Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Concerned Citizen posted:

feinstein will die in that seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Baloogan posted:

you know whats funny? not knowing where to buy pitchforks is something that shows you are a fuckin liberal coastal latte sipping traitorous LIBERAL CUCK

Turns out I live within walking distance of a feed store in the middle of suburban South Florida, who knew? Picked up my pitchfork, torches, and a shovel to bury your poo poo posting with.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Probably, but she's also a coward. At the very least, we can spook her into being marginally less terrible between now and '18.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

An interesting proposal, but maybe a bit of an overreaction :v:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

loquacius posted:

An interesting proposal, but maybe a bit of an overreaction :v:

It turns out Dan White was really after her, but she took him down with a brutal chokehold.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Don't worry, some smart political analysts know what the Dems really need

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-these-2-maps/

quote:

Lost amid the focus on the news machine that is President Trump is the fact that the Democratic Party is in some of the most dire straits, electorally speaking, that it has faced in generations.

On Monday, I detailed how Republicans are the dominant electoral party at every level of our political process. Simply put: The Democratic Party is in a bad way at the moment.

More evidence of the challenges that the Democratic Party faces in future elections came my way today via the good folks at Third Way, a centrist think tank in Washington.  Check out these two maps taken from a PowerPoint presentationdelivered by Third Way President Jon Cowan at a recent conference in Florida organized by Democratic activist David Brock.

The takeaway from both maps is the same: The Democratic Party in the 2016 election became almost exclusively a coastal party.

Hillary Clinton won almost 65 percent of the vote in California, Massachusetts and New York. She won 48 percent in the other 47 states combined. The congressional delegations in that trio of states — 66 total Democrats — comprise more than a third of the 194 total Democrats in the House.

The point is simple: Democrats are in a near-celebratory mood these days as the Trump White House careens from one self-created crisis to the next. And Trump — and his already-middling job approval numbers — may well deliver Democrats major gains at the ballot box in 2018. (See Stuart Rothenberg on the Trump effect in the fight for the House majority.)

But that shouldn't paper over the real problem that the two maps above highlight for Democrats. Democratic support is far more concentrated in a few areas in the country at the moment than is Republican support. The danger for Democrats — and especially for Democratic elected officials — is to look at the protests against Trump's travel ban, for instance, at Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia or John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, and assume that the entire country feels that way. (Yes, I am aware that there have been protests in less Democratic cities/airports as well.) Many of them just don't.

Take the 2018 Senate map as an example of Democrats' challenge going forward. To limit Republican gains, Democrats need to find ways to win not in Connecticut or New York or California but instead in Ohio, Florida, West Virginia, Virginia, Missouri and Indiana — among others.

To do that, the party needs to recognize that the activist wing of its party — clumped on the two coasts — is important but not determinative. And they need to realize this, too: Republicans are, politically speaking, on the march.

lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
well they're not wrong on that point

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AFAICT the laughable part is the one where he seems to be suggesting we should be in favor of the Muslim ban

quote:

The danger for Democrats — and especially for Democratic elected officials — is to look at the protests against Trump's travel ban, for instance, at Washington Dulles International Airport in Virginia or John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, and assume that the entire country feels that way. (Yes, I am aware that there have been protests in less Democratic cities/airports as well.) Many of them just don't.

like, yes, we absolutely do need to try to win over at least some parts of Real AmericaTM but the way to do that is not to pull a Labour Party and go "well, based on the polls, I guess we like this awful racist bullshit after all"

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

Third Way, a centrist think tank in Washington

nah

Serf
May 5, 2011

diet republicanism does not work

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Less than a third of the country voted for Trump, and not even all of them are for the Muslim ban. What kind of dipshit retard thinks you can develop a winning strategy on appealing to only a tiny minority of - oh yeah.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/8/12/1559556/-Hillary-Clinton-Touts-Endorsement-by-John-Negroponte-Reagan-s-Death-Squad-Ambassador

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

shoulda kept reading, smart politics man David Brooks is in it too

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/WSpriggs/status/826556764242006019

William Spriggs is the Chief Economist at the AFL-CIO and not a C-SPAM poster

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

Don't worry, some smart political analysts know what the Dems really need

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-these-2-maps/

lol

Stopped reading at "Third Way"

GalacticAcid posted:

Hey now, he could be both

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

:krad:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

loquacius posted:

AFAICT the laughable part is the one where he seems to be suggesting we should be in favor of the Muslim ban

like, yes, we absolutely do need to try to win over at least some parts of Real AmericaTM but the way to do that is not to pull a Labour Party and go "well, based on the polls, I guess we like this awful racist bullshit after all"

it's not really about being in favor of the muslim ban, but rather it's the simply fact that we have to be very cognizant that what mobilizes activists in our coastal cities isn't going to get voters in ohio excited. and that's a thing that was a huge problem, imo, for clinton - her entire campaign was aimed at those voters.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

As a pedant, I appreciate the correct use of "Frankenstein monster".

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

it's not really about being in favor of the muslim ban, but rather it's the simply fact that we have to be very cognizant that what mobilizes activists in our coastal cities isn't going to get voters in ohio excited. and that's a thing that was a huge problem, imo, for clinton - her entire campaign was aimed at those voters.

The people that enabled a Trump victory care more about their material reality than about refugee welfare yesterday, today, and tomorrow, so these protests aren't really going to do a drat thing to swing the EC. Agreed.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Rastor posted:

As a pedant, I appreciate the correct use of "Frankenstein monster".

It's further proof he's a secret goon, if you ask me.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the Third Way presentation did nothing to prove that though

you should read the article and see the "maps" they used, its hilarious

they removed the most populous Dem states (but not the most populous red states) and then pointed at what that would do to popular vote totals

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
chris cilizza is an idiot and the character inspiration for carl diggler

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
except diggler is right because he uses his gut and race science

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

do you think the Third Way Institute for Radical Neoliberal Centrism is going to independently find that rural voters don't care for the Democrats because it is now the official party of class traitors

or just tell Robby Mook he needs to make his supercomputer a bit more racist

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-trailguide-updates-rep-adam-schiff-trump-administration-1485895271-htmlstory.html

lol the pearlclutching is adorable

quote:

“The radical nature of this government is radicalizing Democrats, and that’s going to pose a real challenge to the Democratic Party, which is to draw on the energy and the activism and the passion that is out there, but not let it turn us into what we despised about the tea party," Schiff said.

Moron~ You're not even budging to the left whatsoever, a slight pull would be radical for you my dude~

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

While our traditional rallying cry of "Wouldn't It Be Nice If Everyone Were Nice" failed dismally, that's no reason to abandon it!

(Got Pratchett on the brain at the moment. Maybe because a world with principled law enforcement and non idiotic authorities appeals.)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fullhouse posted:

do you think the Third Way Institute for Radical Neoliberal Centrism is going to independently find that rural voters don't care for the Democrats because it is now the official party of class traitors

or just tell Robby Mook he needs to make his supercomputer a bit more racist

oh don't get me wrong, the third way clearly has an agenda involving telling the party to move to the center. they aren't making their presentation in good faith

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Bill Burr roasts the failed Hillary Clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZbQtCtxAXM

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Goddamnit Klobuchar

She sounds like she'll cave for the SCOTUS pick on NPR just now.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

docbeard posted:

While our traditional rallying cry of "Wouldn't It Be Nice If Everyone Were Nice" failed dismally, that's no reason to abandon it!

(Got Pratchett on the brain at the moment. Maybe because a world with principled law enforcement and non idiotic authorities appeals.)

yeah but that was after centuries of non-principled law enforcement and idiotic authorities

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

etalian posted:

lmao Bill Burr roasts the failed Hillary Clinton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZbQtCtxAXM

thank you I needed a laugh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

eonwe posted:

thank you I needed a laugh

Bill Burr owns

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lastgirl posted:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/washington/la-na-trailguide-updates-rep-adam-schiff-trump-administration-1485895271-htmlstory.html

lol the pearlclutching is adorable

Moron~ You're not even budging to the left whatsoever, a slight pull would be radical for you my dude~

I read this as "they owe us victory, and we can use them, but we need to make absolutely sure they don't get anything they want in return."

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

loquacius posted:

Spoilers: this is the poo poo that will happen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

etalian posted:

Bill Burr owns

It's especially funny because immediately after the election Bill Burr was making fun of people freaking out, and said "It won't affect your day to day." And now he's like "I didn't know the president could just do that."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Burbank California lol

Also Texas has joined the Convention of States. California will exit the union and 49 states can collectively begin the mass invasion against the libs keeping our nation weak

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hopefully California will take Colorado with it when it secedes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's especially funny because immediately after the election Bill Burr was making fun of people freaking out, and said "It won't affect your day to day." And now he's like "I didn't know the president could just do that."

his rapid realization of what EOs do was pretty fun to watch yea.

"Guys calm down Trump can't actually do anything."

"gently caress wait he's in charge of that?"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pblest/status/826581523931529216

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Hopefully California will take Colorado with it when it secedes.

well a 5th column of californian scum have already invaded the Denver metro area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztlonzEGoNk

• Locked thread