Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

The first part doesn't matter in terms of legal power here. They advised the president that the answer was no and then refused to consent. Textbook.

They actually didn't give Garland a down vote, so they never answered no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The answer is already no until they vote otherwise. Stop flailing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
so for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth it's realistically pretty much 100% certain that whoever is nominated will get confirmed, right

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

McConnell is more likely to murder RGB on the steps of the Capitol building during a press conference than he is to nominate a moderate to the SCOTUS.

Yeah, a lot of people would have to die for him to become president.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

DeusExMachinima posted:

You really need to get over yourself mate. There is no illegitimate way laid out in the law for the Senate to not consent or consider a nominee. The majority didn't consent and that was it.

No, one person refused consent. The head of the Judiciary committee refused to bring the nomination to the Senate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Levitate posted:

so for all the wailing and gnashing of teeth it's realistically pretty much 100% certain that whoever is nominated will get confirmed, right

Yes. There's nothing that can stop Trump's nominee from being confirmed because you'd have to get GOP senators to flip and good luck with that.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

duz posted:

No, one person refused consent. The head of the Judiciary committee refused to bring the nomination to the Senate.
And the Senate created their own rules such that the head of the Judiciary Committee doesn't need to bring the nomination to the Senate. Like I agree that it's bad for the Senate to not vote on this stuff, but it's clearly within their power.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Levitate posted:

Yes he will get confirmed but hopefully it's only after McConnell has to nuke the filibuster.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

twodot posted:

And the Senate created their own rules such that the head of the Judiciary Committee doesn't need to bring the nomination to the Senate. Like I agree that it's bad for the Senate to not vote on this stuff, but it's clearly within their power.

Well, it's also within the power of the Democrats to filibuster, at least for now. "They had the power to say no" is a trivializing the argument because if we're arguing power politics and nothing else there's never any reason to say yes to the other side.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well, it's also within the power of the Democrats to filibuster, at least for now. "They had the power to say no" is a trivializing the argument because if we're arguing power politics and nothing else there's never any reason to say yes to the other side.
Huh? Bottling something up in committee or exercising a filibuster isn't power politics, that's just Senators using the rules of the Senate as intended. If the Senate wanted different rules, they could write them differently (and most likely will). Maybe they're parliamentary tricks, maybe they're bad, but the rules are really clear regarding these matters.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

twodot posted:

I'm not agreeing with the guy that said it was illegitimate, I'm disagreeing with the guy that said the majority said no. One guy said no, no one else was asked (because a majority would most likely say yes).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's good, just, or legitimate. Thank you you for your time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rygar201 posted:

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean it's good, just, or legitimate. Thank you you for your time

Trump's presidency for example.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Well, Gorsuch it is

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
So how hosed are we with this Neil guy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

gohmak posted:

So how hosed are we with this Neil guy?

He's Scalia without the blatant racist. He's a horror.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

mcmagic posted:

I've no doubts about this statement because this admin doesn't pick good people, but what are the particulars of this horror we now face?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zxqv8 posted:

I've no doubts about this statement because this admin doesn't pick good people, but what are the particulars of this horror we now face?

Well he's at least 95% Scalia so thats horror enough

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The really hosed up thing will be when Thomas resigns and Trump replaces him with some 50-year-old.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Today is where all the republicans who ignored Trump's racism, sexual assault, and bigotry get paid back with this evil gently caress on the court for 30 years.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This Gor-sucks

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm not tired of winning yet.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

it could be worse, this guy is apparently a libertarian and while i am ideologically opposed to libertarians, i prefer them in judge positions over neocons any day

at least libertarians respect civil liberties

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

mcmagic posted:

Are we even sure about that? I doubt anyone this admin would pick isn't blatantly racist.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given that nobody I would find ideal was ever going to be picked, I don't think he's laughably terrible. It's not like Trump picked an old time lawyer friend, which if he was less desperate for a public victory he might have.

I'd get mad about his "religious freedom" rulings, except I can't get mad at him when I could get mad at Chuck Schumer for introducing the Religious Freedom Act and Bill Clinton for signing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AmiYumi posted:

Are we even sure about that? I doubt anyone this admin would pick isn't blatantly racist.

He's probably not a blatant racist but it won't matter in the context of how he'll rule. Just like Clarence Thomas.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
He's fully expected to toe the party line on "religious liberty" so Obergefell and Lawrence are still sunk if one of the Justices in favor of those decisions dies/retires.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Commie NedFlanders posted:

it could be worse, this guy is apparently a libertarian and while i am ideologically opposed to libertarians, i prefer them in judge positions over neocons any day

He's an originalist though which means his libertarianism probably amounts to "civil liberties for everyone, no minorities or women"

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Craptacular! posted:

Given that nobody I would find ideal was ever going to be picked, I don't think he's laughably terrible. It's not like Trump picked an old time lawyer friend, which if he was less desperate for a public victory he might have.

I'd get mad about his "religious freedom" rulings, except I can't get mad at him when I could get mad at Chuck Schumer for introducing the Religious Freedom Act and Bill Clinton for signing it.

The federal law wasn't that bad tho, and was largely designed to protect native America religions. Not their fault the republicans coopted them into gay hate bills

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

EwokEntourage posted:

The federal law wasn't that bad tho, and was largely designed to protect native America religions. Not their fault the republicans coopted them into gay hate bills

They should have knew they would because in 1993 the national mood towards gays was closer to Phyllis Schlafy than Harvey Milk.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yes he will get confirmed but hopefully it's only after McConnell has to nuke the filibuster.

This. If you are a Democratic Senator, why do you not force them to do this? The moment this happens, Republicans own literally everything that happens until the next election.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Interesting note: he clerked for Kennedy. He would be the first ever justice to serve alongside a justice he clerked for.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/charliespiering/status/826606862304964608

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

B B posted:

This. If you are a Democratic Senator, why do you not force them to do this? The moment this happens, Republicans own literally everything that happens until the next election.

And if you're too afraid to ever use it, then its the same as not having it

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

And if you're too afraid to ever use it, then its the same as not having it

Yeah, there's no point in saving it because they'll get rid of it the first time it's used. Might as well get it over with.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Gonna be funny when the Republicans sell off that land behind them and it's oil pumps and mines as far as the eye can see.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Democrats had balls they would say that they're opposing Gorsuch because, as McConnell stated repeatedly last year, he was following the precedent set by Joe Biden in 1992 that said presidents shouldn't nominate Supreme Court justices during an election campaign, and since Trump already filed his reelection paperwork that means America is already in an election campaign and therefore Trump can't nominate a judge.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Craptacular! posted:

That would have been better, though.

For one thing, Trump’s old‐time lawyer friends are in their sixties and seventies.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gonna be funny when the Republicans sell off that land behind them and it's oil pumps and mines as far as the eye can see.

I think that's the land that Obama's EPA flooded with toxic waste and then refused to pay compensation for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The really hosed up thing will be when Thomas resigns and Trump replaces him with some 50-year-old.

That's still vastly, vastly preferable Kennedy or one of the liberals. If any of those 5 go with the GOP having one party rule then I hope you're ready for abortion to be outlawed and likely made a felony, in addition to SSM being a state-level thing at best, and with copious amounts of Federal-level protection for anyone who wants to discriminate against gays. Some things, like labor unions, are already on borrowed time since nationwide Right to gently caress You is going to be passed and signed in to law within the next few months at most.

Considering things like the DHS's current behavior, or that Trump's pretty much gutting the government and what positions he fills are with yes men, things are going to get really loving dark regardless.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

For white people maybe. For anyone else? I guess if you consider a tweet or Facebook post while voting straight ticket-R to be respect, sure.