Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hahaha Kevin Siembieda.

Wargaming has some absolute shitlords but the RPG world is nightmare mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TTerrible posted:

Hahaha Kevin Siembieda.

Wargaming has some absolute shitlords but the RPG world is nightmare mode.

Gaerth. Michael. Skarka.

Anyway, all I was trying to say was that Creature Caster seems like they mostly made the same good faith mistakes most KS project creators make first (and sometimes second) time out, and as far as I'm aware everyone who didn't opt for an earlier refund got what they backed for, so there's no reason to not buy from them beyond the standard judgments on price, quality, and aesthetics you'd make with most other indy mini makers.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Darren MacLennan posted:

So, some miniatures I done painted.

Good looking work man. When it come to your lighting it could be one of a few things;

-Your camera auto adjusting itself to the black background. Many auto settings try to balance the image to a medium for all within it, brightening everything to make up for the black. You should be able to adjust that as you're taking photos. Look for things like "ISO" and "aperture" and fiddle with them.

-Your lights might be too close. Push those babies back

-You might want to change from a black background to a lighter shade. Maybe a dark gray or something

-Photo editing software could help you too. With digital stuff it's better to shoot darker and edit it to be lighter.

- if you're on a cellphone just get a free photo editor. I like Snapseed.

Good luck! If you have any questions hit me up!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Anyway, all I was trying to say was that Creature Caster seems like they mostly made the same good faith mistakes most KS project creators make first (and sometimes second) time out, and as far as I'm aware everyone who didn't opt for an earlier refund got what they backed for, so there's no reason to not buy from them beyond the standard judgments on price, quality, and aesthetics you'd make with most other indy mini makers.

That sounds like a fair assessment to me. It may have taken an age to get here but my Dragon is purdy.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

TTerrible posted:

I'd forgotten about Waylands involvement. Given the pattern, I wouldn't be surprised to see a giant final KS that never gets fulfilled either.

What was the Waylands stuff? I'm mixed about them as a supplier - my first order was fine, my next order was terrible and a third order was mostly good, with massively improved customer service. And then the last bit of that order took the best part of 3 months to get ahold of, including one delivery where they sent me the wrong products.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

glitchkrieg posted:

What was the Waylands stuff? I'm mixed about them as a supplier - my first order was fine, my next order was terrible and a third order was mostly good, with massively improved customer service. And then the last bit of that order took the best part of 3 months to get ahold of, including one delivery where they sent me the wrong products.

Wayland bought the debt from the suppliers, paid the something like 50p for every 1 pound owed, which leaves the suppliers hurt but not bleeding, so that Maelstrom actually owed Wayland the money - and then enacted a 30 day notice period for repayment, or face being wound up. Wayland would have been hoping they got all the moulds and other still valuable stuff after HMRC wound up Maelstrom, but the owner cut and ran, transferring the assets to Mierce for peanuts instead.

Wayland didn't do anything wrong, they were just a third party that kicked the rotten building down.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

My 4 year old has been obsessed with a Trollkin Sorceror that's been sitting in my to-do collection. He informed me the other day that this model, the good guy, was carrying a map to the bad guys. Obviously this was adorable and required an immediate paint job. I did a child's rendition of a map (good for me since I suck at freehand) and orange quills for little dude's favorite color. I'm a pushover, what can I say?

Good parenting, sweet paintjob, A++ would dad again

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Horace-Noah posted:

-Photo editing software could help you too. With digital stuff it's better to shoot darker and edit it to be lighter.

This is actually backwards. With a digital camera it's best to shoot as light as possible (without anything being too bright and clipping) and then darken in post. The camera can see more distinct tones at the lighter end, and digitally brightening images creates noise (pixels of different color and luminance).

Those photos look pretty good. The easiest way to resolve the feeling that they're too bright is going to be to pull the lights a little bit further away from the sides (which softens the light) and moving them a little bit forward of where they're currently positioned, which will reduce the brightness difference between the center front of the model and the sides.

selnaric
Feb 20, 2006

One more Caledonian done.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The saddest Scotsman.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

selnaric posted:

Mmmmmm, tartan...

This is rad.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

selnaric posted:

He kinda looks like he's raising an eyebrow in judgement and I love it xD

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

TheFinalTuba posted:

He kinda looks like he's raising an eyebrow in judgement and I love it xD

It's regarding the clothing choice of the model he comes paired with.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Gaerth. Michael. Skarka.

Yeah, if they were actual KS scumlords they probably wouldn't have put up "sold out" notices on their site in the firat place.

Sad to hear that miniatures have their fair share of scammy kickstarters; prior to this derail every KS mini I've seen has actually followed through on their projects. Hopefully this is a sign that things are more good than bad, because its really cool to see sculptors eek out a living making cool small-biz miniatures.

TheFinalTuba
May 3, 2016

Cat Face Joe posted:

It's regarding the clothing choice of the model he comes paired with.

Ha, oh yeah, it's that grenade launcher female isn't it?

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Got my Reaper red triad and all 3 paints were good. Hoping that the kit I got earlier was just an anomaly and feeling more confident the replacement will be problem free.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

darkwolf220 posted:

Got my Reaper red triad and all 3 paints were good. Hoping that the kit I got earlier was just an anomaly and feeling more confident the replacement will be problem free.

This is less a Reaper specific issue and more a general issue with ordering paints online. Sometimes you end up with a bottle that's just been sitting in a warehouse way longer than it should. Most companies will make it right no problem, but it's always gonna be a thing when you can't shake and inspect the bottle yourself.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
In the warehouse too long, or else allowed to freeze.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Guys I'm thinking about getting a Dremel for making pinning /cutting less painless and trying to find other reasons to justify it.
Can it be used for mould line removal from pewter miniatures or is that just asking for trouble?

Also to post actual content, with the weather being poo poo outside I jumped back to painting and decided its time to start on a long pushed back project of my Slaanesh Blood Bowl team.
Started out with the team big guy minotaur (using an old Keeper of Secrets). I wanted to base it on Hungarian grey cattle, but turned out I'm not that good of a painter to pull it off and the dark snout/horn tips didn't look good on the miniture.
So I guess slight NSFW warning? There is a tit on the following image. Excuse mobile phone pics, the best I could do.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Guys I'm thinking about getting a Dremel for making pinning /cutting less painless and trying to find other reasons to justify it.
Can it be used for mould line removal from pewter miniatures or is that just asking for trouble?
It's not worth it, in my experience. It's too powerful for mold line removal - you'll wind up gouging a nice chunk out of something before you realize it. As for pinning, it's ok at best, but it spins to fast that when the bit grabs (and it will,) you'll wind up having your part spinning around at 2000 RPM and fly across the room. Unless you've got a bunch of chunky heavy models that really need pinning, just suck it up and use a pin vise.

I'd say that a battery powered screwdriver would be a good option, but I don't know if it would be possible to find a chuck that fit the device and the small bits we have to use.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

It's not worth it, in my experience. It's too powerful for mold line removal - you'll wind up gouging a nice chunk out of something before you realize it. As for pinning, it's ok at best, but it spins to fast that when the bit grabs (and it will,) you'll wind up having your part spinning around at 2000 RPM and fly across the room. Unless you've got a bunch of chunky heavy models that really need pinning, just suck it up and use a pin vise.

I'd say that a battery powered screwdriver would be a good option, but I don't know if it would be possible to find a chuck that fit the device and the small bits we have to use.

My cordless drill does a fine job for pinning and holds all sizes bits no problem. I'm not certain I would buy one just for pinning, but I had the drill already, so...

I agree that cutting and removing flash is a really bad idea for drills and dremmel tools.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I use a rechargeable screwdriver with an adaptor i found on amazon for my pinning. It spins at like 300rpm, which is fast enough, but not so fast that i drill a hole thru my thumbnail...

... which i did with a dremel. It hurt so much i dry heaved.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

dexefiend posted:

It hurt so much i dry heaved.

Considering I keep slicing my self every time I get near the xacto knife and a year ago I pushed a sculpting tool through my palm. I guess no dremel for me.
Wife has one of those nail drill thingies, maybe I will give that a try.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Also to post actual content, with the weather being poo poo outside I jumped back to painting and decided its time to start on a long pushed back project of my Slaanesh Blood Bowl team.
Started out with the team big guy minotaur (using an old Keeper of Secrets). I wanted to base it on Hungarian grey cattle, but turned out I'm not that good of a painter to pull it off and the dark snout/horn tips didn't look good on the miniture.
So I guess slight NSFW warning? There is a tit on the following image. Excuse mobile phone pics, the best I could do.

That painting is great, nice work. I've thrown it in my "inspiration" folder for when I finally get round to painting my Keeper of Secrets this year - exactly the same bits too!

I've been tempted to kitbash a Slaanesh team out of Mantic Succubi and GW Daemonettes so would love to see what else you do with your team, please keep this thread updated!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

My cordless drill does a fine job for pinning and holds all sizes bits no problem. I'm not certain I would buy one just for pinning, but I had the drill already, so...

I agree that cutting and removing flash is a really bad idea for drills and dremmel tools.

A cordless might spin slower, so might be better suited for miniatures work. I think it would be overkill for plastic though.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I use a dremel for pinning, but only at super low RPM and with a Stylus model. It's very easy to handle. gently caress ever using one of the big ones for that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You do not need a powered drill for pinning stuff unless you're doing a titan or an entire metal army. Even then it's marginal.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

A cordless might spin slower, so might be better suited for miniatures work. I think it would be overkill for plastic though.

It can be overkill, but I just drilled and pinned an old plastic GW skeleton's sword to a Bones mini and it worked just fine. Use a pin or needle to make a "pilot divot" and go slow. If I could find my bloody pin vice I'd have used it, but the drill worked just fine.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
I'm starting my first 40k force, which will be Astral Claws/Tyrant's Legion marines. Currently my plan is to base them by doing a layer of cork topped with Vallejo's Black Lava to get an asphalt effect, but since I'm just beginning to learn how to do this stuff I'm starting on some cheap tac squads from eBay. Since a lot of the models are already glued to plain bases, what's the best way of separating them? I was thinking a jeweler's saw might be the way to go but maybe there is something simpler.

I'm also wondering if there is a go to site/manufacturer for flocking.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FromTheShire posted:

I'm starting my first 40k force, which will be Astral Claws/Tyrant's Legion marines. Currently my plan is to base them by doing a layer of cork topped with Vallejo's Black Lava to get an asphalt effect, but since I'm just beginning to learn how to do this stuff I'm starting on some cheap tac squads from eBay. Since a lot of the models are already glued to plain bases, what's the best way of separating them? I was thinking a jeweler's saw might be the way to go but maybe there is something simpler.

You might be able to get an Xacto blade under the foot and pop the model off, assuming it's been superglued, and not plastic glued to the base. It's not the safest of applications for your Xacto, so wear eye protection, since the blade tip will break off and go flying somewhere.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Testors sells hobby saws that could help separate them if they're plastic glued; understandably testors isn't the most trustworthy brand for quality, but I can attest that the saws are AOK.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

FromTheShire posted:

IMHO, Woodland Scenics gives excellent value for the money. Their static grass and basing ballasts are available in 16oz containers, and they've got a nice variety of styles, colors, grains, whatever. (Case in point, I've got a container of their soft flake snow flock that I will be lucky to run out of before I die.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

FromTheShire posted:

I've never had a problem using an x-acto knife and a careful hand getting minis off bases. You can usually test them first with just your hands and snap them off if they aren't glued on ther ereal tight. As for flocking, Woodland Scenics is where it's at. Most other companies just repackage their poo poo and sell it at a higher price.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Thanks for the advice! I'm assuming the X-acto knife way only works with non-tabbed minis, correct? Is there a particular site that always carries Woodland Scenics for a good price or is it better to just google around and see who has the best deal on a particular day?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

FromTheShire posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'm assuming the X-acto knife way only works with non-tabbed minis, correct? Is there a particular site that always carries Woodland Scenics for a good price or is it better to just google around and see who has the best deal on a particular day?

It depends. I usually bend and glue the tabs on mine, so I have to break the base to get the mini out. To be honest, if you've got tabbed metal minis, you're probably better off just taking the mini in one hand and the base in the other, then kind of rocking the model to break the glue. This will sometimes break the base, but they're cheap to replace, so no worries there. Just be careful with models with thin legs (your SMs won't be a problem.)

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Progress on my Dropfleet Commander stuff:

The engines are definitely the most fun part to paint.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's the best material to use to lay out complex outlines and shapes for airbrushing? I'm making an idol racecar themed spaceship so can't exactly use painter's tape for the shapes. Like is there a film or paper that has some sort of adhesive for this purpose?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

What's the best material to use to lay out complex outlines and shapes for airbrushing? I'm making an idol racecar themed spaceship so can't exactly use painter's tape for the shapes. Like is there a film or paper that has some sort of adhesive for this purpose?

Tamiya tape goes down to 6mm, is that still too big?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm looking for something that will allow me trace outlines to cut out but still be adhesive enough for airbrush use. taping down the outlines I'm planning would be pretty painful since they would be human figures. But if that's the only way, I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm looking for something that will allow me trace outlines to cut out but still be adhesive enough for airbrush use. taping down the outlines I'm planning would be pretty painful since they would be human figures. But if that's the only way, I'll do it.

Oh right, I'm not really sure. Could try the consumable sheets for those stencil cutting machines?