Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

MANEUVERING: 09/13/2030, 16:08

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

Mashiro, Salyu, shall we head home?
Okay. Let's go, Salyu.
Mm.

And together, they left the classroom. All the while ignoring the clamor of voices, both real and telepathic.

Hey, should we go drop by somewhere on the way back?
Nah, let's head straight home today.
I agree. I just want to enjoy a chat over a nice dinner with you all.
Oh my, that's a cute thing to say.
Well, we've been going out every day lately, so let's just relax a bit at home today.
Yeah.

Unlike yesterday's trip back from school, today was strangely calm and relaxing. So much so that they almost completely forgot about what Ukita had said.

Looks like it could rain any second now, huh.

Natsuhiko looked up to the sky in response,

(Oh boy. I hope we can at least make it home before it starts raining...)

The moment Natsuhiko had that hope--

Ah, crap, it's really starting to fall!
Now that sucks. I didn't bring an umbrella.
Let's get on the bus. It should be here soon enough.

Oh, good timing.
What a lifesaver!

And the three of them boarded the bus as they chatted amongst themselves.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

It was a little crowded inside. There were probably other people who rushed to board the bus after the rain started to fall, too. Natsuhiko let Salyu and Mashiro sit in the seats and stood next to them.

A blue branch with Salyu at 4.

Huh? What, more shopping?

I did look around a little on the first day, but I admit, I still don't know that much.
I see. I guess you're right...

After Natsuhiko muttered that, Mashiro spoke from beside him.

...Well, the day after tomorrow's a Sunday, so how about we go around town then?
Ah, yeah, sounds good.

--Usually, Natsuhiko spent his Sundays with Yuuri. But just this once probably wouldn't hurt.

...That's fine.
Then how about we go look at some of the research facilities that allow it?
Also, if at all possible, there's a little more shopping I'd like to do.
Huh? Did you think of something you want to buy?
Books. I did bring just one book from home, but I already finished reading it.
I see, I see. Then pardon me for being forward, but allow me to pick some titles from the '90s golden age of sci-fi for you to try! There are so many legendary titles to choose from. Like 'Neon Genocide Vangel' and 'Ghost In the Core'.
I've never heard of those titles... Very interesting.

Those weren't books but anime titles-- but Natsuhiko didn't have the heart to say it.

Natsuhiko, is there anything you want to buy?
No, not in particular...
That's a little boring. ...I know! Let's pick out clothes for Natsuhiko this time!
Huh, no, you don't need to.
Why not? You've actually got some nice looks to start out with, so you can't let it go to waste by being plain all the time.
Whoa there... you don't want to make me your next dress up doll, do you?
Keeheehee, I guess you could look at it that way too.

Natsuhiko smiled wryly at Mashiro’s playfulness. But he had to admit, going shopping as a group did seem like fun.

Well, fine... I guess it might be nice to go shopping every now and then.
Okay, so the day after tomorrow, we go around the city and go shopping too? I'm sure it'll be fun! Ah man, can the day after tomorrow come any sooner...?

As soon as Mashiro said that,

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

her eyes opened wide as if she had noticed something.

...?
What's wrong?

Natsuhiko called out to her dubiously. But Mashiro didn't answer.

!

Her face just froze abruptly. Something was clearly wrong. Natsuhiko got worried and whispered to her.

Hey, Mashiro... hey!

That's when Mashiro slowly turned back and looked at Natsuhiko as if she had come back to her senses.

N-Natsuhiko...
What's wrong? Did something happen?
Umm... umm...

Mashiro looked around the bus, stammering.

(What's wrong?)

Natsuhiko looked around the bus too, but he didn't see anything happening. Everyone was just sitting quietly in their seats.

...Honestly, what's wrong?

Mashiro didn't answer for a while, but eventually, she spoke with a smile.

You call that 'nothing'...?
Ah, actually, I had the feeling someone told us to shut up.
Huh? Oh yeah, I guess we did get a little carried away...
Oh no. I'll reflect on my actions too.
Yeah, let's bring it down a notch.

That said, Natsuhiko was actually relieved at Mashiro's answer. The three of them then quietly waited to reach their destination. Once they got quiet, the bus was filled with silence. But occasionally--

Alice: Grrrrr...

Alice would faintly growl. Aside from that, the bus was silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PROPHECY: 09/13/2030, 16:37

When they got back to the house, they were greeted by Yuuri.

We're home, Yuuri.
Man~ it was so terrible because of the rain~

Mashiro already seemed back to her cheerful self. She spoke as she headed towards the kitchen.

Okay, I'll start making dinner. I'm going all-out today, so sit tight.

--And with that, Mashiro made spaghetti with an elaborate sauce. Dinner that day ended peacefully, but-- After dinner, as Natsuhiko put the dishes away, Mashiro whispered to him with a meek look on her face.

...Say, Natsuhiko.
Hmm, what is it?
There's something I want to talk about. You got a moment?
Huh? What is it?
I'm sorry, but it's a little...

Mashiro glanced at the sofa.

... Is it something that'd be bad if they heard?
It wouldn't be bad, it's just that I don't want to make them worry...
...?

Natsuhiko didn't have the slightest idea of what Mashiro was trying to say.

Okay. Let's go to my room.

And with that, Natsuhiko lead Mashiro to his room.

P... pardon the intrusion.

Mashiro shyly entered after being invited in.

So, what did you want to talk about?
Well... I'm really not sure if I should talk about it or not... Will you promise to believe me if I tell you?
Yeah, of course.
Thanks.

Mashiro replied and then meekly whispered.

--Okay then, Natsuhiko. Listen closely. Before long, someone in the city is apparently... Going to attempt an act of terrorism...!

...Wha?

Natsuhiko doubted his ears. He never expected to hear the word ''terrorism''.

Terrorism? Mashiro... under no circumstances is that...

♪ BGM: Anxious Times of Rokumei City

I'm not joking! I'm serious!
!! I-I'm sorry... I promised I'd believe you. But what makes you say that all of a sudden?
...Remember how I suddenly went quiet on the bus back home today?
Huh? Oh, yeah...

Mashiro said she heard someone complain about their noise level.

What I heard back then wasn't 'shut up'... It was someone talking to themselves about something much more terrifying. One of the passengers was muttering to himself. He was so quiet that I didn't quite catch all of it, though...
What did he say?
'Communicators are an abomination.' '...have to put an end to this town's history.' 'D-day is near.'
...!

That did indeed sound like a hint to a terrorist plot.

I was startled... I panicked and tried to listen more closely, but then the man fell silent. I thought that maybe I might've misheard him, but I still couldn't get it off my mind. It's kind of frightening me more and more...!

Mashiro's voice oozed with fear. Her face was pale and her shoulders shook little by little. There was something strange about her.

H-hey, Mashiro, are you okay?
I'm okay... I just got a little scared remembering it, that's all. But more importantly, I've been thinking... Maybe that man is one of those 'anti-Communicator extremists' they've talked about on the news.

Natsuhiko had also heard about those extremists. For one of them to be muttering to himself sounded a little eerie, but believable enough. Perhaps this incident also had something to do with to how Ukita had said there was a rise in people who did not like Communicators in town.

...Did you see his face?
Uh, well... no, I didn't really get a good look... But if I see him again, I'll know it's him for sure...!

Mashiro focused hard on Natsuhiko as she spoke.

S-so... We're the only ones who've noticed this, aren't we? So in that case, we gotta thwart the terrorism ourselves!
Whoa, whoa, calm down there, Mashiro. Just because he said that to himself doesn't necessarily mean he's a terrorist, you know?
Huh...?
For example, if someone said to themselves that they wanted to kill someone, that doesn't mean they'll actually go out and murder them, right?
That's not it! He was an honest to God terrorist!
What makes you so sure?
Because he--

Mashiro swallowed her words. She seemed unable to find how to continue.

See? You don't have any basis to make that accusation, do you?
Even if he really were a terrorist, there's nothing we can do to 'thwart' him, is there?
...So you're saying we should just leave him be because there's nothing we can do?
No, I'm just saying we're nothing but high school students. There's no need for us to go out and try to stop him ourselves, is there?
Natsuhiko, are you serious?
Yeah. (Well, yeah... it's not like my first instinct to hearing this story would be ''welp, let's go and stop him'', would it?)

In his heart of hearts, Natsuhiko did not truly believe Mashiro's story. But he spoke gently so as to not hurt her feelings.

If it really bothers you that much, you should report it to the police or the city security department. That's the best we can do. What comes next doesn't concern us--
Of course it concerns us! Our town is being targeted, you know!? There might be something we could do besides just sending in reports! 'Don't wait for someone else to protect what you hold dear. Protect it with your own hands.' Isn't that right, Natsuhiko!?

Natsuhiko was a little shocked. Mashiro's words sounded a little melodramatic to him.

What's that... another one of your favorite quotes?
Huh...!?
Haven't I told you before? Just because you think something is right doesn't mean it's right to do it. Self-righteousness just leads to danger.

But when Mashiro heard that-- she just smiled sadly.

... Natsuhiko, you really have changed.
No, I haven't. I've always been like this.
No, you have changed. Even though I tried to stop you back then...
Back then...?

He could not for the life of him remember what she was talking about. If something like that did happen, it must've been far in the past--

Ah...

(That's right... It was that day nine years ago.)

(... And Mashiro tried to stop me.)

Stop it, Natsuhiko! It's dangerous! You shouldn't go to a place like that!
Huh, what's wrong, Mashiro? You chicken? Well fine, I guess I'll just go ask Yuuri then~
... What's that supposed to mean!? Lately you've been Yuuri this and Yuuri that...!
What? Don't tell me you're jealous? But you're just a tomboy.
...! Fine, I don't care about you anymore, Natsuhiko! Go buzz off with Yuuri and see if I care!

(I shook off Mashiro's warning and we still went there--)

--And because of that, Yuuri...!

Natsuhiko's pulse intensified and his breathing became rough. Bitter regret stained his heart.

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Natsuhiko at 4.

Back then, you were the one who acted on his whims...

He felt her words pierce his heart. Nine years ago, Natsuhiko took Yuuri and shook off Mashiro's attempts to stop them. They ended up in an accident. Perhaps Mashiro felt responsible for that incident too for ''failing to stop them''.

But still, that's exactly why... I don't want you to put yourself in danger.
...!
Please, Mashiro. Let's just report it to the police and end it at that. That's just about all we can do, in any case.
... I see. You really have changed then, haven't you, Natsuhiko...

Mashiro smiled in resignation. But a moment later, her expression turned into anger.

If you really love being safe so much, then just lock yourself up in this house forever!
Huh!?
I can't count on you for anything anymore, Natsuhiko! Goodbye!
H-hey, wait a second, Mashiro!

Mashiro flew out of the room as if to shake off Natsuhiko from stopping her. Confused, Natsuhiko tried to chase after her, but--

The evening rain had stopped and the stars were somewhat visible.

... What's with her?

Natsuhiko muttered as if to spit out his bitterness. He had no clue what made Mashiro so mad.

(I didn't say anything wrong, did I...?)

Natsuhiko looked up to the sky with that shaky conviction of his. Sparkling stars dotted the whole sky. The stars were spread out far apart, and never seemed to overlap. Much in the same way that human hearts never do. The distance between them all was hopelessly far.

(... Even if we've known each other for years, there are still several things we don't understand about each other, huh...)

With that thought in mind, he turned around and went back inside. --He headed toward his room without stopping by the living room.

When suddenly he heard a knock on the door.

Umm~ Hikorin?
Oh, Yuuri? It's open. Feel free.

♪ BGM: Peacemaker / Theme of Yuuri

Yuuri timidly walked into Natsuhiko's room.

What's wrong, Yuuri? You don't usually visit my room.
Hmm, well, it's because I heard Mashiron yell in a really loud voice...
Ah... did you hear that conversation we just had?
Just a little.

Apparently since they talked so loud, Yuuri even heard it in the living room. Natsuhiko looked around awkwardly as Yuuri questioned him.

Mashiron seemed mad... What happened?
Well, I'm not really sure what happened here either...

Natsuhiko summarized the conversation he and Mashiro had.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MEMORIES AND REALITY: 09/13/2030, 19:04

Yuuri frowned at Natsuhiko as she responded.

Hmm... I think I might have an idea, but...
What is it?
...Maybe Mashiron wants you to return to being the Hikorin you were in the past? I think she's sad because she's realized just how much you've changed from the righteous Hikorin who stood up for justice in the past.
Huh? The past...?

Yuuri smiled slighty as she nodded.

This yellow branch with Yuuri at 4 leads to her next friendship scene.

The Hikorin that would help anybody out who was crying or in trouble without a second thought. The Hikorin... that helped both me and Mashiron out...
...I see.

Certainly enough, Natsuhiko did have a stronger sense of justice and initiative back then.

(I was like that back time, too...)

Natsuhiko remembered the past once more. He remembered when his sense of justice compelled him to save Yuuri--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

IN THE CORNER OF A TWILIT CITY

After the day they read the book together, Natsuhiko and Yuuri quickly became friends. They wouldn't just play together when they met at the park. Yuuri would also come visit Natsuhiko's house to play...

S-sure, come on in.

It was his first time having a girl come to his house to play, so Natsuhiko was a little nervous.

Wah, Natsuhiko, your house is so big.
Really? I guess.

It certainly was a big house, but that didn't stop it from feeling lonely from time to time. His father had already passed away and his mother came home late, so Natsuhiko was happy to have a visitor. Yuuri took notice of the digital photo frame decorating a corner of the living room.

Is this a picture of your mom, Natsuhiko?
Huh? Oh, yeah.

The digital photo frame had a picture of Natsuhiko with his mom. It was a picture taken just the other day. His mother was smiling faintly with her hand on Natsuhiko's shoulder.

...She seems like a nice mom.
Huh? Nice? Sorry to break it to you, but Mom's not that nice. She is smart and cool, though.
No, I'm sure she's nice. I can tell by her smile. I guar-an-tee it.
Your guar-an-tee doesn't really...

Natsuhiko loved his mom, but it was a little awkward hearing someone praise her.

M-more importantly, let's go play something. Like spinning tops.
Well, I brought a book. How about we read together?
Huh, again?
Y-you don't want to...? It was so fun the other time, so I...
Ah, it's not like that at all! Okay, let's read together then.

Yuuri smiled in relief at Natsuhiko's frantic attempt to smooth things over.

...Huh, is it already that late? Don't you have to go home?
Huh... let's play just a little longer.
But it's already five, isn't it?
Yeah, but... but...
It's almost dinner time. See? C'mon.
Mmm... mmm...

Natsuhiko pressed her as he showed her his watch. Yuuri turned her face away as if to run away from the time, but--

... Okay. I'll... go home.

She eventually gave up.

Okay. Bye, Yuuri.

Yuuri nodded and left the house. --She looked so sad to Natsuhiko as she left.

... Huh?

He noticed Yuuri's book had been left on the desk.

Did she forget it here...? ... Oh well, I'll go bring it back to her.

Natsuhiko left the house, book in hand.

He had walked with her to the front of her house once after they had played in the park.

(I've never been inside Yuuri's house before, huh... I wonder if I'll be allowed inside? I wonder what Yuuri's room looks like...)

Natsuhiko walked on, a little nervous for some reason. Eventually, he reached familiar municipal housing.

Mm, this must be the place.

Natsuhiko cleared his throat and pressed the doorbell... And after a while, Yuuri came out with a dark look on her face.

Well, you forgot your book at my place, so I came to--

As Natsuhiko started talking, an angry voice suddenly erupted from the house.

Mrs. Kotono: --Why did we have to move to a creepy town like this all for that brat!?
Mr. Kotono: You 'spect me to turn down that pile of money!?
!?

Natsuhiko's body shook at the sound of those violent voices. But they didn't stop there.

Mr. Kotono: Lookit you, you were so drat happy when they recommended we move, weren't cha!?
Mrs. Kotono: I didn't know the town was this creepy! All those drat cameras everywhere you go! What the hell?

A man and a woman appeared to be fighting.

(H-huh? What...!? Don't tell me those two are Yuuri's mom and dad...?)

When Natsuhiko's father was still alive, he never saw his parents fighting. When he looked to Yuuri in bewilderment, she just smiled at him.

...Um, thank you.
Huh?
Thank you for bringing the book back.
N-no problem...

As he handed the book back, Natsuhiko noticed something: Yuuri's smile seemed horribly sad compared to her usual smile.

Mrs. Kotono: What the hell's with this town, anyway!? drat espers everywhere... The hell's a Communicator? Disgusting...!
Mr. Kotono: You drat gave birth to one, woman! I told you to abort it too! A little late to complain about 'em now, eh!?
Mrs. Kotono: What!? Don't act like this is all MY fault! You're the one who was obsessed with moving here so you wouldn't have to get off your lazy rear end to work! Man up for once!
Mr. Kotono: Shut it, woman! It's not my fault there's no work for me!

Their abusive words rang out endlessly. Yuuri shrank in fear.

U-um, Yuuri... are your mom and dad... fighting?
No.
Of course they are! And it sounds like they're saying bad things about you too...!
...!
Do you want me to go stop them!?
Don't!
!

Natsuhiko couldn't help but fall silent at her sharp voice.

... Natsuhiko, I'll be fine.
B-but...
I'm sorry... I'll see you later.
Ah...

The door closed in front of Natsuhiko's face. Natsuhiko left, unable to do anything else.

(This is unacceptable...! Why must Yuuri be forced to make such a sad face?)

And after thinking his hardest, even as a young boy, Natsuhiko connected the dots. The reason Yuuri was always so reluctant to go home was because of those parents.

(... In that case...)

Eventually, he began to think: Was there a way he could change Yuuri's sadness into a smile? Was there a way he could save her?

(I'll save her...!)

--As he traversed the dusk-bathed streets-- The young boy made a resolute decision.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MEMORIES AND REALITY: 09/13/2030, 19:04 - PART 2

He would act according to his sense of justice without considering any complicated things like other people's familial circumstances. Just as Yuuri had said, he once did have that sort of quality to him.

A blue branch with Natsuhiko and Yuuri at 4.

...But say, Yuuri. Is my current way of thinking really all that bad?
Huh?
I think I'm a better person now than I was back then. Sure, I may have been more bright and energetic back then, but that's because I was a kid. As I grew up, I became more mature, more careful... Doesn't everyone? Isn't that what it means to grow up?

Natsuhiko felt if that were wrong, then people should just never grow up past childhood.

(It's because I was a child back then that I put Yuuri in danger...)

That's why Natsuhiko wanted to change. He wasn't blamed for it, but he didn't want to feel indebted to Yuuri either.

That's wrong, Hikorin. That's not growth. That's stagnation.
...!

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

Yuuri's tone of voice changed abruptly, startling Natsuhiko. It couldn't be-- he thought as he looked at Yuuri. And as he looked at her, there was a look in her eyes that was different from normal.

Ever since that day nine years ago, time has stopped for you, Hikorin.

And thus, we hit the red branch for this chapter, asking us about Mashiro. Originally, I believed our Sense of 6 would not be enough to get us through, but it turns out I was wrong. The walkthrough only works in terms of the ''answers'' that the game provides for you after you've beaten the route once, which pretty much only use 7, 4 and 1. However, it seems that a ''high'' answer can also be gotten from 6. I'm not sure how entirely it works. Anyway, no bad end for us, and that means that we've made it past all of the bad ends that Route Before has to offer.

Well, technically that's not true. There is one more bad end waiting, however that can only be gotten with a Favor deficiency, and this far out, I believe it's impossible for us to achieve that. The walkthrough starts the loving up at the beginning of Chapter 2 in order to get the bad ending. So no more bad ends for us until I go back for completion. Anyway, back to the Mysterious Yuuri Hour.

(... Yuuri stopped my time...?)
...I'm sure Mashiron still blames herself too harshly for it. And that very same Mashiron is putting herself in great danger, yet you're still going to disregard her, Hlkorin? You need to worry about Mashiron in the same way you worry about me. If you don't, than time will stay stopped for you forever, you know...?
Yuuri, what are you saying...? You've been kind of strange lately.
You're right. It is kind of odd to say something like that all of a sudden, huh? But I'm not the only thing strange lately. Most likely everything is strange. Everything you've seen and heard...

Once Yuuri said that, Natsuhiko fearfully looked at his watch.

(... Again?)

Upon seeing his broken watch, Natsuhiko had realized something: September 13 had long come and passed. The sliver of peace he had obtained had long since been lost. And thus, Natsuhiko was torn away from his peaceful ''recollection''--

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MASHIRO - SEPTEMBER 16: 09/16/2030, 06:59

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

They had gotten separated from Salyu and were searching for an escape route.

(...!)

As he remembered what happened that fateful night, Natsuhiko ground his teeth.

(I didn't believe Mashiro at first when she told me about the terrorist plot... And this is the result of my disbelief...!)

Natsuhiko was filled once again with regret.

(What I need to do first... is to get Mashiro and the others out of here!)

Natsuhiko rushed to the stairwell and looked up.

(Is there any way at all to climb this thing!? If I can at least get Mashiro and the others out, then--)

As that thought crossed his mind,

Salyu!

Once Natsuhiko yelled, she looked down at them.

How'd it go!? Were you able to beat those guys!?
...I'm sorry. It was an embarrassing defeat.

As soon as she said that, Natsuhiko heard the sound of a drop of water dripping down. A red stain formed on the floor-- a stain of Salyu's blood.

Salyu, you're hurt!?
You suffered defeat!? Don't tell me those guys...!?
Right when I knocked those two out, another one appeared, and then I got shot.
...!

Now that he thought about it, the enemy did show up with guns last night.

(Crap, it was so obvious. Why didn't I even consider that possibility--!?)

Salyu glanced at the painful-looking wound on her arm.

The enemy has exceptional physical strength and unknown numbers... Our odds don't look good.
Then what do we do!?
All we can do is run. As quickly, and as far away as possible.
Ghhh...!

Right as Natsuhiko found himself at a loss for words, a voice rang out on the intercom.

According to the roll-call on the ground floor, evacuation of all staff members has been confirmed! In the unlikely event that anyone besides staff members has been left behind, please escape through Areas 5 and 6 immediately!

As she heard the announcement, Salyu sighed in relief.

That means Dr. Tenkawa managed to escape... so all that's left is for us to evacuate too.
Okay, Salyu, then come down here! Let's escape together!
No, I can't climb down with this arm. I think it'd be difficult for you guys to climb up too. But if we hesitate, the enemy is likely to catch up to us. So let's split up and escape separately.
No! Will you be okay by yourself, Salyu!?
I will. But there's no time to speak my reasoning. So let's use BC.
!?

Right after Salyu said that-- Her mental voice rang out in Natsuhiko's head.

Her clear, high-speed thought process. Natsuhiko gasped as it all came rushing into his head in a single instant.

Salyu...!

Yuuri and Mashiro looked up at Salyu in the same way.

Salyu...
Me too, Salyu...!

Natsuhiko forced a smile and spoke up.

...Okay! Leave these two to me! Promise me one more thing! That we'll all live long enough to meet again on the outside!
...Promise.

And with that, Salyu disappeared.

Mashiro and Yuuri nodded meekly. And then the three of them ran off once more.

The three of them walked through the connecting passageways towards that goal. But once they left Area 3 and approached Area 4's outer ring--

♪ BGM: Approaching Death

They found it wreathed in flames.

O-oh no...!
Hikorin, what do we do...?

Yuuri and Mashiro looked at Natsuhiko with concern. Decisively, Natsuhiko answered.

...Let's cut across.
Huh!?
There's no guarantee that the staircases in Areas 5 and 6 will stay safe forever. So we need to get through Area 4 as quickly as possible.
T-true... and luckily enough, it doesn't look -that- impassible.
Yuuri, what about you? Think you can make it?
Yeah, I'm okay.
Okay then, let's go!

And with that, the three of them walked into the fiery area.

Get down low so you don't breathe in the smoke! Cover your mouth with a sleeve!
Y-yeah!

The three of them crouched down and walked on the floor. The flames flickered against the walls as the heat waves closed in on them.

Ugh!

Eventually, Mashiro rose her voice from behind. Natsuhiko turned around in shock to see her rubbing her eyes painfully.

What happened!?
Smoke got into my eyes...!
It's okay. I'll guide you by the hand! You can close your eyes, so just run!
O... okay!

Natsuhiko took her by the hand with his right and Mashiro gripped back firmly.

You too, Yuuri!
Right!

Natsuhiko grabbed Yuuri by the hand with his left and he ran ahead, guiding the other two-- And they somehow managed to slip out of Area 4.

The three of them rushed into the connecting passageway to Area 5.

A... are you two okay?
Y-yeah...
I'm okay...

Relieved, Natsuhiko led the two girls as they walked through the passageway.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

--they found another fire in wait.

N-no way...!
We can't get through...!?

The flames in the passageway were intense. Anyone who would attempt crossing through would surely catch on fire.

(Crap, we're caught between the fires...!)

When that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind, Mashiro groaned.

?? Mashiro, are you crying!?
What's wrong!? Did you get burned somewhere!?
...N-no... I just suddenly... felt like I've wronged everyone...!

Mashiro muttered through her sobs.

When I heard about the terrorist plot, I never thought it'd turn out like this... I got Salyu hurt too... And I got us all caught between the fires... I should've listened to you, Natsuhiko... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry I dragged everyone into this...!

--''Dragged''. That word shook Natsuhiko's heart.

No, I'm the one who dragged everyone into this...!
Huh...?
If I hadn't gone down when the alarm went off, I wouldn't have dragged us all into this.

Regret suddenly filled Natsuhiko's heart. He dragged those precious to him into danger once again, just like he did nine years ago. This time not just Yuuri-- but Mashiro and Salyu too. The headache he had forgotten came back stronger, except now it was accompanied by the pangs of guilt.

I'm the one at fault, Mashiro. You did nothing wrong. So please, don't cry.

Mashiro wiped her tears and looked at Natsuhiko.

No, Natsuhiko... Don't say that. You're back to your old self now, aren't you? At the very least... I'm happy for that.

Her words were tinged with both gentleness and slight resignation. An intense pain ran through Natsuhiko's chest.

(Dammit... what do we do...!?)

Smoke was drawing near from around the corner, but he couldn't come up with their next move. But that very moment-- Yuuri spoke up.

Huh... Yuuri?
Hikorin, you haven't come back yet. Time has still stopped for you. Just like it has been ever since that fateful day nine years ago.
...!

Natsuhiko couldn't believe what he saw. That was the same warning Yuuri gave him on September 13.

It's still stopped...?
Yes. And that's why I... have been rewinding your memory over and over to get your time to move once more. Even if those memories lead to today. Even if those memories hide a bitter truth...

Natsuhiko still couldn't quite understand what Yuuri was saying.

(But I do understand what's going to happen now...)

That was something that Natsuhiko had already come to digest.

(Whenever Yuuri says these things, that bizarre phenomenon always occurs, doesn't it...!?)

The date was 9/14. The time 6:59. Two days before this incident.

(Ahh... I see. That was the day our daily lives came crashing down.)

His vision went dark. And in the darkness, he heard her voice.

So please, Hikorin. Try not to avert your eyes...!

And as Yuuri appealed to him thusly-- Natsuhiko's consciousness returned to September 14.

Things are only going to escalate from here.

VOTING

And thus, we reach the end of the September 13th chapter, and will soon move on into the September 14th chapter. Natsuhiko's desire for peaceful days is being met with more and more resistance, and it seems like things are just about to fall apart. A terrorist plot seems to be brewing, and Mashiro seems to be getting in over her head in trying to stop it. Ukita warned us of anti-Communicator extremists. In times like these, it is important to know just who you trust.

So make your choice, and pick between Bottom, Low, Middle, High and Top for Natsuhiko, Yuuri, Mashiro and Salyu.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

High Natsuhiko, top everyone else

And I dunno why the game is being a poo poo to Natsuhiko. Mashiro is in the wrong here. This isn't one of her Japanese animes, terrorism is serious poo poo. Like if she really wanted a confrontation then she should have had a plan. I don't know why Yuuri is giving us a huge loving guilt trip over this, especially since this sort of foolhardiness got us killed in the other route.

I'm glad the game resolved the thing with the couple.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SSNeoman posted:

And I dunno why the game is being a poo poo to Natsuhiko. Mashiro is in the wrong here. This isn't one of her Japanese animes, terrorism is serious poo poo. Like if she really wanted a confrontation then she should have had a plan. I don't know why Yuuri is giving us a huge loving guilt trip over this, especially since this sort of foolhardiness got us killed in the other route.

That's the thing though - that's exactly why Natsuhiko is wrong in his mindset. His mindset is to place safety above everything, but that means not getting involved with that situation. And not getting involved in the situation means that Mashiro is going to die because she's way in over her head. Mashiro needs him now, and Natsuhiko isn't seeing that. That's what Yuuri wants to get through to him - there are people that need him other than her, but he's rejecting them all in favor of her.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheMcD posted:

That's the thing though - that's exactly why Natsuhiko is wrong in his mindset. His mindset is to place safety above everything, but that means not getting involved with that situation. And not getting involved in the situation means that Mashiro is going to die because she's way in over her head. Mashiro needs him now, and Natsuhiko isn't seeing that. That's what Yuuri wants to get through to him - there are people that need him other than her, but he's rejecting them all in favor of her.
And considering what we found in the stairwell on the other route :v:

Also he's being a giant wet blanket about being safe and Yuuri's right: what he perceives as growth is stagnation. You don't grow by avoiding problems you grow by solving them. A more proactive Natsuhiko might have made plans with Mashiro or correctly told her she was being really dumb about this without having her go 'THEN I'LL JUST DO IT BY MYSELF!'

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Mashiro top, Yuuri middle, everyone else high.

I'm getting the feeling Yuuro's pushing Natsuhiko to believe in himself more, on top of remembering he has other people to look after.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

SSNeoman posted:

I'm glad the game resolved the thing with the couple.

Suffice it to say: Mashiro isn't an idiot. Trust in Mashiron.

Also he's not avoiding dealing with it because it's dangerous, he's avoiding dealing with it because he doesn't want to reach beyond his little bubble.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

SSNeoman posted:

Yep, this seems like an okay idea.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm gonna go with Low Natsuhiko, considering what Yuuri's saying about him being mentally regressed or whatever.

Seconding the Top everyone else.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

No bad ends, you say?

Everyone bottom

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Top Salyu, she took a bullet for us
High Mashiro, gotta find out what happened to Sirius
Middle Yuuri
Low Nat

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

OddHaberdasher posted:

Middle Yuuri
Low Nat

imma second this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Cyouni posted:

Suffice it to say: Mashiro isn't an idiot. Trust in Mashiron.

Also he's not avoiding dealing with it because it's dangerous, he's avoiding dealing with it because he doesn't want to reach beyond his little bubble.

I dunno, I don't get that vibe myself. Like despite how much we're in Natsuhiko's head he hasn't shown to be much of a wimp and has been level-headed in almost every situation. Like okay he likes his peaceful life but so what? Mashiro is almost autistic in how much she prizes kid-Natsuhiko and doesn't seem to understand or value his feelings despite obviously liking him a lot. Like he's dealing with a PTSD Yuuri and a cold absentee mother who treats him like a lab experiment. I don't blame him for not trying to play hero.
Ah well whatever, we're following the railroad anyway let's just get to the end so we can see what the deal in LABO is. I don't like this route tbh, it's a huge letdown compared to rootAfter. We don't really have choices here so much as we're led by the nose.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

OddHaberdasher posted:

Middle Yuuri
Low Nat

For what it's worth I totally agree with you 100%, SSNeoman, but we have to remember we are an anime here. v:shobon:v

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I dunno, I don't get that vibe myself. Like despite how much we're in Natsuhiko's head he hasn't shown to be much of a wimp and has been level-headed in almost every situation. Like okay he likes his peaceful life but so what? Mashiro is almost autistic in how much she prizes kid-Natsuhiko and doesn't seem to understand or value his feelings despite obviously liking him a lot. Like he's dealing with a PTSD Yuuri and a cold absentee mother who treats him like a lab experiment. I don't blame him for not trying to play hero.
Ah well whatever, we're following the railroad anyway let's just get to the end so we can see what the deal in LABO is. I don't like this route tbh, it's a huge letdown compared to rootAfter. We don't really have choices here so much as we're led by the nose.

I will point out every time he tries to retreat back into his bubble, it's led to a bad end so far. Fail to reach out to Salyu, dead. Fail to trust Salyu, dead. Fail to trust in Mashiro enough, dead.

I will also say that certain points in the route amuse me, and I will be happy to point out why once it's safe.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, let's close the voting. The results:

Salyu: 7
Mashiro: 6
Yuuri: 5
Natsuhiko: 3

EDIT: For those wondering, no update today. I just recorded the entirety of the next chapter, and it clocks in at about 1 hour and 45 minutes, vastly more than the last ones. This will probably finish rendering by the time I go to sleep.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yuuri's telling us this with some kind of telepathic hindsight. When you're already going to be involved in investigating terrorism, you don't gain anything by putting it out of your head.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

CHANGING MORNINGS: 09/14/2030, 06:59

Although this morning wasn't particularly unpleasant, he still felt somehow depressed. The sound of rain could be heard from outside the window. It had temporarily let up last night, but appeared to have started pouring down once more.

Salyu was probably still sleeping.

Where's Mashiro?
...She hasn't come.
Thought so...

Mashiro would often not come to the house the day after a fight. Yuuri glared at Natsuhiko judgmentally.

Mmgh...!
Don't glare at me like that... If anything, last night was Mashiro's fault. She suddenly said something absurd and then got mad because I wouldn't believe her.
...You still should've believed in her then.
No way... That's crazy talk.

Natsuhiko was a little dejected that even Yuuri was criticizing him.

Say, Yuuri, I'm sure even you understand how seriously this city takes its public order, right? There's no way a terrorist plot could unravel here, could it? Even if it did, what could we do? Fight the terrorists empty-handed? This isn't some Hollywood blockbuster, you know.
True, but...

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6, Yuuri at 5 and Natsuhiko at 3.

Regret not doing anything? Why?
I just get that sort of feeling...

Yuuri said no more. The rain outside sounded somehow softer than silence.

Yeah. That would be best.

Once Natsuhiko gave into the pressure and said that, Yuuri smiled with her whole face.

(... But still, what should I actually do? Is there something I can do that both Mashiro and Yuuri would agree with...?)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- Salyu showed up in the living room.

Just got up. You, Salyu?
Me too. ...I overslept a little.

Salyu looked around the room and continued.

Where's Mashiro?
She's not here today.
Why not?
Try and take a guess...
...?

Salyu tilted her head in confusion.

Well, I think she'll come tomorrow. She'll be all like 'see how much you need little ol' me now?' and stuff.
I already do. No Mashiro means no food.
Yeah. Sorry, but we'll have to settle for a meager breakfast today.

And with that, Natsuhiko tossed some bread into the toaster.

(But still, it's been one thing or another every morning lately, huh...)

It wasn't like this at all just a few days ago. But today's event-- Mashiro's absence-- was particularly rough on Natsuhiko's heart. He honestly believed that his daily routine would continue forever, and yet--

(... Would it really?)

--and yet now that question rose up inside his heart.

(One day, my peace could end. One day, I could lose those close to me. One day, my precious memories could crumble-- Each of those things is clearly possible. So have I just been averting my eyes from the inevitable...?)

It was a question he had put little thought to, but it nonetheless tore at his heart.

(... Wait, why am I even worrying about this?)

Natsuhiko shook his head as if to clear it of unnecessary thoughts.

Yuuri just watched him silently.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY: 09/14/2030, 08:15

Whew, looks like we made it...
Mmm...? Mashiro's not here.
Ah, you're right...

Now that he got a good look, Mashiro's seat was empty. He couldn't even see her bag nearby.

...Guess she's taking the day off. Maybe she caught a cold...

Natsuhiko said as he sat in his seat. Eventually Ena entered the classroom.

Akagawa.
Male Student 1: Here.
Ino.
Female Student 1: Heeere.
Oda--

And thus, roll call commenced. But as she eventually got to Natsuhiko's name--

--Tenkawa.
Here.
Toba. ...Ms. Toba? Huh? Is Ms. Toba taking today off? That's odd... She didn't contact us beforehand.
Huh?

That could only mean that Mashiro was in a rush and skipped school without permission. Even though she was not usually the type to be truant.

(... Don't tell me...?)

So in that case, we gotta thwart the terrorism ourselves!

But judging by how Mashiro was yesterday, that did indeed seem plausible.

(... I don't know on what basis she believes there's an actual terrorist plot, but whatever it is, it's definitely not a problem that a mere high schooler can solve.)

In fact, Mashiro's actions could cause some sort of danger. That was the vague premonition he was getting.

(I guess I'll go look for her after school...)

Afterwards, Natsuhiko continued his classes somewhat absentmindedly. And as lunch break began-- There was still no sign of Mashiro.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

INCIDENT: 09/14/2030, 12:31

So to prepare for afternoon classes, Natsuhiko b0ught some bread and ate it in the classroom. He and Salyu spoke sparingly.

...That sandwich good?
It's okay.
I see...

Without Mashiro as their mood maker, conversation just wasn't happening between them.

(I never thought this would be how I'd learn how much of a blessing it was to have Mashiro around...)

The moment that thought crossed Natsuhiko's mind-- An announcement came streaming out of a speaker affixed to the classroom wall.

Male Teacher: ...Th-this is an emergency broadcast. We've just received a report that a dangerous object was set inside school grounds...! Students, please remain calm and follow faculty instructions. Please evacuate to the schoolyard for now.
--!?

Natsuhiko gasped. And the whole class stirred in unrest.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

Male Student 1: A dangerous object!? For real!?
Male Student 2: N-no way... could this possibly have something to do with the commotion they've been talking about on the news...?
Female Student 1: No! What the heck!? Why are they targeting our school!?

The students' agitation created a positive feedback loop, quickly turning the classroom into a turbulent echo chamber.

A dangerous object...? Like what...!?
If they need to evacuate the students, then I assume it's either an explosive or a gas bomb.
A bo...!

Natsuhiko choked on his words.

(No way... You mean Mashiro was right?)

The moment Natsuhiko considered that possibility, Ena came rushing into the classroom.

Her voice was more forceful, her expression colder than usual.

Life is long, so pipe down and listen up for now! First, everyone take your seats!

The students sat in their seats as instructed. Ena quickly scanned the classroom for empty seats.

...Okay, so that's everyone with the exception of Ms. Toba. So now we begin evacuation. Line up in seat order and follow me!

The students muttered amongst themselves as they nervously stood up.

(At the very least, it looks like they're serious about the dangerous object... Then assuming there really is a terrorist or whatever... what if Mashiro went to search for them and actually ran into them...? Impossible. Such a stupid coincidence could never happen!)

But despite his rejection of the idea, he couldn't shake off the anxiety he felt. Without thinking, Natsuhiko suddenly stopped in his tracks.

...? What's wrong, Mr. Tenkawa? Get in the evacuation line.
O-okay...

As he answered-- Natsuhiko heard a voice in his ear.

{But Hikorin, you might regret not doing anything.}

Natsuhiko gasped at those words. They were the words Yuuri had said this morning. And one second later, Natsuhiko opened his mouth--

...No, Professor.

--and out came words he had never expected to say.

I'm sorry, but may I leave early?
Huh!?

Ena, and even Salyu opened their eyes in surprise.

Natsuhiko?
Wh—what are you talking about!? Let's just evacuate first!
Um... yeah, I guess that would make sense... But I'm worried about Mashiro’s safety.

It was something that the usual Natsuhiko would never say.

I'm really sorry, but I'm leaving.
Huh? Ah! Hey! Wait!

He heard Ena, but chose to ignore her. He flew out of the classroom to find Mashiro.

Thanks to that, he could search outside without needing an umbrella.

So for now, he just took out his PDA and tried to call her, but--

Dammit, it won't connect!

It was ringing, but Mashiro wouldn't pick up.

(Is she still mad about yesterday?)

He was fine with it if she wouldn't pick up. If she -couldn't- pick up due to injury or other danger, that would be a different story, though.

(Oh well, I guess I'll go look on foot...)

The moment he made that decision, he heard Salyu's voice from behind.

Natsuhiko, what are you trying to do?

Because you suddenly ran off. More importantly, why didn't you evacuate as you were told?
It should be obvious. I'm looking for Mashiro.
For Mashiro? Why?
Actually, last night, she--

Natsuhiko gave a simple explanation for what happened last night.

--Terrorists. That's...
Well, I think she's somehow mistaken, but for now, yeah, that's what we're going with.
But if that's true, then there could be danger involved. In which case, I need to protect you.
I see...

Actually, he didn't see. As always, he didn't quite understand her, but there was no time for discussion.

Okay, then let's search together.
Roger. Any guesses where Mashiro went?
None. But we need to start searching regardless.

And with that, the two of them ran into the rain.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 31, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

TheMcD posted:

(At the very least, it looks like they're serious about the dangerous object... Then assuming there really is a terrorist or whatever... what if Mashiro went to search for them and actually ran into them...? Impossible. Such a stupid coincidence could never happen!)

Ahem.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

HER FEELINGS: 09/14/2030, 12:59

But there was no sign that they would find her.

We should rest a bit. We've already been running around for 20 minutes.
Khh... guess you're right.

Natsuhiko combed through his disheveled hair and took a few deep breaths.

...Dammit, Mashiro, you're not making it any easier for us...!

As he muttered that, Salyu responded in a cold voice.

You've been cursing this whole time, Natsuhiko. If it's that frustrating, then you don't have to look for her. Besides, you think Mashiro’s mistaken about there being terrorists, don't you?
I may not believe her about the terrorists, but regardless, I'm still worried about her. Our friend is suddenly gone. You can understand that I'd be worried, right?
No, I don't understand. Your words and your actions contradict. If you don't believe Mashiro, then why don't you just leave her alone?
What!?
According to you, there are no terrorists. In that case, leaving Mashiro alone would be the obvious thing to do.
...That's kind of dry.

Natsuhiko was a little perturbed.

You've received quite a bit of Mashiro’s favor too, haven't you Salyu?
That's a completely different story. I'm just giving a logical conclusion.
Hey... don't you think you're being a little too cold? You're not gonna make any friends like that.
...!

Natsuhiko regretted those words as soon as they left his lips. That was essentially an outburst of anger. But Salyu calmly replied.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

That's fine. It's impossible for me to have friends anyway.
Hey... That's not fine at all. They say humans need others in order to live.
Then let me turn the question around. What exactly is a 'friend'?
Huh...? A friend is someone you frequently do stuff with... And, well, you share in each other's fun times and sad times, I guess?

Natsuhiko gave a general answer to Salyu's blunt question.

Yes. That's what I've heard friends were like. And that's why it's impossible for me to make friends.
It's not impossible, is it? If you think normally...
It really is impossible.

Salyu interrupted Natsuhiko-- and informed him of a truth he had never heard before.

I cannot understand other people's feelings at all. Because my brain lacks that function.
Wh-what...?

Natsuhiko unintentionally gasped.

B-but Salyu, you still have emotions, don't you?
Of course. Even I can have emotions.
Then can't you just apply that to other people...?
No, I cannot. Even though I understand that other people have emotions, I cannot comprehend how those emotions change. That is my defect. What I lost in exchange for high functionality elsewhere.
...!
All I can do is judge whether to believe or to reject the words of others. Nonverbal and finely nuanced expressions of emotion are beyond my comprehension. And now you say you don't believe there are terrorists. And yet you're looking for Mashiro. That's a contradiction. I'm just confused about that.

Salyu hung her head as she finished.

(Is that even possible...?)

But despite his doubts, he felt a sinking feeling in his stomach.

(I see now... So that's why she treasures Alice so much.)

Salyu said that ARMS was a device meant to read the moods of others. So that was why she couldn't ever be without it. If she couldn't understand other people's feelings, then she had no choice but to trust in Alice's judgment.

...Is it genetic?
Yes, I believe so. The brain is just another part of the body, after all. Just as the body has its own physical dispositions, it's only natural for the brain to have its own as well. Natsuhiko, you don't understand the feelings of trees, or flowers, or insects, do you?
N-no... I really can't say that I do.
It's probably the same concept. I cannot tell the difference between a human mind and an insect mind. My brain does not even attempt to process the feelings of others.
That's just so--

--so sad. Natsuhiko forcibly swallowed that word down. Because Salyu most likely was not seeking pity when she told him this truth. But still, Natsuhiko wanted to at least say something, so he tried his best to wring some words out.

...BC... That's it. BC can help you understand other people's minds, can't it...?

Sure enough, Salyu supposedly had Rank D Aptitude. She could learn how to use empathy. It would take a considerable amount of effort, but it wouldn't be impossible. And if she did, it would make living easier for her, or so Natsuhiko thought--

There's no hope for that. My actual aptitude is Rank F. Ability's nonexistent as well.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

Rank F Aptitude specified that one was unable to use BC at all. In other words, no amount of effort would ever allow one to use BC.

W-wait, then why did Prof. Tsubakiyama say you were Rank D...?
Because Rokumei Academy does not accept applicants with Rank F Aptitude. Dr. Tenkawa forged my medical certificate.

Salyu nodded plainly. It was hard to believe-- but judging by her expression, it didn't seem dubious at all.

...So you really can't use it?
I have tried practicing in the past, though. I thought that if I could use BC, I could understand people's feelings. But it was impossible for me. When Mashiro was teaching us yesterday, I finally got motivated again. But it's not a problem of motivation.
I've long since given up. There's no way I can understand other people's minds. I came to Japan, met all of you, and had fun, but... at times, I've also been confused, and also scared. Perhaps I really wasn't meant to interact with other people.
(How exactly must that feel...!?)

To be unable to understand others no matter how much you try. To be the only one left out when everyone else around you reaches understanding of what's on each others' minds-- Natsuhiko was at a loss just trying to imagine it.

(I see... Salyu's relationship to others is like the relationship between Communicators and ordinary people.)

Once he thought about it that way, a memory of the past arose from the back of his mind. --When he was young, Natsuhiko was the center of attention for the neighborhood kids. Back then, Natsuhiko loved BC. Without thinking too deeply about it, he yearned to be something special, which was why he dreamed of becoming a Communicator. But right before he got into elementary school, he learned that he really did have the aptitude to become one for real... And thus it was decided that he and Mashiro would enroll in Rokumei Academy.

People stopped gathering in the park they always played in. The only ones to stay with Natsuhiko were Yuuri and Mashiro.

Huh, nobody's here today either... Why'd everyone leave?
They said we'd always be friends even once we started elementary school...

Yuuri spoke up after Natsuhiko and Mashiro muttered those words.

...It's because we're Communicators and the others are ordinary people.
Huh?
They might be scared of us reading their minds...

Since Yuuri was two years their senior, she likely had a better understanding of society. Particularly the social implications surrounding Communicators.

What's up with that...? I don't get it at all.
...But we can't even use telepathy yet...

They could do nothing but deny Yuuri's observation. Which only made her smile sadly.

That's true, but still... Just because we know that doesn't mean we can convince them to believe it too.

Natsuhiko just couldn't comprehend what Yuuri was implying. But he took her words and facial expression, and engraved them into his heart. --And that was possibly the first time Natsuhiko began to feel that he couldn't understand what was on other people's minds. But he was still okay with that. If he acquired the skill of empathy to read the minds of others, then he would be able to understand the feelings of those who distanced themselves from him. At least, that's what he had hoped--

Noooooo! No! Noooo!

Yuuri used to be calm no matter what the situation, but that all changed after the incident.

I don't want to go outside! I hate it! I don't wanna go!! Don't make me leave! Let me stay here!!

Natsuhiko found himself stunned and dumbfounded when faced with Yuuri's refusal to leave the house. Yuuri's transfiguration made Natsuhiko sad, dejected, and regretful to the core... As well as a little frightened.

And Natsuhiko lost the motivation to train his BC ability as well. For if one day, he were to become able to read Yuuri's mind... And what he saw there was resentment towards him, then he...! He would probably never recover. While he did want to know what was in her heart, his fear of actually knowing far outweighed his curiosity to know. So instead-- he swore at the very least to watch over her. Even if his oath was worth nothing more than a pittance of atonement. Even if staying by her side had nothing to do with actually understanding her.

His fear of knowing what lied in other people's minds. And his fear of knowing what clouded his own mind as well. That was why he kept his distance from his classmates.

(But how is it with Salyu...?)

He thought back to the day she transferred in. Salyu avoided the other classmates and sat in her seat all alone.

(Does she avoid everyone in the same way that ordinary people avoid Communicators?)

That was somehow similar to what Natsuhiko did-- Which was why he couldn't help but say...

...Don't tell yourself you weren't meant to interact with other people.
Huh?
It's true that we can't understand other people's feelings. We all have times when we're confused. Times when we're scared. ...But we should still consider other people's feelings, shouldn't we?

--Natsuhiko thought that perhaps he wasn't the most qualified of people to speak on this subject. But regardless, he continued.

Right now as I speak, I'm trying in my own way to consider your feelings, Salyu. But is it really pointless for me to try?
... ...Hmm. So? Can you tell anything about my feelings?
...No, I can't. Because I'm not you, see?
Right. So in the end, it really was pointless--
You're wrong. When I say we can't understand other people's feelings, I don't just mean you and me, Salyu. Nobody truly can.
Huh...!? It's not just me... but everyone?
Yeah. That's right. After all, there are so many things different between you and me. Our genders. Our abilities. And so much more. So there's no way I can understand your feelings. ...And I'm sure that's a universal truth that applies to any two people.

Natsuhiko could not hope to know the world as Salyu observed it, and thus, neither could he hope to have a complete understanding of her feelings. The same went for Yuuri. Even with empathy, the best he could ever hope for was a glimpse of a small facet of her mind. And that's to say nothing of his fear of learning something he shouldn't. He had always thought this way. But--

But don't you think... we should still try our best to understand each other regardless?

Natsuhiko vocalized an idea that he himself had always been rejecting. But as he vocalized it, he gradually became more and more aware. Aware of how it was an idea that he had originally always held.

...You don't need a full understanding of what's on other people's minds. But as long as you keep striving for it... In other words, as long as you keep other people in consideration... Then I'm sure things will turn out for the best. Both for you and for those you interact with... And unless you afford that kindness to others, nobody will be kind to you, will they?
...That's the first time anyone has ever said that to me.
Well, it's the first time I've ever said it to anyone, too.
You're strange. I don't have the slightest idea what thought process led you to say something like that, Natsuhiko.
Yeah, you don't have to understand that either.
...I don't?
That way of thinking's just a lot less stressful, isn't it?

Salyu hung her head as if deep in thought. She eventually looked up and asked Natsuhiko a question.

...So basically, you're saying that's the reason you can frantically search for Mashiro while simultaneously cursing her name?
Huh? Uh... yeah. Exactly.

Because of the unexpected turn his conversation with Salyu had taken, Natsuhiko had forgotten about Mashiro for a moment.

I don't understand what she's thinking, but unless I find her and ask her myself, I'll never even get close to understanding her feelings, will I?
Is that what it means to worry about someone?
Yeah, probably.

A blue branch with Salyu at 7.

Salyu nodded with that and continued.

I still don't understand. I don't understand how your feelings are causing your words and actions to contradict, Natsuhiko. But... it did make me happy to hear that people in general can't understand other people's feelings.

♪ BGM: Words of Healing

It helps a little to know that. Thank you.

I-it wasn't anything you needed to thank me for, really. It's just...
Just what?
...Nah, it's nothing.

Natsuhiko swallowed his words. -The words were ''Even if people can't come to an understanding, perhaps they can come to a compromise.'' He did not say it because he thought it might just confuse Salyu again. And then after Salyu stared blankly at Natsuhiko for a while, she suddenly glared at him as if she remembered something.

That said, I worry about you too, Natsuhiko.
Huh? Why?
The way Mashiro blindly accepted unclear information and the way you're aimlessly chasing after her seem much the same in my perspective.
Ugh... yeah, that's true.
It's not like you'll find her by searching blindly. So first let's calm down and think about a way to find her. I'll help.
Y-yeah!

Natsuhiko replied enthusiastically to Salyu's proposition.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Finally! Thank you, Salyu.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Still not a fan of the amount of poo poo Natsuhiko is getting for refusing to follow Mashiro headlong into idiot-danger. As usual, the real answer is somewhere in the middle, but for the sake of the story we have two protagonists who took either side of the spectrum. I guess I lean closer to Natsuhiko's more realistic worldview than Mashiro's idealistic one, so it's frustrating to see Yuuri blame him for Mashiro's dumb life choice[s]. He was really damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either he joins Mashiro in their foolish errand, or he tells her no and she goes off on her own anyway. But we're in an anime so of course the protagonists are the one with the abilities and knowledge to save the day. v:shobon:v

I miss the Sirius team, at least they had the training to back up their rash choices.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mashiro really could have avoided all this, yeah.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

asymmetrical posted:

Still not a fan of the amount of poo poo Natsuhiko is getting for refusing to follow Mashiro headlong into idiot-danger. As usual, the real answer is somewhere in the middle, but for the sake of the story we have two protagonists who took either side of the spectrum. I guess I lean closer to Natsuhiko's more realistic worldview than Mashiro's idealistic one, so it's frustrating to see Yuuri blame him for Mashiro's dumb life choice[s]. He was really damned if you do, damned if you don't. Either he joins Mashiro in their foolish errand, or he tells her no and she goes off on her own anyway. But we're in an anime so of course the protagonists are the one with the abilities and knowledge to save the day. v:shobon:v
Yeah, it stinks of retroactive reasoning - Mashiro was technically right, so obviously Natsuhiko was a cowardly idiot for not running off to fight terrorists. Nevermind that most of the kids end up dying in the LABO disaster anyway.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
okay, so Salyu is basically autistic. That makes a lot of things make sense. I really liked how Natsuhiko talked to her after she admitted her deficits. I wish somebody had given me that speech when I was a teenager. :smith:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Really if they cut the bits apart and re-arranged them I think I'd be way more sympathetic to Mashiro and Salyu.

quote:

And Natsuhiko lost the motivation to train his BC ability as well. For if one day, he were to become able to read Yuuri's mind... And what he saw there was resentment towards him, then he...! He would probably never recover. While he did want to know what was in her heart, his fear of actually knowing far outweighed his curiosity to know. So instead-- he swore at the very least to watch over her. Even if his oath was worth nothing more than a pittance of atonement. Even if staying by her side had nothing to do with actually understanding her.

Hey you know what would have made a fantastic flashback? this bit right here. Show, don't tell.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 1, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

SSNeoman posted:

Hey you know what would have made a fantastic flashback? this bit right here. Show, don't tell.
Eh, they're probably doing the anime "talk about a big incident for ages, but don't actually show it to the viewer until 50 hours later" thing. It's annoying, but happens a lot.

Even that specific scene is probably going to come up when the writers finally deem us worthy of knowing what The Big Thing is.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, it stinks of retroactive reasoning - Mashiro was technically right, so obviously Natsuhiko was a cowardly idiot for not running off to fight terrorists. Nevermind that most of the kids end up dying in the LABO disaster anyway.

I will point out that there are still two full days before the explosion at LABO. A lot of things can happen in two days.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FAR BEYOND: 09/14/2030, 13:14

How do you suppose we search for one girl in a town this big?
Have you tried calling her?
Yeah. But she wouldn't pick up.

Salyu pondered for a second before coming up with an answer.

If you can't reach her by phone, then how about using telepathy?
Huh!?
When we first met at the scene of that accident, you used powerful telepathy. Can't you use that to contact Mashiro without having to know where she is?
...Telepathy, huh.

According to Ukita, Natsuhiko's telepathy apparently reached as far as a kilometer away. And he knew Mashiro's characteristic brain waveform quite well after all the practice they had done. But Natsuhiko had never consciously used telepathy on his own.

Can I do it...?
Mashiro said that the trick to using telepathy was to focus on the words you want to convey from the bottom of your heart. It might be amateurish thinking on my part, but I think you can do it now that you're sincerely worried about Mashiro.
Yeah... maybe I can. Okay, got it! I'll give it a try!

Natsuhiko resolved himself and placed a finger to his temple. It was the same basic stance Mashiro had used to facilitate telepathy.

Okay. I'll cheer you on. Go for it, Natsuhiko.
Sorry, please be quiet for a second. I need to concentrate.
...Okay.

Salyu fell silent. In the midst of the soft sound of the pouring rain, Natsuhiko concentrated with all his mind. He couldn't dare use mass untargeted telepathy. He absolutely needed to make sure his message had directionality.

(--First I need to make myself keenly aware of Mashiro's characteristic brain waveform.)

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Natsuhiko at 3.

The waveform associated with gentle people who try their hardest to help others. He thought of her and focused hard on the words he wanted to tell her. ''--Mashiro, where are you? Why won't you pick up? Salyu and I are worried. Contact us if you're okay.''

Though it was embarrassing to put it into words, it was indeed true that he was concerned about her. That concern intensified in his heart. ''--Can you hear me, Mashiro? Didn't I tell you before not to make me worry so much...?''

As he finished wringing out those thoughts, suddenly--

The surrounding sound of the rain disappeared.

(...?)

For a second, he thought the rain had stopped. But that wasn't it. The rain was still falling. He merely stopped hearing the rain because his five senses had dampened.

A strange sixth sense beyond his usual five.

(Wh... what's going on? It's like I can feel my own brain cranking...!)

The world was full to the brim with BC particles. And Natsuhiko felt as if he could sense their very movement through his brain.

(... This...! This is BC!?)

Natsuhiko concentrated even further. He focused on the complex, minute electrical signals that formed his desired message.

{--Mashiro, where are you!? Contact me!}

The message loaded onto the BC particles in his brain and were expelled out into the world--!

----
--

Eventually, he snapped back to reality once he heard Salyu's voice.

Huh... what happened?
You suddenly turned pale and surprised me. Are you okay?
Y—yeah, probably.

Now that he thought about it, he remembered what Ena had said. ''BC use can cause the five senses to dampen, and in certain cases, even vital signs like body temperature and pulse can drop.'' That said, he hadn't heard a thing about complete hearing loss or turning pale. Perhaps those were side effects of the extreme concentration.

Well, I guess if I was able to concentrate that hard, maybe it actually did reach Mashiro...

That would be assuming Mashiro was currently less than a kilometer away from them. With that thought in mind, they waited for a little while, but still did not receive any contact from her.

...Maybe it failed.

Once that utterance eventually left his lips-- An electronic sound chimed from within Natsuhiko's pocket.

What's that?
An e-mail!

Natsuhiko took out his PDA and opened his e-mail. The display showed the following response:

The White Tiger Gate...? Why would she be at a place like that?

Natsuhiko cocked his head after he finished reading the e-mail.

What's that?
It's a city gate on the west side of town.

Tips posted:

TIP: City gates
Category: Fiction

The six main roads running through Rokumei City from the outside are all installed with inspection gates. The six gates:

Black Tortoise Gate (North)
Azure Dragon Gate (East)
White Tiger Gate (West)
Vermilion Bird Gate (West)
Rural Gate (Southeast)
Research Gate (Southwest)

The four cardinal gates are named after the four celestial guardians of Chinese mythology. Land incorporating all four guardians is said to be the ideal from a feng shui perspective. One famous city in Japan constructed with the four celestial guardians of the four cardinal points in mind is ancient Kyoto. According to the Nihon Kiryaku, Emperor Kanmu established ancient Kyoto as the capital as he saw the land as a suitable gathering spot for people from all four cardinal directions. The reason Rokumei City's gates include the four guardians is thought to be a means to parallel Emperor Kanmu's words as Rokumei City was established as a gathering spot for Communicators from all corners of the nation.

That said, the almost military-grade security cameras and tall fences bordering the city today make it not the most warmly welcoming of gathering spots. The only way to circumvent the fences would be to go through the tunnels underneath them, but even those tunnels are equipped with bulkheads, making the city a something of a landlocked island. Furthermore, if the bulkheads are forced open, a system is in place to automatically alert the police and the security department. Therefore, even if any intruders broke through by force, they'd be surrounded within minutes.

The existences of Rokumei City and the other government designated top secret cities are not exactly hidden in the same way as Pripyat was, but at the same time, ordinary citizens are not allowed to enter or leave without considerable business. As far as ordinary citizens living on the outside are concerned, these cities might as well not exist.

Rokumei City was surrounded by a fence in order to maintain public security. But obviously, there were entrances in the fence. There were six city gates in total, and the White Tiger Gate was one of them.

Looks like it...

The White Tiger Gate was about 2 km away from where they were. An effective range of 2 km made his latest use of telepathy even more far-reaching than what he did at the scene of the accident. It was hard to believe all of a sudden, but if Mashiro said she heard it, then it was probably true.

So, what do we do? Mashiro's saying she'll go to school once she's done with her business, so should we meet her there?
...No. Let's go to her. I want to know what exactly this business of hers is.
Roger. I'll accompany you.

It was not a distance that was impossible to run. So Natsuhiko and Salyu began running towards the city gate.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm going to imagine that Mashiro was so caught off guard by Natsuhiko not sucking arse at BC, that she forgot she was mad at him :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is this one of them dystopias, or are there like buses and such that'll get you through the gates, no problem?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
The way it's phrased, it seems that these days if you don't have a reason to be there (official business/family/BC user etc.), you aren't getting in (or out for that matter). So yes, it's one of them dystopias, but one that would probably be nice to visit every once in a long while.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm going to be honest, for the right tax breaks I'd live in a psychic dystopia and probably be pretty happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

GATE: 09/14/2030, 13:42

It was something of an inspection booth established on the main road that connected the city to the outside world. A guard was stationed at a box nearby. All people wishing to leave or enter the city were required to go through the proper paperwork beforehand. Then once at the gate, passage required proof of citizenship and a strict security check. The gates were thus seen as something of a status symbol befitting of a ''government designated top secret city''. As they got close, Salyu muttered.

Kind of an off-putting place...
Oh, you think so?
It almost gives the impression that the whole city is locked down.
Hmm... You're just reading too much into it.

The city was obviously not a prison. It was a little bit of a hassle, but normal citizens were certainly able to leave and enter the city. The gates and fence were actually dependable blessings since they served to blockade suspicious characters from entering the city.

Well, I guess it's not somewhere you'd like to stay too long. Let's find Mashiro quick and head back.
Mmm.

And with that, they looked around and found her soon enough. She was at a bus stop near the gate, seemingly waiting for a bus. She hadn't noticed them. They rushed up to her and called out.

Hey! What are you doing skipping school, Mashiro!?

Of course we did. You had us worried.
H-hmph. It's not like I asked you to come.
What?

A blue branch with Mashiro at 6 and Natsuhiko at 3.

'The terrorist investigation case is under my jurisdiction, boys. Hands off.' That sort of thing.

Mashiro still seemed to be mad about yesterday after all. Natsuhiko didn't understand what rubbed her the wrong way, but he did know that once she got like this, it was hard to get her to stop.

She probably had her own reason for being mad. But Natsuhiko laid off on that subject as he piled on the questions.

...Okay. That's fine for now. I admit I wasn't very receptive of you yesterday. But why are you searching for them yourself? Didn't I tell you to send a report to the police or the security department?
And I did, of course! Last night! But neither of them would take me seriously at all!

Natsuhiko thought that was the obvious response, but didn't say anything.

But then why are you alone at a place like this?
Well, since I couldn't count on the police or the security department either... I decided I had no choice but to go around the six city gates myself. I've been asking all the guards if they've seen any terrorist-y kind of people.
That's kind of straightforward... so, any results?
This is the sixth gate I've been to, but they've all told me that nobody with a suspicious background has come in or out...
I'd imagine.

It was unthinkable that terrorists could infiltrate this city that easily.

But optimism like that is the greatest danger. Mr. Ukita also said that there've been more people who hate Communicators in the city lately, remember? So you might not be an entirely unrelated party in all of this, Natsuhiko.
Well, that may be true, but... Don't you think there's quite a logical leap to get from what Mr. Ukita said to conclude that there must be terrorists around and whatnot?

Mashiro fell silent in mortification. But that's when Salyu cut in.

No, it really might be best not to be so optimistic. There was that dangerous object that was set at school today, after all.
Dangerous object!? What's that all about!?
Ah, well, at lunch break there was this announcement...--

As soon as Natsuhiko finished explaining what happened...

There was a bomb!? At school...!?
Well, no, we don't know for sure if it was a -bomb-.
Just making a guess based off of what the announcement said.
But it very well could be a bomb! Let's go back to school for now, you two!
That's what we were planning to do in the first place.

And right on cue, the bus arrived. The three of them boarded and headed for school.

• Locked thread