Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How necessary is buying the expansion to the overall enjoyment of the game, is it mostly endgame stuff or are we talking freemium paywall here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

McSpanky posted:

How necessary is buying the expansion to the overall enjoyment of the game, is it mostly endgame stuff or are we talking freemium paywall here.
It's level 80 stuff and a new class. Free account restrictions (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account#Free_accounts) are annoying, but nothing I'd describe as a "paywall".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Forgall posted:

It's level 80 stuff and a new class. Free account restrictions (https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Account#Free_accounts) are annoying, but nothing I'd describe as a "paywall".

Yeah, a real paywall is like stopping progression at level 20 or whatever. 50% off equals at least as much as I've dumped into any other dumb "free" MMO in the last ten years, I'm in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
WoW "free" version, can't level beyond, or log into old characters over level 20 out of - for now - 100 :v:

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

McSpanky posted:

The only content i find fun is HoT (the expansion) and would not be playing this game at all if that content had not existed.
That content is also some of the best content of that type in any MMO.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Just a heads up for anyone else interested in getting some more Hall of Monuments points:

Shing Jea Monastery is currently running the event for both lucky and unlucky titles, which are AFK farm-able.

I only had 50 plat so that's probably not gonna get me too far, but it might at least unlock one of the titles for display.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ineptitude posted:

The only content i find fun is HoT (the expansion) and would not be playing this game at all if that content had not existed.
That content is also some of the best content of that type in any MMO.

Disagree, I got sooooo much more enjoyment out of the non-HoT part of the game. The only good parts of the expansion for me were gliding and the class specializations.

Speaking of, let's wildly speculate about the next expansion. Crystal Desert? Elona? Guardian axe? Engineer mace? Mounts?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Disagree, I got sooooo much more enjoyment out of the non-HoT part of the game. The only good parts of the expansion for me were gliding and the class specializations.

Speaking of, let's wildly speculate about the next expansion. Crystal Desert? Elona? Guardian axe? Engineer mace? Mounts?

Yes, yes, very yes, engineer mainhand shield and mounties

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Illuyankas posted:

engineer mainhand shield

If I can duel wield shields on my engineer I'm never playing anything else ever again

e: :toxx:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Ranger Rifle! Lead the way!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna hop on tonight and play more. whats some of the more fun newbie zones.

I just completed the first zone for Norn

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
https://twitter.com/Lord_Caudecus

Yes thank you for this vital political satire, arenanet.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

If I can duel wield shields on my engineer I'm never playing anything else ever again

e: :toxx:

I can imagine you dueling shields is not a fair fight. Shields' gonna win.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

https://twitter.com/Lord_Caudecus

Yes thank you for this vital political satire, arenanet.

siiiiiiiiiiigh

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

eonwe posted:

im gonna hop on tonight and play more. whats some of the more fun newbie zones.

I just completed the first zone for Norn

My pick is the top right exit on the right side of Wayfarer Foothills for Diessa Lowlands, 15-25 charr zone which has Meatoberfest and a cattlepult
(the other ways out are top left exit to Snowden Drifts, the next norn zone and mostly snow, and top right exit on top side to Frostgorge Sound which is beautiful but level 70-80, and will ruin you)

Also Caledon Forest and Metrica Province are both pretty cool for starter zones, you start off with their waypoints and can visit whenever

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 1, 2017

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I sure hope that idiot account isn't real

If it is, shame on anet for being so lazy that they couldn't proof any of the tweets by their poorly cropped, pixelated avatar Lord Idiot

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh man cattlepult :allears:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
They had denied ownership before it even got posted here.

https://twitter.com/ArenaNet/status/826848405490192391

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

I sure hope that idiot account isn't real

If it is, shame on anet for being so lazy that they couldn't proof any of the tweets by their poorly cropped, pixelated avatar Lord Idiot

https://twitter.com/ArenaNet/status/826848405490192391

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Diessa Plateau is objectively the best zone in the game

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I don't keep up with social media stuff, so I had no idea they'd already denied ownership of the account.

I'm glad they're not behind it

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Schpyder posted:

Diessa Plateau is objectively the best zone in the game

celebrate meatoberfest erryday

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nickhimself posted:

I don't keep up with social media stuff, so I had no idea they'd already denied ownership of the account.

I'm glad they're not behind it

Same, pretty sick of politics at this point

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I am so ankle-length jorts

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Illuyankas posted:

My pick is the top right exit on the right side of Wayfarer Foothills for Diessa Lowlands, 15-25 charr zone which has Meatoberfest and a cattlepult
(the other ways out are top left exit to Snowden Drifts, the next norn zone and mostly snow, and top right exit on top side to Frostgorge Sound which is beautiful but level 70-80, and will ruin you)

Also Caledon Forest and Metrica Province are both pretty cool for starter zones, you start off with their waypoints and can visit whenever

cool, thanks buddy

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

CLAM DOWN posted:

The pre-HoT zones are so boring. They are all just a big open space, and 1 level. There is no challenge or any interesting mechanics. No meta events and nothing to do.

HoT is dark and mysterious, challenging and rewarding, and a gigantic sense of accomplishment when you learn to navigate the zones. Lots of stuff happening all over the zones all the time as well as big meta events involving the whole map every 2 hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
It's subjective dude, I don't agree. I had way more fun and got way more out of the pre HoT zones myself.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ineptitude posted:

Lots of stuff happening all over the zones all the time as well as big meta events involving the whole map every 2 hours.

Which nobody loving does unless they organize, never mind the poo poo mobs in all the regions.

HoT maps are absolute poo poo.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Desert, but we fight Primordius. Krakkletorrak will be the last dragon we fight, since it's the mind dragon or whatever and offers an antagonist to Aurene who will be in university by then.

Guardians will get mh axe, wars get dual daggers, rev's get a new ranged weapon, like pistol mh, or short bow.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

My only complaint about the HoT zones is that the enemies are often dense enough, or use annoying attacks that make your pre-HoT builds feel frustrating.

Not always, but it happens more in HoT zones than not.

I'm looking at you: roaming groups of Mordrem that pack snipers and somehow always end up pushing you into tentacle spawns who hit way loving harder than enemies of their quality ever should.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Alteisen posted:

Which nobody loving does unless they organize, never mind the poo poo mobs in all the regions.

HoT maps are absolute poo poo.

^^^^^

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

AmbientParadox posted:

Desert, but we fight Primordius. Krakkletorrak will be the last dragon we fight, since it's the mind dragon or whatever and offers an antagonist to Aurene who will be in university by then.

Guardians will get mh axe, wars get dual daggers, rev's get a new ranged weapon, like pistol mh, or short bow.

I can totally see rev short bow. Guardian I think warhorn is just as likely as axe maybe.

Also Mordrem snipers are literally hell incarnate.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I would pay good gems for a stetson skin.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Give me a gently caress huge lady bug mount and I will pay 5000 gems for it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

nickhimself posted:

My only complaint about the HoT zones is that the enemies are often dense enough, or use annoying attacks that make your pre-HoT builds feel frustrating.

Not always, but it happens more in HoT zones than not.

I'm looking at you: roaming groups of Mordrem that pack snipers and somehow always end up pushing you into tentacle spawns who hit way loving harder than enemies of their quality ever should.
Also those loving bow frogs that basically have thief shortbow but better in every way (which is to say, "actually good for things other than the teleport") and passively evade ranged attacks for reasons.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
This Incinerator scavenger hunt is really chapping my rear end. I would have picked a different weapon if I had known that I would need both a flowchart and to do fractals.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Gliding is definitely the best thing to come from HoT, then elite specializations... Gliding is just loving cool and it's even better in the non-HoT parts of the game tbh. So many high places to soar off of only to save yourself centimeters from what would be certain death.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Did they ever reduce the badge prices of explorer dungeon armor, do people even run them anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did they ever reduce the badge prices of explorer dungeon armor, do people even run them anymore?

No but you get 150 badges of your choice every 5(?) paths you run. Including story, and I've had good success getting groups through LFG.
For AC specifically there seems to be some great mesmers running it daily...

• Locked thread