Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Well, I guess that was the Darkhold then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

drat what a great episode. A bit surprised they didn't have Mac jump into the incinerator to make sure that the Radcliffe LMD was giving a thumbs up though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Coulson as the harbinger of chaos kind of holds up.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For half a second, I thought the Superior was gunning for Uatu.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

You and me both. I was getting exciting they were going show a hydrocephalic dude in a toga.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Should have been Stan Lee.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Knew it wasn't going to be but the obvious person behind everything is Tony Stark.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Zero One posted:

Knew it wasn't going to be but the obvious person behind everything is Tony Stark.

you must mean Tony Stank

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Reset Smith posted:

you must mean Tony Stank

Yes, yes that is Mr. Stank.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, the Radcliff-bot is just as arrogant as the original and gave away the existence of May-Not.

The LMD trolling the team was the highlight of the episode.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Excellent episode. Im still amazed that this show has gone from "ehhh maybe I'll catch up on it later" in season one to one of my most looked forward to TV shows. And I'm still not completely convinced that the Koening aren't LMDs.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How was the superior able to find koenigs and dark holds and in humans without being able to nail down the mystery of agent coulson? They literally apprehended him at nadeers office. I'm starting to think the superior ain't that superior.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
May knew about the Koenigs, so Radcliffe was able to feed the Superior the info he needed to track them down. The superior has no intel source of his own within Shield, and I don't think Radcliffe is inclined to share what he knows about Coulson just like that.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this! posted:

Zach McGowan continues to make the rounds of nerd TV shows after Black Sails.

If he's anywhere close as badassed as Charles Vane, then he's gonna be a welcome addition to the show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I did not expect them to melt down both LMDs right after the soul speech and finding out they actually have functioning brains. I figured they'd maybe imprison them or bring them offline. Cold blooded!

The AI in Westworld wouldn't meet a very good fate even in the Marvel verse I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I kinda like May-Not. She is a really conflicted character. On the one hand, she thinks exactly like May, harbors the same feelings and is very loyal, on the other hand she is pretty much Radcliffe's slave, because her core programming forces her to like doing that. This is actually some really creepy brainwashing. If he had done the exact same thing to a real human, by conditioning her to stimuli, until she couldn't tell anymore what she genuinely likes and what she was programmed to, he would appear even less sympathetic than right now.

If we assume that she is basically a human, then Radcliffe is a crazy psychopath who locks women into prisons until Stockholm syndrome sets in and he can rewrite their thoughts. The poor robot has no idea if she actually likes Phil, or if that was just part of the ruse she was forced to perform.

Also the relationship between Phil and May is really unsymmetrical right now. From his perspective, over the past few weeks it actually developed into something tangible and real, while May experienced nothing like that and still thinks of Coulson as a close friend. She may have had those feelings before, but deeply buried and maybe she wasn't even aware of them.
What I'm saying is that May will be really confused once Coulson finds her, wakes her up and decides to kiss her. Especially considering the fact that she's hanging out in the Inceptionmatrix for a while now.

This story arc is really hosed up if you think about it.
But it is fun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

cant cook creole bream posted:

If he had done the exact same thing to a real human, by conditioning her to stimuli, until she couldn't tell anymore what she genuinely likes and what she was programmed to, he would appear even less sympathetic than right now.

He's also reprogramming the real May by making her relive altered versions of one of her defining life experiences. :ssh:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Patton Oswalt should be around 100% of the time.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was amazing. I love Aida so much.
Wow.... that seductive sit down. DAYYYMMM

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 1, 2017

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He's also reprogramming the real May by making her relive altered versions of one of her defining life experiences. :ssh:

"What the hell do you think you're doing there, Phil? You know that I am happily married to Andrew for years now. We have several children!"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 1, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also the relationship between Phil and May is really unsymmetrical right now. From his perspective, over the past few weeks it actually developed into something tangible and real, while May experienced nothing like that and still thinks of Coulson as a close friend. She may have had those feelings before, but deeply buried and maybe she wasn't even aware of them.

It's actually even worse - Coulson has no idea when May was swapped.

Also, I think they showed that their relationship was angling in that direction just before the swap. Not that it will matter - however May comes out of the Bahrain loop, she may or may not (haha puns) feel the same way.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OB_Juan posted:

It's actually even worse - Coulson has no idea when May was swapped.

Also, I think they showed that their relationship was angling in that direction just before the swap. Not that it will matter - however May comes out of the Bahrain loop, she may or may not (haha puns) feel the same way.

Radcliffe has totally hosed over Coulson, May and Fitz on really deep emotional levels, some of which may cause permanent damage. He's fuuuucked.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Radcliffe has totally hosed over Coulson, May and Fitz on really deep emotional levels, some of which may cause permanent damage. He's fuuuucked.

ward 2.0

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Batiatus 2.0

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Did coulson shoot the cavalry

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

OB_Juan posted:

That's a bit hard to say. I guess the first real tell was that bottle they wanted to open for a long time. So it would be right on the edge. He proposed it to the real one but actually shared it with the LMD the same evening. That's some terrible timing. Poor Melinda was looking forward to that booze.

I really like this story line. A mostly sentient robot clone with the same memories isn't exactly a groundbreaking idea, but I am invested in those characters and actually like the actors.

Man, I am quite a big fan of this series. There isn't really a main character I don't like. Personally, I think the "worst" of the characters might be Mack.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 1, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Patton Oswalt should be around 100% of the time.

Wow.... that seductive sit down. DAYYYMMM

Mallory Jansen just makes evil look *good*. It was the same on Galavant.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mallory Jansen just makes evil look *good*. It was the same on Galavant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I really do love how Jansen is playing "robotic"- her movements are all very smooth and efficient, and her dialogue all has that Siri-esque air of friendliness. Aida's a great character.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
She's thinner, cooler, clearly much crueler.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So actually May and Coulson have something else is common. They've both spent periods strapped into a brain scrambler!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Please give me a scene where one of the LMDs manages to hack Coulson's robot arm, so we can get a full Evil Dead 2 style man-vs-his-own-severed-arm fight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Robot Hobo posted:

Please give me a scene where one of the LMDs manages to hack Coulson's robot arm, so we can get a full Evil Dead 2 style man-vs-his-own-severed-arm fight.

Someone write this man a check!

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Senerio posted:

and check out the bling, she's the kingdom's new ruler

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
What I want is to see Patton do a full stand-up set as Thurston Koenig.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

When are we getting the Patton Oswalt spinoff series?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

Tilting more than slightly bitchward.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If I ever win a ridiculous lottery jackpot I'm funding a Galavant movie.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fun little easter egg: The newspaper showing Coulson's obituary had his date of death as May 4, 2012 - the theatrical release date of The Avengers.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was a pretty good episode. I guess I'm literally the only person on earth who doesn't see what the big deal is with Oswalt. It's probably because the first several times I've heard about him, it's been from him wading into the sea of human feces that is twitter *ahem* activism. At least the sister was awesome. The characters are fine as a joke maybe once a season, but the show would suffer if they became regulars. Adding them to the list of announced spinoffs that are never going to happen is fine I guess. And I guess they've given up on subtly when it comes to cross promotional Star Wars references.

I continue to like what they're doing with the LMDs. They keep hinting at maybe they'll become more than machines, or have a soul or whatever. Haha, nope, it's just trying to gently caress with your head the way it was programmed to, into the incinerator! I hope they don't reverse course by the end, or at the very least, limit it to Aida since she actually read the book.

Also, Coulson being the G-Man from Half Life was entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Been watching Patton since the 90's, he does funny stand up.

In any case, dude is in a library and he doesn't swap the Darkhold out of the bag before confronting the bad guys. That last scene was very sloppily composed too. How did the bad guys get away? Why weren't they arrested? No readily apparent answers to these questions.

• Locked thread