Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh thank loving God they're not considering William Pryor. I can handle Gorsuch. Hardiman would be bad. Pryor would be completely unacceptable.

BAH GAWD THATS PRYORS MUSIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news.

This was posted on the No One Left Behind Facebook page a few minutes ago.

quote:

Kevin McAleenan, Acting Commissioner at U.S. Customs and Border Protection, announced today that Iraqi Special Immigrant Visa holders will be allowed into the USA, as shown in the video below. We are waiting from guidance from attorneys regarding the guidance that will be given to international airlines as we understand that many Iraqi SIV holders have been denied from purchasing or checking in for flights to the United States

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

facialimpediment posted:

loving weird reality TV bullshit.
The question in my mind is if Trump has actually picked one guy over the other yet, or if he's going to go on TV to count their Twitter followers and crown the winner of Apprentice: DC.

Edit:
Oh, and I guess there go the Unions?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/30/gop-introduces-national-right-to-work-legislation.html

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 1, 2017

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Suicide Watch posted:

Does Trump have stairs in his house?
Probably not, but he is pretty goony.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/RealAlexJones/status/826536036041887746

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:chloe:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
My current job requires me to read American Thinker all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX2Y___lZyI&t=110s

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

this is probably the perfect response to that tweet

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haha holy poo poo we really are sailing straight back into the Gilded Age arent we? :capitalism:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have so many aquaintances who seem like decent, well-rounded humans when you speak to them in person. Like, these are not stereotypical mid-west Republicans. These are people with good jobs, have many friends who are of different cultures and ethnicities, and some of them are even immigrants themselves. What ties them together is they all watch fox news, post breibart links on FB, and vote R and love Trump.

If you told these people that Trump signs an EO immediately deporting all immigrants who are brown in color, even those on legal visas. Show them the scenes on TV of families being torn apart, of lives ruined. These people would be ECSTATIC. They would say this is good for them, good for the country, and gently caress yea we're making America GREAT AGAIN.

This is why Democrats shouldn't waste time trying to "reach across the aisle" or "we need to listen to both sides". Because its impossible to do that when the other site WANTS Fascism and they want it NOW.

Yep this is pretty much it. Until they are personally screwed over or hurt by a policy they don't care - even if it's hurting their fellow supporters (see: those hilarious tweets of people complaining to trump about how they voted for him and already regret it). Even then there is going to be a surprisingly large number of people who won't blame him or the party, no matter what ends up happening to them. They'll continue to blame liberals, conspiracy theories, whatever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/01/31/democrats-stall-mnuchin-treasury-confirmation/97295254/

quote:

"I think this is a completely unprecedented level of obstruction," said Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Pa.
I have never wanted to throat punch a mother fucker more in my life.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

FastestGunAlive posted:

. They'll continue to blame liberals, conspiracy theories, whatever.

Pretty much this, I know someone who is afraid of losing their Medicare that they got via the ACA. But this individual does not blame Trump. This person blames all those lazy brown/blacks for ruining the system in the first place from hard-working Americans like her!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And with Toomey you don't even at least get the well he supports a pet issue that I like, because he's pro gun control, so it's just crap all around.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

It gets better!

quote:

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, the committee's chairman, said at least one Democratic member would have to be present for the confirmation hearing to proceed with voting. While taking pains to describe committee Democrats as honorable, Hatch also mused aloud about the possibility of changing Senate rules to allow confirmation votes without participation by the minority party.

Translation: "we should introduce legislation that allows us to ramrod through whatever picks we want without care for minority opinion, because that's democracy amirite?"

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
These guys are old but don't look that fat or out of shape, I guess they aren't tired of winning yet.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no bones about it posted:

It gets better!

Translation: "we should introduce legislation that allows us to ramrod through whatever picks we want without care for minority opinion, because that's democracy amirite?"

So basically follow in the footsteps of a certain former Nevada state boxing commissioner.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

not caring here posted:

Errr, I seem to remember during the immigration process that while I wasn't a citizen I had to appoint someone financially responsible for me. So if I went on welfare of any kind, that if I even did manage to get onto a welfare program, I could be kicked off and what I did get could be recouped from that person.

This is true, I had to do it for my wife. You're assigned fiscal responsibility for the person for ten years, so even if you go your separate ways if they go belly-up you have to support them like a dependent.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Redeye Flight posted:

Oh thank loving God they're not considering William Pryor. I can handle Gorsuch. Hardiman would be bad. Pryor would be completely unacceptable.

I think Gorsuch would be worse. I fear he'll support 'strongly held' religious belief exemptions.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So basically follow in the footsteps of a certain former Nevada state boxing commissioner.

You mean Harry Reid?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Holy poo poo. Almost every job you can think of in Hawaii is union.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

This is true, I had to do it for my wife. You're assigned fiscal responsibility for the person for ten years, so even if you go your separate ways if they go belly-up you have to support them like a dependent.

My dad bought a mail-order bride from Russia when I was 15. She brought over her 2 kids, Bogdan and Dianna. Bogdan was a delinquent and the final charge that caused him to not get citizenship was "Fishing Without a License." Anyways, Olga split the instant she got her Green Card, and my dad was on the hook for $10K a year for Bogdan for several years after the divorce.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Apparently, NPR asked the Trump administration to send their biggest condescending rear end in a top hat to give an interview defending Trump's indefensible actions. Oh, and as a bonus, could it be a guy with the douchiest British accent imaginable?

Seriously, I defy you to listen to this segment without having to restrain yourself from punching the speakers.
http://www.npr.org/2017/01/31/512702666/white-house-adviser-defends-trump-executive-order-on-immigration

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

If the Republicans put forth a decent candidate IE Republican but sane then IMO it needs to happen. IF an issue goes to the supreme court and its split 4/4 it will be used by Trump to ignore that branch of government entirely.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Wrong thread

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigDave posted:

You mean Harry Reid?

Correct.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Apparently, NPR asked the Trump administration to send their biggest condescending rear end in a top hat to give an interview defending Trump's indefensible actions. Oh, and as a bonus, could it be a guy with the douchiest British accent imaginable?

Seriously, I defy you to listen to this segment without having to restrain yourself from punching the speakers.
http://www.npr.org/2017/01/31/512702666/white-house-adviser-defends-trump-executive-order-on-immigration

Haha holy poo poo I want to strangle people through the internet right now.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Stultus Maximus posted:

Imagine what they could do with more persuasive defenders.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/826564194304679936

In more positive news, Johnny Depp allegedly spent $3 million to blast Hunter S. Thompson's ashes out of a specially made cannon in Aspen.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/johnny-depp-hit-countersuit-by-business-managers-970719

I feel like this should be adapted into salute battery options for those who don't want a casket funeral with a tiny 21 gun salute.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 1, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So uh

When does the pivot happen?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I have so many aquaintances who seem like decent, well-rounded humans when you speak to them in person. Like, these are not stereotypical mid-west Republicans. These are people with good jobs, have many friends who are of different cultures and ethnicities, and some of them are even immigrants themselves. What ties them together is they all watch fox news, post breibart links on FB, and vote R and love Trump.

If you told these people that Trump signs an EO immediately deporting all immigrants who are brown in color, even those on legal visas. Show them the scenes on TV of families being torn apart, of lives ruined. These people would be ECSTATIC. They would say this is good for them, good for the country, and gently caress yea we're making America GREAT AGAIN.

This is why Democrats shouldn't waste time trying to "reach across the aisle" or "we need to listen to both sides". Because its impossible to do that when the other site WANTS Fascism and they want it NOW.

That's my dad to a T. My mom is first generation American citizen, grandpa moved here from the ME in the late 40's, and I have an aunt that was born in Syria! One of my brothers is gay!

My dad is loving thrilled about getting rid of Browns, lowering taxes, making gays go back in the closet, and and he really wants to let black folks know that they aren't welcome here, it's the weirdest set of beliefs.

Also he has been broke and worked lovely jobs his entire life, like the kind of jobs Mexicans don't even take, only methed up white dudes.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I would guess that this is in no small part the USMS not wanting to be "the guys arresting other federal LEOs/taking people from their custody by force."

E: Also not seeing confirmation anywhere else.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 1, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Robot Hobo posted:

The question in my mind is if Trump has actually picked one guy over the other yet, or if he's going to go on TV to count their Twitter followers and crown the winner of Apprentice: DC.

Edit:
Oh, and I guess there go the Unions?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/30/gop-introduces-national-right-to-work-legislation.html

This cracks me up because the people who are going to suffer the most are Trump's supporters.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Most of them live in right to work states already, so not as many as you think. :suicide101:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Hm. The Trump campaign already sent out a tweet asking for donations. I guess that must be for his 2020 run already, because I can't think of any other reason that would be legal. Mostly, I'm just surprised it took all of 10 days.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/826573399052914689

I was working at a printing company in California when Prop 8 was on the ballot. They printed donation flyers by the millions. Just pallets and pallets of mailers going out. It was a more complex/expensive job than some, since each one of those flyers was printed with custom info in addition to the addresses. The "recommended" donations were printed to match how much money the campaign thought they could get out of each donor, based on some calculations the campaign had done for each household.

The day after Prop 8 passed, another huge order came in from the same campaign. Same flyers, except they were a different color and now said "Prop 8 Legal Defense Fund." They didn't waste a moment before hitting all of those people up for money again.

Still, it warmed my heart a bit to see that some people got onto that mailing list for the right reasons. Luckily, it wasn't my job to clean that mailing list up before printing/mailing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

They don't have to reach all the way across the aisle. Just to the moderates who probably aren't white supremacists.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Godholio posted:

They don't have to reach all the way across the aisle. Just to the moderates who probably aren't white supremacists.

*points to every "How can we lead if we don't win reelection" scene in every political drama ever*

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

*points to every "How can we lead if we don't win reelection" scene in every political drama ever*

*grabs remote control*

*turns TV to CNN showing opinion poll of 45% of moderates supporting Trump's immigration ban*

I mean, if we want to win these moderates, we need to support this.

*blanket approves Trump's nominees, wonders why nobody shows up to vote*

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Godholio posted:

Unfortunately, they're both going to get primaried next year.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
So, there's going to be a taskforce on reforms for the United States Department of Education. Hey, how bad could that be?

Oh, the guy in charge is Jerry Faldwell Jr.

Jerry Jr. is a graduate of Liberty University, the Christian college his Father founded, and is now head of that same college. Their science program is very big on young-earth creationism.

http://www.chronicle.com/article/Jerry-Falwell-Jr-Says-He-Will/239062/

The task force will be there to help & guide Betsy DeVos, which I guess makes up for her not having any experience or willingness to be involved in public education. The article mentions that Jerry was offered the Secretary of Education post, but didn't want to have to leave home to do it. So my guess is that he's going to essentially be making all of the calls as the 'real' Secretary of Education, with Betsy is his stand-in. That way he can also continue to run his own University, which I'm sure won't be any kind of conflict of interest whatsoever.

Also...

“I’ve always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walked in. I just wanted to take this opportunity to encourage all of you to get your permit. We offer a free course. Let’s teach them a lesson if they ever show up here.”

Huh. He did later say that he only meant Muslim terrorists, but stood by the rest. Which I suppose means the idea of schools being gun-free zones is out the window.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 1, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/ukraine-fighting-flares-eastern-town-avdiivka-170131152755966.html

Fighting in Ukraine continues to heat up.

Suicide Watch posted:

Does Trump have stairs in his house?

No, he's not protected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

Hm. The Trump campaign already sent out a tweet asking for donations. I guess that must be for his 2020 run already, because I can't think of any other reason that would be legal. Mostly, I'm just surprised it took all of 10 days.

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/826573399052914689

yeah he filed for 2020 five hours after the inauguration

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/fecimg?_201701209041436569+0

• Locked thread