Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The only way to lose your tier ratings is by dying and losing the match against opponents the game thinks are worse than you. I think most match outcomes will result in at least a small increase to your rating, or at worst no change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The locust and spider are so good right now

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

Thanks! I am using the MDD-B 6xSRM6-A build as my main and the MDD-PRIME 6xSRM6-A 3xERSML build as my second basic build (bought basic using GXP for the 3rd chassi). I had not seen that LBX-20 build though so I will probably try it out, looks real fragile though. The mech is quite fragile but it probably has the highest alpha per ton of mech out of all the mechs in the game. It's just 4SRMs short of the CP-10-Q SRM40 build which is pretty insane.

Also, it seems the PUG meta has shifted heavily towards LRMs in the past week, it's worse than ever now. Yesterday was nothing but polar over and over again, I have never played that much polar in a single day and it was a total slog to basic the MDD-B on that map. This makes me think a dedicated anti-LRM mech could be doing real well in the solo queue now. Any tips? I am not thinking about lights but something heavier, probably has to have ECM to get close. What is the fastest heavy ECM mech?

I've only just come back over the weekend playing a few games, but I had an epiphany while messing around with the loyalty Hellbringer. Put on the ECM omnipod and ran around with 2 UAC5 and 1 ERPPC and did quite well over a bunch of matches.

Pub players are so bad that they don't notice targets their mech tracking computers don't show as a target (no red triangle? must not be a target)
Projectile type weaponry are great because pubs can't figure out where you're shooting from. The UACs are impossible to see, and PPCs are a little bit easier to spot but their awareness is so bad.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=466&l=faadf43fb40b4279845cd0c06515c460c8860bb0
I don't think the jamming is too terrible on UACs, and the option to pump out a little extra burst damage is nice.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TjyvTompa posted:

Also, it seems the PUG meta has shifted heavily towards LRMs in the past week, it's worse than ever now.

LRMs are really good for farming the lance in formation bonuses for the current event. To get that someone in your lance has to be in combat (either dealing or receiving damage) and all your lancemates need to be within a certain radius of each other. LRMs let you ignore positioning a little bit to stay near your buddies while at the same time guaranteeing that you can constantly be flicking out a little damage now and again to get that in formation tick.

I've been abusing the gently caress out of it this event. I've been averaging 10 per match in my LRM Awesome and I've seen as high as 30.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Fil5000 posted:

The only way to lose your tier ratings is by dying and losing the match against opponents the game thinks are worse than you. I think most match outcomes will result in at least a small increase to your rating, or at worst no change.

Oh No Fil, not you too!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ZenVulgarity posted:

The locust and spider are so good right now

so true, the locust mastery pack was well worth buying.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Hexenritter posted:

so true, the locust mastery pack was well worth buying.

For 1 dollar you get 3 locusts, and 3 bays. The other 12 bucks is premium.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

For 1 dollar you get 3 locusts, and 3 bays. The other 12 bucks is premium.

which means a quarter mil per match if you're not a scrub, minimum

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
in-progress picture of the Javelin's scale. looks p. small man

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

in-progress picture of the Javelin's scale. looks p. small man

None of those mechs are to scale unless the spider got a lot bigger and the panther shrunk a lot.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Downloaded the Season 7 (January) leaderboard data and looking very business at work filtering out all my friends and checking whose advice I should take or ignore :c00l:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mwo/comments/5rg8qo/season_7_leaderboard_data_now_available/
by the way, don't check my stats, they are just very good trust me on this no need to check

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Dang I guess I'm not as bad as I thought.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Holy hell how am I in the top 500 assault pilots?!? (edit: top 3% or so?!?!?)

Are people really THAT bad at this game?

edit: this isn't some kind of humble brag I am legit mediocre at this game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Can you breathe and tell your left from your right?

If so, congratulations. You're above the MWO curve.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skoll posted:

Can you breathe and tell your left from your right?

If so, congratulations. You're above the MWO curve.

I tend to bind my left and right weapon groups to my left and right mouse button because it confuses me if I click left and the pew pew comes from a different side :saddowns:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

I tend to bind my left and right weapon groups to my left and right mouse button because it confuses me if I click left and the pew pew comes from a different side :saddowns:

:same:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Someone should figure out how to play this game with a wiimote

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
so I'm looking at potential timeline-advance mechs and the Fafnir has ECM too?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fafnir

I mean it'll suffer from Awesome syndrome but unlike the awesome will mount two HGRs

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Cyrano4747 posted:

There was some statistics posted on reddit that showed that most of what makes you win/lose games depend on who you drop with. Maybe you group up with some good people?
Another interesting fact was that being on the lowest combined weight team gave a 2% chance towards winning. Not a typo, winning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The highest weight team has more idiot pubbies, so that's not a surprise.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 2, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

That has a lot more users playing outside of steam

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One thing to remember with how those leaderboards work in game and in the data scrape is that it orders players based on raw number of wins. Johnny Z who is at #2 for global ranking exclusively plays the roc phoenix hawk hero and does okay, but from my experiences playing with and against him I would seriously not consider him to be a 'good' player.

Also, it's really difficult to murderball responsively with a pile of assaults, and if you have a lighter team you're able to move around as a roving deathball to pick off any stragglers before a team fight even starts. I think it's pretty reasonable for a lighter team to have a higher chance on winning just based on that ability to respond to opportunities.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 2, 2017

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm not sure guys but I might be abandoning this for the recently-revived MWLL. I like tanks and battle armor too much.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

I'm not sure guys but I might be abandoning this for the recently-revived MWLL. I like tanks and battle armor too much.

See you back here in a month.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

DancingShade posted:

See you back here in a month.

If that long! I wonder when PGI is gonna shut them down again.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Commoners posted:

One thing to remember with how those leaderboards work in game and in the data scrape is that it orders players based on raw number of wins. Johnny Z who is at #2 for global ranking exclusively plays the roc phoenix hawk hero and does okay, but from my experiences playing with and against him I would seriously not consider him to be a 'good' player.

Also, it's really difficult to murderball responsively with a pile of assaults, and if you have a lighter team you're able to move around as a roving deathball to pick off any stragglers before a team fight even starts. I think it's pretty reasonable for a lighter team to have a higher chance on winning just based on that ability to respond to opportunities.

You have a big advantage on point capture games and base stealing.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this game is like a fat chick and I only ever want to play with it after I've been drinking

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok I'm sure those 30:1 ratios the top players are exhibiting are totally legit.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

What's the population like now? Any 20+ servers that aren't all regulars?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

DancingShade posted:

It's ok I'm sure those 30:1 ratios the top players are exhibiting are totally legit.

Where do you see 30:1? The largest W/L is 9.86 and the largest K/D is 9:1 ( I skipped the guys that only played 10 games).
The only thing that stands out to me is that the #1 guy has a K/D of 3:1 while the #2 is 2:1 which is quite the spread but if you drop with very good people it's doable. The #1 guy also has 1600 games played over a month which is pretty insane but he might be disabled or something and doesn't do much else but play MW:O. Well, he can't be doing much else, at 10 minutes per game he has spent 11 days playing over a 31 day spread.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

Where do you see 30:1? The largest W/L is 9.86 and the largest K/D is 9:1 ( I skipped the guys that only played 10 games).
The only thing that stands out to me is that the #1 guy has a K/D of 3:1 while the #2 is 2:1 which is quite the spread but if you drop with very good people it's doable. The #1 guy also has 1600 games played over a month which is pretty insane but he might be disabled or something and doesn't do much else but play MW:O. Well, he can't be doing much else, at 10 minutes per game he has spent 11 days playing over a 31 day spread.

I may have plucked those numbers from my arse for the purposes of comedic hyperbole.

But thank you for doing actual research into robomechjocks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TjyvTompa posted:

Holy gently caress.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress.

I can't remember the source but someone that was involved in a video game kickstarter/green light thingy said something like "holy poo poo disabled people have so much time and money on their hands" and it makes sense. No disrespect or anything but what "normal" person can play videogames 24/7 and base their entire life around it. It just makes sense that the top people in a non-"pro" game are people with extreme amounts of disposable time. It's probably also the reason why the most vocal people seem so strange to others, they just don't play the game, they live it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

I can't remember the source but someone that was involved in a video game kickstarter/green light thingy said something like "holy poo poo disabled people have so much time and money on their hands" and it makes sense. No disrespect or anything but what "normal" person can play videogames 24/7 and base their entire life around it. It just makes sense that the top people in a non-"pro" game are people with extreme amounts of disposable time. It's probably also the reason why the most vocal people seem so strange to others, they just don't play the game, they live it.

MMOs are full of people like that.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

DancingShade posted:

MMOs are full of people like that.

And they are great. There was a quadriplegic dude in SWG that could only type in all caps and gave everyone free stuff all the time.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It's incredible how good some quadrapelgics get with a Mouth Stick, especially if they can get a tricked out one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Phrosphor posted:

Oh No Fil, not you too!

I'm not playing this thing, phros, I just remember Paul's lovely graphs explaining it from back when it was introduced.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Reminder that the Javelin pre-order bonus expires in 26 days. It's $15 for 3 mechs (3mechbays), 30 days premium, 6.5mil c-bills, 3 colors and 2 ugly decals.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
drat the Supernova looks bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

drat the Supernova looks bad.

Visually I think it looks nice but yes I agree with what you mean.

A big chunky underweight assault with hip mounted weapons and no shield arms? Hold me back.

• Locked thread