Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I would dp it on a bicycle a bunch first, so I get used to the movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
With the caveat that you should also not let go of the handlebars while you're trying it on a bicycle.

Did nobody ride down sets of stairs as a kid?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Keep your hands on the bars and feet on the pegs sounds like basic advice, but for someone who's never ridden anything like that, it takes a conscious effort to do.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Now I'm picturing someone with their tongue poking out between their teeth, concentrating so they don't go starfishing off the back of the bike on the highway.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

n8r posted:

Lol if you think a little staircase like that would blow fork seals. Even more lol the advice of watching Erzberg footage. Here is my pro tip if you don't want to crash, don't let go of the loving handlebars.

You know Graham Jarvis (hallowed be his name) is always watching you, right?

Here's last year's race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKpOSba-Kc

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

captainOrbital posted:

With the caveat that you should also not let go of the handlebars while you're trying it on a bicycle.

lol just lol if you cant ride a bike with bent up wheels without hands on the bars :cool: :geert: Dutch supremacy! not down a set of stairs though, thats madness

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Jazzzzz posted:

if you like blowing fork seals

HAH! Jokes on you. I've been stockpiling 954rr forksfront ends from squid wrecks and stuntaz.
I'm set to wheelie into the loving apocalypse.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
On a warm up lap for mini supermoto I was approaching a jump and remembered the gopro on top of my helmet wasn't on. I took my throttle hand and turned on the gopro as i was on the jump and promptly just nose dived off and ate poo poo. It was pretty stupid but the corner worker got a solid laugh in

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm not sure if it's just the initial excitement of getting an enduro bike but I feel like I don't want my street bike any more.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Take it on a trip that's over 100 miles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Deeters posted:

So ride it for an hour?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm married with a kid, not going to go on long trips any more. Enduro riding is relatively slower than street riding so a crash is less likely to kill me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So ride it for an hour?

Maybe two. I love my DRZ, but even my aftermarket seat is tiring after that time. Makes me miss having two bikes to chose from.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm married with a kid, not going to go on long trips any more. Enduro riding is relatively slower than street riding so a crash is less likely to kill me.

Sounds like you're doing it right then. A few miles of even slow riding through trails is a blast.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Deeters posted:

You say that like you have forgotten he has a 701. I'd happily take that bike on a 500 mile trip, even slabbin it.

Without the knobbies...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Coydog posted:

You say that like you have forgotten he has a 701. I'd happily take that bike on a 500 mile trip, even slabbin it.

Without the knobbies...

My CBR is definitely smoother but the aggressive riding position doesn't help with comfort at all. If I were to get another street bike it'll be a sport touring one that's for sure.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ditch the knobbies and put a little windscreen on and you will be golden. Or yeah, get something with better aero and a bigger tank, for serious touring.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

I don't even get my bike out if it's gonna be less than that

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
4 season commuters representing:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Yuns posted:

Fuckin' heroic, this.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Yuns posted:

You've got a fairing, I commute on my Duke 390, though I'm in Texas so it's cheat mode for 4 season riding.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I rode my CB-1 around Tennessee a bunch last winter. No heated grips so I warmed my hands on the engine at stop lights and stuff

Now I live the good life in LA and have grown soft

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

:stare:

Renal_lightfoot
Dec 31, 2016

Testicles
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Bought from a friend of mine a couple months ago. Already want a bigger one.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

well yeah, and don't

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renal_lightfoot posted:

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r. Bought from a friend of mine a couple months ago. Already want a bigger one.

Probably learn to use all the tyre first then look for a bigger one cause it doesn't get easier the faster you go.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Fuckin' heroic, this.
The best part was that I couldn't get all the snow off since snow was crammed behind the fairing and other parts. So when I rode home, the snow was blowing off the bike for the first few seconds like the tail of a comet.

Renal_lightfoot
Dec 31, 2016

Testicles

Slavvy posted:

Probably learn to use all the tyre first then look for a bigger one cause it doesn't get easier the faster you go.

I've been riding for roughly 8 or so years now. This is just the first bike I've ever owned. I want to go to the new 650 Ninja. Gear position meter :toot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What kind of bikes? Not winding you up, genuinely curious.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Renal_lightfoot posted:

I want to go to the new 650 Ninja.

The styling is growing on me but no rear grab rail wtf?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Renal_lightfoot posted:

Gear position meter :toot:

Far as I'm concerned all bikes only have one gear anyway, and it's "is this still top gear?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Far as I'm concerned all bikes only have one gear anyway, and it's "is this still top gear?"

The phantom 6th gear is the worst.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shouldn't be a problem for the beetah

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The phantom 6th gear is the worst.

Honestly, two of my favorite features of the FZ-09 are a gear indicator and a goddamn clock.

Renal_lightfoot
Dec 31, 2016

Testicles

Slavvy posted:

What kind of bikes? Not winding you up, genuinely curious.

Mostly an old 90s yamaha that my brother owned for awhile and stopped using. I don't really remember the year, because at that point I just thought it was loving awesome.

Then, when I lived with a buddy of mine, I started riding his spare Harley. 1985. Loved it, and want to get another one at some point, don't wanna pay the price tag on it though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

echomadman posted:

Shouldn't be a problem for the beetah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbwqFU2PfMM

prin-cheh-pess-uh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

a goddamn clock.

I glued a $10 analog watch from Target (band removed) on both of my bikes and it is the greatest thing ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I glued a $10 analog watch from Target (band removed) on both of my bikes and it is the greatest thing ever.

I don't think I've owned a bike in the last twenty years that didn't have a clock, what's this scrub-tier bullshit about new bikes (with LED dashes so literally no excuse) not having one?

Tell a lie, the MZ I had one winter didn't have one, but I feel like if you're riding an MZ then by definition you have nowhere you need to be at any particular time. If you did you'd use literally any other mode of transportation.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I've owned a bike in the last twenty years that didn't have a clock, what's this scrub-tier bullshit about new bikes (with LED dashes so literally no excuse) not having one?

Tell a lie, the MZ I had one winter didn't have one, but I feel like if you're riding an MZ then by definition you have nowhere you need to be at any particular time. If you did you'd use literally any other mode of transportation.

Just another point in favor of the Ducatista lifestyle.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yall are crazy. I actively avoid clocks on my vehicles. If I have one, I set it really inaccurately (or for KTM just let it soft reset itself occasionally like a little bitch when I try to start the bike :argh: ). That way, I never worry about what time it is. Plan by the sun and what you want to be doing when it exists or doesn't exist.

It's not like knowing what time it is on the biek can save you from poor planning prior to getting on the bike if you are going to be late somewhere.

Renal_lightfoot- sounds like you might be a lil rusty with that really infrequent riding. Ninja 250's are loads of fun. Go properly flog yours. I know the second gen 250r is slower than the pregen, but I always thought they looked fun to abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think I've owned a bike in the last twenty years that didn't have a clock,

Well look at captain moneybags over here