Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Seems like an awfully quiet Super Bowl week. I guess with all the political events flying around, the Super Bowl is in the background this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Silly Burrito posted:

Seems like an awfully quiet Super Bowl week. I guess with all the political events flying around, the Super Bowl is in the background this year.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/01/browns_qb_buzz_on_jimmy_garopp.html

quote:

2. The Browns will make a pitch for Jimmy Garoppolo

Sources say the Browns' interest in Garoppolo is real and that they'll try to trade for him depending on how their draft evaluations go over the next five weeks or so.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

People are sick of the Pats and don't think we can beat them.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

The gates of the Factory of Sadness open wide, gaping eagerly for more meat, more arms, more brains. It must feed...it must feed...and only a quarterback will do. Just two more next season, maybe three, and then it will rest...yes...it will lie dormant for another summer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

There really isn't anything to say about the Patriots and the Falcons don't have the names or personalities to stand out. I mean, the biggest names associated with the Falcons are: Matt Ryan, who is the most boring whitebread dude possible, Julio Jones, who seemingly hates attention, and Kyle Shanahan who won't talk about the only thing anyone wants to ask him about this week.

Also Pro bowl week is anti-buzz.

Josh Lyman posted:

and don't think we can beat them.

What makes you say that? The line hasn't moved at all.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/radiojody/status/826574659487354880

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Enjoy Russell's cornball thousand years of darkness, NFCWest :hawksin:,

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Bad Moon posted:

If the Rams have proved anything, it's that you don't need a QB or even an offense to beat the Seahawks once or twice a year

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

TheChirurgeon posted:

If the Rams have proved anything, it's that you don't need a QB or even an offense to beat the Seahawks once or twice a year

They have also proved that you need more than that to actually win the division, though.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

unfortunately the Rams have also proved that you do need those things to beat anyone else though

the Seahawks winning their division every year with a 2-4 division record will be a funny footnote at least

e; beaten

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

TheChirurgeon posted:

Rams jettisoned their Seahawks kryptonite in Jeff Fisher and have rendered themselves powerless :colbert:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bad Moon posted:

Why do that now? Seems kind of pointless to yank the kids from school, just stick around another 5 months to let them finish the year, not like you've got a game scheduled in that time.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Have a good retirement, Carson. We'll always have 2005's regular season and the first pass play of the playoffs until 1 second after you released the ball to recall fondly

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Russell Wilson, he stated today that he voted for Hillary. Even his crazy Jesus beliefs didn't sway him toward Trump.

Now Brady on the other hand...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Thaddius the Large posted:

Why do that now? Seems kind of pointless to yank the kids from school, just stick around another 5 months to let them finish the year, not like you've got a game scheduled in that time.

Why would you live in Scottsdale longer than you have to?

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of Russell Wilson, he stated today that he voted for Hillary. Even his crazy Jesus beliefs didn't sway him toward Trump.

Now Brady on the other hand...

Asking QBs their political opinions (or any opinions really) is just setting yourself up to be disappointed but glad to know Russ at least in some respect isn't an old white dude.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bad Moon posted:

Asking QBs their political opinions (or any opinions really) is just setting yourself up to be disappointed but glad to know Russ at least in some respect isn't an old white dude.

another reason why nba > nfl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4jcK7VitGg

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Bad Moon posted:

Not all of us can be so fortunate as to have Kaeptain America on their team... :getin:

...and he'll likely be gone from the team this year :smith:

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Cavauro posted:

No excuses but, Tom brady retire, and bitch as well.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I want Trump to be at the game and see him eating a bucket of KFC.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

It kind of sucks poo poo that the Superbowl is two weeks after conference championships.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions got a new logo. G'bye, black trim.

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/826798500671217665

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I like dropping the extra black border. I don't care for the new font.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bad Moon posted:

Asking QBs athletes entertainers in general ANYONE their political opinions (or any opinions really) is just setting yourself up to be disappointed

Fixed that for you.

Kalli posted:

What makes you say that? The line hasn't moved at all.

Yeah, making the line Pats -3 is one step removed from them just throwing their hands in the air and going, "poo poo, I dunno? Put your money wherever, I guess?" :iiam:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh, that's the missing piece to turn this Lions franchise around.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Athanatos posted:

Oh, that's the missing piece to turn this Lions franchise around.

Taking a page out of the chip Kelly playbook and getting rid of the black

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blitz7x posted:

:drat:

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Swish

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, making the line Pats -3 is one step removed from them just throwing their hands in the air and going, "poo poo, I dunno? Put your money wherever, I guess?" :iiam:

The Patriots are 1-4-3 in the Super Bowl if you give their opponents +3.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 1, 2017

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

GaussianCopula posted:

The Patriots are 1-4-3 in the Super Bowl if you give their opponents +3.

Pats margin of victory in their Super Bowls

If they would've made this line higher, which would've felt right if it were 4.5 or 5, most likely vegas would've gotten killed. Where is all of the early money going? I'm betting most of the late money comes in on the Falcons and the line will dip to 2.5 but settle at 3.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I like dropping the extra black border. I don't care for the new font.
IIRC the black border what was initially added because Matt Millen wanted a tie-in to his Raider days.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Silly Burrito posted:

also because the genius who posted this thread decided to make the title not look at all like every N/V ever posted with a lame rear end title, so now this thread is quiet as gently caress because it blends in with every other white noise thread in TFF

petition to only allow cool and good title makers to be OP in 2017. make it happen trump

lol how did the pro bowl N/V get like 34 pages meanwhile we're halfway to the Big Game™ here and we haven't even broken 5

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 1, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Turdsdown Tom posted:

also because the genius who posted this thread decided to make the title not look at all like every N/V ever posted with a lame rear end title, so now this thread is quiet as gently caress because it blends in with every other white noise thread in TFF

petition to only allow cool and good title makers to be OP in 2017. make it happen trump

lol how did the pro bowl N/V get like 34 pages meanwhile we're halfway to the Big Game™ here and we haven't even broken 5

We don't have a mod to change this thread title, and since we don't have a mod, most of the chatter has migrated to the Mythical TFF Chat thread...

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

More interesting things are happening in the country.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

More interesting things are happening in the country.

In the "Chinese curse" sense, sure. :barf:

Also there is a lack of big personalities or hype in general. It's basically "which defense is most hosed?" and nobody is sure so even the Xs and Os side doesn't make for much of a conversation it seems.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sean10mm posted:

In the "Chinese curse" sense, sure. :barf:

Also there is a lack of big personalities or hype in general. It's basically "which defense is most hosed?" and nobody is sure so even the Xs and Os side doesn't make for much of a conversation it seems.

and the one player everyone can agree is the best, the gronk retriever, is going to be talking about 69s from the stands :smith:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Logo good, new font better than prev but very Vikings-y.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

evilweasel posted:

and the one player everyone can agree is the best, the gronk retriever, is going to be talking about 69s from the stands :smith:

Julio Jones is also great, but apparently hates media coverage, so there's that.

The Falcons side is a problem pretty much because Julio isn't a media person, Matt Ryan is extraordinarily bland, Alex Mack is a center nobody can pick out of a lineup, and every other player on that offense is a good, but not standout player who isn't going to be focused on. The biggest story about the Falcons is pretty much how is their offense going to adapt with the loss of Shanahan.

The Patriots on the other hand have already had all the random stories come out over the years, so is dominated by a loving trophy handoff story.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 1, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The pre-game coverage is really lethargic in general too. Even the sports media just kind of doesn't give a poo poo this year. Like, the top pre-Super Bowl story on SI.com is "When will Brady decline?"

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/02/01/tom-brady-patriots-future-jimmy-garoppolo-super-bowl-51

The answer is "Uuuuh, beats me?" in case you're wondering. Like, they couldn't even muster some sub-Mythbusters tier :science::siren: SPORTS SCIENCE :siren::science: filler, it's just a dude writing "It's gotta happen sometime, and won't that be a thing!"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blitz7x posted:

:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kalli posted:

Julio Jones is also great, but apparently hates media coverage, so there's that.

The Falcons side is a problem pretty much because Julio isn't a media person, Matt Ryan is extraordinarily bland, Alex Mack is a center nobody can pick out of a lineup, and every other player on that offense is a good, but not standout player who isn't going to be focused on. The biggest story about the Falcons is pretty much how is their offense going to adapt with the loss of Shanahan.

The Patriots on the other hand have already had all the random stories come out over the years, so is dominated by a loving trophy handoff story.

How many centers could you pick out of a lineup?

Julio isn't a diva like the Odell's and Antonio Brown's of the world for sure, but I kinda appreciate that about him. It's true, Matt Ryan hasn't raped anyone or aligned himself to the POTUS, but Sanu and Gabriel are entertaining as gently caress on offense, and on defense there should be pretty easy story lines about all the rookies, namely Neal and Jones. Vic Beasley going from bust to NFL Sack Leader. The secondary stepping up and actually playing better without their star DB. Atlanta as a franchise not being to the Superbowl since 1998. Stories are there...the media just sucks.

Instead we get leaked emails about pain killers and Backpackgate.

• Locked thread