Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The Shield has ruined other tv shows for me. The slow build and explosion over the last few seasons is unmatched. Not even Breaking Bad got there.

And slightly on Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul is a great show so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Better Call Saul needs to pick up the pace cause Jonathan Banks isn't gonna live to season four at this rate.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
We agreed that the best movie of all time is MST3K's The Final Sacrifice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4Eo1UrL9A

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Athanatos posted:

The Shield has ruined other tv shows for me. The slow build and explosion over the last few seasons is unmatched. Not even Breaking Bad got there.

I put The Shield up there with other titans of tv(sopranos, wire, deadwood), but it's definitely starting to show it's age a little in 2017. The first season especially. I watched a few episodes of Season 1 last year and you can tell several lines were written for those 30 second TV spots the network would show at the end of other shows("Good cop and bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop.") Bleh. Thankfully they move out of that within the first season. Also, there is that element of procedural police drama that was everywhere in the 90's where they have a crime and victim and it's up to the detectives to solve it. What separated The Shield and other shows of that era however was within that framework, there were big overreaching plots that effected every little thing with the characters.

Man, the arching storylines they build from season 2 to the end of the series is loving masterfully crafted and perfectly fits with the characters and their fates. Especially the Strike Team ripping off the Armenian Mob of 2.3 million and that eventually splits the team up and finally sends them all to their fates. I'll put The Shield's series finale against any other show. It's just so perfect.

It definitely bridged the gap between shows in the 90's and the Breaking Bad's and Better Call Saul's you see today, and launched the drama genre into very risque territory to great results. The poo poo they got away with at the time wouldn't have even been thought of at other networks(even on cable) and FX allowed it because they were so desperate to get people talking about their network and the show.

I highly recommend The Shield. One of the greatest shows in history. It's on HULU right now but they're upgrading it for 4k sometime this year or the next. Everyone reading this should watch it.

Edit: Sorry, when The Shield gets mentioned it tends to ruffle my excitement feathers a little. What a loving show.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 31, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Better Call Saul needs to pick up the pace cause Jonathan Banks isn't gonna live to season four at this rate.

He can keep looking older and older and I'm just going to ignore the fact because he is so good in it. You can tell me he's going to play a high schooler next and I'm aboard.

Chromatic posted:

I put The Shield up there with other titans of tv(sopranos, wire, deadwood), but it's definitely starting to show it's age a little in 2017. The first season especially.

It's such a hard sell to get people aboard. The 1st season still has those classic Cop of the Week episodes, and it's different from what it becomes. Everyone who makes it to the season finale of 1 sticks it to the end and never regrets it though.

Family Meeting.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Athanatos posted:

It's such a hard sell to get people aboard. The 1st season still has those classic Cop of the Week episodes, and it's different from what it becomes. Everyone who makes it to the season finale of 1 sticks it to the end and never regrets it though.

It can be a big commitment for people to plow through the first season these days especially since it shows its age, but it's necessary to lay the groundwork for the characters. When shits starts really going down in season 2 IT REALLY starts going down.

If anyone remembers the RV scene in breaking bad where Hank is outside and trying to get in, It's like that severalfold in The Shield. They build each season up to that "holy gently caress how are they going to get out of this one" moment to the halfway point and then ride that to the end of the season. It's intense.

quote:

Family Meeting.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
You know you're a wrestling fan when you read "The Shield" and immediately think of the stable.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

go go go go ROSCOE! posted:

You know you're a wrestling fan when you read "The Shield" and immediately think of the stable.
Same

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Hot Show Takes: HIMYM, Scrubs and Big Bang Theory (especially) are also all bad

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Vic Mackey would easily defeat the wrestling Shield because he'd shoot them all point blank range then fudge the scene to make it look justified.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Chromatic posted:

Vic Mackey would easily defeat the wrestling Shield because he'd shoot them all point blank range then fudge the scene to make it look justified.

No, Justified is another FX cop show that is good also.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Jojo bizarre adventure >>>>>>>

Oh you don't know what that is well you're in for a surprise

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

Big bang theory isn't just bad. It's revolting.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Athanatos posted:

No, Justified is another FX cop show that is good also.

It's good(really good at times), but Shield good imo.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Leperflesh posted:

This is how I feel about How I Met Your Mother. Everytime I try watching that show I cannot stand it, like nails on the chalkboard.

e:

Hah, I totally skipped over the HIMYM part of that post. Lunch lady knows what's up! :hfive:

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 31, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

the mean lunch lady posted:

Hot Take is Wrong Five

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

I pretty much skip any show if it's on regular tv - like fox, abc, nbc, etc. The only exceptions are whatever Gordon Ramsay is doing and Parks and Rec

Edit: Scrubs was good but I haven't seen an ep in 10 years and I have a feeling that if I went back and tried to watch any of it I'd hate really loving bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Archer is really really good. Actually, binging on Archer when you're sick seems like a good idea, if you can resist the temptation to get hammered along with Sterling.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Archer is indeed good. Unfortunately I didn't like much of Archer:Vice.

That season almost made me hate Pam. Keyword: Almost.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aw, come on. Coked up Pam is best Pam.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Athanatos posted:

The Shield has ruined other tv shows for me.

Dude they broke up years ago, get over it

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Leperflesh posted:

Lmao we watch an episode everyday.

I'll see myself out...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone else yawn every time they're walking the dog?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

got any sevens posted:

Does anyone else yawn every time they're walking the dog?

No, but did you know that all dogs' feet smell like Fritos?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Intruder posted:

Dude they broke up years ago, get over it

I....dont get it...but from the earlier posts up there I'm guessing this is a Wrestling thing.

Last time I watched wrestling I had to stand next to our tv holding the rabbit ears so my dad could show me Andre the Giant beat someone.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

Archer is really really good. Actually, binging on Archer when you're sick seems like a good idea, if you can resist the temptation to get hammered along with Sterling.

Yeah, it's insanely good.

pubic works project posted:

Lmao we watch an episode everyday.

I'll see myself out...

:mrwhite:

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I'm literally the Todd irl

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I feel like Archer crossed the line from Ironically Reprehensible into Reprehensible sometime around Archer Vice. Or maybe the characters just got too annoying.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I've basically never watched Archer and have never seen and episode of Rick and Morty even though people online seem to go crazy for them both.

I remember thinking Bob's Burgers looked like an awful show when it came out but I actually saw a few episodes of that recently and what I saw made me laugh.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

all three can be fun sometimes. they're hit or miss imho.

really, really hate the linda character in Bob's, though

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Rick and Morty is the poo poo.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I watched the first two seasons of archer in one weekend and loved it. Tried watching season 3 and gave up. Then this past year i watched the rest of it and loved it. Its probably my favorite current animated show with Rick and Morty at 2nd. Bob's burgers is good. I actually like american dad despite not liking anything else seth macfarlane does. I even tried watching Ted and A Million Ways to Die in the West but both felt like live action family guy

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Jota posted:

I've basically never watched Archer and have never seen and episode of Rick and Morty even though people online seem to go crazy for them both.

I remember thinking Bob's Burgers looked like an awful show when it came out but I actually saw a few episodes of that recently and what I saw made me laugh.

All three are at least good. I haven't watched Archer since like season 3 though and Rick and Morty I've only watched spottily. Bob's Burgers is great

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Athanatos posted:

I....dont get it...but from the earlier posts up there I'm guessing this is a Wrestling thing.

Last time I watched wrestling I had to stand next to our tv holding the rabbit ears so my dad could show me Andre the Giant beat someone.
Wrestling as an art owns real hard right now.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

all three can be fun sometimes. they're hit or miss imho.

really, really hate the linda character in Bob's, though

:hfive:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chromatic posted:

I pretty much skip any show if it's on regular tv - like fox, abc, nbc, etc. The only exceptions are whatever Gordon Ramsay is doing and Parks and Rec

Edit: Scrubs was good but I haven't seen an ep in 10 years and I have a feeling that if I went back and tried to watch any of it I'd hate really loving bad.

Early seasons of Scrubs are still really good, late seasons are still pretty bad. Age hasn't really changed things.

Also, there's some good stuff on network TV. Hannibal looks like a work of art.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Having seen a couple of episodes recently I can say that Scrubs has aged very poorly. The musical episode was pretty good though. I'm a sucker for that poo poo. The Nightman Cometh in It's always sunny is one of the greatest TV highlights for me.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Since we are talking about tv shows I want to thank the goon who filled me in on what happened after mid Season 2 Blacklist so I can avoid it like the plague.

You're the best

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shangri-Law School posted:

I feel like Archer crossed the line from Ironically Reprehensible into Reprehensible sometime around Archer Vice. Or maybe the characters just got too annoying.

Archer is what Ad Men should have been. That is, yes, all of the characters are reprehensible (not "ironically" they really are universally terrible people), but they're also hilarious. Whereas when I tried to watch Ad Men, I couldn't get very far because all the characters seemed pretty reprehensible but with no comedy or other factor to redeem the show.

I might be wrong though because like I said I couldn't get very far with Ad Men. Maybe five or six episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I like Archer, but I never quite fell head over heels for it like the internet did. It feels like they're trying too hard sometimes.

• Locked thread