Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

kingcom posted:

JFC even the central premise of the wonder woman movie is not gonna make sense to me. Why WW1? Why is that the war she gets involved in? Like is that the one the american pilot flies his lovely bi plane out to sea to crash on amazon island? Is it just going to be an island everyone on mainland france can see from shore and never bothered to check out? Is it going to be an american sailor? Why is it going to matter when the wars almost over ? Why this war and not the millions of european slap fests that happened for centuries before hand. Am I going insane?

WW1 is the only noticeable difference between the movie and Wonder Woman's typical entrance into the real world, keeping it at WW2 wouldn't change anything you're complaining about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I haven't seen it in a long time but didn't Blade go straight from a brief scene of his birth to him slaughtering a vampire rave?

And hell, that first scene only really had to be there because they brought back his mom later in the movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The effects in Blade didn't age very well at all (understatement of the year) but I still dig it and especially the sequel. I'd rewatch that before any DCU or MCU movie to be honest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Incredible Hulk gave the entire origin in its opening credits. No I do not think the original Hulk movie with Eric Bana is considered part of the continuity especially because that movie was all origin

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
It's not WW1 that has me nervous (although that is dumb, there can be two WW2 supers films, DC).

I recognize this might be just my weird hangup, but that bit in the trailer, where Wonder Woman is standing in a field and a sniper shoots at her? It looks like the kind of lovely, dumb action cinematography that exists solely so the movie can have a trailer shot. It's the kind of thing the youtube chuds clap at, and so far everything about the movie feels like that, like what dipshits think is cool and clever.

Edit: Exempt from this are Wonder Woman fans who just wanna see their hero on screen.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

HIJK posted:

WW1 is the only noticeable difference between the movie and Wonder Woman's typical entrance into the real world, keeping it at WW2 wouldn't change anything you're complaining about.

Far as I know the single interesting character arc for Wonder Woman is her entrance into the world of man is joining in on a very clear good vs evil fight going on in the world then as time goes on it becomes super clear that the world isn't really black and white and she regrets getting involved and does a lot of soul search but decides that yeah despite all of that all you can do is still try and be a hero despite the issues of the world. Oh wait I guess that would be too optimisitic for the Edgelord cinematic universe. Yeah you're right.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

my only hope is that the wonder woman movie sets up 70's mod wonder woman

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

starkebn posted:

I wish a damned superhero movie could just get the origin story poo poo out of the way with a montage behind the opening credits FFS. It the least interesting part and not what people want to watch.

Daredevil sort of did that but it was bad and dumb.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

counterfeitsaint posted:

Warcraft, the movie released in 2016, was based on a game made in 1994. Starcraft came out in 1998, so we've got at least 3 more years before they can make that into a movie.

The WoW fans will all be dead of heart disease long before they see their dream realized. On the plus side, we don't have to worry about the hot garbage that was Starcraft 2 defiling a theater for quite awhile.

Maybe they can borrow from the rich and storied lore of other such game worlds as Battleship, or Tetris: The movie.

Does the Warcraft movie contain homage to any of the immortal world-weaving dialogue in the game, such as "Yes, m'lord," "Job's done," or "Zug zug"?

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
my favorite part of reboots is how they have to retell the origin story

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

kingcom posted:

JFC even the central premise of the wonder woman movie is not gonna make sense to me. Why WW1? Why is that the war she gets involved in? Like is that the one the american pilot flies his lovely bi plane out to sea to crash on amazon island? Is it just going to be an island everyone on mainland france can see from shore and never bothered to check out? Is it going to be an american sailor? Why is it going to matter when the wars almost over ? Why this war and not the millions of european slap fests that happened for centuries before hand. Am I going insane?

Joan d'Arc is tied to a burning pyre. As the flames lick her legs, a sudden flash - the ropes rip the flames are extinguished by a gust of wind, and there stands Joan transformed into her true form - Wonder Woman, leading the world towards the glory of a Catholic theocracy.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Joan d'Arc is tied to a burning pyre. As the flames lick her legs, a sudden flash - the ropes rip the flames are extinguished by a gust of wind, and there stands Joan transformed into her true form - Wonder Woman, leading the world towards the glory of a Catholic theocracy.

Self-flagellation is right up her alley.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Im fairly easy when it comes to cinema going and don't mind going to see a superhero film with friends but I flat out refused to see those recent Spider-Man reboots. gently caress off Sony. Another Spider-Man origin film is scurrilous.

Somewhere in Hollywood there is an executive who can only sport wood when he kills Uncle Ben in a multi-million dollar film

Also what are the odds that the Germans in Wonder Woman are just portrayed as Nazis anyway even though it's not WWII

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also what are the odds that the Germans won't be played by actualy Germans :argh:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The best superhero intro is in Watchmen

The best superhero origin is also in Watchmen, when they do the montage of Dr.Manhattan. Bam, origin story done in a few minutes and it looked cool

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The best superhero origin is also in Watchmen, when they do the montage of Dr.Manhattan. Bam, origin story done in a few minutes and it looked cool

Also there's no stupid mentor figure giving him a bunch of moral crap about how he has to be a hero. He just develops god powers and has to figure out the morality for himself, which makes him interesting.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Vee are Germans and zat iz vhy vee hate veemen. Vee are doing a Vorld Var against veemen, actually. Especially strong and independent veemen. If only there vas someone non-German to show us zat vee are wrong.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

priznat posted:

The effects in Blade didn't age very well at all (understatement of the year) but I still dig it and especially the sequel. I'd rewatch that before any DCU or MCU movie to be honest.
Best line in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fK77uAyw8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blade 1 and 2 own.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dredd didn't have, didn't need an origin story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

Applies to both films which are great for different reasons.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
John Wick didn't need an origin story either

Why do we need to see spidermans origin forever and ever and ever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It was legally mandated by marvel. No joke.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Blade 1 and 2 own.

ah yeah

blade 3 though...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Mordja posted:

I think it was All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison that did Superman's origin story in 4 panels and 8 words. Nice, very nice.

The problem with origin stories isn't origin stories per se. Iron Man's origin story in the film is great because it's both entertaining, informs the character and we haven't seen it before.

Amazing Spider Man was pretty unnecessary, although at least they tried to do *something* different by making his start as Spider Man be a revenge spree kind of thing.

Man of Steel was the worst for Pa Kent basically telling Clark he should be an Randian Ubermensch and not to inconvenience himself rescuing his lessers

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the new spider-man movie was specifically not going to be an origin story?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MikeCrotch posted:

Man of Steel was the worst for Pa Kent basically telling Clark he should be an Randian Ubermensch and not to inconvenience himself rescuing his lessers

Sad thing is, this interpretation makes the most sense after BvS just got dumb with it all, but when Man of Steel was just by itself, I kind of liked that Pa Ken was a voice for "selfishness" within Clark.

Superman is a complicated character in a lot of ways, and he's a character who has been written and portrayed in a lot of different ways. When Superman "goes bad" he usually does so by embracing his godlike status or else abusing his powers to ensure his morality is enforced absolutely. Red Sun is a very good example of this.

Pa Kent telling Superman that he doesn't have to be the hero, he doesn't have to save people, he could just hide it all away and live whatever life he wanted, seemed at first to be touching on that nerve, suggesting to Superman that he may be better off--the world may be better off--if the lid on that box is never lifted, and Superman never comes to be.

It's not hard to write a good Superman story, I really don't know why they don't just pay Grant Morrison to write a script.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

The problem with origin stories isn't origin stories per se. Iron Man's origin story in the film is great because it's both entertaining, informs the character and we haven't seen it before.

Yes, thank you. A well told origin story is amazing. People are just sick of bad, boring origin stories.

I love Kill Bill Vol 2 because we get to see the Bride's origin story.

Rocky is an origin story and people loving love that movie.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I always got the impression that Snyder really wanted to turn Injustice: Gods Among Us into a movie and he should've just started with that.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Origin stories in comic book films are there because the characters are one dimensional and unrelatable so they've got to get the audience some sort of investment before they go off doing a bunch of CGI poo poo. It's just a reflection on how empty these characters are.

The Kill Bill one is a good one because its so well integrated into the story. If they had just done generic Kung fu training at the beginning of the film and thirty seconds after being buried alive she starts punching herself out of the coffin it would've been pretty dumb.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Origin stories in comic book films are there because the characters are one dimensional and unrelatable so they've got to get the audience some sort of investment before they go off doing a bunch of CGI poo poo. It's just a reflection on how empty these characters are.

The Kill Bill one is a good one because its so well integrated into the story. If they had just done generic Kung fu training at the beginning of the film and thirty seconds after being buried alive she starts punching herself out of the coffin it would've been pretty dumb.

The second kill bill is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

I am not sure that the origin is the only answer to making your hero relatable to be honest. In fact both Spider-man franchises seemed to disregard the origin pretty quickly afterwards. I think Peter Parker living a double life because he's only 16 but still wants to do the right thing is plenty engaging if done well and doesn't require a half hour spider bite introduction.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Great example of what I meant is Guardians of the Galaxy where we get a little about the characters when we meet them but our emotional engagement and relatability comes from what they say and do during the course of the film's current events.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also GotG isn't even an established thing like batman or spiderman where literally the whole world knows their origin stories.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

I am not sure that the origin is the only answer to making your hero relatable to be honest.

It's not but brand recognition is everything and so you go for this lovely half baked approach in order to get a movie based around some character man babies remember from their childhood to work.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

a bone to pick posted:

The second kill bill is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

Thats not even trying.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
2nd kill bill was way better than 1st

I'm not even sure what the first one was trying to do tbh. I guess the mass slaughter fight was good

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
David Carradine was especially great in KB2. RIP you magnificent wanker.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Kill Bill is best as a single viewing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Kill Bill Vol. 1 is just plain excellence from start to finish. It's an excuse for Tarantino to film a dozen scenes in a dozen different genres and stick them in one movie. Just enjoy how loving great every shot is. The only real flaw is that all the action is front-loaded and the second movie is a much slower and talkier production. I think that's intentional though.

• Locked thread