Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's not great and the game balance is garbage to non-existent. Of all those early games (Spellfire, Redemption, etc) Wyvern has probably the worst reputation of all of them. This is impressive since this includes Towers in Time, a game that for all intents and purposes has no rulebook (arguments exist over whether one ever existed or not).

And Spellfire had no resource system and I don't recall there being any balance as such. So...yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

malkav11 posted:

And Spellfire had no resource system and I don't recall there being any balance as such. So...yeah.

The resource system was real world money you were willing to spend on packs, so in that way it was ahead of its time.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

It's not great and the game balance is garbage to non-existent. Of all those early games (Spellfire, Redemption, etc) Wyvern has probably the worst reputation of all of them. This is impressive since this includes Towers in Time, a game that for all intents and purposes has no rulebook (arguments exist over whether one ever existed or not).

That's a shame to hear, but I'll still give the game a fair shot either way once the cards arrive. I like a lot of the concepts that I had read in the rules (starting with high resources that dwindle, hidden information, etc.), though seeing how they play out in reality will be something else.

Who knows, even if the game sucks maybe I'll get ridiculously lucky and end up finding one of those misprinted Fallen Empires cards in the pack?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Did anyone here ever play TSRs Blood Wars, based on the Planescape setting? I bought a couple of decks new and would play hours and hours with my brother. I still pick up the occasional sealed deck from eBay now and then.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

BGrifter posted:

If I remember correctly that was the one where all the core characters were super rare and powerful, so if you've got Vader/Luke/Leia/Han it might be worth taking a look. They printed lovely versions of them they gave away for free later when they realized making all the characters people know super rare was dumb.

Yeah, in the later non promo sets also they got better about rarity, making good versions of the main characters that were only as rare as a normal rare.

Star Wars CCG was a baller game despite Decipher's awful design disciplines.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That kinda describes all of Decipher's CCGs. LOTR was really fun as long as you didn't use any of the busted bullshit that came out after the end of the RotK block.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Decipher LotR is a CCG players CCG. So much of that game is tied up in really deep and strange conceptual meta strategies and really bizarre combo decks, it's a really fascinating game but utterly impenetrable to a lay person.

I guess the same could be said for MECCG as well, but that game is, if anything, even more obtuse. It may be the single most arcane CCG ever printed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's been a while, but you could probably do a sort of rock-paper-scissors primer.

The real difficulty was that this was an era when Decipher refused to ban cards, they just printed hosers instead. (See also: Star Trek.)

I remember making an RotK Sauron Archery deck that my playing partner said was a strategy she'd never really seen before. (It also didn't hurt that I shot her hobbits to death while my Men kept narrowly surviving attacks by her Ringwraiths).

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Bumping because the Final Fantasy card game is... out. Sort of. My LGS got two boxes of starters (only FFX and FF7) and two boxes of boosters and sold out within hours.

The store just got notice that although starters should be available mid-late December, boosters won't be available until February. Way to kill a game's momentum. The kids who were excited about the game are planning to bury their heads back into whatever is the current Bushiroad flavor of the week.

The game looked like the standard mis-translated shell of a card game that Bushiroad likes to churn out bi-monthly anyway, so no big loss.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

I wasn't interested in it myself, but can confirm these distribution/stock issues. My nearest LGS that ordered some didn't even get half of what they actually ordered. They only got one display of each Starter, so four of each, and four Booster Boxes.

Either this was meant to be some lovely artificial demand situation, or they actually severely underestimated how much demand and interest there was in the game's launch. But in either case, if the February expectation ends up being true, what a way to shoot the game in the foot at launch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If All The Bravest is any indication, Squeenix has no qualms whatsoever about hamhanded attempts to cash in on the diehard fans being willing to throw absolutely absurd piles of money at anything with Final Fantasy on it, and they're very good at it.

What I'm saying is that I expect someone made a mistake that's resulted in this stock issues, and they've probably been fired so hard that they're still in the burn ward.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
No FF6, 9, or Tactics? Celes la vie.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

No FF6, 9, or Tactics? Celes la vie.

There's cards from every game in there, it's just that only three games have starters. From what I'm told, you just build based on the best cards in whatever colors you want, and while characters from the same game often have some light synergy, you just ignore the game they're from for the most part.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tell me about UFS.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

The Hunter

Gladly.

The Universal Fighting System is a Collectible Card Game that has gone through a bit of a rocky publishing history, but still perseveres to this day thanks in part to a loyal playerbase.

Originally published by Sabertooth Games, and currently published by Jasco Games, UFS is a card game in which you build a deck around a character of your choice from various Fighting Game properties, as well as other licenses and original IPs. Some current examples include Mega Man, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, and Level99 Games' World of Indines.

The flow of gameplay is fairly simple. At the start of your turn, you have your upkeep stuff. Everything untaps/readys, you can choose to discard ONE card from your hand, then you draw back up to your hand size. You can then play cards from your hand to either build your Staging Area, or attack to try and deal damage. If you attack, both players can Enhance the current attack, and then the opponent can attempt to block it with a card from their hand. A player's turn continues until they try to play a card, and fail, or they choose to end their turn.

In the game, there are five types of cards: Characters, Attacks, Foundations, Assets, and Actions. Of these, the first three are the most important.

Characters:

The character you choose is the foundation from which you will build your deck. Your choice of Character will determine a few things for you:

- Hand Size (i.e. How many cards you draw up to at the start of your turn)
- Maximum Vitality (Your HP can not go above this total without special effects)
- Resource Symbols (Cards you play must share at least 1 of your Character's Symbols)

All cards in the game have a Difficulty (top left) and Control Value (bottom right), as well as a number of Resource Symbols. There are 12 different Resource Symbols, and a special Infinity symbol. Your Character starts the game outside of your deck in the Staging Area. Think of it like your Commander. While you can't summon it, your Character's effects will always be a factor in the game.

Foundations:

Foundations are both your main resource, and your primary source of effects. When you play a Foundation into your Card Pool, you just play it and move on to your next card. At the end of your turn, any successfully played Foundations go down to the Staging Area.

When in the Staging Area, you may use their various effects when applicable. Different effects may have different costs, but the most common cost on a Foundation is to Commit/Tap the card. Foundations (and your Character) can also be committed to make up for a failed Control Check. I'll explain how Control Checks are made later.

Attacks:

While Foundations are your main source of effects, Attacks are your main source of damage (what a surprise :v:).

In addition to the Difficulty and Control values, all attacks will also have a Speed Value, Damage Value, and a Attack Zone of either High, Mid, or Low. The higher the Speed, the harder it is to block. The higher the damage, the harder it hits. Attacks will usually also have their own abilities that may be played when applicable, usually during it's own Enhance Step.

When an Attack is played, instead of moving on to the next card, you enter what is called the Enhance Step. During this step, both players may play Enhance (E:) abilities on cards in their Staging Area, one at a time. The Attacker may play one, then the defender, then the attacker, and so on. This continues until both players choose to pass in succession. Afterwards, the defender may attempt to block the attack with any card in their had that has a Block (top right). Any card can have a block, but not all do. Blocking will be explained later.

Assets:

Assets are played exactly the same as Foundations are. You play them, and move on. Assets are essentially Foundations with more potent effects. To balance that out, they can not be committed to make up for failed Control Checks. Otherwise, they basically function exactly the same.

Actions:

These are the cards that can literally do anything. The effects of any given Action will determine when you can play it. You may play one during an Attack's Enhance Step, you may play one to respond to something happening. You may play one when you would play an Attack or Foundation, you may use an ability after blocking with it.

Actions are the most varied card type in the game, that's really all there is to them.

Your Deck and Control Checks:

In the Standard format, your Deck Size is a minimum of 60 Cards, including your Character. You may have no more than 4 copies of any card in your Deck and Sideboard combined. You may have a Sideboard of exactly 8 Cards, or no Sideboard.

Whenever you attempt to play a card from your hand into the Card Pool, you have to make a Control Check to see if the card is successfully played. To do so, you discard the top card of your deck and compare that card's Control Value to the total Difficulty of the card you are attempting to play. If the discarded card's Control Value is equal or greater than the Difficulty of the card you are attempting to play, the Check is successful and the card is successfully played. If the Control Value is lower than the Difficulty, the check fails, but if you have ready Foundations in your Staging Area, you may commit a number of Foundations equal to the difference between the Difficulty and Control Value to make the Check successful.

For example, if I check a 3 Control when playing a card with a Difficulty of 5, the difference there is 2. So, I can either commit 2 Foundations, or let the Control Check fail.

Also, cards don't leave the Card Pool until the end of a player's turn. So, as you play more cards, it gets harder to play them due to Progressive Difficulty. Basically, you add +1 to the Difficulty of any card you attempt to play for every card already in your Card Pool.

Blocks, Block Zones, and Blocking:

If you look in the top right corner of any card, you will either see nothing there, or you will see a Block. Blocks, like attacks themselves, have Block Zones of High, Mid, and Low. They will also have a +Number inside the Circle or Shield, this is the Block Modifier.

To block an opponent's attack, after the Enhance Step ends, you may play a Block from your hand that is either the same zone as the attack (Mid Block to Mid Attack, etc.), or one zone off of the attack (High Block to Mid Attack, etc.). Take the Soeed of the attack being played, then add the Block's Modifier, and any applicable Progressive Difficulty. You then make a Control Check against that combined total.

If the block is of the same zone as the attack, the attack is Fully Blocked and no damage is taken. If the block is one zone off of the attack's zone, the attack is Partially Blocked and you take half damage, rounded up.

You can't block a High Attack with a Low Block, and you can't block a Low Attack with a High Block. A Mid Block can block any attack, and a Mid Attack can be blocked by any block.

Decking Out and Cycling the Deck:

Due to how you are constantly discarding cards from your deck, you may be wondering what happens when your deck runs out of cards.

The moment your deck has 0 cards, all game effects freeze. You then take your discard pile, and shuffle it up to make your new deck. After it's been shuffled, you then take the top 10 cards of your deck, and remove them from play. After the cards have been removed, play resumes. This process is known as Cycling. If you would not be able to remove 10 cards when cycling your deck, you lose.

The Formats, and "The Coolest Prize in Gaming"

There are four main formats, as well as Drafts.

- Standard consists of the 10 most recently released sets, and is always changing. When a new set comes out, the oldest Standard legal set rotates out. If a card from a rotated set has been reprinted, the original printing is still legal.
- Extended adds more sets to the legal card pool, but cuts off at Fantasy Flight Games' first set, Shadowar. None of the Sabertooth Games sets are legal in Extended.
- Legacy is the format in which every set is legal. This is not a fun format. Degeneracy is the name of the game here. Legacy is also no longer a supported format. Do not play Legacy.
- Turbo is a newer format that consists of only the four most recent sets. Deck size is limited to 41 Cards total. When you cycle your deck, you only remove the top 5 cards of your deck.
- Drafting in UFS is more expensive than other games due to not using a generic resource. You take 6 Packs, and draft your packs like you would in any other game. Minimum deck size is 40 Cards, and there is no limit to the copies of any given card in your deck. Cycling is 5 Cards, just like Turbo.

Lastly, if you look carefully at some of the cards I have posted images of as examples, you may notice something interesting about them below the card effects. If you win either Nationals or Worlds, in Singles or Teams, you get your own card made.

Win in Standard at Nationals or Worlds, and you get your own Character card. Win in Teams, and your Team gets an Asset. Winning your own Foundation or Action required winning Extended or Legacy.

Champion Attacks will never be made.

----------

If you're curious about the game or have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll likely be expanding upon this to make a UFS thread in the near future. Probably around the release of Street Fighter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This sounds amazing.

Tell me about set differences. What makes playing a Mega Man-set deck distinct compared to playing a Mortal Kombat-set one?

Is there a LackeyCCG module? What about OCTGN?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 24, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

How has UFS been since Jasco took over? When Sabertooth was in charge it was a shitshow of inconsistent rulings and power creep, has that changed much? It's why I quit (I was an early adopter and even became one of their organised play ambassadors for a couple months before all the local players abandoned it).

OCTGN has a module, I think it's semi official as there's a thread on the Jasco forums about it and the mods haven't locked it: http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/showthread.php?3262-Major-UFS-OCTGN-update-and-new-ftp-are-up

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Zark the Damned posted:

How has UFS been since Jasco took over? When Sabertooth was in charge it was a shitshow of inconsistent rulings and power creep, has that changed much? It's why I quit (I was an early adopter and even became one of their organised play ambassadors for a couple months before all the local players abandoned it).

OCTGN has a module, I think it's semi official as there's a thread on the Jasco forums about it and the mods haven't locked it: http://forums.jascogames.com/forums/showthread.php?3262-Major-UFS-OCTGN-update-and-new-ftp-are-up

The UFS powercreep basically evened out after the first KoF set. The first few SF sets are really bad save a few cards that are so abusable they needed to be banned but I'd say post the first KoF/SamSho set things were pretty stable. The current scene is pretty rocky just because the current publisher is basically being run out of the back of a game store but the recent set balance has been OK at least.

Poison Mushroom posted:

This sounds amazing.

Tell me about set differences. What makes playing a Mega Man-set deck distinct compared to playing a Mortal Kombat-set one?

That's a really really deep question. More than basically every CCG ever made UFS is a CCG players CCG. It's a game that assumes you have a reasonable command of CCG concepts and can look at a card and immediately parse it's place in relation to other cards re: tempo and playstyle. You don't really play a deck that's totally focused on cards from one set, instead you look at your character card and then assess what cards across all viable sets are good for that card. And while your character might have core cards from their set that are very good with them (they assuredly will) you also should expect to dip into other places. You might play a character from Str eet Fighter that uses mostly moves from King of Fighters for instance (Guile, for instance, has much better options in sets that aren't SF ones).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's a really really deep question. More than basically every CCG ever made UFS is a CCG players CCG. It's a game that assumes you have a reasonable command of CCG concepts and can look at a card and immediately parse it's place in relation to other cards re: tempo and playstyle. You don't really play a deck that's totally focused on cards from one set, instead you look at your character card and then assess what cards across all viable sets are good for that card. And while your character might have core cards from their set that are very good with them (they assuredly will) you also should expect to dip into other places. You might play a character from Str eet Fighter that uses mostly moves from King of Fighters for instance (Guile, for instance, has much better options in sets that aren't SF ones).
Allow me to rephrase.

What are the relative power levels of the different sets? If I have imperfect card knowledge, and want to dip my toe in by building a deck that only uses cards from one IP, which would be the best choice for that? Mega Man gives me the most interest flavor-wise (is there Protoman and is he good?), but I could be talked in other directions.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Poison Mushroom posted:

Allow me to rephrase.

What are the relative power levels of the different sets? If I have imperfect card knowledge, and want to dip my toe in by building a deck that only uses cards from one IP, which would be the best choice for that? Mega Man gives me the most interest flavor-wise (is there Protoman and is he good?), but I could be talked in other directions.

The best choices for a (Standard legal) single IP deck right now are Mega Man and probably Indines. Mostly due to amount of sets for Mega Man (3), and Indines being a "Starters" set where it consisted of four Turbo format decks, and a pool of Rares that came with each deck.

Protoman is in the game, and has two different versions (* from the Protoman tin, and ** in Rise of the Masters).

If you compare the Mega Man tins and the newest MM set, Battle for Power, most cards in BfP are much more powerful. Part of this is some power creep and design philosophy shifts, but another part is that the decks made for the MM tins were designed to be simpler/more straightforward to help ease players in.

To learn the game, using the Mega Man starter deck from the tin isn't a bad idea. It's abilities are fairly simple and not too complex, but there are no Actions or Assets in the deck. just Attacks and Foundations. His character card has two abilities:

- Commit him to give your Ranged attack +4 Damage
- Discard a card to commit one of your opponent's Foundations

He's all about the Ranged Keyword. Your deck will pretty much be nothing but Ranged Attacks. But he also gives a bit of a control option by being able to commit a foundation of your choice, but at a sizable cost.

Once you understand how the game plays/flows/works, the Protoman deck from his tin is also a good option, and has a lot of options to expand upon it. Protoman* has two abilities as well:

- Once per turn, you can discard one card from your Card Pool.
- You can discard one Momentum to make it so if you block the current attack at all, you take no damage.

Protoman* is all about playing cards into your Card Pool, and then discarding them from it after they've resolved. This keeps your Progressive Difficulty lower thanks to less cards sticking around. Some of his cards' abilities key off of cards being discarded from the Card Pool.

One of the major things about the game though is how many cards each character gets in a set. Typically, each character in a set will get the following cards as their own support:

- Character Card
- An Action or Asset
- 3 Attacks
- 4 Foundations

Characters that get a Starter Deck will usually have double the support, but to get it, you buy the Starter Deck since most of a Starter character's cards are Starter Exclusive.

There aren't many characters where you can build a decent deck using only that character's cards. That list right now is pretty much just Mega Man and Protoman. Morrigan and Lilith also qualify, but they benefit a lot off of cards that aren't their own. The reason for that is that they're the characters that had Tins released for them. Those tins had a deck for that character that had nothing but cards for that character, but also had three additional Characters as promos, and three packs of a Mini-Set tied to that license. Of those characters, only Protoman and Mega Man have multiple versions. Protoman has two, and Mega Man has three, along with a second Starter Deck in Rise of the Masters.

If you'd like to take a look at all the different cards, the best resource for the game would be UFS Ultra. It's a fairly well maintained Card Database. Just click the Standard button and/or choose which sets you'd like to look at, or it will give you cards all the way back to the Sabertooth days.

Zark the Damned posted:

It's been much better than the Dark Ages of Sabertooth.

While there was a period of dormancy during the Mega Man Board Game Kickstarter fulfillment, they finally seem to be getting to a normalized schedule. The next set, Red Horizon - Blood Omen, will be releasing in about two weeks. And the first Jasco-era Street Fighter set should be launching in February/March. Mortal Kombat and Cowboy Bebop are in the pipeline to be released after SF, and probably a 4th Red Horizon set, and a 3rd Darkstalkers set.

Hopefully there will be a 4th Mega Man set that uses the Stardroids since Capcom DID approve their use for Mega Man Pixel Tactics.

On power creep, well, the current design philosophy is to have games actually end around Turn 4-5. It currently seems a bit lopsided towards aggression at the moment, but as more sets come out that were designed with that philosophy, things will balance out.

Also, the "being run out the back of a Game Store" thing hasn't really been true for a while. Yeah, Jasco originally started as just a LGS in Texas that bought the rights to UFS to try and save it. Since then, they've moved their operations to Las Vegas and have grown enough to be able to get the licenses they have.

Volfogg fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 25, 2016

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Yessssss! I was hoping more people would be getting into UFS soon. I demoed it at Gen Con and came away with the two Mega Man tins.

When I play the base Mega Man deck against the base Proto Man deck I lose every time. Is there some card combo or overall strategy that I'm misunderstanding or is the match up really lopsided? Maybe I'm playing too passively?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If anyone wants to set up OCTGN and hit me up on Skype or Discord or whatever, I wouldn't mind learning.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

Fresh out of the tins, Proto1 will almost always beat Mega1. Even with light modification, Proto1 will usually be winning more often. This is partially due to having the extra card, but also due to his own support just working so well.

Air is pretty much his best symbol since you get access to so many good options, but it also helps that his own support all synergizes so well with itself. On the flip side, Mega1's support is fairly generic in that it's pretty much just Ranged attack support.

If you want to beat Proto1 with just the Mega Man tin starter, you will need to be more aggressive when you can be. Otherwise, if you want to stick with Mega Man, I'd suggest grabbing the Mega Man starter from Rise of the Masters and just supplementing that with some of the tin's cards.

Poison Mushroom posted:

If anyone wants to set up OCTGN and hit me up on Skype or Discord or whatever, I wouldn't mind learning.

I should be getting a new laptop soon, so once that happens, I'd gladly help you out with this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Totally in-character. Mega Man's supposed to steal a bunch of other people's powers, and then use them to kick asses.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My friends and I played Spellfire in high school, until two of us started buying a ton of packs and made decks way better than everyone else. The last set I bought into (this was 2000-2002 so the game was, I think, dead and buried) used photos of Larpers and really bad CGI. I think it was Nightstalkers?

I sold the cards several years ago to a collector after they sat in my closet forever. How bad was the game? I remember the Living Wall card seeming very powerful.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My friends and I played Spellfire in high school, until two of us started buying a ton of packs and made decks way better than everyone else. The last set I bought into (this was 2000-2002 so the game was, I think, dead and buried) used photos of Larpers and really bad CGI. I think it was Nightstalkers?

I sold the cards several years ago to a collector after they sat in my closet forever. How bad was the game? I remember the Living Wall card seeming very powerful.

It literally has no balancing mechanisms. Like, if you have the best cards you can just play them whenever you want. It did have a killer marketing gimmick for a while where you could send them in 60 of any magic cards and they would give you a spellfire starter.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

It literally has no balancing mechanisms. Like, if you have the best cards you can just play them whenever you want. It did have a killer marketing gimmick for a while where you could send them in 60 of any magic cards and they would give you a spellfire starter.

I remember begging my mom to buy me Spellfire cards because due to the marketing gimmick and me having just gotten into Magic, I thought it was somehow related to Magic. Once I opened the starter I realized otherwise, and then after a friend and I scratched our heads at the rulebook we went back to trying to trade for Shivan Dragons. I think the game was infamous for having really confusing rules.

Edit: While I'm at it, the Final Fantasy card game is pretty bad. If you're really jonesing for another card game that cribs its core gameplay solely off of Magic's combat phase, you can do better unless you really want to look at cards with Final Fantasy characters on them. Play characters, attack, block, deal damage. There's also the fact that if you're using UltraPro sleeves, the little hologram on the front covers the first number in the card's power. I think card game designers should probably design around one of the largest, if not the largest, sleeve manufacturer in the world.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 2, 2016

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Whatever happened to the Alpha Investments guy? Is he still spending like $50k on trying to scalp boxes of paper and ink?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I read through the thread and it made me miss playing L5R, anyone looking to get rid of their cards so I can travel back in time when I used to play it? I did also discover the Sun and Moon client which is amazingly well done for a L5R client. http://www.hwstn.com/sunandmoon/ Which surprise, surprise has 0 people playing.

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I haven't played L5R in actual literal years, but I remember I've got my decklists for a Lion and a Crane deck sitting around somewhere.

Somewhat relatedly, one of my friends got really, really into rereading LotR, so I'm busting out the old TCG for us because reasons. Trying to design a pair of decks that aren't particularly good, but are interesting and play off each other well. If I don't have much luck with that, I'll probably just get together some of the starter decks and we can play with those, but that's not as fun.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
While I've never played L5R, I do know that Fantasy Flight picked up the license for it and is apparently releasing it as an lcg at gencon this year.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I bought some UFS stuff because of this thread, and because I am a shameful nerd.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

PMush Perfect posted:

Whatever happened to the Alpha Investments guy? Is he still spending like $50k on trying to scalp boxes of paper and ink?

He makes something like 15k a month from Patreon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

He makes something like 15k a month from Patreon.
:cripes:

I loving hate nerds.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anyone want 7th Sea or Battletech cards?

I've got a few sealed booster boxes for 7th Sea and a 4k (I think?) box of bsttletech. If there's any interest I'll see what is what.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

The Hunter

food court bailiff posted:

I bought some UFS stuff because of this thread, and because I am a shameful nerd.

If you have any questions about the cards, feel free to ask. What did you pick up?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm a huge Mega Man dork so I got the MM tin and the Wily starter deck. I'll probably get the Rock deck and Proto Man tin in the near future as well, provided I don't hate the game....and then I'll probably buy some Indines stuff because I hate money and love crossover fights.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

While I've never played L5R, I do know that Fantasy Flight picked up the license for it and is apparently releasing it as an lcg at gencon this year.

Yeah and I will most likely pick it up, I crave the old card game. I haven't played in years but you know, nostalgia and all. I also miss Battletech mini's.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Anyone want 7th Sea or Battletech cards?

I've got a few sealed booster boxes for 7th Sea and a 4k (I think?) box of bsttletech. If there's any interest I'll see what is what.

I might be interested, depending on price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Flaggy posted:

Yeah and I will most likely pick it up, I crave the old card game. I haven't played in years but you know, nostalgia and all. I also miss Battletech mini's.

I picked up L5R a year after it came out, and dang it was fun. It was the first CCG that was really optimized for multiplayer games.

I was looking through the recent cards just now, and... holy poo poo, it's practically a whole new game.

• Locked thread