Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok so every darn mod won't stop talking about .ini files, and there are no such files in my fallout 4 folder. What gives?

E: I'm dumb, the extension just wasn't displaying.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

EricFate posted:

I always felt it was best to set her chair at the top of a three story platform, and then surround it with metal walls before taking away the ladders. Preferably in the corner of the city where nobody ever travels.

3 stories? Build to the top of the buildable area and put her chair on a single square platform.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I need help with my load order. Everything was going fine until I rescued Preston and Co, and then I realized a few strange things. First off, while I could build in Sanctuary and the resources and happiness were working perfectly, it wasn't showing up in my Pip-Boy as a settlement. On the other hand, Oberland Station and Tenpines Bluff were, even though I hadn't visited them yet. Secondly, Preston was not giving me any quests. Third, the radio beacon was not attracting new settlers, I couldn't send provisioners to it, and whenever I dismissed a companion Sanctuary wasn't on the list of places to send them. So as it stands, my big badass overhauled Sanctuary is populated entirely by Codsworth, the Longs, Sturgis, and Mama Murphy.

I am on PS4 (I know, it sucks)

Here is my load order: posted:

AWKCR
SimpleGreen/SimpleSeasons
Unlocked Settlement Objects
FreeFall 4 Fixes and Additions

All the Unlocked Settlement Object DLC patches
Extra Stores with Resources

Manufacturing Overhaul
Settler Sandbox Expansion
Full Flavored

Eyes Expanded
Gunner Blood Type Tattoos

Sanctuary Overhaul
Red Rocket Overhaul
Abernathy Farms Overhaul --- All by Undernier

Enhanced Prydwen Overhaul

Underground Railroad
Lexington Interiors
Subway Runner
Beantown Interiors
Stumbleupon Interiors
Plenty O Exploration

Finch Farm & Greygarden Overpass Lifts
Functional Bridges

Goldsmith

Stronger Dogmeat
Faster Positive Companion Affinity

More Map Markers

NPCs Travel
Buffed Minuteman Militia 2
Better Synth Relay Grenades with Squads
Gunner Overhaul (Season Pass)
Zombie Walkers
Dogs Not Brahmin
Additional Spawns

SimpleGreen/Yellow/Red/White (Only using one at a time as recommended, changing with the ingame season)
SimpleGreen/Yellow/Red Far Harbor
SimpleGreen/Yellow/Red Grass Reduction Patch

Vanilla Moon 4x

Weather Redux
Weather Redux - Night Vision
Water Redux
Interiors Redux
Reverb and Ambience Overhaul

Pipboy spotlight
Togglable Targeting HUD
Eye-See Vision Enhancements

Wacky Weapons Workshop (All DLC)

Legendary Effects
-Far Harbor Patch
-Nuka World Patch

Wasteland Baubles Ring Overhaul
Wasteland Addict
Simple Camping

Insignificant Object Remover
Scrap That Settlement
Settlement Build Budget x10

Realistic Death Physics - No Death Animation - ALL DLC

Immersive Gameplay
Immersive Gameplay - Season Pass
Immersive Gameplay Easy Patch
Tackle! Immersive Gameplay Knockdown Version

Unlocked Ballistic Weave
All the varios UCO patches

Nytra's Performance Overhaul

Please help

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I wonder if I should just uninstall AWKCR cause I can't think of anything else that would be causing my game to spawn Diamond City guards without pants.

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hey everyone time for my weekly Nexus mod round up! here is some stuff!

Fine Art of the Commonwealth adds twenty new 18th century oil paintings to be hung in your settlement to the game.

The Cricket Bat adds the infamous British Commonwealth torture device known as a cricket bat as a melee weapon to the game.

Proper Flyer and Posters of the Commonwealth is a texture replacement for all the faded random pre-war fliers and posters littered around the landscape.

Lore Friendly Backpacks adds a selection of small, medium and large backpacks that can be bought or looted from NPC based on existing in game models.

1st to 3rd Person Reload bug fix apparently this is a recent problem for those who switch between views whilst in combat.

The Iron Giant Liberty Prime replacer replaces Liberty Prime with another famous fictional robot.

More Lunchbox Drops expands the selection of free random items that you get inside the many unopened Vault Tech lunchbox littering the Commonwealth. No more Pencils!

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

horse mans posted:

Is there a mod that expands settlement size as safely and surgically as possible? The anemic size of Jamaica Plain is killing me, but it looks like mods that alter settlements tend to have several issues:

1. A bug where power armor which has been customized is reset to its original configuration upon leaving a cell and coming back after X amount of time*
2. A bug where the contents of settlement cells will be completely reset, i.e. removing all of the player's constructed items**
3. Settlement boundaries being no longer visible
4. An inflated size due to having to modify some value on every scrappable item which is in the expanded settlement construction area***

There seem to be mods related to 1 and 2 (Buildable Power Armor Frames and Cell Reset Workaround Patch). I don't have either of them installed, and I may just add them now so that I don't have to worry about things like this in the future, but this seems like an insane amount of trouble to go through just to have a slightly larger build area.

* which seems to then launch into a discussion of how to distinguish between "safe" and "unsafe" power armor, as well as mods to fix that
** it's unclear to me if 1 and 2 are both what's called the cell reset bug or if that term just applies to one or the other
*** which I'm not even sure if that will work with mods that change the "end products" list of scrappable objects (e.g. Horizon modifies cars to return a whole bunch of rubber, steel, packing material, and etc. versus the vanilla, which iirc only gives you 10-20 steel)

EDIT: Additionally, the bUseCombinedObjects setting under [General] in fallout4.init seems relevant too, but it's not clear to me what it does or what the implications of toggling it are. It seems the default is 1, and 0 is what people recommend setting it to to scrap objects within expanded settlement borders, but it also seems to cause a non-trivial performance hit.

I thought the cell reset bug had been fixed? I got a mod that fixed the roof on Taffington Boathouse and Somerville Place, and the power armor I left at the Boathouse seems fine.

Also, I just use the weapon store trick to increase settlement budget. It's annoying to repeat, but I don't have to worry about a mod screwing up my settlements.

(Drop a bunch of weapons on the floor, enter Workshop mode and store them. Game thinks you're removing furniture and your 'spent' settlement budget will decrease accordingly. Infinitely repeatable)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lurdiak posted:

I already got her off drugs, so now she only has one line of dialogue and it triggers whenever I'm within 100 feet of her.

Just build a staircase up to a platform as high up in the sky as you can build, put her chair up there, wait til she sits in it, then remove the stairs. Problem solved.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Entropic posted:

Just build a staircase up to a platform as high up in the sky as you can build, put her chair up there, wait til she sits in it, then remove the stairs. Problem solved.

I think next time, I'll build a platform on the river and strand her there an elderly Eskimo on an ice floe.

Alternatively, never visit Concord. Let the Minutemen stay trapped in that building forever.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I bet if you show up in full X01 with a railgun they still tell you their amazing plan to get the power armor and the minigun on the roof.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Entropic posted:

I bet if you show up in full X01 with a railgun they still tell you their amazing plan to get the power armor and the minigun on the roof.

According to the Fallout wikia, Sturges has special dialog that acknowledges if you show up in power armor and/or with a minigun.
Bethesda did a lot wrong with Fallout 4, but there's still some real neat touches hidden around. I remember finding a diner with a Master lock in the back, grinding a bit to get the perk to open it, and returning. Inside, you find a skeleton and a note that says he's something like "well, looks like I'm gonna die by refilling the snowcone machine" and literally nothing else.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Liberty Prime is in FO4?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Zakmonster posted:

I thought the cell reset bug had been fixed? I got a mod that fixed the roof on Taffington Boathouse and Somerville Place, and the power armor I left at the Boathouse seems fine.

Also, I just use the weapon store trick to increase settlement budget. It's annoying to repeat, but I don't have to worry about a mod screwing up my settlements.

(Drop a bunch of weapons on the floor, enter Workshop mode and store them. Game thinks you're removing furniture and your 'spent' settlement budget will decrease accordingly. Infinitely repeatable)

I'm not trying to increase the settlement budget. I'm trying to increase the size of the perimeter of the settlement.

The mod I finally settled upon is Bigger Settlements, alongside Hangman's Alley Interior Apartments, since Bigger Settlements doesn't change Hangman's Alley. It works well, although I did hit my first crash in hundreds of hours of playing. I suspect this is because I originally had the Hangman's Alley Patch to fix navmeshing and building issues, and I removed this in favor of Interior Apartments.

Some more notes after some testing:

- It's entirely possible for a mod to change the perimeter of the settlement without changing the actual green/red "border wall" that surrounds the buildable area. Bigger Settlements adds its own magenta wall around the new perimeters, which is really quite useful.
- I added Spring Cleaning and its compatibility patch. The patch ensures that the scrappable objects outside the vanilla build area includes items added by mods, not just the vanilla recipes list.
- Despite all this, there's still a ton of things that can't be scrapped in my settlement of choice, Jamaica Plain. The most disappointing part is the pews in the church, which I wanted to tear out and replace with a market. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Feel free to add this to the OP or whatever for other people so they don't have to go down the same rabbit hole.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I tried installing Macho Mutants because it sounds like the best solution to the obnoxious Super Mutant voice acting ever, but Mod Organizer 2 is having some trouble with it.

Every sub category is just full of these:

So I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to make it read right. Any advice?

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Lurdiak posted:

I tried installing Macho Mutants because it sounds like the best solution to the obnoxious Super Mutant voice acting ever, but Mod Organizer 2 is having some trouble with it.

From that mod's description:
"To download this mod go to your data folder and create a folder called Sound and inside that folder create a folder
called Voice and then inside there create a folder called Fallout4.esm after that"

So just create a file structure of \Sound\Voice\Fallout4.esm\ in the mod and drag those folders into it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

potaties posted:

From that mod's description:
"To download this mod go to your data folder and create a folder called Sound and inside that folder create a folder
called Voice and then inside there create a folder called Fallout4.esm after that"

So just create a file structure of \Sound\Voice\Fallout4.esm\ in the mod and drag those folders into it.

That worked, thanks a lot!

So I've run into the still-unfixed bug where the concussion debuff never goes away, which means I'm at (-)1 perception permanently. The suggested in-game workaround has so far been fruitless, and there doesn't seem to be a console command to remove debuffs, so is there a mod I can use? I'd really rather not go through the rest of my game blind.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm looking for a mod that lessens the necessity of settlement building and possibly plants pre-built settlements throughout the world where empty plots would be so I can just focus on playing the game instead of effectively rebuilding the world's economy, agriculture, and amount of shops with the terrible interface.

Because as it is, the world feels unbearably devoid of shops and populated settlements... much less so than in FO3 or NV.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Deakul posted:

Because as it is, the world feels unbearably devoid of shops and populated settlements... much less so than in FO3 or NV.

I don't think the problem is so much the lack of shops as it is meaningful shops. With the Legendary Item mechanic so easy and abundant in the wild, there's nothing you can get from a shop that you can't get in the field. I think the only time items you would ever want to actually buy in FO4 are the Overseer's Guardian and Spray n' Pray, right? And even they aren't unique, it's just convenient being able to reliably get them from a shop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey everyone time for my weekly Nexus mod round up! here is some stuff!

Fine Art of the Commonwealth adds twenty new 18th century oil paintings to be hung in your settlement to the game.

The Cricket Bat adds the infamous British Commonwealth torture device known as a cricket bat as a melee weapon to the game.

Proper Flyer and Posters of the Commonwealth is a texture replacement for all the faded random pre-war fliers and posters littered around the landscape.

Lore Friendly Backpacks adds a selection of small, medium and large backpacks that can be bought or looted from NPC based on existing in game models.

1st to 3rd Person Reload bug fix apparently this is a recent problem for those who switch between views whilst in combat.

The Iron Giant Liberty Prime replacer replaces Liberty Prime with another famous fictional robot.

More Lunchbox Drops expands the selection of free random items that you get inside the many unopened Vault Tech lunchbox littering the Commonwealth. No more Pencils!

Those are all well and good, but I'm really surprised to not see Combat Zone Restored in there. For all the (deserved) griping about cut content and missed opportunities in the game, this seems ideal. The mod seems to more or less bring the Combat Zone back to being what it was originally intended to be.

horse mans posted:

EDIT: Additionally, the bUseCombinedObjects setting under [General] in fallout4.init seems relevant too, but it's not clear to me what it does or what the implications of toggling it are. It seems the default is 1, and 0 is what people recommend setting it to to scrap objects within expanded settlement borders, but it also seems to cause a non-trivial performance hit.

I didn't see anyone cover this, so I'll explain it:
In most games each individual mesh is its own object, which has been true in past Bethesda games as well. You can turn those objects on or off easily in the level editors and in game with the console. Fallout 4, however, uses combined objects for most things in the world, which is pretty much what it sounds like- you take several different static mesh objects and combine them into one. That's why you can't scrap most things outside of settlements even if you expand the settlement boundaries, because the objects that are placed which still look and act like discreet individual objects are combined into one entity as far as the game is concerned. This was done, as you say, for performance-related reasons. Setting combined objects to 1 means true, 0 is false. So turning off object combining will let you scrap individual items in areas that aren't normally part of settlements, but at a significant framerate loss.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I posted the combat zone one back in december in a previous post.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Are there any cool settlement mods that add a settlement downtown?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I posted the combat zone one back in december in a previous post.

Might be a different one? This one came out on Jan 22nd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is there a mod that makes the DLC for this game not war-criminally overpriced? :v:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Is there a mod that makes the DLC for this game not war-criminally overpriced? :v:

I think the Steam Sale mod does that, but the mod author keeps tearing it down and putting it back up every few months. I think he might have rage issues or something.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Is there something that adds tactical gear like Modern Firearms has? I love that stuff but don't want the... uhh... modern firearms that the mod adds. Actually my main beef is the frequency that the guns appear and the custom calibers added.

C.U.T.E. looks like it would work if it wasn't currently female only.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 25, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

-Give Dogmeat a skin that's more like the mutt he's always been based on instead of looking like some super-heatlhy show dog

Well this just popped up on Nexus, Dogmeat Skins basically lets you drop one of these in his inventory and he 'wears' them and changes the character model to the ones shown. Now your dog immersion problem is forever cured.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Okay now where's my D-Dog skin?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Lurdiak posted:

Normally what you're supposed to do here is right-click that <data> post and click "set data directory", but I tested it and MO2 just doesn't seem to like this particular mod.

Lurdiak posted:

That worked, thanks a lot!

So I've run into the still-unfixed bug where the concussion debuff never goes away, which means I'm at (-)1 perception permanently. The suggested in-game workaround has so far been fruitless, and there doesn't seem to be a console command to remove debuffs, so is there a mod I can use? I'd really rather not go through the rest of my game blind.

Normally there's player.removespell [formID], but unlike chems, addiction and such the limb damage effects don't seem to be implemented as "spells" applied to your character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Terrorforge posted:

Normally there's player.removespell [formID], but unlike chems, addiction and such the limb damage effects don't seem to be implemented as "spells" applied to your character.

I "fixed" it by just giving myself as much perception as the debuff made me lose using modav.

Speaking of console commands, what's the proper grammar for moving an npc to you? I'm trying to use [refID.moveto player] but it's being difficult.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Lurdiak posted:

I "fixed" it by just giving myself as much perception as the debuff made me lose using modav.

Speaking of console commands, what's the proper grammar for moving an npc to you? I'm trying to use [refID.moveto player] but it's being difficult.

I believe the solution is to "set" your target using the prid (Pick Reference ID) command. I have a "mod" (really just some batch files: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1096/) that lets me summon companions via simplified console commands, and the files have this structure:

code:
prid 00050976
moveto player

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

She, and thanks for the feedback! You'll be happy to know that I'm actually vaguely planning on resuming work on WBO at some point, since I now have my new fancy shiny laptop with a 3K screen and a 1070 to play with.

Hey, I dunno if you're still doing this, but I was just going to point out that you might want to drop the Functional Displays patch. It no longer edits the weapons.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
So this thread has a very nice OP with links to lots of good plugins/mods for Fallout 4. What about... Fallout 3? I shitposted all over the game in the thread when it was new, and even got probated for it, but now I'd like to actually play it! Looking at Nexus, its pretty obvious what is necessary when looking at most endorsed, but I'm wondering what else people recommend. Right now I have ArchiveInvalidated Invalidated, Felout, Unofficial Patch, Texture Pack, Wanderers Edition, and young_gay_hentai_dad_mutant_reskin.esp.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well, when it comes to Fallout 3 mods, I recommend you install "A different game".

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I''ve considered trying out Tale of Two Wastelands, which lets you play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine, but I feel like I would level up too fast and burn out on the game before I finished everything in 3 and NV

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I''ve considered trying out Tale of Two Wastelands, which lets you play Fallout 3 in the New Vegas engine, but I feel like I would level up too fast and burn out on the game before I finished everything in 3 and NV

How does that mod handle perks? New Vegas' difficulty curve is pretty clearly designed around only giving you so many of them, while Fallout 3 (and 4) just hand them out every single time you level up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lurdiak posted:

Well, when it comes to Fallout 3 mods, I recommend you install "A different game".

That's pretty much what I said a few times back in 2008, and I got probated for it! Be careful now!

Is FO4 that much better?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Is FO4 that much better?

Yes. Both games have dumb plots not worth paying attention to, but FO4 has superior gunplay and is a lot more interesting to explore.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yes. Both games have dumb plots not worth paying attention to, but FO4 has superior gunplay and is a lot more interesting to explore.

It could use more Enclave.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I actually enjoyed exploring the capital wasteland more but YMMV.

I have no idea how they'd stack up I haven't touched that games in years, honestly it's probably better. FO4 feels like they spent their entire budget on getting the settler system and then they had to release. It's not bad by any stretch but the game lacks character.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lurdiak posted:

How does that mod handle perks? New Vegas' difficulty curve is pretty clearly designed around only giving you so many of them, while Fallout 3 (and 4) just hand them out every single time you level up.

I'm pretty sure it's compatible with Project Nevada, which has a built in feature to let you change when you earn perks and how fast you gain experience.

I go with one perk each level, but I balance it out by halving experience gain and making headshots extremely lethal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Node posted:

That's pretty much what I said a few times back in 2008, and I got probated for it! Be careful now!

Is FO4 that much better?

Fallout3 is one of my favourites!!!!! INCOMING PROBATION!!!

Seriously though, I love the radio more in Fallout3, I like the greenish tinge more than New Vegas' orange tinge, plus it was my first Fallout game so it has a truly special place in my heart. If people don't like it, that is absolutely fine. I am an outlier.

Some mods I have to use when I play it are:

GNR More Where That Came From - expands the galaxy news radio station considerably.
MMM - Marts Mutant Mod which adds tons and tons of variety to all the different wasteland monsters.
AWOP - A World of Pain - adds TONS of extra areas to the game, including an underground series of places almost as big as the Capital Wasteland.
EVE - Energy Weapons redone, makes them look and sound far cooler.
Level Uncap - because of how much extra stuff I add.

I'm sure there's more but I'd have to be at home to look at my mod list.