Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Sweet deal, thanks. I'll integrate Holland and move my capital there, then pick up Utrecht etc. as soon as an opportunity presents itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Another Castile Q: Since I can only have 3 promoted cultures right now should I demote Leonese/Andalusian and promote Dutch/Flemish since the former are already same culture group? Or should I just wait until ideas/tech give me more max promoted cultures?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Once you hit empire rank you'll get a cultural union with all the spanish cultures anyway, so I would focus on promoting the dutch cultures.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Traxis posted:

Another Castile Q: Since I can only have 3 promoted cultures right now should I demote Leonese/Andalusian and promote Dutch/Flemish since the former are already same culture group? Or should I just wait until ideas/tech give me more max promoted cultures?

If you have extra diplo points then it's probably worth it because those netherland provinces are juicy af. It's not some huge boost so don't set yourself back in the tech/idea race though.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Here's how I dealt with Dutch revolts in my Austria game:

Give them autonomy and ignore them.

When the event pops you have a choice of either spawning rebels or giving 100% local autonomy. According to the wiki (and my experience), spawning rebels sets global_flag for Dutch revolts to become active, giving local autonomy does not. If you make Dutch and Flemish accepted cultures, that increases the MTTH for the first Dutch revolt event, so you'll only end up granting autonomy to a couple of provinces during the 100 years Dutch revolt is possible.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Here's how I dealt with Dutch revolts in my Austria game:

Give them autonomy and ignore them.

When the event pops you have a choice of either spawning rebels or giving 100% local autonomy. According to the wiki (and my experience), spawning rebels sets global_flag for Dutch revolts to become active, giving local autonomy does not. If you make Dutch and Flemish accepted cultures, that increases the MTTH for the first Dutch revolt event, so you'll only end up granting autonomy to a couple of provinces during the 100 years Dutch revolt is possible.

The first time I had to deal with the Dutch revolts I just kept ~35k troops parked in the area to bash them down whenever they jumped up. If you're Spain + the dutch lands, or Austria...or...anyone that can inherit them, by 1550 you are probably strong enough to just smack them down again and again.

Moving your capital is just optimal in my opinion because I think the english channel is the best trade node and so you may as well just move the capital as well.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 31, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Camping out one or two big armies in the Low Countries means that you don't have too much to worry about from the rebels, but it limits your ability to project force elsewhere. As Burgundy or Austria that isn't so much of a problem, you can walk another army over there anytime without too much trouble if you need to, if you're trying to wrap up the whole Channel as England it's no difficulty to ship someone over (and you'll probably have your continental army based there anyway) but if you're Spain it can be very annoying to have thirty units tied up there when you want to be fighting France/North Africa + Ottos/Italians/whoever.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skasion posted:

Camping out one or two big armies in the Low Countries means that you don't have too much to worry about from the rebels, but it limits your ability to project force elsewhere. As Burgundy or Austria that isn't so much of a problem, you can walk another army over there anytime without too much trouble if you need to, if you're trying to wrap up the whole Channel as England it's no difficulty to ship someone over (and you'll probably have your continental army based there anyway) but if you're Spain it can be very annoying to have thirty units tied up there when you want to be fighting France/North Africa + Ottos/Italians/whoever.

fun historical fact: one of the major strategical aims of the Habsburg Spanish empire was to control the Valtelline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtellina) pass through the Alps, because it was a huge pain in the rear end to move armies around to all their disconnected possessions

the Valtelline allowed Spain to move troops from the Spanish Netherlands to their possessions in Italy, they spent a lot of effort fighting France to control it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

The real way to cut down on the spy network busy work is to not have the diplomat have to return home when discovered. They can still be dormant for three months or whatever, but why make me wait and then click just to put him back on the job he was already doing?

They're doing exactly this next version; check Johann's twitter.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So I am locking the cape down as ethiopia, 2 colonies there and no europeans in sight. I am far behind in institutions (seeding ethiopian highland provinces sucks and I didn't manage to get colonialism so I am at 55% tech penalty), I snaked down the coast and now border kilwa.

I also grabbed mokha and Aden from Yemen and will shortly get the mountain fort nearby from hejaz to get a proper foothold in Arabia, I am at the point where I could declare on the Mamluks already (the Ottomans still didn't attack them, it's 1505 or so) since we're at same army size and my Coptic friends makuria and medri bahri would love to help me kick their teeth in.

Should I do so or grab some kilwa land first?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Have you triggered the Pedro Covilha event chain yet? I think it triggers soon after you and Portugal discover each other. If you ask for aid against the Mamluks it gives a considerable buff to your morale and it's best to start your Alexandria push when that buff as active.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Elotana posted:

Have you triggered the Pedro Covilha event chain yet? I think it triggers soon after you and Portugal discover each other. If you ask for aid against the Mamluks it gives a considerable buff to your morale and it's best to start your Alexandria push when that buff as active.

Not yet, no. At this rate I will have the cape locked down before they get to meet me. Well I guess I will war hejaz and kilwa first, maybe finish eating ajuraan which is a three province landlocked minor now.

Having plenty of fun with this game, my starting God ruler lives well into his 70s and that allowed me to keep up in tech until now, also Armenia popped up and grabbed the third Holy site so I also have +2.5 discipline and I just steamrolled everyone. Let's hope the Ottomans are getting killed by someone, I still can barely see them

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Whoever said you probably aren't diplo-annexing much as Ethiopia isn't correct by the way. You should generally be expanding faster than you can really handle through direct annexation for the first hundred years at least. I usually vassalize Yemen and one of the nations on the Horn and feed them so that I can annex Egypt and Jerusalem directly early on while still expanding into the Arabian peninsula and down the East African coast.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
My Kaffa run was a failure. :negative:

I was one war from getting that stupid province and got tag-teamed by Russia and the Ottomans (and the Russian alliance network, which mostly served to hold my allies at bay) three times in a row.

Falling behind in military ideas really hurt. I was up there on tech but even a defense in depth couldn't best Russia and the Ottomans together and I had a seriously rough time winning actual battles enough to keep them from eventually sieging my forts down / mauling my manpower.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

China mechanic screen was shown in the stream. Historically the Ming Dynasty was referred to to as the HRE of the Orient.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really want to try a Ming game when the dlc hits my wallet like an unreasonable war demand. :toot:

I'm conquering so much land I don't have enough admin points to core it. Falling behind in admin tech and I'm drowning in military points. For some unknown reason I'm also really short on diplo points. Don't even ask about my states and territory situation.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So this is my Kongo in 1551:

I managed to get a colonial nation going in South America to seed myself Colonialism and I just paid through the nose to seed Printing Press. I just fought a bloody war with Malindi to take some of Kilwa's former lands and I am preparing to invade Benin, but Songhai looks scary. I have Exploration and Admin filled out and I think I will need to go for Economic next. I am the number 4 great power. I am currently annexing Makua and Buha; Butua is my other vassal. I am waiting to annex Butua because they have all of the goldmines and my economy would collapse because of inflation (its sitting at like 80% 8% right now from the one gold mine I took and all the inflation from taking cash in wars). I do not have a good feeling about the game and was thinking of starting over - what do you guys think?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 1, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Poil posted:

I really want to try a Ming game when the dlc hits my wallet like an unreasonable war demand. :toot:

I'm conquering so much land I don't have enough admin points to core it. Falling behind in admin tech and I'm drowning in military points. For some unknown reason I'm also really short on diplo points. Don't even ask about my states and territory situation.

TELL ME ABOUT YOUR STATES AND TERRITORY SITUATION

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jazerus posted:

Whoever said you probably aren't diplo-annexing much as Ethiopia isn't correct by the way. You should generally be expanding faster than you can really handle through direct annexation for the first hundred years at least. I usually vassalize Yemen and one of the nations on the Horn and feed them so that I can annex Egypt and Jerusalem directly early on while still expanding into the Arabian peninsula and down the East African coast.

Agreed, I always hold 2 or more vassals as Ethiopia. And forced vassalization has a ton of benefits, including the fact that separatist rebels won't be spawning in the force-vassalized territory

I like find a couple of weak countries that are allied to each other, get claims on any/all of them, and then declare everyone cobelligerent. Then annex whatever territory is appropriate and force-vassalize the furthest-away country. That far-away vassal is then a fabrication center for all of the surrounding territory, giving me all of the CBs that I could ever need for the surrounding region. Day-one I also Force Convert them so that they go through the trouble of converting territory for me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So this is my Kongo in 1551:

I managed to get a colonial nation going in South America to seed myself Colonialism and I just paid through the nose to seed Printing Press. I just fought a bloody war with Malindi to take some of Kilwa's former lands and I am preparing to invade Benin, but Songhai looks scary. I have Exploration and Admin filled out and I think I will need to go for Economic next. I am the number 4 great power. I am currently annexing Makua and Buha; Butua is my other vassal. I am waiting to annex Butua because they have all of the goldmines and my economy would collapse because of inflation (its sitting at like 80% right now from the one gold mine I took and all the inflation from taking cash in wars). I do not have a good feeling about the game and was thinking of starting over - what do you guys think?

That's a lot of inflation. I don't think that your situation is dire at all but you should probably think about buying it down; even with the -inflation adviser and economic ideas that would take forever to decrease on its own, and you're probably getting slammed with the bad events that come from having high inflation

I'm always in favor of restarting because I think the start of the game is the most interesting but you're still totally on track to get the achievement, I think

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if your 15 yeard old boy king rises to power and spawns a pretender king, you should get a power projection bonus for having the boy king lead an army against the rebels. it's cool flavor anyway

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QuarkJets posted:

That's a lot of inflation. I don't think that your situation is dire at all but you should probably think about buying it down; even with the -inflation adviser and economic ideas that would take forever to decrease on its own, and you're probably getting slammed with the bad events that come from having high inflation

I'm always in favor of restarting because I think the start of the game is the most interesting but you're still totally on track to get the achievement, I think
Oh heckums, I just realized I typo'd - the inflation is at 8.0%. As in eight percent. I dunno how I added a zero there - that would be insane and I would have quit long ago. I was going to try to secure some of the Ivory Coast then push hard to finish claiming Zanzibar and then spend some time taking some land in Indonesia so I could send more trade to Zanzibar.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh heckums, I just realized I typo'd - the inflation is at 8.0%. As in eight percent. I dunno how I added a zero there - that would be insane and I would have quit long ago. I was going to try to secure some of the Ivory Coast then push hard to finish claiming Zanzibar and then spend some time taking some land in Indonesia so I could send more trade to Zanzibar.

Oh it's just 8%? I think you're totally fine, then. Take economic ideas, get the inflation adviser (using the Burghers estate, ideally) and keep on truckin'

I think the bad inflation events occur at 5%+ inflation, so it's probably worth buying down to that level (and you do get a little bit more income as a result of buying it down, which is good)

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

TorakFade posted:

So I am locking the cape down as ethiopia, 2 colonies there and no europeans in sight. I am far behind in institutions (seeding ethiopian highland provinces sucks and I didn't manage to get colonialism so I am at 55% tech penalty), I snaked down the coast and now border kilwa.

I also grabbed mokha and Aden from Yemen and will shortly get the mountain fort nearby from hejaz to get a proper foothold in Arabia, I am at the point where I could declare on the Mamluks already (the Ottomans still didn't attack them, it's 1505 or so) since we're at same army size and my Coptic friends makuria and medri bahri would love to help me kick their teeth in.

Should I do so or grab some kilwa land first?

You cant get colonialism to spawn in your country if you have not embraced the renaissance

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

algebra testes posted:

Golly gosh it's the war to end all wars in the dev stream.

Also lol at the chat naming Jake "DDRJerk" or "Hard Jakexit"

The dev stream being in Asia is actually amazing and if they never played in Europe again I would watch it religiously. Europe is boring compared to the insane clusterfuck that India and China are in currently. Vijayanagar and Dai Viet have played their positions really well and it's fun to see the expansion and consolidation (or implosion in some cases)

Mantis42 posted:

China mechanic screen was shown in the stream. Historically the Ming Dynasty was referred to to as the HRE of the Orient.

I like how you can become the Emperor by just beating up the previous Emperor and taking the Mandate of Heaven. I wonder if there's a religion or culture requirement? Intuitively I'd guess that you have to be Eastern religion of some kind, or Tengri with a Eastern secondary religion.

Also Confucian has its own special mechanic "harmony" though they only showed it briefly, hopefully it's not just reskinned karma (which isn't very fun to deal with). Unless all the new poo poo is really broken or something this is shaping up to be a really good DLC.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 1, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

algebra testes posted:

Golly gosh it's the war to end all wars in the dev stream.

Also lol at the chat naming Jake "DDRJerk" or "Hard Jakexit"

Context for those who haven't been watching?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PittTheElder posted:

Context for those who haven't been watching?

His country imploded because he was redicuously stubborn (though technically his side won the war and probably would not have done if he had peaced out at a sane time)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

RabidWeasel posted:

His country imploded because he was redicuously stubborn (though technically his side won the war and probably would not have done if he had peaced out at a sane time)

Yeah but he extended the war so long that he lost between a third and a half of his dev to rebels, probably more than he would've lost in a peace deal, and Bengal lost a good third of its land too. The pyrrhic victory to end all pyrrhic victories

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I don't tend to watch too many of the dev streams but this game is amazing. India is just constant total war all the time. The AI Ming actually put up a pretty good fight when it was invaded on all 3 sides by different players but has collapsed. With Dai Viet, Qing + Korea and Japan all trying to get their fill of the remains, it looks like a thunderdome to dwarf the one in India is going to get underway soon.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Tsyni posted:

1550. I'd just move your capital to lowlands and see if it works. It has for me in the past definitely, but i can't remember if I've done it on this patch. Just remember the lowlands is a specific area.

A page ago, but I did this in my Austria game and there were no revolts.

Speaking of, it's 1643 and I'm about to start chipping away at the Ottomans, so this run is winding down. I enjoyed doing PUs and diplomacy fuckery, any new country suggestions? I also want a build tall run that can earn an achievement other than the mega city one.

Chump Farts fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 1, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also devastation allows you really ruin a region, 30 Years War style.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

algebra testes posted:

Also devastation allows you really ruin a region, 30 Years War style.

Oh man I forgot about that, here's the bit in the vod about 2/3 the way through the war where they show the devastation mapmode and :lol:

(I think Johan said yellow means it's not increasing and red means it is, with the specific darkness level indicating the current level, but even if I've got it the wrong way round... yikes)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's considered the best Native Policy these days?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

I just go for the +settlers one and either park a few units of infantry on them or genocide them. There's no real point in keeping the natives around.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

Most of the time I consider native repression policy to be the best. If you want to expand quickly then it's the clear choice.

edit: in a perfect world where you didn't have to worry about time to colonize for some reason, the middle option would be best because it will increase goods produced by the colonies when they become an actual colony and that will make you richer. If you're colonizing dozens and dozens of provinces it can add up, but yeah, go for the plus colonist idea.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 1, 2017

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

The "live and let live" one because oh my god do I not have the patience to run a colonial garrison

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

The "live and let live" one because oh my god do I not have the patience to run a colonial garrison

this is what I do, I dont want to keep a group of cogs for each garrison. too lazy

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

this is what I do, I dont want to keep a group of cogs for each garrison. too lazy

Same here.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

If I'm a European coloniser, this because even if it's suboptimal, gently caress micromanaging a colonial empire and dealing with constant rebels. If I'm in Africa or playing Russia and using colonists to expand my borders then suppression because my army will be nearby anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
At 1500 two european units can hold down almost any colony. There are some 8000 super aggressive ones in Africa that might need another unit if your military isn't buff. You need two cogs per general area, like...North America, South America, Africa, and 2 units per colony. It's very low maintenance imo, and +20 per year adds up if you want that colonial juice.

• Locked thread