Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Who did the Gaia Gear designs? They're great!

Gaia Gear is my crazy wish to see in a SRW game, now that Hathaway's Flash made it in. They'd need to come up with the animations, but they've already got a great cast and great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3TqH0iEc0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Info circulating on 2ch's gamerobo says:

quote:

弊社プレイステーション4(PS4)用ソフト/プレイステーションヴィータ(PS Vita)用ソフト「スーパーロボット大戦V」の件につき、
本製品では、PS4版とPS Vita版ともにBGMを変更する機能に対応しております。

その際、お客様がご用意されたMP3の楽曲に変更する事も可能となっております。

Custom BGM seems to be in SRW V for both the PS4 and PS Vita.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Oh thank god.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

But I thought they removed the ability to put mp3s directly onto the PS4?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Hunter Noventa posted:

But I thought they removed the ability to put mp3s directly onto the PS4?

From what I've read, it can be done if you have the mp3s in a plugged usb drive.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Now I'm hoping that there is something like maximum break attacks so I have an excuse to suddenly cut to a random JAM Project song.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's weird that G Gen Genesis keeps giving free really powerful MSs as DLC. Normal free equipment DLC or an RPG or something is entry-level stuff.

If I had to guess, it's because they're targeting the DLC at the devoted folks who've been playing since release and are working through the harder difficulties where not having end of ZZ/Unicorn-tier suits is a straight up liability.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ryoga posted:

Now I'm hoping that there is something like maximum break attacks so I have an excuse to suddenly cut to a random JAM Project song.

My Maximum Break will always remain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJQyGbv0oZ8

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you think about it, the theme song of all scifi anime.

edit: it would be nice if it had a per-unit random rotation of tracks.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 31, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If I did custom BGM I'm not sure whether I'd use which the most of; Gorillaz, Dethklok, or David Bowie

All are pretty tempting

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
For me, "Grungust Zan!" is definitely getting a run in V.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

My best friend and I tried to sneak Hokuto Musou music in where we could. As such the Maximum Break BGM was this:

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=cSVQ-SfLNj4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

For me, "Grungust Zan!" is definitely getting a run in V.

You're not the only one.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So for someone going into srw v from GGG, how similar/different is it? Will I recognize the mechanics or will it be like playing a totally different game?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

So for someone going into srw v from GGG, how similar/different is it? Will I recognize the mechanics or will it be like playing a totally different game?

It's similar in that they are both SRPGs where you have piloted mecha, morale mechanics and energy conservation, but beyond that they're pretty different.

Unlike Tension in GGen, morale tends to just go up. Some units lose it for getting hit/missing attacks but by and large it's always positive and it has less of an impact. While it does boost stats its primary use is that certain attacks and abilities are locked behind morale thresholds and you must have a certain amount to use them. It is basically unheard of for attacks to cost morale to use unlike Tension-based attacks in GGen.

Weapons have fewer unique traits and rather than all running off shared ammo you have 0-cost weapons, ammo-based weapons and EN based weapons.

There's no real unit evolution. Most units are pilot locked and the ones that aren't are locked to their own series. (Or rarely a closely related series like Turn-A and UC Gundam.) The only
non-standard unit thing tends to be secret units you can unlock by completing objectives.

It's a lot more plot oriented.

Carriers are just regular units, they don't have specialized damage zones or anything, but if they go down it's game over none the less.

There's no 'size' in most SRW games, you just have a set number of units you can launch. There's no Master Units or anything. Occasionally you'll get SRWs with kinda-sorta similar gimmicks but SRWV doesn't appear to be one of them

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 31, 2017

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
This was a thing I made for my Maximum Break thing in Z3. You'd be surprised how often the "Nice" are spot on for the action.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's similar in that they are both SRPGs where you have piloted mecha, morale mechanics and energy conservation, but beyond that they're pretty different.

Unlike Tension in GGen, morale tends to just go up. Some units lose it for getting hit/missing attacks but by and large it's always positive and it has less of an impact. While it does boost stats its primary use is that certain attacks and abilities are locked behind morale thresholds and you must have a certain amount to use them. It is basically unheard of for attacks to cost morale to use unlike Tension-based attacks in GGen.

Weapons have fewer unique traits and rather than all running off shared ammo you have 0-cost weapons, ammo-based weapons and EN based weapons.

There's no real unit evolution. Most units are pilot locked and the ones that aren't are locked to their own series. (Or rarely a closely related series like Turn-A and UC Gundam.) The only
non-standard unit thing tends to be secret units you can unlock by completing objectives.

It's a lot more plot oriented.

Carriers are just regular units, they don't have specialized damage zones or anything, but if they go down it's game over none the less.

There's no 'size' in most SRW games, you just have a set number of units you can launch. There's no Master Units or anything. Occasionally you'll get SRWs with kinda-sorta similar gimmicks but SRWV doesn't appear to be one of them

Well, units have size but its just a stat that affects accuracy/dodge stuff mostly.

I hope one day they beef up carriers and make them big. Its one of the things from GGen I'd like to see in SRW, especially in a carrier heavy game like V.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Physical size and terrain were actually a thing in NEO! Especially since flight was comparatively rarer and/or more expensive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you've played Fire Emblem and Disgaea that's how I think of the difference between SRW and G Gen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Physical size and terrain were actually a thing in NEO! Especially since flight was comparatively rarer and/or more expensive.

Time for my weekly "god, I wish we got more Neo style games, gently caress you OE" post.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
My favourite Neo story I read was someone completely surrounding a boss with units and then transforming a guy into his much smaller car form so he could drive between the gaps and then he flashed his headlights at the boss for the bop. Neo sounds cool as hell.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Time for my weekly "god, I wish we got more Neo style games, gently caress you OE" post.
If you keep the dream alive, it may happen!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you've played Fire Emblem and Disgaea that's how I think of the difference between SRW and G Gen.

That does help, actually. Thanks Sanders!

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

So I finally got Moon Dwellers. Started off with Calvina and she is now my ace at close to 90 kills with the 2nd highest kill count being 40 :stare:

I find myself using her (and Excellen) a lot to rush for SR points, especially those that require you to kill X amount of enemies by X turn - their weapon range means they almost always will get to counter (which is my main method of getting those kills).

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I recently started playing SRW J, does anyone have much in the way of tips and advice? For example, is Granteed actually decent compared to its somewhat anemic showing in Moon Dwellers? Is this one of the ones where mechs that straddle the super/real divide (G Gundam, Coustwell) are hideously powerful, adequate, or under performers?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Granteed is really good in J. The G Gundam mechs are pretty bad. Gai is glitched when you get him back and will get double the free levels, upgrades, etc, that he was supposed to get from being gone for so long, so do his secret if you want to gekigan punch things to death.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weissritter posted:

So I finally got Moon Dwellers. Started off with Calvina and she is now my ace at close to 90 kills with the 2nd highest kill count being 40 :stare:

I find myself using her (and Excellen) a lot to rush for SR points, especially those that require you to kill X amount of enemies by X turn - their weapon range means they almost always will get to counter (which is my main method of getting those kills).

Calvina is absurdly broken in MD, yeah. She basically steps over everything

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Granteed is powerful.

Mechs that straddle the super/real divide can be powerful, but they do tend to either require a little more investment or have some kind of gimmick. None of them are under performers, except in the sense that they're in the same game as Zeorymer.

Oddly enough, I wouldn't classify either G Gundam or Coustwell as straddlers in this game. The G Gundam units play more like real robots but with shorter range and higher damage, and Coustwell is basically a super. The units that come closest to the divide are probably the Brains (whose teleporting and shields make them like very scaled down Zeorymers in a sense), and, believe it or not, Combattler and Voltes (who are both very middle of the road in stats).

The trickiest thing with straddlers is that you'll want to upgrade the mobility a small amount, but not too much, and you shouldn't upgrade mobility on real robots at all. Enemy units will focus attacks on the units they have the highest chance to hit, and outright not attack units whose dodge chance is too high--which denies you the opportunity to counterattack.

A few low HP reals suffer from this (G Gundam in particular, sadly) but you can mollify this by loading them up with armor items.

That's the biggest trick to J. Be temperate with your mobility.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 1, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Both Carriers in J are super good. Like, the Nadesico is probably a top 5 unit if you upgrade its EN and Weapons and the Archangel is still better than most Reals if you give it a barrier part.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

WrightOfWay posted:

Both Carriers in J are super good. Like, the Nadesico is probably a top 5 unit if you upgrade its EN and Weapons and the Archangel is still better than most Reals if you give it a barrier part.

I swear Archangel is the only unit in SRW to actually get significantly weaker as the game goes on thanks to its constant hemorrhaging of subpilots.

Also yeah the G Gundam units are pretty bad, with the obvious exception of God Gundam. The only one that's salvageable imo is Bolt Gundam, and even then that terribad 5 movement kills it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akito gets way worse whenever Gai dies, since he goes from being able to compete with the three angels with one less deployment slot to just a generic real with a decent spirit set.

And Gurren Lagann in Z2.1 loses a lot when Kamina dies - can't split to do the multiple turns trick, loses Kamina's ace bonus and cheap trust, etc. But it gets weapon upgrades and flight after that point, so it makes up for the loss in other ways.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 1, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Combattler and Voltes have Tissue paper for armor compared to most other supers, and need, absolutely need, to use spirits like mad to get a lot out of them. Dancougar is also fragile as hell, but gets a damage boost at 120 will and a fuckload of offensive spirits, Accel, Assault and Snipe among them to get the most use out of the range 1-8 finisher.

Mazingers, G-Gundam units (later for everyone except Domon), and Dancougar get damage boosting abilities at will thresholds, so they're good to use. The Arbalest does to, but not for a long rear end time. The Brains are all terrain A ranks, so they're great for the water stages, plus they're all Newtypes from a gameplay standpoint.

Anyone who can teleport as their double image thing can teleport on the map, which lets you put them further into enemy territory more easily. It also means they don't pay EN to move in the air. Speaking of Air, check your terrain ranks, the Gundam Fighters and Zeorymer all have B in air but start flying all the time anyways.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Endorph posted:

Akito gets way worse whenever Gai dies, since he goes from being able to compete with the three angels with one less deployment slot to just a generic real with a decent spirit set.

And Gurren Lagann in Z2.1 loses a lot when Kamina dies - can't split to do the multiple turns trick, loses Kamina's ace bonus and cheap trust, etc. But it gets weapon upgrades and flight after that point, so it makes up for the loss in other ways.

Gai tends to be a secret in all games where that matters, meaning you get DGF back at the endgame anyway, and in the only game where you couldn't save Gai at all they gave DGF to Akito and Akatsuki.

...also combo attacks were poo poo in that game because they only hit one target once, as opposed to hitting both targets in a pair at once or hitting a single target twice.

And the loss of DGF isn't nearly as crippling as losing 3/5ths of your spirit pool, including most of the useful spirits like Accel.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean, sometimes Gai's mutually exclusive with some other secret. Like A, where Master Asia's probably a better choice unless you really love Nadesico.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Calvina is absurdly broken in MD, yeah. She basically steps over everything

Some of the SR points, are they meant to be gotten on a first playthrough? It seems unless I read up early (and thus focus my upgrades on certain units), some of them seem impossible even with the use of maximum break.

Touya/Granteed also seem... rather weak, is it because I am on Calvina's route? I am in the mid-20 missions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Weissritter posted:

Some of the SR points, are they meant to be gotten on a first playthrough? It seems unless I read up early (and thus focus my upgrades on certain units), some of them seem impossible even with the use of maximum break.

Touya/Granteed also seem... rather weak, is it because I am on Calvina's route? I am in the mid-20 missions.

Every SR point is attainable with no upgrades on playthrough #1, though a lot of the "kill a boss" ones are really rough unless you have a plan going into it and utilize every scrap of damage output you can. It's generally the idea that if you really want a skill point and you can't seem to get it with your current setup you reload your save and try again with an altered plan since you can't get SR points after game overs.

The Granteed is pretty bad in Moon Dwellers. It has terrible post-movement attack options with low will and even if you shovel will into it somehow it then begins hemmorhaging EN like mad just for the privilege to actually attack at range. Later events make it way better but early on it requires significant effort to get any real work out of, especially compared to how set-and-forget the Bellezeute or your other super robots are.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm a bit more partial to these alternate Mamoru Nagano designs for some Zeta suits.

Late but these rule, especially the Qubeley. Are there any more?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I recently started playing SRW J, does anyone have much in the way of tips and advice? For example, is Granteed actually decent compared to its somewhat anemic showing in Moon Dwellers? Is this one of the ones where mechs that straddle the super/real divide (G Gundam, Coustwell) are hideously powerful, adequate, or under performers?

Granteed is top 3 robot in J with Mazinkaiser and would probably be number 1 if Zeorymer/Great Zeorymer didn't exist. You can complete 99% of J by upgrading Granteed and then putting everyone but him in a battleship away from the enemies and hitting end turn until the enemies are all gone.

Weissritter posted:

Inversely in MD Granteed is probably bottom 3 usable robot, both mechanically and by virtue of several stages where he isn't allowed to do anything. He's not unusable, but he requires so much effort to get to the level any other unit upon deployment.. Once he gets his upgrade he's extremely good and actually for real invincible to the final boss with a few armour upgrades, but until then he can't hit the broadside of a barn even with 7 accuracy upgrades when he is even allowed the privilege of attacking an enemy. On the other hand Calvina is grossly powerful from stage 1 and gets her upgraded finisher 10 or so stages before Touya.

You can get all SR points on a first run. Some of the early ones you have to abuse Ing's Continuous Action and his twin command with battleship ferrying where you put everyone except Ing in a battleship on the first turn so on the second turn they get full battleship movement + their own for basically 12 movement into the enemy.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Thanks all. Looks like I just need to get better at the game for the SR points (though maybe going in blind was a handicap).

And my impression of Granteed is correct. Do items carry over to a new game? Thoe will make it more ussable early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Weissritter posted:

Thanks all. Looks like I just need to get better at the game for the SR points (though maybe going in blind was a handicap).

And my impression of Granteed is correct. Do items carry over to a new game? Thoe will make it more ussable early on.

Your opinion is right. Granteed is incredibly bad as a unit before it gets its upgrade. It's usable (and you literally have to for some SR points) but it's the worst protagonist unit in the game and only saved from not being the world by like the lovely jet existing.

The upgrade on the other hand is absurdly strong though not Calvina strong.

• Locked thread