Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Nate also has the issue of "Others do it better" with his ability to steal unique items being his saving grace - Olivia's special move is too specialized to be useful but she makes up for it by being a fantastic caster, Slots can be gamed, but why do that when you can put Leave in instead and get more consistent results - same with everyone else. In any other game, Jack would be a solid physical fighter, but in FF6 it's 3.5e D&D: Caster Supremcy Ho (except Monks are actually useful)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Robindaybird posted:

Nate also has the issue of "Others do it better" with his ability to steal unique items being his saving grace - Olivia's special move is too specialized to be useful but she makes up for it by being a fantastic caster, Slots can be gamed, but why do that when you can put Leave in instead and get more consistent results - same with everyone else. In any other game, Jack would be a solid physical fighter, but in FF6 it's 3.5e D&D: Caster Supremcy Ho (except Monks are actually useful)

Eh, Nate has a couple options that at least keep him viable. Stuff that'd be kinda spoilerish to talk about now, at any rate, but suffice to say he's typically in my endgame.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

whiteyfats posted:

Jack is a bit better in the Android port, since you can just select his special move and go ahead with other characters, instead of waiting for that drat bar to fill.

About the only thing that port did right, from what I've heard.

Yes I'm still jealous that FF4 got yet another remake that was fully 3D while 5 and 6 got those ugly sprites.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Regalingualius posted:

About the only thing that port did right, from what I've heard.

Yes I'm still jealous that FF4 got yet another remake that was fully 3D while 5 and 6 got those ugly sprites.

I like that port. :saddowns: Basically the 3DS version, just a bit better looking.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Leavemywife posted:

However, like most threats to your person, the best way to handle this is by lighting their asses on fire.

I love the animation for Fire 2 in this game. I'd use it in preference to other spells a lot just because it *looked* like it was more damaging.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Robindaybird posted:

Nate is super fast though, which makes him fantastic for quick healing and getting people back on their feet in a pinch. Ideally you never get to the point where that's necessary, but for a first playthrough or when poo poo hits the fan, he's good to have around.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Mowgli is just a terrifying murderbeast in general. Also, I promised Leave that I'd do a SCC with Mowgli in the thread but welp I moved and that went away. Sorry buddy!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Galick posted:

Mowgli is just a terrifying murderbeast in general. Also, I promised Leave that I'd do a SCC with Mowgli in the thread but welp I moved and that went away. Sorry buddy!

Feel free to talk about him at length, though! I don't really know much about our wild child!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

In any other game, Jack would be a solid physical fighter, but in FF6 it's 3.5e D&D: Caster Supremcy Ho (except Monks are actually useful)

The issue here is that because so many of his Blitzes are actually based on his Magic stat, the monk is also best served being turned into a caster.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm on mobile, does anyone have a link to Leave's Chrono Trigger LP? I have the LP Archive app but it's hard to read things on there and I can't find it on a search with the Awful app.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mowgli's solo game winds up being "Stray Cat Rage, stuff dies lol"

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

DeathChicken posted:

Mowgli's solo game winds up being "Stray Cat Rage, stuff dies lol"

That's only if you know the bare bones basics! When you go into Narshe, for instance, you can be using Gigavolt from the jellyfish monsters in the trench which is Thunder 2.5! This basically oneshots almost everything, and ruins Kefka's day. This is just barely scratching the surface of what that little guy can do. Every rage gives him the statuses of the monsters, including immunities to elements and statuses, among quite a few other things. In a party situation, there's a rage from one of the experiments in Vector for instance, that can cast auto life! That's just baaarely scratching the surface, too. If/when I get more time, I'll do a few mini updates about shattering the game with our little wild child.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

MechaCrash posted:

The issue here is that because so many of his Blitzes are actually based on his Magic stat, the monk Everyone is also best served being turned into a caster.

Fixed that for you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Can't tell whether caster supremacy in FF6 is intentional or not. I mean it makes a certain amount of sense given that the whole story is about the incredible danger of magic returning to the world and possibly setting off another apocalyptic magicians' war.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm on mobile, does anyone have a link to Leave's Chrono Trigger LP? I have the LP Archive app but it's hard to read things on there and I can't find it on a search with the Awful app.

LP Archive

Forum Thread

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If you're going to party with Jack you could probably do worse than sticking him with two dudes who are largely on autopilot.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The only real use I got out of Jack when I last played involved a glitch that made him murder everything that wasn't immune to normal attacks.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Leave, you better not have dissed my favorite Esper in the game. Golem is awesome, mostly because of his unique function when Summoned. In my opinion at least.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're back.

Liches were so much tougher in Final Fantasy 1. Lava was less of an obstacle too. :(

Heiji's Jitte? What the heck is that a reference to? I prefer the original name Coin Toss. Not that I use this item, cause to heck with wasting my Gil on physical attacks.

I liked Jack when I first played the game, but in retrospect I agree with Leave about him now. I also agree that either the Cave to the Esper Realm has gotten a lot tougher since Madonna traversed it, or she was as much a badass as her daughter to be soloing it. If the latter, how did she get beat so easily by Gestahl?

Now because I don't know when the next update will come and I dislike cliffhangers and I am not a TV show producer who makes people wait months for cliffhangers to resolve (there is a special circle of Hell for that, right?)-

[Rocky Wrench Adrian is throwing wrenches at Deadpool who dodges, while making various jokes and puns about the Koopa Troop. Lakitu Alphonse and Joey Hammer are meanwhile fighting Luke Cage, who is unfazed by their attacks]

- drat, this guy is tough! My Spinies just bounce off him!

- So does my hammer! It's like he has unbreakable skin or something!

- That's right, and I'm gonna beat you both! [knocks Joey out] Now get down here and fight, you lousy flying reptile!

[- Hey, I am not lousy! But how am I gonna win... ah hah, I remember the only good Shayamalan movie with a guy like you. He got beat like this! [He flips a switch, dropping the floor out from under Luke, who falls into a pool of water and sinks out of sight.] That should take care of that. No, wait, he's climbing out. Great!

- Heh, can't keep a good man down! And I can swim FYI. [his cell phone rings and he answers it] Yeah, Jess? You, Colleen, Misty, and Trish rescued the Princess already? Guess it's mission accomplished then! What about Danny?

[Iron Fist is thrown out a nearby window with a long drop below]

- AUGH!!!!

- Sweet Christmas, I gotta help him! You earn a free pass for now, shell brain! [leaps after his partner]

- Phew! Guess the boss is ok! Rocky, how's it going with the other guy?

- I wish to God he'd shut up! [throws another wrench at Deadpool, who dodges]

- Come on, laugh! I'm making all sorts of great jokes here! It's not my fault the author can't think of any of them on his end!

- Hey, you said Toad was paying you, right? Did he pay you to rescue the Princess or kick our rear end?

- I don't remember! Maybe I'll just do both!

- Or you could see if our boss would pay you better. He has way more gold coins than Toad, you know.

- He does? Hang on a sec! [Deadpool runs out of the room, then runs back in before Lakitu can catch his breath.] Whoa! Your boss is a giant firebreathing dragon turtle man? No way am I fighting that at Toad's going rate! See ya! [Deadpool flees the castle]

- Phew again! Let's help Joey, Rocky, then I can write my next update.

- Got a first aid kit right here.

- See you fans a few updates from now! [waves]

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If I remember my Kamigawa block MTG correctly, a jitte is like a sai (the weapon that Raphael uses in Ninja Turtles) except split in half. The short side has a blade, but the long part is more rounded off for defensive purposes.

Why they used that weapon to represent an attack where you literally throw money away, I have no idea.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Heiji was a fictional detective famous for defeating his enemies with his signature thrown coin.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

And the jitte ended up becoming the main symbol of the police during the Edo period. So Heiji's Jitte is the badge of office of a fictional officer famous for throwing coins at people.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

If it's a badge, then that makes more sense as an item enabling a character to throw coins than the actual weapon.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Zenigata Heiji, specifically. Took me a bit to find that amidst all the anime references.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
A jitte is a weapon that evolved from the need for palace retainers to be armed without giving them actual bladed weapons.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Thanks for the explanations. I never heard of Jitte or Zenigata Heiji before now. Zenigata from Lupin, I knew. "Coin Toss" is still a better name for an international release.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

achtungnight posted:

Thanks for the explanations. I never heard of Jitte or Zenigata Heiji before now. Zenigata from Lupin, I knew. "Coin Toss" is still a better name for an international release.

Well, it says exactly what it does in the description. Why does the name also have to be descriptive? I mean, otherwise instead of Dragoon Boots we'd have Multijump Boots, Nate's Steal -> Mug accessory'd be Attack While Stealing, etc.

DayoDayo
Apr 23, 2016

"Then again, I've been spending that time with my wife and daughter, so I don't feel bad."

- sorry we kept him away so long!!

-leavemywife's, wife. Woops.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

achtungnight posted:

Zenigata Heiji was actually one of the main inspirations for Inspector Zenigata, actually! :eng101:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm sure someone around here will swoop in to defend Jack, and I'd love to hear it. If you have a secret strategy for making him amazing, I'd like to know it.

You just do whatever with him. I typically have him Dispatch ad nauseam in trash battles and cast with everyone else in boss fights, more or less. And he's always in my party when I have the option because I like him as a character.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Thirty Four: The Sealed Gate

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we started the cave to the Sealed Gate, and took a break about halfway through. Today, we're going to finish off the cave and see the poo poo hit the fan, so let's roll.

When I chose Jack as party leader, I didn't realize Explosionface liked him enough to always keep him around.

Had I known that, I would have vetoed the vote that brought Jack into the party. Or not made him party leader.

Flipping the other switch summoned a man from the sky, and now we're going to kick his rear end.

The Ninja can be extremely dangerous.

For starters, he has access to the different elemental scrolls that we could have bought for Bowser, and they all hit the entire party.

He is weak to Lightning and Holy elemental attacks, though, not that I remembered that when I was fighting him.

I was going to try and show off Trance in this fight, but Pog and Mowgli were having none of this guy's poo poo.

Trance makes Terra transform into her Esper form, doubling her magic damage.

It lasts until the green bar drains, so it's not a permanent effect, but it's powerful enough, you'll get your money's worth.

The Ninja has 1,650 HP, so Pog just about half-killed him here.

Mowgli followed it up with Aqua Breath, and did the other half-killing necessary to take him out.

If the Ninja is hit with a normal attack, he has a chance to counter with Stealth, an ability which grants him Vanish status, making all physical attacks miss, until attacked by a magic attack, which destroys the invisibility.

He's worth 694 EXP and 520 Gil, and will rarely drop a Fuma Shuriken, which is a very strong throwing item.

Every time I see a no written out using more than a single "o", I always hear it like you would in slow motion.

You might think you know which staircase he's talking about, and you don't. Unless you do, but for purposes of this update, let's say you don't.

And, before I forget, we're going to check out Trance.

A pair of Zombie Dragons were kind enough to volunteer for this demonstration.

And since they're weak to Fire, I'm having Terra ready a Trance-enhanced Fira.

They only have 1,991 HP. Terra blasted both of these poor undead for twice their maximum HP, and that's with the damage split between the two.

In short, Trance is pretty damned good, and if you have her in your party during a boss fight, there's basically no reason not to have her Trance out and lay into the boss. Or if you're in an encounter and you're just tired of their poo poo.

That switch sprouts a staircase over to the right, and it's below these stairs that the treasures sit.

It's not that chest, either. They're hidden on the floor, invisible.

Speaking of invisibility, if we ever have Bowser in our party again, he can use ninja trickery to turn everyone invisible! :toot:

Around here, we can also pick up 293 Gil, a Gold Needle and a Water Scroll.

Nothing absolutely essential, but free stuff is free stuff.

Moving through a hidden wall passage, I'm getting a flashback to Secret of Evermore.

Ooh, a switch!

Ooh, stairs!

...Aww, man.

However, there is some good loot over here.

There's another Magicite Shard and a Hi-Ether in this room, as well as a new weapon.

Seems a little early for an Ultima Weapon, but who am I to complain?

:eyepop:

Quickly, to battle!

Omigod, it looks like a lightsaber!

...The gently caress is this poo poo?

It's the Ultima Weapon's gimmick! You might have noticed in the weapon description, it said the blade's power was tied to the wielder's HP, and that is absolutely true. The higher your HP, as well as the more of it you have, affects the blade's damage. With enough HP, you can have those who can use it dealing 9,999 damage a hit, but as they start taking damage, that goes down. Combined with a certain relic combination, we can deal 79,992 damage in one action, but that will come much later.

With some switch fuckery here, the islands and bridges will move, forming a path to continue forward with.

Ugh. Maybe I'll use one of these. If you guys ask nicely.

This is it. This is the end of the cave. Beyond that is the Sealed Gate, and the world of the Espers.

How the gently caress did Madeline just stumble upon this?

I mean, I've been lost while on foot before, but I've never wound up in front of a secret entrance to a brand new world; I just walked into the ghetto and got directions from a crackhead.

Though, I think that gate was put up after Madeline came around.

I think I called her Madonna in the last update. I'm not always good at remembering new names when old games get retranslated.

Incredibly, the oldest member of the party, who has presumably seen some poo poo, and is too old for this poo poo, is the only one to comment. I'd think at least Terra would be spooked out, since this is half of her origin. Mowgli grew up with all sorts of scary poo poo around him, so he's probably whatevs about it, and Pog...I don't know. He seems pretty chill, very Zen.

There was an LP of Parasite Eve where the LP'er mentioned he imagines fart noises every time he sees "...", and I can't stop doing that. I think I've mentioned it before, and I think it's still funny.

Never mind that we didn't discuss how you were going to open the gate!

I hope there's a knocker or something. Maybe in the shape of Bahamut, so the sound really reaches.

That dog-faced prick!?

...What about the sieges on Narshe and the burning of Figaro Castle? I mean, if you had just given her over, would you have wasted the men and resources needed to do that?

Oh, but we have business with you!

This is another fake fight with Kefka; you can tell by him being in sprite form.

It's symbolic, you see. It's us holding him off while Terra does whatever.

And just how will we do that?

Mowgli is going to poke him in the face really hard.

Pog was getting ready to dance, while Jack was going to slash him to ribbons.

Just one attack. :shrug:

Dear God, Terra is...Doing something!

"I have dialed the sacred number of 867-5309..."

: Jenny? Did you change that number?

Just then, a sudden wind picks up...

The Last Jedi is a pretty cool title, I'll admit.

Oh, what could--

BY THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO

Uh...What the hell is that? He looks like a Murray.

Okay, Fenrir, I know him.

snek you is givin me a fright

And there goes Kefka!

The hand you could see belonged to another Shiva.

Kirin? I think? I don't summon these fuckers often enough to recognize most of them.

At least the others are okay!

Or not.

I'd guess some place that is probably proper hosed right now.

And just like that, we're set to get on outta here.

A new door has appeared, one that lets us out into the first room, so it's easy to get out of here.

Still nothing going on here.

But we're greeted at the entrance by Nathan.

I didn't even know most of them could fly, honestly.

You don't say! Horrific beasts from another dimension show up and they want to get out of Dodge and you don't get why?

Because we're going the opposite way, finding a nice spot to lay low, and playing canasta until things have calmed down.

...Vector.

Even better! That saves us one rear end kicking to give out.

Why are we going there!?

We wanted the Espers help to fight the Empire, and they're off doing their part. Let 'em go!

: They're getting closer...

: You can feel what?

: There! A flash!

: What was that!? It couldn't be...The espers!? They're coming this way! Terra, watch out!

Bahamut rolls up and lets loose a greasy ripper.

Nathan hops across the bridge and body slams Han out of the way of an angry, flying horse-like creature.

I think that's Phantom. I'm not sure what he's going to do, since his only real offensive spell is Gravity.

In the Japanese, if I'm reading it right, they are known as the Genju, or Phantom Beasts. That's kind of a badass name.

: No...You mustn't go...Please, don't go!

: More importantly, why are we shaking? Is it because of the Espers?

: Uhh...Han? I've lost control of the ship!!!

How bad can it be?

...Oh, that's bad.

Oh, poo poo.

poo poo poo poo poo poo

Quick, call Sully, we're landing in water!

...Well, this has grown exponentially worse.

Slightly better.

That's sand, if you were wondering. We're about to hit a desert.

I'm not going to do the lame, "Well, we're dead, goodbye folks!" joke. I do that enough.

Instead, I'll wish you all a fond farewell, and I'll hope you come back next time. Until then, peace be with you, and goodnight.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Holy poo poo, he lives.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I suppose this is why they sent Kefka?

"Hello, peons, we're here to kill you all and drain your powers for the glory of BWOASHIT"

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I want to see you use a Magicite Shard.

When you use it, you'll probably get Purifier; that's what happened to me the first and only time I ever used one.

Would be an interesting thing for the thread to see, if it happened.

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?

Weeble posted:

I want to see you use a Magicite Shard.

When you use it, you'll probably get Purifier; that's what happened to me the first and only time I ever used one.

Would be an interesting thing for the thread to see, if it happened.

The only time I ever used a Magicite Shard, it summoned a very special endgame esper that obliterated both the enemies and my entire party.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Fudge Handsome posted:

The only time I ever used a Magicite Shard, it summoned a very special endgame esper that obliterated both the enemies and my entire party.

Yeah, that happened to me too the first time I used a magicite shard as a kid.....

I was like - what the gently caress?

Then I was like - WHAT THE gently caress!!

Never used Magicite shards again.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The first time I ever saw Terra's Morph was playing somebody else's save on a rental copy; whatever stat governed how long she stayed Morphed was unbelievably low, to the point where she didn't get a move off before unmorphing. That was the last time I Morphed with her ever...though I don't really use Terra that much v:v:v

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

oldskool posted:

The first time I ever saw Terra's Morph was playing somebody else's save on a rental copy; whatever stat governed how long she stayed Morphed was unbelievably low, to the point where she didn't get a move off before unmorphing. That was the last time I Morphed with her ever...though I don't really use Terra that much v:v:v

I was always under the impression that the time Terra had to be in Morph was how many battles she'd fought in. Build it up and spend it when you need it. Naturally I never used it because I might have needed it later!

Speaking of rental games, before I ever had my own copy I'd rent the game just about every weekend when I could from the video store. Naturally any save I had was usually gone so I'd just start over. There was one time, however, that I noticed a save with unique names. Someone had renamed every character with a derogatory curse word, except for Cyan. He was Mr. T.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 1, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

UnwiseTrout posted:

I was always under the impression that the time Terra had to be in Morph was how many battles she'd fought in. Build it up and spend it when you need it. Naturally I never used it because I might have needed it later!

Yup...that's more or less right.

Though I think it's less "how many battles she's been in" and more "how long it's been since the last morph in battle or not".

Might be wrong....can't 100% remember.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

From what I've read, it's based on the amount of AP she's earned, which affects the length. You can bank up to 255. If I'm wrong correct me, but I think that's how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Leavemywife posted:

When I chose Jack as party leader, I didn't realize Explosionface liked him enough to always keep him around.

Had I known that, I would have vetoed the vote that brought Jack into the party. Or not made him party leader.

I see how it is, you jerk! :argh:

• Locked thread