Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

1gnoirents posted:

That would be neat as hell. Should release a line of Xxxxtreme overclocking IHS waterblocks. They xould charge whatever they wanted too

http://www.pcgamer.com/researchers-have-moved-liquid-cooling-directly-onto-the-chip/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Somebody tell me to be good, I just found a server rack that could pass for furniture.

http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/products.php?model=WRT-945

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Somebody tell me to be good, I just found a server rack that could pass for furniture.

Isn't an ottoman or kitchen island, no buy.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No you go the other way.

https://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Jokes? We got 'em:

quote:

Assembly

For assembly in terms of a programming language, this is not the page you need.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RyuHimora posted:

That'd consume, what, 1000 watts? What's the next step beyond liquid nitrogen cooling? I have a feeling a 240nm Naples core would need that.

You'd end up downclocking it to like 600-800 Mhz in order to get it under the 135W power limit.

Also, I rechecked the ITAR website, and yep, CPU manufacturing technologies, microcode, firmware, and related systems, articles, and methods of fabrication are restricted and subject to export rules. So open sourcing it would be a big big no-no.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FaustianQ posted:

Isn't an ottoman or kitchen island, no buy.

That's a perfectly serviceable automan - it'll even keep your feet warm!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mommy, why is there a rackserver in the ottoman?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I was expecting something like the built in bench on Cray supercomputers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-processor-6-core-model-700-usd-rumor/

I want to claim that this is everything I've been saying all along, but this is like... first polling results, now we wait for the final tally.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

PerrineClostermann posted:

The really weird thing with ME is, as it was described at a talk at either Defcon or C3, it's basically a completely self-contained microcontroller that has direct access to the hardware the CPU runs on. Great for management, but also great for :tinfoil: And if you try to cripple it, apparently the CPU will shutdown/freeze/stop functioning after 20 minutes or so.

Actually, some people have figured out how to nuke it and also trick it into thinking it's still there. Confirmed working for Sandy/Ivy Bridge, I haven't checked back since but I'm sure other people have tried it with newer processors.

:tinfoil: all the way down

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

In-chip water cooling.

There was an official AMD slide intended for internal release showing exactly this leaked a dozen pages or so. It is legit as far as anyone can tell and I'm surprised that nobody has picked it up.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In-chip water cooling.

Whatever happened to that immersion cooling intel was working on?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

In-chip water cooling.

ItBurns posted:

AMD... internal... leaked

:rubshands:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-details-features/

Motherboard poo poo.

X370 now missing from "Relative Product Positioning Matrix" slide.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-processor-6-core-model-700-usd-rumor/

I want to claim that this is everything I've been saying all along, but this is like... first polling results, now we wait for the final tally.

Welp, if this is true, and there are no 6-core models planned, looks like I'm going Intel this gen. Maybe next time, AMD.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Welp, if this is true, and there are no 6-core models planned, looks like I'm going Intel this gen. Maybe next time, AMD.

Can't you get 8 AMD cores for the price of 6 Intel cores? For gaming it's not a huge deal, but for media/video stuff it seems like a big one for sure.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

IanTheM posted:

Can't you get 8 AMD cores for the price of 6 Intel cores? For gaming it's not a huge deal, but for media/video stuff it seems like a big one for sure.

$700 is out of my CPU price range, though. And I'm not planning to use it for much other than gaming; it just seemed like with DX12 and Vulkan liable to pick up steam in the coming years, a 6-core CPU would be decent future-proofing (I know, I know). I was hoping for a 6-core part that would fall between $300 and $400.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

IanTheM posted:

I'd hoped they would be targeting current 4core users as well with something compelling. If that's really possible, though.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Their mid range 8C/8T would probably fit in this range based on the graph? I don't do much media processing, so I don't know how in theory that would stack up against 6C/12T, though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-motherboard-details-features/

Motherboard poo poo.

X370 now missing from "Relative Product Positioning Matrix" slide.
that's an old slide from months ago actually

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

In-chip water cooling.

I think this is an old idea. I found a paper from 1981 where, using the same/similar micro-fabrication technology that they use to make the transistors and wires on the chips, the authors of the paper etched numerous micro-fins on the back of a chip and ran cold water over them to cool the chip. They were able to achieve a 71 degrees C temperature rise at 781 W/cm^2 chip power density.

I'm not really a computer chip cooling enthusiast, so I'm not sure if that 71 C at 781 W/cm^2 number is impressive or not. It's obviously not that practical.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 1, 2017

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

NewFatMike posted:

Their mid range 8C/8T would probably fit in this range based on the graph? I don't do much media processing, so I don't know how in theory that would stack up against 6C/12T, though.

Good point. That'll teach me to skim articles. :v: Guess I'm still waiting on a price.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

(...) it just seemed like with DX12 and Vulkan liable to pick up steam in the coming years, a 6-core CPU would be decent future-proofing (I know, I know)...

I'm not sure this particular dragon is worth chasing at all. DX12 will come but at this pace we'll probably be at DX13 or 14 before many cores are worth anything. And Vulkan, well, I don't know. I doubt anything will ever come of it.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

silence_kit posted:

I think this is an old idea. I found a paper from 1981 where, using the same/similar micro-fabrication technology that they use to make the transistors and wires on the chips, the authors of the paper etched numerous micro-fins on the back of a chip and ran cold water over them to cool the chip. They were able to achieve a 71 degrees C temperature rise at 781 W/cm^2 chip power density.

I'm not really a computer chip cooling enthusiast, so I'm not sure if that 71 C at 781 W/cm^2 number is impressive or not. It's obviously not that practical.

A current gen Xeon is about 6.2 cm^2, so in theory that would be a single chunk of silicon with about 4.8Kw of power flowing through it. The interior wall of a nuclear reactor vessel is about 240ish, and a rocket nozzle would be about 850-900 W/cm^2.

You'd need some really complex and novel form of thermal management to make sure that the microfluidics are behaving properly, and that pump flow and head pressure are maintained. It would suck to have a small clog block off part of the chip and have it cook to death before the thermal conductivity is able to alert the thermistor that the chip has caught fire.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I'm not sure this particular dragon is worth chasing at all. DX12 will come but at this pace we'll probably be at DX13 or 14 before many cores are worth anything. And Vulkan, well, I don't know. I doubt anything will ever come of it.

What exactly would newer iterations of DirectX even offer over DX12?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FaustianQ posted:

Even worse unoptimized games?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3163500/components/amd-confirms-its-ryzen-cpu-will-launch-in-early-march-followed-by-the-vega-gpu.html

A date range:

quote:

AMD’s eagerly-awaited Ryzen processor will launch in early March, according to AMD chief executive Lisa Su. Su specified the target date during the company’s fourth-quarter earnings call Tuesday afternoon.

“There will be widespread system availability from day one,” Su said during the call. Channel vendors will receive the first Ryzen chips, along with system integrators. More traditional hardware vendors will come later, Su added.

:salt::

quote:

Su’s comments seemingly back up what a Game Developers Conference presentation revealed earlier: that Ryzen would launch before March 3. (Su didn’t specifically confirm our report sourced from the GDC document, however.) Su also revealed that its Zen-based server product, Naples, will launch in the second quarter.

Vega being Q2 translates to "basically, June"

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
http://imgur.com/gallery/qheFr

AM4 mobo slides featuring :rice: leds.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FaustianQ posted:

I'm hoping they'll push for more core use the further along we go.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

~~earnings stuff~~

It's interesting to see hype and news stories turn into figures. It'll be extremely interesting to see how the figures are in December with Vega and Ryzen released. Overall, AMD is doing much better than 2015. Their losses are way way down. Fingers crossed for profitability in the near-ish future.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Boiled Water posted:

I'm hoping they'll push for more core use the further along we go.

That's mainly up to how the engine utilizes DirectX, not DirectX itself.

Barring some dramatic change in how GPU architecture works (perhaps a shift from rasterization to dedicated raytracing hardware) it's hard to imagine them ever needing a DX13. Minor new features can just be bolted onto DX12, like they're doing with Shader Model 6.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
They're already doing that with the feature levels, are there even any GPUs right now that support the full DX12 spec?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

repiv posted:

That's mainly up to how the engine utilizes DirectX, not DirectX itself.

Barring some dramatic change in how GPU architecture works (perhaps a shift from rasterization to dedicated raytracing hardware) it's hard to imagine them ever needing a DX13. Minor new features can just be bolted onto DX12, like they're doing with Shader Model 6.

Yes this is what I thought. DX12 and Vulkan are already as low as you can go, so really only iterative improvement's to the current APIs make any sense to me. DX11 and OpenGL still have a use and I'd expect stuff from the newer APIs to filter down to them.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Arzachel posted:

They're already doing that with the feature levels, are there even any GPUs right now that support the full DX12 spec?

Funnily enough Skylake and Kaby Lake are the only GPUs with 100% DX12 feature compatibility at the moment. Maxwell2 and Pascal meet the criteria for the highest feature level (12_1) but that doesn't require every feature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Arzachel posted:

quote:

since 1989 ASUS has shipped over 500,000 million motherboards

So, five hundred billion? They’ve shipped seventy motherboards for every man, woman, and child on the planet?

I find that hard to believe.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Arzachel posted:

I think that is a kinda cool if useless feature, just sucks that it will most likely only end up on the really expensive gamer boards. Some of that poo poo just seems kinda stupid, like reinforced PCI-E slots, is that really a problem?? Or the push button selectable CPU speeds. . . I thought Windows already did that automatically.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AMD's Upcoming Ryzen Line-up Could Feature 6-Core Chips After All

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Platystemon posted:

So, five hundred billion? They’ve shipped seventy motherboards for every man, woman, and child on the planet?

I find that hard to believe.

Remember that server farms exist, people often own multiple personal computing devices, and businesses frequently have more computers than employees, and due to usage business computers often need new parts more often than personal devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Remember that server farms exist, people often own multiple personal computing devices, and businesses frequently have more computers than employees, and due to usage business computers often need new parts more often than personal devices.

Windows XP sold a billion copies.

There are a few factors working for ASUS here—ASUS sold motherboards for longer than Microsoft sold XP, Windows licenses are transferable in some cases, not all computers run Windows, it is not possible to pirate a physical product—but there’s no way they did five hundred times as much business. They’re not even the world’s only manufacturer of motherboards.

Someone put too many zeroes in the number.

e: They celebrated 500 million sales in 2015.. They Didn’t sell 69.93 motherboards for every man, woman, and child on the planet in two years. Someone copied that figure but forgot how numbers work.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 2, 2017

• Locked thread