Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Basically the Democrats are at best Rorschach shouting DO IT right now.

And the Democratic base is the guy Rorshach threw down an elevator shaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Trump is doing a SCOTUS Apprentice or something because he's inviting both finalists to DC for the announcement.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two-part cliffhanger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Trump is doing a SCOTUS Apprentice or something because he's inviting both finalists to DC for the announcement.

He'll make his final decision at 7:59, and it'll be whichever one he speaks to last.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

He knows how to work the media, that's for sure.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is going to stab one of the more liberal justices with a knife then install his two then they will rule the constitution allows him to do that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Trump is going to stab one of the more liberal justices with a knife then install his two then they will rule the constitution allows him to do that.

If he literally did that the GOP wouldn't impeach him.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCXbib9MahE

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/826491920826376198

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How long before the Court hears a case on this and the executive ignores their ruling?

https://twitter.com/CharESilver/status/826447357105491968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nitrousoxide posted:

How long before the Court hears a case on this and the executive ignores their ruling?

OK, holy poo poo, that's a Rubicon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nitrousoxide posted:

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/muslim-ban-federal-court

Should be noted that the Donnelly court order granting the stay directs the USMS to enforce it so it isn't exactly ambiguous unless "this order" is taken to mean the EO being stayed by the Court.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think someone screwed up because Judge Hardiman's Twitter account lists him as the nominee.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That's not a verified account and it only has one tweet so who knows.

Javid fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Pretty sure I saw a similar Justice Gorsuch locked Twitter account being discussed morning.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Uh oh

Gorsuch has not made any sort of ruling on abortion, nor has he commented publicly on the issue. This has lead to some within the pro-life community questioning Gorsuch’s qualifications and saying that he won’t be adequately anti-abortion. Pro-life activist Andy Schlafly, for example, went as far as to say that “Gorsuch is not pro-life. That would break Trump’s pro-life pledge to pick Gorsuch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Uh oh

Gorsuch has not made any sort of ruling on abortion, nor has he commented publicly on the issue. This has lead to some within the pro-life community questioning Gorsuch’s qualifications and saying that he won’t be adequately anti-abortion. Pro-life activist Andy Schlafly, for example, went as far as to say that “Gorsuch is not pro-life. That would break Trump’s pro-life pledge to pick Gorsuch.

Yeah well he also pledged some bullshit about the Constitution and his hand-picked acting attorney general is apparently telling the US Marshals service to ignore court order so who knows anymore.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah well he also pledged some bullshit about the Constitution and his hand-picked acting attorney general is apparently telling the US Marshals service to ignore court order so who knows anymore.

Attorneys filed some motions for relief saying the Government is ignoring the ruling as well and have been coercing people to give up their green cards.

https://www.clearinghouse.net/chDocs/public/IM-VA-0004-0004.pdf

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Could someone that cried when Scalia died really be pro-choice?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TheAngryDrunk posted:

They might have mourned his tacky dicta.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Didn't RBG cry?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't RBG cry?

Yes, but that was because he owed her $30.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Sure, maybe his killer stubbed his toe in the dark as he was leaving the room.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NRSC/status/826230032725073921

lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sotomayor comes out from under the stage, baseball bat in hand.

Nitrousoxide posted:

This isn't surprising at all and even if the SCOTUS were to intervene and say "hey assholes, when a Federal judge orders you to stop doing something, you stop for the time being" I'd fully expect Trump to ignore them and to tell LEOs to ignore them because it's not like people are going to take up arms on behalf of the court and try to face down the feds.

If we make it to the State of the Union I can't even begin to imagine how that'll go. Maybe Trump will end the dumb "we'll give the other side our speech in advance so they can do a point by point rebuttal in detail" thing at least? Not that he'd stay on script either way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/444437/neil-gorsuch-antonin-scalia-supreme-court-textualist-originalist-heir

NR seems to think it's Gorsuch. This should be filibustered for 4 years. This guy is to the right of Alito and is not even 50 yet. He'll be there for 35 years.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not being reported elsewhere yet.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

From the article: "Preserving the filibuster now could give Democrats more leverage in the future, proponents of this strategy say. But it would enrage the Democratic base that wants a furious Democratic response to Trump's court pick."

Utterly incorrect. Preserving the filibuster provides absolutely no future leverage. Presuming there will be any kind of bipartisanship ever is wrong.

It is about the idea of using and losing the filibuster on a worse policy or SOCTUS nominee. It has nothing to do with bipartisanship.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

We discussed this tweet a while ago. The original facebook post has been deleted and there's no other evidence the USMS is refusing to enforce the order thus far.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

It is about the idea of using and losing the filibuster on a worse policy or SOCTUS nominee. It has nothing to do with bipartisanship.

Why would ANYONE think that capitulating and letting someone like Gorsuch on the court this time makes it any harder for McConnell to nuke the filibuster on the next nominee? I can't think of a dumber political strategy.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Not being reported elsewhere yet.

Uhhhh yeah I'd deffo wait for some confirmation on this because if true :stonklol: :goatdrugs:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why would ANYONE think that capitulating and letting someone like Gorsuch on the court this time makes it any harder for McConnell to nuke the filibuster on the next nominee? I can't think of a dumber political strategy.

I like how democrats are treating the fillibuster like a megalixer in an RPG and saving it for the final boss.

Except we'll have full fascism and they'll still be saving it for that perfect moment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gorsuch is a hill you can die on. He's a 49 year old extremist filling a stolen and illegitimate seat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The article from CNN is based on 3 days old news. We'll see how people respond to Gorsuch, since he doesn't meet the mainstream test.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

mcmagic posted:

Gorsuch is a hill you can die on. He's a 49 year old extremist filling a stolen and illegitimate seat.

You really need to get over yourself mate. There is no illegitimate way laid out in the law for the Senate to not consent or consider a nominee. The majority didn't consent and that was it.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

mcmagic posted:

Because Gorsuch would replace Scalia, so you're not shifting the balance of the court, but the next one might replace RBG. So if they filibuster isn't dead yet they might compromise and nominate a moderate conservative. Much like Obama's offer of that guy whose name I've already forgotten for Scalia's seat. LOL at this scenario, I love it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The fact that Claire McCaskill and Mancin are ALREADY saying that any Trump nominee deserves a vote is despicable. I hope they both lose.

DeusExMachinima posted:

You really need to get over yourself mate. There is no illegitimate way laid out in the law for the Senate to not consent or consider a nominee. The majority didn't consent and that was it.

It was an unprecedented power grab and the seat was stolen. Period.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Because Gorsuch would replace Scalia, so you're not shifting the balance of the court, but the next one might replace RBG. So if they filibuster isn't dead yet they might compromise and nominate a moderate conservative. Much like Obama's offer of that guy whose name I've already forgotten for Scalia's seat. LOL at this scenario, I love it.

They might also nominate an actual Unicorn.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

McConnell is more likely to murder RGB on the steps of the Capitol building during a press conference than he is to nominate a moderate to the SCOTUS.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Why would they name a moderate conservative? They own the white house and congress. The Republicans don't want to maintain some balance of power on the court, they want to own it. If they were satisfied by a centrist compromise pick they would have accepted Obama's centrist compromise pick, or at least put it to a vote. They went through the trouble of keeping the seat empty for a year because they wanted to own the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was an unprecedented power grab and the seat was stolen. Period.

The first part doesn't matter in terms of legal power here. They advised the president that the answer was no and then refused to consent. Textbook.