Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Wikkheiser posted:

Prime.

Kinda neat that the uniforms look like a bridge between Enterprise and TOS.

I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that those aren't the duty uniforms but a field jacket similar to those worn in The Cage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Or a dress uniform? That one sided collar looks weird.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey they actually managed to remember to put in a couple DS9 shots.

No I'm not bitter about how DS9 is treated why do you ask.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

McNally posted:

That was Threshold

Holy poo poo, I was so tired I just glossed over the words "makeup emmy" and my mind committed some kind of cognitive dyslexia and filled in a whole Threshold-related post in its place.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have poo poo all over Discovery since I heard about it, but that little promotional video isn't terrible.

It says to me "We have at least seen a few episodes of Star Trek and are going to try to respect it" instead of "OUR Star Trek is going to be sooo progressive".

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WickedHate posted:

So....still stickin with CBS All Access, huh?

The kiss of death.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

My understanding is that it is also going to Netflix, allowing CBS All Access to continue dying a natural death.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

dont even fink about it posted:

My understanding is that it is also going to Netflix, allowing CBS All Access to continue dying a natural death.

But not in the US.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

Yeah, as Mister Kingdom said, it's not gonna be on Netflix in the US. It's also not going to be on Netflix in Canada, if I recall correctly, but for everywhere else in the world it is.

Are there still sites that let you switch to UK Netflix and the like? Or is that not a kosher thing to discuss here?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I doubt it will be available anywhere in Canada. A guy I work with his dad is doing CGI for it and according to him there are zero plans to make it available anywhere here.

It's like they want people to pirate it.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

twistedmentat posted:

I doubt it will be available anywhere in Canada. A guy I work with his dad is doing CGI for it and according to him there are zero plans to make it available anywhere here.

Space said ages ago that they would be broadcasting it and have been hosting the geolocked promo material.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

twistedmentat posted:

We won't be able to binge watch it, but it'll be on space:

http://www.space.ca/show/star-trek-discovery/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So ... what's Star Trek: Discovery?
In late 2014 and throughout 2015, rumors began to circulate that CBS was exploring the possibility of bringing Star Trek back to television in some form or another. After talking with several potential producers, CBS finally announced in early 2016 that Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daisies, Hannibal) would be the executive producer of the new series alongside Alex Kurtzman. As conceived by Fuller, its first season will be a 13-episode single story arc.

So Trek is back on TV?
Not quite. CBS originally intended for Discovery to be the centerpiece of the launch of its All Access streaming service, and the international streaming rights were sold to Netflix. But the first season, in North America, is going to be exclusive to All Access, which costs $9.99 a month and is such a tremendous piece of crap that CBS has already allied with Hulu to use Hulu's backend for live streaming. On a positive note, Les Moonves is on the record as saying that the international Netflix deal covered at least half of the production budget for the first season.

HOWEVER, the pilot episode will be broadcast on CBS proper. All further episodes will be on the All Access service.

Oh. But Bryan Fuller is running it? That's AWESOME!
Not quite. While Fuller conceived the show, assembled the team of writers and producers, came up with his overall story for the first season and wrote the first two episodes ... but Fuller is a notorious perfectionist and isn't known for moving at a terribly speedy pace. Later in 2016, there were rumors that there was a delay imminent (the show was originally slated to start filming in August for a January launch, and by September there still were no casting announcements), and then rumors started to fly that Fuller might be taking a reduced role -- which was soon announced. While it was originally said that Fuller was still actively involved in the show and would be working with the writers, just not handling the day-to-day operations, Fuller himself later confirmed that his involvement with Discovery was over -- beyond the story concept and having written the first two scripts, he is now completely out of the picture, though he retains his "created by" and executive producer titles.

Oh. Well, that sucks. Who IS involved, then?
The day-to-day executive producers are Gretchen Berg and Heather Kadin, with Akiva Goldsman lending support in the writers' room. Both Berg and Kadin have experience working on Alex Kurtzman's television shows. A number of Trek alumni are involved, as well: Nicholas Meyer is on board as a consulting producer who is also working on scripts; Next Generation / DS9 / Voyager writer Joe Menosky is on board as a writer; Rod Roddenberry has an executive producer title.

Huh. Okay, that might work. So what's it about?
Discovery is set ten years prior to The Original Series, per Fuller, though it's unclear if he means literally ten years prior to "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or if he's being cagey and suggesting it's ten years prior to "The Cage." In any event, the show's first season will cover "an incident in the history of Starfleet that had been talked about but never fully explored." What that means is anyone's guess, but some ideas include the Tarsus IV blight or something to do with the Romulans.

And the ship?
Based upon Ralph McQuarrie's rejected Enterprise design from Planet of the Titans, the USS Discovery is ... ugly as poo poo.

Who's on it?
Discovery will be the first Star Trek show not to focus upon the ship's commanding officer as the central character. Currently announced cast members include:

- Sonequa Martin-Green as Rainsford: The lieutenant commander of the USS Discovery, referred to as "Number One."
- Doug Jones as Saru: An alien Science Officer serving as a lieutenant aboard the Discovery.
- Anthony Rapp as Stamets: A Science Officer specializing in astromycology (the study of fungi in space). He is openly gay.
- James Frain as Sarek

Michelle Yeoh has been cast in a recurring role as the captain of the USS Shenzhou, while Shazad Latif (Spooks) will recur as the commanding officer of a Klingon ship.

When's it coming?
As I said earlier, it was originally intended to begin showing in January of this year. In September, it was announced that the show had been delayed to May. Earlier this month, it was announced that it had been delayed again, this time to an indefinite date in the future. Production began the week of January 23.

What timeline is it set in?
Timeline?! This is no time to argue about time. We don't have the time.

What was I saying? Oh, right. Discovery is set in the Prime Timeline. Don't worry if you hate the reboot movies, because this isn't part of that universe.

---

There, just link to this giant effort post whenever we start going through the same half-dozen questions about Discovery.

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 1, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I don't hate the uniforms yet, so there's that.

:colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zaroff posted:

Space said ages ago that they would be broadcasting it and have been hosting the geolocked promo material.

Nice, I guess I shouldn't listen to people who do CGI for stuff then.

And it's weird, Star Wars has been pulling out a lot of McQuarrie concept art for Rebels and some other stuff, and it all looks really cool, but then the Discovery just looks wrong, like its a design from someone who had never really seen Star Trek.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

twistedmentat posted:

And it's weird, Star Wars has been pulling out a lot of McQuarrie concept art for Rebels and some other stuff, and it all looks really cool, but then the Discovery just looks wrong, like its a design from someone who had never really seen Star Trek.

Well, I think that's a large part of the reason it was rejected for Planet of the Titans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Ralph McQuarrie is great but he totally didn't get Trek design and it was obvious from the go. He's very much about lumbering, industrial bulks, while Trek designs tend to have a flow and balance to them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That one image looks trek enough to me. Have we seen any other quality renders or only the Star Trek Beyond The Mind's Eye poo poo?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Phimosissy posted:

That one image looks trek enough to me. Have we seen any other quality renders or only the Star Trek Beyond The Mind's Eye poo poo?

Well there's this:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it that ship looks so terrible.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

"We purposely designed this ship wrong as a joke." - Starfleet Corps of Engineers

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
At around 40 seconds into the video, you can see a wireframe model of a new ship. Looks like an updated smoother version of the Titan design.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MillennialVulcan posted:

At around 40 seconds into the video, you can see a wireframe model of a new ship. Looks like an updated smoother version of the Titan design.

I'm guessing that is the Shenzou.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

MillennialVulcan posted:

Looks like an updated smoother version of the Titan design.

That looks more like the NX-01 that the titan design.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think I'm the only person who loves the ship design. I like that it's ugly, spaceships should be about function not form. Go for pure "space sculpture" to show off your post-scarcity technology when you're designing horribly managed luxury science cruise ships generations later.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I think I'm the only person who loves the ship design. I like that it's ugly, spaceships should be about function not form. Go for pure "space sculpture" to show off your post-scarcity technology when you're designing horribly managed luxury science cruise ships generations later.
Count me in as well, and I think it'll grow on people provided the show is good. Remember that a lot of fans loving hated the Enterprise-D at first. I also have schlocky tastes and want them to run with a 70s aesthetic. Logan's Run. Disco balls.

There's also a lot of gold. And gold trim on the uniforms. gently caress now I'm thinking of Jimmy Fallon's set. And Trump! There's gold everywhere now. We're in a new gilded age people.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 1, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/826669142740652033

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah this is my stance as well. Star Trek Discovery isn't a bunch of horatio clones sacrificing structural function for a bajillion holodecks all malfunctioning at the same time.

Bruce Campbell as a star ship captain (I refuse to rank him any lower) would be the best star ship captain.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If it's function over form, why is the ship's mass still separated in two by a spindly neck, and the bridge still placed neatly atop a giant circular shape like it's a bullseye? Trek designs have never been anything even remotely resembling functional, taking away the form just leaves you with nothing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

WickedHate posted:

So the reason that one betazoid who wasn't empathetic turned to serial killing was because he was an incel?

It was because they wanted to have Brad Dourif do the exact same storyline he'd already done on B5 and play yet another serial killer instead of an interesting alien gently caress he would have been perfect as a Minbari gently caress

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Moddington posted:

If it's function over form, why is the ship's mass still separated in two by a spindly neck, and the bridge still placed neatly atop a giant circular shape like it's a bullseye? Trek designs have never been anything even remotely resembling functional, taking away the form just leaves you with nothing.

I will give it this, at least it kinda looks like a contemporary of the Constitution class. That wiremesh on the computer screen is the true hideousness.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Well there's this:

Going back to KA chat, that seriously looks like a screenshot out of Klingon Academy.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Wikkheiser posted:

Remember that a lot of fans loving hated the Enterprise-D at first.

Yeah, I was one of those. I was just a kid, but I believe my first words on seeing the Enterprise-D on the TV Guide cover were "Oh my god, look what they've done to the Enterprise." :cripes:

I soon made my peace with the Galaxy Class, but I still say it lacks the instant-classic aesthetics of the Constitution Class.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Ent-D is all weird and overly curvy, it just doesn't look real. It looks CGI even when it's not. Original Enterprise looks physically and practically real, like something Boeing or McDonnell Douglass could actually build today.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Totally agree. I like the Galaxy, but it's got too many goofy-looking angles that were constantly shown on the show. IMO the refit Constitution looks good from literally every angle

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

God drat it that ship looks so terrible.

I love that the backlash against it was so immediate and harsh that they actually pulled the initial youtube reveal but they never bothered changing anything about it after that

MillennialVulcan posted:

If this is pre TOS then why do all the warp nacelles look like highlighters or box cutters

Baronjutter posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with this if literally every other form of popular space sci fi didn't already do that with varying degrees of success, "Starfleet Clean" was a thing for a reason and sometimes lovely concept art from the 70's should stay in the 70's

In contrast this is somebody's work in progress fan design from sci-fimeshes.com:

Who are they hiring to design the janky rear end poo poo we've seen so far for the actual show because lol honestly

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, I was one of those. I was just a kid, but I believe my first words on seeing the Enterprise-D on the TV Guide cover were "Oh my god, look what they've done to the Enterprise." :cripes:

I soon made my peace with the Galaxy Class, but I still say it lacks the instant-classic aesthetics of the Constitution Class.

This is where I think it really depends on when you came in on the series because I think the constitution class looks like a smashed turd attached to three long ones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugly is fine, but trek ships should be balanced. That thing ain't.

If you expand the saucer up by about 20% or so it gets way better.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Besides everyone mentioning Space, CraveTV is supposed to have exclusive streaming rights up here in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
CBS All Access, available only with Farsi dubbing at an internet cafe in Romania.