing Tacks. Too bad my pro shop only stocks the low-end Bauer models. I need to get to the Bay Area to try anything else on.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The rink is run by the Chicago Park District, so it's all super cheap to boot. It was $95 for what will end up being 16 lessons, 8 of which have 5 classmates and the other 8 lessons only have one other classmate. Adults-only free skate for hockey players is two days a week, 90 minutes per session, and only costs $3 per session. So I end up getting 4.5 hours of ice time per week for less than $12 a week. Pretty sweet.

Jesus Christ.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I pay $20-$25 every time my feet touch the ice these days.

Ice around the Chicago region is generally $350 an hour, charging 5 people $6 per skate means they're losing money big time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

I pay $20-$25 every time my feet touch the ice these days.

Ice around the Chicago region is generally $350 an hour, charging 5 people $6 per skate means they're losing money big time.
Our taxes are already paying for it, so if you have Tuesdays and/or Thursdays from 12-1:30pm free, head on over to McFetridge and get on the ice for $3 public skate. They also have Rat Hockey a few times a week for $10 per session.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Graf skates are superior to any other skate. Love the stiffness.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't agree with that, and they're far harder to fit correcty.

I find my 1s to be stiffer than the grafs I've tried on.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Graf kinda went to poo poo over the last several years. Bad QA and they didn't keep up on the tech. Plus Graf Canada went out of business, so you're not going to get any factory support. Word has it that Vaughn bought their assets, so knows what that means. Eagle arguably took a dip when Vaughn took them over.

I say this as somebody who owned the same pair of Grafs for 10 years and loved them.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Never tried CCM, but I see a ton of people wearing Tacks. Too bad my pro shop only stocks the low-end Bauer models. I need to get to the Bay Area to try anything else on.

I've got new Tacks and they're great. I'd tried fitting Vapors and Nexus but the CCMs felt best. Good heel lock without pinching my Achilles off.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Our taxes are already paying for it, so if you have Tuesdays and/or Thursdays from 12-1:30pm free, head on over to McFetridge and get on the ice for $3 public skate. They also have Rat Hockey a few times a week for $10 per session.

Those are surprisingly good skate times. I mean, they suck balls if you work a 9-5, but they beat the pants off of a lot of rinks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, that's a good idea except for the fact that every dollar I save getting on the ice, I'd spend in gas sitting in traffic trying to get there.

It is super common for rinks to have cheap ice during business hours, fox valley near me has an $10 rat hockey at 10am as well, but disappearing from work for two hours wouldn't go over well.

Also in my great skate fitting escapades several years ago, I tried on some Grafs and there was a bit of excess plastic on the toe cap that didn't get trimmed off when it came out of the mold and it cut my toe. So gently caress Grafs.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
For those of you wearing Tacks, what line of Tacks are you wearing, for how long, and how do you like them? The last time I bought skates was like a year and a half ago and I switched to CCM's, but to the RBZ model not Tacks, as they actually fit me better than any of the Bauer skates I tried on which is surprising since I had only worn Bauer for the other 25+ years I've skated. After just a year and a half they started really, really, really hurting my feet. Like lace bite across the tops of my ankles. It got to the point that I was putting padding in my skate on the top of my foot and then barely tying my skates in order to defend foot pain. I've now ditched them and gone back to the Bauer skates I had stopped wearing.

So I'm in the market for skates again but the last time I tried on Tacks the store only had the highest model possible in my size so I just tried them on for fit and they felt amazing. I'm not sure if it was because they were $800 skates or because the Tacks have the best footprint for my foot. I'm also just afraid they would end up killing my feet like the RBZs did so any anecdotal evidence would be appreciated. Or its just back to the drawing board with Bauer but all 3 lines I tried on 18 months ago were not a great fit.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There's an outdoor rink here with open skates during the day an it's only a quarter if you have your own skates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

bigbillystyle posted:

For those of you wearing Tacks, what line of Tacks are you wearing, for how long, and how do you like them?
2014 Tacks, the top model. I've been skating on them for about 3-4 months or so. They're fantastic. Plenty stiff and light, with enough flexion that I can actually tie the top eyelet again (I hadn't been doing this in Bauer skates). I'm coming from a pair of 2016 Vapor X700 skates which felt good in the store, but I could never get comfortable in them on the ice. Before that I had Bauer One100s, which were very good in their own right, but started to break down as skates do.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 2, 2017