Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister posted:

Because it complains about directories otherwise.

uh thats the -r

-f is force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Powaqoatse posted:

uh thats the -r

-f is force
yes, you need rm -f to get rid of the directories otherwise it will complain about there being directories. -r deletes files in subdirectories but will still complain about, like, /usr being a directory

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

uh thats the -r

-f is force

learn 2 linux

smdh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

yes, you need rm -f to get rid of the directories otherwise it will complain about there being directories. -r deletes files in subdirectories but will still complain about, like, /usr being a directory

what the hell OS are you using where this is the case because i've never seen rm behave like this ever

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

what the hell OS are you using where this is the case because i've never seen rm behave like this ever

if you have write perms to the directory but don't own all the files is the time that comes up for me

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jabor posted:

I'm still not sure why people habitually use -f when deleting stuff.

encountering systems now and then where rm has been aliased to rm -i, end up just doing -f every time rather than bothering to discover that. meaning to delete a non-writeable file is far more common than being actually warded away from deleting one. not that clear what *not* having -f ever gives you, for example in this case i imagine they could have deleted the database just fine without it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

welp

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

encountering systems now and then where rm has been aliased to rm -i, end up just doing -f every time rather than bothering to discover that. meaning to delete a non-writeable file is far more common than being actually warded away from deleting one. not that clear what *not* having -f ever gives you, for example in this case i imagine they could have deleted the database just fine without it

i guess it was more the immediate jump from "I want to remove something" to "just rm -rf it I guess".

This would 100% not have happened if he'd thought "hmm, maybe the empty data dir is causing problems" -> "rmdir"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah that's it p much. A lot of distros have rm aliased to rm -i

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Billboard Owner posted:

"We immediately had to take this computer down off this billboard and replace it with a new one," Withers says, "then we are going to have to go in and buy this managed software that will protect us and that's going to cost me $2000 a year."

That doesn't include $10,000 he's had since to pay since Saturday to fix this problem, including several new computers for his billboards and an upgraded system.

1. Someone please find out what software this is because I too want to make thousands of dollars on software displaying JPEGs and say I can 'protect' you

2. This sounds like a Rich Dad response to a computer: "it's not working right throw it out and get a new one"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

anthonypants posted:

no, it will not

$ mkdir asdf
$ rm asdf
rm: asdf: is a directory
$ rm -f asdf
rm: asdf: is a directory
$ mkdir asdf/asdf2
$ rm -r asdf
$ ls asdf
ls: asdf: No such file or directory

-f means 'force', ie never ask for confirmation even when deleting read-only things
-r makes rm recursively delete things, including directories. without -r, rm will never delete a directory, not even if you specify -f.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=852751

:eyepop:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

the unix philosophy ladies and gentlemen :kiss:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i'm so sick of parsing structured output so let's all parse text :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

1. Someone please find out what software this is because I too want to make thousands of dollars on software displaying JPEGs and say I can 'protect' you

2. This sounds like a Rich Dad response to a computer: "it's not working right throw it out and get a new one"

i wonder how much of that $10,000 was pocketed by the same person who told him he needs a $2000 subscription software service to not connect a billboard directly to the internet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/gitlabstatus/status/826591961444384768

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pppp Ppppppp,

Pppp ppppp ppp ppppp?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cryptkeeper go p p

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah their goal here was to delete some files and they would have ignored any warnings presented from not having -f.

same as throwing sudo in front of things. they're doing it because they want the command to run and they know sudo will guarantee it and that if they forget to use sudo they'll get an error and then they'll have to use sudo anyway.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the unix philosophy ladies and gentlemen :kiss:

a big ol' trash fire piled on top of smoldering wreckage

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Cryptkeeper go p p

all the way $HOME

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jabor posted:

I'm still not sure why people habitually use -f when deleting stuff.

backtracking to this, i'm not sure why they would use `rm` instead of `mv` other than working too many hours or something

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

8 years of police efforts fell to ransomware

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

the tinfoil hat part of me thinks it was erased on purpose and disguised as ransomware

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I have no trouble believing that a cop infected his machine with ransomware by clicking on att-hippiegotlippy.aiff.pif

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
For any discussion on anti-virus, here are my rules on how the discussion will go when commented on in HN, Reddit, or in the news comments themselves:

• [Insert testing programme here] has given [AV product] the best detection rate in the industry for [year]!
  • I use [AV product] and I have never gotten malware.
  • [Software vendors] should open up their APIs to make anti-virus much easier to work with.
  • The anti-virus industry creates the malware.
  • If you went without anti-virus for [period of time] you'll eventually catch malware!

https://www.onmsft.com/news/google-chrome-engineer-says-windows-defender-the-only-well-behaved-av

So let's read the comments!

quote:

I've been using Eset NOD32 for many years and have no regrets. You completely forget you have an AV installed. If I didn't have a NOD32 license I'd definitely rely on WD completely.

quote:

I've only used Defender and Malwarebytes for the last couple of years. No one single virus...that I know of.

quote:

No one should bother with norton and mcafee, they're the worst AVs in modern day times.

quote:

I agree, EVERY SINGLE 3rd party AV is overly-paranoid and keeps false-flagging some of my game mods, it's incredibly annoying. At its "worst" Windows Defender will simply flag it as some kind of "Hack tool" and will ask you if you want to quarantine it or allow it, while 3rd party crap just flags it as Trojan, malware, etc. and removes it without your permission.

quote:

For me i've got Avira Win 10 and windows defender Win 10 working hand in hand, so for me having at least two AVs one from a trustable AV and one naturally from the OS (both working, without conflict) is all i need.

quote:

webroot secure anywhere best kept secret and its install exe is half a meg

quote:

Took my own mother off of Norton... She's such a safe user that she may not even need Defender :) (but it's enabled anyway because security is nice)

These rules are going to help me predict any future conversation on AV.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

we need more markov bot projects

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

now that's what i call a sales pitch

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

flakeloaf posted:

we need more markov bot projects

use generated malware article comments as a covert c&c channel

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

the tinfoil hat part of me thinks it was erased on purpose and disguised as ransomware
a higher-up pope in russia did roadkill someone with his new shiny bmw a few years back. naturally, next thursday after the incident hacker attack did irreversibly correct all surveillance footage on police's servers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meat Beat Agent posted:

now that's what i call a sales pitch

RISK FREE

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

while researching Star Micronics' receipt printers today for reasons i came across the claim that they can even print reciepts from within web applications. that doesn't seem right, since it doesn't behave like a regular printer at all... let's see how they do it.

http://www.starmicronics.com/printer/technology/webprnt_browser

quote:

Star’s WebPRNT Browser allows you to print receipts or data from a web browser-based application running on a mobile device to a Star Micronics Bluetooth printer wirelessly. To begin, configure Star’s WebPRNT Browser to open the desired web-based application which supports WebPRNT and print to the desired Bluetooth printer. Once configured, simply pair your mobile device to a Star Bluetooth printer, open your application on Star’s WebPRNT Browser and print directly from the app.

:stare: oh. you have to install a custom browser that exposes some weird javascript API and use that. great.

anyone wanna place bets on if the --disable-web-security flag will appear in the apk somewhere :v:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk they could probably just intercept the printing call in their browser, format it for a receipt printer, and then pass it back to the normal printing api.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

idk they could probably just intercept the printing call in their browser, format it for a receipt printer, and then pass it back to the normal printing api.

no you have to use their special bespoke javascript API/SDK they're doing something much stupider than that

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

printernet of poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't see that on the browser page but idk it still sounds like they're just formatting existing content. the fact that they do that with javascript vs objc/java doesn't really change much. they probably do it in js specifically so they don't have to rewrite it per platform.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like I'm guessing its all dom and css modifications to format it for their printers. they could probably do it with a browser extension tho. that would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

immutability would do it

• Locked thread