Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Nephzinho posted:

Did we ever get any indication of what the amiibo for BOTW do? I have a few link/zelda for the consumables and the Wolf for the buddy, but don't love any of the new ones.

For some, yeah: NOA Tumblr

However no info on the ones revealed since Jan 13th, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really mind the motion controls in the wrong version of Twilight Princess and I think they're perfectly fine in Skyward Sword.

But I would like to use this opportunity to complain, for the first time of my life, about the Wii motion controls. It's not Zelda specific though.

Okay, so I'm a modern person who watches tv through the internet. Cable tv is for old people, right?
My old Wii, which actually has gone mostly unused for the last two years or so, was the only reason I still hadn't put my old CRT TV with the trash yet. Yes, a CRT.

But the TV was dying and I wanted to get rid of it, so I found a solution: you can buy a 3rd party 'made in china' Wii2Hdmi converter thing, you plug it in the Wii's AV port and you plug in a HDMI cable on the other side et voila. That way I can use my computer screen when I want to use my Wii again.

Except it didn't work. I kept getting a black screen with an "Out of Range" error, while audio came through fine. Some googling taught me that this error had to do with having the wrong screen setting on the Wii. Okay, alright, I hook the Wii back up to the old CRT, went into the Wii options menu, went to the screen settings page, and there were three options: 50Hz, 60Hz and HDTV. HDTV was greyed out but internet told me that switching between 50 and 60Hz should work. It didn't. I was quite sure that the HDTV option would work, so I looked up how to enable it. "The Wii can detect the type of cable you plug in. The option will be enabled only when you plug in a HD cable". gently caress.

So, what I ended up having to do was memorize the options screen, plug in the HDMI convertor, point the Wiimote at a black screen, and blindly navigate it, my only help being the slight buzzes the Wiimote gives whenever you touch a button. I had to navigate the screen blindly with my Wiimote, count the buzzes, and somehow manage to press HDTV followed by OK. And it worked!

But at times like these, it would've been really incredibly convenient if the Wii options menu could understand the d-pad. Holy crap, I hate blind motion controls.

--------

Feel free to laugh at me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So you get some free materials in game.

^^ The Wii pro controller can control the cursor.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 30, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Assuming this is released by April. It will definitely be in my suitcase, when I come fly home.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

coffeecup posted:

Yes, but the new ones.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
^ Oh my bad I definitely missed several key words in your post. I also just realized now that there's no info on functions for the guardian amiibo or the first two botw-themed Links.

Calling it: guardian gives you temporary laser resistance, Horse Link gives you snacks for Epona, Archer Link gives you the mini nuke launcher with infinite ammo.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Any news on what the Smash versions of the Link and Zelda amiibos will give?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

coffeecup posted:

See, now I kinda want to get the OoT Link and Wind Waker Link Amiibos so I can randomly drop meat and/or fish on people.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

See, now I kinda want to get the OoT Link and Wind Waker Link Amiibos so I can randomly drop meat and/or fish on people.

this is a method of defeating Ganon.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

Instant Sunrise posted:

TFRazorsaw posted:

this is a method of defeating Ganon.

One by one, lay down a trail of fish for Ganon to follow throughout the castle. This way, you can lure him into the garage and simply lock the door behind him. King Daphnes will have to take the bus to work, but hey end of the world averted.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't really mind the motion controls in the wrong version of Twilight Princess and I think they're perfectly fine in Skyward Sword.

But I would like to use this opportunity to complain, for the first time of my life, about the Wii motion controls. It's not Zelda specific though.

Okay, so I'm a modern person who watches tv through the internet. Cable tv is for old people, right?
My old Wii, which actually has gone mostly unused for the last two years or so, was the only reason I still hadn't put my old CRT TV with the trash yet. Yes, a CRT.

But the TV was dying and I wanted to get rid of it, so I found a solution: you can buy a 3rd party 'made in china' Wii2Hdmi converter thing, you plug it in the Wii's AV port and you plug in a HDMI cable on the other side et voila. That way I can use my computer screen when I want to use my Wii again.

Except it didn't work. I kept getting a black screen with an "Out of Range" error, while audio came through fine. Some googling taught me that this error had to do with having the wrong screen setting on the Wii. Okay, alright, I hook the Wii back up to the old CRT, went into the Wii options menu, went to the screen settings page, and there were three options: 50Hz, 60Hz and HDTV. HDTV was greyed out but internet told me that switching between 50 and 60Hz should work. It didn't. I was quite sure that the HDTV option would work, so I looked up how to enable it. "The Wii can detect the type of cable you plug in. The option will be enabled only when you plug in a HD cable". gently caress.

So, what I ended up having to do was memorize the options screen, plug in the HDMI convertor, point the Wiimote at a black screen, and blindly navigate it, my only help being the slight buzzes the Wiimote gives whenever you touch a button. I had to navigate the screen blindly with my Wiimote, count the buzzes, and somehow manage to press HDTV followed by OK. And it worked!

But at times like these, it would've been really incredibly convenient if the Wii options menu could understand the d-pad. Holy crap, I hate blind motion controls.

--------

Firstly, no laughter. I have an LED flatscreen and a CRT (with a VCR built in, no less) for my older systems like GameCube, PS2, Sega CDX, original XBox, Saturn etc.

I actually tried two of those Wii to HDMI things and they both looked horrible. The left and right third of the screen basically looked distorted, like I was looking in a blurry fishbowl, so I sent them back. My LED tv has a composite port so I just use that for my Wii.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Everything that's currently known about the map in BOTW:

http://i.imgur.com/ABW1Xci.jpg

(Linked because maybe spoilers?)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well now that link doesn't work on my phone so in case it doesn't work for you, here:

Don't expand thumbnail if you don't want spoilers ok

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hedrigall posted:

Don't expand thumbnail if you don't want spoilers ok
I saw some of the names and pieces of music autoplayed in my mind. I am stoked

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

JustJeff88 posted:

Firstly, no laughter. I have an LED flatscreen and a CRT (with a VCR built in, no less) for my older systems like GameCube, PS2, Sega CDX, original XBox, Saturn etc.

I actually tried two of those Wii to HDMI things and they both looked horrible. The left and right third of the screen basically looked distorted, like I was looking in a blurry fishbowl, so I sent them back. My LED tv has a composite port so I just use that for my Wii.

Do your TVs not have component in?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I wanna meet the guy who is first to take a horse and ride it all across and throughout the entire world

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I wanna meet the guy who is first to take a horse and ride it all across and throughout the entire world

This is pretty much my plan. Get a dumpy pony and a dog friend and just ride and explore.

AND MEET WEIRDOS WHO NEED MY HELP HELLLLL YEAH!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Keiya posted:

Do your TVs not have component in?

They both do, now that you mention it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dropped into my local GS and nabbed a collectors ed. of TP for a nice smooth 40 euros. Took my Wiiu out of a drawer and all.

2 things, woah the WiiU pad's screen can get super gross and dusty, and also when did the WiiU Vc get Skyward Sword and the DS Zeldas?? I think you can play every Zelda now between the Wiiu and 3ds legitimately except for 4 Swords?

Also I'm about 20 mins into TP and I forgot all about herding goats and doing nothing for like a year at the start of this game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
The problem with having Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks on Wii U is that they still have an utterly asinine control scheme, or I would buy them myself.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Wait doesn't Phantom Hourglass need you to blow into a mic and shut the Ds?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Wii U gamepad has a mic, and I assume they do the same thing that emulators do where you can press a button to "close" the DS

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Can confirm. Each time you resume the game from the virtual console menu the game goes into sleep for just a second.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

--------

CRTs don't go into the trash, you monster.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Please dispense your old electronics to your nearest e-waste center.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Good luck finding anyone willing to take away a CRT.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't know about now, but I've taken old CRT monitors in to Best Buy for recycling and they took them then. It's been a few years I guess.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Shoehead posted:

I dropped into my local GS and nabbed a collectors ed. of TP for a nice smooth 40 euros. Took my Wiiu out of a drawer and all.

2 things, woah the WiiU pad's screen can get super gross and dusty, and also when did the WiiU Vc get Skyward Sword and the DS Zeldas?? I think you can play every Zelda now between the Wiiu and 3ds legitimately except for 4 Swords?

Also I'm about 20 mins into TP and I forgot all about herding goats and doing nothing for like a year at the start of this game.

You need to have been a 3DS Ambassador to get Minish Cap.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
And actually if you were early enough (and not even ambassador early) there was a DSiware port of Four Swords too, leaving only Four Swords ADventures out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just got back from the Zelda escape room.

Thoughts:

Fun, for the most part. But the last puzzle is poorly designed and confusing as a result.
Every group has a "Navi" that is supposed to offer guidance. Ours did not help even remotely. We had 15 minutes left for the last puzzle and asked for help 3 times and once he gave misleading information, another time said if I help you it will solve the puzzle for you (it wouldn't have) and the other time just said read over your clues again. I suspect other Navis were much more helpful seeing that roughly 75% of the tables finished but of the ones in our area only one did. (he was the Navi for the others around us, too)
Still, I would recommend it, but you should go in with a hint that I can give if you want it.

Also, there was a switch demo there. I didn't play BotW because I only wanted to hold the switch and that was not an option. The game looks very nice in person, but not breathtaking by any means. The new amiibo look fantastic, though.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nephzinho posted:

You need to have been a 3DS Ambassador to get Minish Cap.

Yeah I ended up with the WiiU version instead. Which I don't mind because that game looks really nice on the pad\tv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's dumb because Minish Cap is really good. I'm enjoying it so far. Maybe it will get a release on switch in 20 years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still have my GBA SP :shobon: I generally never get rid of handhelds since they don't take up a lot of room, unless I get a better/updated version. For example when I got my AGS-101 I didn't need my old SP.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Nate RFB posted:

I still have my GBA SP :shobon: I generally never get rid of handhelds since they don't take up a lot of room, unless I get a better/updated version. For example when I got my AGS-101 I didn't need my old SP.

:hf:

Me too. I found a 101 on eBay that someone had put a jet black case from the previous model on, and I snatched that right up. I have huge hands and it's not great ergonomically for me, though.

I still don't know why the SP101 has a "high" backlight setting, though. Once, as an experiment, I played a game with it on Low in an utterly pitch-black room and it was perfectly playable and lit half the room that I was in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I never had an SP. I had a GBA but I don't know whatever happened to it. I've sometimes thought it would be cool to get an SP but then I remember I don't really care about any gameboy games. I have The Minish Cap which seems to be the best GBA game and I'm playing that on my DS Lite. The other gameboy Zelda games seem to be on the 3DS eshop. I guess If I were to ever buy physical copies of those games, I would get an SP. Minish Cap is the only physical game I have for GBA. I lost my gameboy color games a long time ago and have no idea what happened to the few GBA games I had. None of them were particularly good though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I still have my red, Target-branded GBA with the Afterburner installed :cool:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I just picked up an AGS-101 and so now I'm trying to track down a copy of Minish Cap for it.

Luckily I already have 4 swords anniversary at Link's Awakening DX on my 3DS.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There's plenty on ebay, but there's also plenty of fakes.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

There's plenty on ebay, but there's also plenty of fakes.

Yeah the GBA market is probably more fake than not for any chase games at this point. Invest in a flash cart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah the GBA market is probably more fake than not for any chase games at this point. Invest in a flash cart!

Thinking of grabbing a retro boy in the summer, and going to start collecting old GBA games. Anyway to tell if the karts are fake or not? Retro boys and 3DS are perfect for a Bug out bag when everything goes to hell