Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today I learned that if I give 5calls my zip code, I get a different rep than if I use my house address, and it's the same deal with the house.gov lookup. :sigh:

Well, at least I can get through to them - my senators still don't have working phones.

Do you have a voter registration card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The whole country's going right-to-work this week. Ye haw!

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-introduces-national-right-to-work-legislation/article/2613428

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

right-to-work
I wish the left was able to get ironic names like this to stick.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/826574964816019457

Yesss.

Mooooreeeee!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kekekela posted:

I wish the left was able to get ironic names like this to stick.
Our most pathetic defeat. When you allow a tax on estates that only affects the 0.01% to be labeled a "death tax" and can't even be bothered to try to turn that into a "billionaire's tax", then loving hell.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Frank Luntz has a book. He can't be a unique individual.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Can anyone tell me if a Federal contractor is barred from protesting or donating to political organizations? I know it seems like a dumb question but I'm genuinely curious. I remember when money was being raised to investigate the election results it specifically said as a Federal contractor I'm not allowed to donate. And I don't really want to ask my boss about it as I don't want to draw any negative attention to myself that could lead to me losing my job.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cheese posted:

Our most pathetic defeat. When you allow a tax on estates that only affects the 0.01% to be labeled a "death tax" and can't even be bothered to try to turn that into a "billionaire's tax", then loving hell.

This. The left hasn't learned the art of word play like the right has. I just think the right is much more aware of how braindead the American public is and uses it to their advantage.

It's not lowering taxes on the rich, it's "Lowering taxes on JOB CREATORS!"

Its not a set of laws designed to spy on the American public and maintain a database of "terror suspects" that no one seems to know how you get on the list, it's the "PATRIOT ACT" I mean who could be against something with the word Patriot in it amiright?

"DEATH TAX" was already mentioned and a perfect example of wordplay.

If you are PRO-LIFE that must mean the other side of the argument must be anti life right? Makes sense to me. /s

I could go on forever. The American people only care about easily accessible over simplified little bites of info about any issue and making little feel good buzzwords to describe a position fits perfectly into that mindset. It's unfortunate that the left should have to play that game too, but nuanced, thought out arguments doesn't work in the public sphere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

I could go on forever. The American people only care about easily accessible over simplified little bites of info about any issue and making little feel good buzzwords to describe a position fits perfectly into that mindset. It's unfortunate that the left should have to play that game too, but nuanced, thought out arguments doesn't work in the public sphere.

I mean we had the "Affordable Care Act" which everyone loved and was in support of, unlike that stupid failure Obamacare

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean we had the "Affordable Care Act" which everyone loved and was in support of, unlike that stupid failure Obamacare

Well I think this just goes to show how bad Democrats are with messaging. Barely anyone used or uses the proper ACA name. It was Obamacare before the law was even passed and that's all most people know it as. I guarantee that if and when the Republicans come up with some replacement plan they will message it in a way that it won't be called Trumpcare by most people and so when the midterms come around people who lost their insurance won't be so quick to blame the president. I'm speaking mainly of the very I'll informed types

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Okay, so, I spoke with an old friend who happens to be very conservative, extraordinarily ill-informed, and generally just stops arguing his points at the slightest pushback without actually engaging in debate. When pressed about the various issues, his basic response was, since he married into one of the elite families in MIssissippi (I know, I know), he just wasn't affected by anything and felt no urge to inform himself or defend his position.

Basically, he was willingly ignorant because he felt immune to any possible negative consequences of his personal politics. My immediate thought was, "How can I show this guy that he is being affected already?" We have to find out how to communicate to everyone about how badly the current political climate is gearing up to gently caress them over, or is already loving them over. If anyone has any ideas for how to get smug white guys to listen to reason, I'm all ears.

I understand it's probably wasted effort, but my area of the south is predominantly white and smug, so I've gotta work with what I've got.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Okay, so, I spoke with an old friend who happens to be very conservative, extraordinarily ill-informed, and generally just stops arguing his points at the slightest pushback without actually engaging in debate. When pressed about the various issues, his basic response was, since he married into one of the elite families in MIssissippi (I know, I know), he just wasn't affected by anything and felt no urge to inform himself or defend his position.

Basically, he was willingly ignorant because he felt immune to any possible negative consequences of his personal politics. My immediate thought was, "How can I show this guy that he is being affected already?" We have to find out how to communicate to everyone about how badly the current political climate is gearing up to gently caress them over, or is already loving them over. If anyone has any ideas for how to get smug white guys to listen to reason, I'm all ears.

I understand it's probably wasted effort, but my area of the south is predominantly white and smug, so I've gotta work with what I've got.

I think there's probably a better use of your time than trying to get someone who's willingly ignorant to somehow understand how hosed we all are.

This is going to be the big problem with the Muslim ban. A lot of white people are just going to shrug their shoulders and not care because it doesn't affect them even though it's fundamentally un-american. But that's how disintegration of rights begins, when it starts off slow and has tacit acceptance. Next thing you know, certain media outlets will be targeted and plenty of people will be OK with it because they already hate the nytimes/Washington Post etc. Trump has already pledged to this by "opening up the libel laws" and who knows where this can all lead.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
That may all be true, but if we don't figure out ways to stop that happening, things are going to race past us. With Bannon taking over the security council and gaining the authority to order actual, no poo poo, assassinations, we have to figure out ways to short-circuit or stop the fascists or else I get to pick my favorite wall to be shot in front of.

No lie, this isn't theoretical or distant, this is a clear and present danger looming over the heads of every American who doesn't want to live in Nazi Germany.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So I've been wanting to contact my representatives via phone or email/snail mail and tell them to vote no on Sessions/Price/Mnuchin but the thing is, I live in Arizona. One of the reddest states in the US. And I happen to live in one of the most conservative districts in my state. So is it a waste of time for me to even bother contacting my Republican representative or Senators McCain/Flake?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Charliegrs posted:

So I've been wanting to contact my representatives via phone or email/snail mail and tell them to vote no on Sessions/Price/Mnuchin but the thing is, I live in Arizona. One of the reddest states in the US. And I happen to live in one of the most conservative districts in my state. So is it a waste of time for me to even bother contacting my Republican representative or Senators McCain/Flake?

It might be a waste of time, but it takes like five minutes and lets them know there's at least one blue dot in the state. Please, do it. I'm probably talking to a wall to my own red reps, but it's better than not calling, the way I see it.

e:

Veyrall posted:

That may all be true, but if we don't figure out ways to stop that happening, things are going to race past us. With Bannon taking over the security council and gaining the authority to order actual, no poo poo, assassinations, we have to figure out ways to short-circuit or stop the fascists or else I get to pick my favorite wall to be shot in front of.

No lie, this isn't theoretical or distant, this is a clear and present danger looming over the heads of every American who doesn't want to live in Nazi Germany.

I don't have a good answer for you, and neither does my Dad. We were talking tonight about ways to teach empathy to others, and it's just...that's the question. How do you make someone care about other people? I'm not personally affected by the ban, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't give a poo poo - but I'm already sold on caring about other people and wanting them to be able to travel without fear.

I just... I'm sorry. I don't have an answer. :(

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 1, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Do call them. Name one thing they've done that you like and support and say that you'll have to campaign against them if they don't move against Trump. Ask a specific uncomfortable question and ask for a response in writing. Do this over the phone for each issue.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
In by popular demand:

Tias little Black Book of Protest Tips

Sometimes, well, most times, populations find that they don't agree with their ruling class. The democratic process is supposed to alleviate this, but in fact is most often a lie reproduced by capitalist propaganda to keep you exploited and 1% of the population living in opulent luxury. This leads to the conscious proletariat considering other options than the ballot.

Pictured: A breakdown in communication

In order to participate in a protest gone sour effectively, the most important thing you can do is be prepared, decide your level of involvement, and getting organized.

Preparation

No one can prepare for every eventuality, but after being involved in social movements for a while, you tend to get a nose for which protests are going to turn violent, either through long-nurtured desperation on the part of protestors or( much more often) police escalation and targeted provocation on political orders. These are the events you need to prepare for :eng101:

On a macro-scale, your movement should have efficient support networks. There's a science to organizing effective protests and social movements, which I'm not going to go into here as it is its own :can: - but for the purpose of conflict with cops and security, whoever organizes the protest should think of CONTACTS and MEDICS.

CONTACTS are police liaison contacts. They are specifically training for and responsible for communication between protest organizers and the police. In nations with a long history of social unrest the police usually plays ball and tells the contacts if they are going to arrest someone and for what, or if they want to decide to allow a protest to continue down the planned path - and are willing to negotiate in order to keep a protest looking good and orderly. This can be used to your advantage, if your target is a specific location you want to invade, squat or sabotage you can 'give and take', following some directions from the task force captains in order to confuse them on others. Being a competent liaison for the police is an art form, and usually your city labor or student organization has a pool of skilled or at least willing people to take this one.

This page has some good general pointers on communicating with police at protests if you're completely clueless: http://www.activistrights.org.au/handbook/ch03s03.php

MEDICS are street medics. Their only job is keeping triage, getting injured people out of the line of police violence and treating CS gas/pepper spray cases. Ideally, they are not going to treat more complex injuries, as much as providing psychological first aid and keeping areas clear so paramedics can get to the seriously injured. All protestors should ideally help confronting the cops and un-arresting injured( and uninjured!) protestors, but having a corps of skilled medics on hand is simple priceless during a riot, and no responsible protest organizers should go without.

Really good medics can even pull off tricks like removing tear gas in seconds using mineral oil, or rally fleeing protestors by throwing back burning gas grenades - never leave home without 'em!

There are several nifty resources on the internet, I've never been a street medic, but this one looks good: http://www.paperrevolution.org/street-medic-guide/

Ideally, you shouldn't have to think of these things( more on this in Getting Organized), but you should definitely get your own affairs in order before heading out.

I guess this needs a section on preparing for actions as well, but I'm running out of time. One essential piece of advice is to leave your phones and other wireless devices at home whenever you meet to plan anything. Bugging is ubiquitous, even back in the day of Nokia bricks cops would install listening devices in them whenever protestors were arrested - and it's a thousand times worse today.

Personal Gear

Dressed for battle? A lot of people who want to fit in against an adversarial police presence dress alike. I'll touch on black bloc tactics further below, but for know it's good to realize the benefits of dressing in featureless, face-concealing clothing of a colour that matches protestors around you. Often a protest will mean people use shirst or scarves of the same colour, and at least here in Denmark we have used it as a coordinating metric for various kinds of tactics: Purple bloc tries to jump fences and flank police, green bloc forms chains and push back the police, red block break open doors, and so on.. To each their own. The point is that you want to conceal your face, and don't show hair, piercings/tattoos or other things that can be used to identify you on police or scab surveillance.

Carry a bunch of half-litre bottles of water, plastics only. Depending on local ordinances, this may get you out of 'carrying object with intent to harm' charges, though masking yourself during a protest is illegal nearly everywhere( here in Denmark, even having a handkerchief in your pocket within a mile of a protest can be subject to a fine :eng99: ), so try to stay a stone's throw away from cops at all times unless you have some business closer to them!

Snacks are good, I don't know much about nutrition but I found that fruit, nuts and candy bars gave me that sugar rush I needed on occasion!

Going to get gassed? Always assume it's going to happen. The level of protection necessary depends on the concentration of CS used, really. The first warning stuff never really affected me, though unpleasant you can power through it. The heavy stuff will burn your eyes, nose and lungs something fierce, and you should really try not to get it in you.

A genuine gas mask is a good investment, though police often take a dim view of people wearing them. ALWAYS inspect the filter properly, having an experienced protestor taking a look at it if in doubt. You'd much rather be safe than sorry.

For engagements that don't last too long, I recommend swimmer's glasses and a scarf in front of the nose and mouth, or a simple pollution mask - that should work against both CS and pepper spray. Allegedly it's now in vogue to cut a large water tank bottle in two,and strap one half to your face. I have no experience doing this, but I'd fear gas could get stuck behind it. For the same reason, never wear contacts near gas, it can get stuck in their and burn your cornea.

If you're seriously affected, ditch your out layer of clothing, as some of you may know it's actually a crystallized dispersation rather than gas, and it stays on you for a long time. When you get home, wash gas-affected clothing separately, airing it out if you have to.

If you have a particular objective, you may want to carry tools to that end, but carrying a crowbar or ladder around cops may provoke them. Stay safe, keep your buddies around and organize distractions( see below).

Decide Your Level of Involvement

Assuming some of you are completely new to protesting, how do you participate in a way that you're comfortable with, and that will keep you safe?

Knowing how far you want to go is essential. If your local struggle has reached a point where you need to show the cops you mean business, that's well and good, but are you prepared to fight another human being? Self-defense classes, workshops that prepare you for detainment and arrest and some soul searching are all good ideas before you actually throw a brick at anyone.

Once you know what you want to do, you can easier find out how to organize with like-minded protestors, and how to equip yourself for the job at hand.

The real gem I have to impart here is: Don't go at it alone. Talk to others who have protested before, listen to their experiences, and see if they can coach you on what is right for you to do.

Going out of your personal depth can lead to traumatic experiences, burnout and depression. Don't neglect this step.

Organization

There are already thousands upon thousands of organizations with experience resisting the state. Seek them out, and soak up all the help you can from them. Labor and student organizations are traditionally where the bulk of protest experience resides, but even smaller regions may have legal, logistic and training organizations you can draw upon for help - these movements will likely already have a wealth of people experienced as protest organizers, press activists, medics and other essential roles, and you can learn the specific roles that interest you that way.

This bit is really important: I can offer my own experiences all day long, but nothing gets you prepared for street level activism faster than getting organized with other students or workers and listening well. No one will turn you away if you show willingness and persistence, and from there you can quickly start getting experience yourself under the watchful eye of those who have gone before.

I'm going to present you with two of the most common organizational methods I've encountered in my years as a protestor, but don't discount others. From the teacher's union turned riot brigade to the traditional miner and dock worker shock batallions, it takes all sorts.

THE AFFINITY GROUP

The affinity group is the smallest unit of organization on the radical scene: Between 2 and 20( usually) people who share bonds of ideology, views on tactics and/or personal friendship, who band together. I'm including it because the complete newbie can organize one with their friends, in the event that there are literally no group sympathetic to your cause and/or willing to take action near you!

The beauty of the affinity group during street protest in particular, is the level of trust shared. A good affinity group is formed between friends who are equally committed to breaking the law, creating a better world and not snitching on the other members! With this level of loyalty, spectacular actions can be planned in secrecy, and most of the groups getting up to a lot of illegal poo poo( ALF, Earth First etc.) are organized in this matter for the same reason.

Affinity groups are autonomous by nature, but you can either organize events together with sympathetic groups, or organize a larger affinity group that can divide into smaller segments for multi-stage actions. This is important both if a plan needs more moving parts( one group drops a banner from a roof-top, another hands out flyers, a third watches for the cops) or if you need to keep up pressure on an area( one group fights the cops for a while, then withdraw to shower, eat and recoup while a fresh group gets stuck in).

THE BLACK BLOC

The Black Bloc are the guys usually associated with the frightening anarchist rioters: Dressing identically, they avoid identification by surveillance and take on a uniform appearance that can confuse police and promote a sense of solidarity, as well as protect the face against spray and gas.

The black bloc ideally holds workshops among interested members to train for confrontation with the police, but far more often is just a disorganized force that unites because of agreement on the need to wreck corporate-owned or enviromentally unconscious properties and fight the police.

Since this tactic will get you stuck in with riot police, armoured gloves are good idea, as are arm braces: A simple recipe is just cutting a traffic cone in two, painting it black and strapping it to your arm - some padding is advisable, though! Motorcycle helmets are also really good to ward off truncheon blows, and steel street signs can be converted to shields.

When organized, this form of organization is really versatile! Popular black bloc tactics involve making huge plastic shields that lock together, breaking police lines with wedge-shaped charges! In Denmark blocs trained getting out of zip-lock cuff lines by pushing up the person in front of you by pushing their butt up till they stood upright, while others threw bicycle chains into power lines to blackout entire parts of the city. Be creative, talk to others, be prepared.

On Violence

I'm really loath to offer my own experience on violent tactics in the struggles here in Copenhagen, mostly because I fear it won't be applicable to the States. If I said that a petrol bomb or flagstone usually would drive off a policeman it's all well and good, but if that leads to said policeman drawing a gun and killing you, I'd really rather not it was because of something I said.

I'll be happy to answer any and all of your questions, but on the question of violence our societies are -very- different. Use your common sense, and don't be afraid to run away to fight another day - it's a lot more fun than lock-up or a broken neck.

Tias fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 1, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Charliegrs posted:

If you're interested in getting involved in Arizona, there's never been a better time than the present.

We're not as red as you think. LD 18 was considered to be a fairly safe red seat. The Democrats there got super ridiculously organized and put in a Senator and a Representative in the state legislature.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/MelodyRowell/status/826641106561617920

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Don't forget to call your representative as well as your senators :)

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
https://twitter.com/dbernstein/status/826861210473811976 - 12 tweets:

quote:

http://news.wgbh.org/2017/01/30/politics-government/trumps-immigration-actions-roil-washington-chaos-strategy-does-it
I think the anti-Trump protest movement has had far more effect than many on the left seem to think. (1/)
... Some of that effect I wrote about in my @wgbhnews column this week (2/)
... And there's been more just since then. DeVos nom could fail. Puzder delay shows GOP conceding need for disclosures before hearing. (3/)
... White House appeared to retreat from anti-LGBT executive order & pledged to leave protections in place. ACA repeal badly stalled. (4/)
... & more. How much would have gone that way without the scale of women's march, immigration protest, phone calls? Can't be sure (5/)
... but we also don't know how much the WH has NOT done b/c it fears triggering another round of that. Other EOs buried? Appointments? (6/)
... There's reporting that suggests Trump is not happy about the public reactions; that he's elevating Priebus to keep better order... (7/)
... and my guess is Bannon/Miller/Kushner won't be allowed to run half-cocked w/o consulting relevant depts/Hill the way they were. (8/)
Obviously a lot of this is because of reporting, but I think a lot is at least in part because of the protest movement. (9/)
... These are all relatively minor victories, but when your side loses the Presidency, House & Senate it's a fairly big deal... (10/)
...if you've got the winning side cautious about overreaching. Remember: a similar phenomenon kept Dems in 2009-10 from passing... (11/)
... energy/climate change, gun control, card check, and other agenda items after getting its top 3 (stimulus, Dodd-Frank, ACA)... (12/)

So this stuff might be starting to work, and it needs to keep on. I think we just needed to get riled up.

Also, the date of the March for Science was announced today: Earth Day (April 22). Hoping the one in my city starts in the morning because I've got a panel that day that meets from 2:00 - 3:30 (on environmental literature--trying to get them to latch on to the march).

Man, I know this is said often, but because the march kinda originated on Reddit, I went there to see all the threads, and it is full of super argumentative and defeatists types, where regular civil and positive conversation is hard to come by.

Jenny of Oldstones fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 1, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tip: do not call your rep about the Justice appointment as that's a Senatorial thing. Oops. :negative:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Veyrall posted:

It is not worth your time to engage directly with those who would willingly ally with fascists. Don't let this be your priority. The single most effective thing you can do right now is find as many people who think like you do as possible and organize a public action. You will be minimized, the local press will downplay it, it'll feel like you aren't making a difference. That is the system at work, and only constant pressure can break it.

The reason that cities tend toward liberalism is due to immersion. We are confronted daily with the problems of those around us. We have to live cooperatively among other people. It's much more difficult to maintain "gently caress you got mine" when you have to look people in the face every day to say it.

There are way, way more of us than there are of them. Showing up, being visible and not going away is what changes minds.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Luckily you can be the majority and still be massively locked out of political power due to. Gerrymandering

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Don't forget to call your representative as well as your senators :)
Absolutely. Your Senator is the one voting on the Trump nominees, but Representatives are WAY more concerned about keeping constituents happy. They get elected every 2 years which means their next campaign starts their first day of a new term. You also carry far more weight, especially in big states, for a variety of reasons, most obviously that 10 pissed off constituents is a much bigger % of a Rep's total voters than a Senator. poo poo, in non-Presidential elections there are often less than 100k votes cast total in the House race. A negative story that might not make a big statewide newspaper about a Senator could be front page stuff in a local, regional newspaper when it deals with the local Rep.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
apparently my (republican) senator turned off all of his office's phone lines, which is why i couldn't get through earlier

i assumed the lines were just busy :laffo:

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

apparently my (republican) senator turned off all of his office's phone lines, which is why i couldn't get through earlier

i was thinking about your conundrum w/r/t supporting protests and it occurred to me that there may be a fair amount of pre and post legal work that could use help from clerks or clinical programs in which law students participate. not sure what your law school may have on offer, but here's one external lead for you

https://www.aclupa.org/takeaction/volunteerintern/volunteering-pittsburgh-office/

it's pittsburgh, but there are other chapters within pa and other state affiliates as well

local parties and chapters may need organizational documents drafted, leases prepared, permits reviewed, etc. post protest, there may be criminal actions as to which local public defenders may accept support

and so on

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah, my plan was already to hit up the NLSA, the ACLU, the public defender's office, and as many other local public interest orgs as I could find for volunteer work over the summer.

I'd have applied to the Community Justice Project but they close summer recruitment for 2nd year law students in October, when I was trying to catch up after a week of illness and get ready for finals, so I missed that window. Although I might call them this weekend anyways to see if they're experiencing any extra demand or just have any use for me at all.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I forgot to say thanks for this writeup earlier when i read it so... thanks for this writeup :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Actually on the topic of protest tactics, you mentioned cell phones during planning stages but I think a good thing to add would be to take the battery out of your cell phone before you even get to the protest, since police can (and have in the past) use devices like the Stingray to monitor everyone in the area and see who they all are even if they don't make any calls or use the phone, just if it's on. I'd say leave the cell phone at home but it would probably be a bad idea to be completely without communication devices if a super serious emergency happened and you need help...

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ate all the Oreos posted:

Actually on the topic of protest tactics, you mentioned cell phones during planning stages but I think a good thing to add would be to take the battery out of your cell phone before you even get to the protest, since police can (and have in the past) use devices like the Stingray to monitor everyone in the area and see who they all are even if they don't make any calls or use the phone, just if it's on. I'd say leave the cell phone at home but it would probably be a bad idea to be completely without communication devices if a super serious emergency happened and you need help...

Don't go without a cellphone. Go to Walmart and get a $20 prepaid android phone. Use Signal and WhatsApp. Install a VOIP app so you can make wifi calls when the cell network goes down.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
When we went to the Woman's March, someone I met in a restaurant the night before recommended the Firechat app, usable without internet I guess? It did seem to burn our phone batteries faster though, and then the phones were dying and we didn't get nearly as many photos as we would have liked...so that's another good thing to take: a solar-powered or already charged accessory to recharge your phone.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't go without a cellphone. Go to Walmart and get a $20 prepaid android phone. Use Signal and WhatsApp. Install a VOIP app so you can make wifi calls when the cell network goes down.

What do you do with the prepaid phone? Throw it away or dismantle it?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Extreme0 posted:

What do you do with the prepaid phone? Throw it away or dismantle it?

Yes. In the past, I'd say you can keep it and use it again as long as you turn the power off before you leave the protest, but things are getting very real, very quickly so I don't think that's good advice anymore.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I don't know what protests you guys are going to that that sort of thing is necessary, but yikes.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

please be careful out there when protesting yall

https://twitter.com/michael_bodley/status/827009555859066882

https://twitter.com/MattHjourno/status/827014127264493568

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I don't know what protests you guys are going to that that sort of thing is necessary, but yikes.

With things becoming as it is. Always prepare for the worst where even the worst might seem like a better option when a tide of unexpected poo poo comes in.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I think it's a totally reasonable and cheap precaution. When you go to a protest, you should assume you're going to get arrested, and that your phone will be taken and searched. Of course, chances are very low of that happening right now, but if it costs $20 to avoid a potentially huge problem, I'll spend the $20.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think it's a totally reasonable and cheap precaution. When you go to a protest, you should assume you're going to get arrested, and that your phone will be taken and searched. Of course, chances are very low of that happening right now, but if it costs $20 to avoid a potentially huge problem, I'll spend the $20.

oh, no argument, but destroying the burner phone? I guess I was conceptualizing of the burner phone as 'the spare' rather than 'the burner'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

fax them from this website, it's free https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php

• Locked thread