Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The game is sorely missing casual streetwear skins. But instead of having a three-week event, they should just have casual Fridays when such skins can be won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bolivar posted:

Now that there aren't really any relevant holidays in any part of the Overwatch world for a while, I guess it would be best if they would just have their next events be something completely different. Such as a spring event with all those great skin ideas that don't fit any holiday theme, and then of course bikini skins for Mei & Co. in June.

Yeah I'm definitely guessing at least one event that's either a made-up holiday (celebrate the end of the Omnic crisis with robot costumes!) or just a general season thing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm guessing we might get some Easter outfits. It's easy bait for a bunny D.Va or something.

I am curious where they're going to go for the inevitable summer set for the boys. I guess Junkrat and Roadhog will get something (or maybe they'll get winter outfits, that'd be hilarious) but not sure if they'd actually do swimwear for someone like McCree. I don't really think they'll go into speedo territory, so maybe they'll just stick Hanzo in boardshorts and call it a day.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

The game is sorely missing casual streetwear skins. But instead of having a three-week event, they should just have casual Fridays when such skins can be won.

Yeah we've been waiting for that afro Lucio for ages.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bolivar posted:

Yeah we've been waiting for that afro Lucio for ages.

Give us 70s throwback event. Lucio in an afro, 76 in bellbottoms, Reinhardt in whatever dads wore back then.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Give us 70s throwback event. Lucio in an afro, 76 in bellbottoms, Reinhardt in whatever dads wore back then.

I'm seeing a McCree in fringed leather and I love it.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

And there ought to be something for Torbjörn when you google image search for "Swedish 70s bands" such as:

or

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ApplesandOranges posted:

I want a Baywatch Reinhardt skin.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Said skins can then only be worn on casual Fridays. I can get behind this.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a Baywatch Reinhardt skin.

I'd love a Magnum P.I. skin for McCree.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Bastion: The A-Team Van (in ult form). Little bird has a large gold chain.

Reaper: Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie (because of the teleport mostly)

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Genji would be the 6 million dollar man.

With the sound every time he jumps.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Did they fix the D.Va fall through the world bug on 3v3?

Also, we need "Radical late 80's/early 90's X-TREME COOL" skins complete with horrific color schemes as alternate versions. Sunglasses for everyone! Leather jackets with pointy shoulders! Gnarly hair styles! Hammer pants for Lucio! Actually just a Lucio M.C. Hammer skin would be cool with me too.

Imagine a Rob Leifeld styled S76 and Reinhardt...

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ToastyPotato posted:

Imagine a Rob Leifeld styled S76 and Reinhardt...

How will they keep the ankles and wrists hidden in 3d?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Twibbit posted:

How will they keep the ankles and wrists hidden in 3d?

Permanent little dust clouds and debris of course!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Events are transparent manipulative poo poo designed for idiots to play their game more (without making the game better) and/or give them even more money. Too bad it's easier than just making a better loving game and having timely balance changes. I like how the first event was designed to be especially lovely so the player base would accept slightly less lovely events.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
:shrug: I haven't spent any money beyond the initial purchase of the game and have quite a few really unique skins that I love. Every skin I have purchased with their currency has been earned from loot boxes and duplicates.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

Events are transparent manipulative poo poo designed for idiots to play their game more (without making the game better) and/or give them even more money. Too bad it's easier than just making a better loving game and having timely balance changes. I like how the first event was designed to be especially lovely so the player base would accept slightly less lovely events.

You are pretty loving stupid thinking art and silly side game modes really detract from the balance team.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kashuno posted:

You are pretty loving stupid thinking art and silly side game modes really detract from the balance team.

You're being slightly uncharitable to him here, I think -- although I get it, it's Duck and Cover.

Blizzard does in fact use really good presentation and gambling-like mechanics to keep people hooked to the game, while simultaneously making questionable, over-compromised "try to please everyone" gameplay that probably wouldn't keep people hooked indefinitely by itself. It's not a question of one taking away from the man-hours of the other, it's a question of everything about the game being aimed at retention, sometimes to the detriment of design.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Also LOL at Blizzard having some mythical dedicated "balance" team when they released a patch where D.Va fell through a map 50% of the time or more and didn't immediately hotfix it. I'm sure they have people listed as working in certain areas, but they are most certainly not dedicated to making sure anything actually works before they upload it. This past patch really made it seem like the OW team is kind of a bunch of friends pretending to work while they collect a paycheck from the big corporation that is too busy counting money to notice.

And I actually like the game. But let's not rush to be hyper defensive of Blizzard here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think they care that much about the arcade mode tbh. hell you can still stack 6 defense matrix's in no limits

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Many developers have long since abandoned getting gamers to play their games by focusing on making solid balanced game it simply isn't nearly as effective as shiny baubles. See fps adding rpg elements, gambling, daily rewards. Free to play crap is still effective in a full priced game. The thing is they kind of have to if they want to maintain their community. Events make games feel fresh, which is necessary to compete with new games. (well good gameplay can sort of) (which will have similar gameplay/balance). Gamers are easy to manipulate but they have a tendency to want to play the new hotness. It'll be interesting to see how effective these events will be in the long run since these events are just bundles of skins. Oh an event... so uh more skins? Yep. My favorite part of this newest event? The death log improvements.

Kashuno posted:

They do in a way but you're clearly thinking it's a direct simple thing and thus aren't really worth discussing if further with.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 1, 2017

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
They actually removed the arcade and comp modes from the ptr right before they closed it, if they keep that change (which imo is good bc the ptr population is always small and doesn't need to be subdivided into all the various modes), then they won't have ptr players picking up on weird ecopoint glitches like that

And Dva falling through a map has nothing to do with balance changes

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think they care that much about the arcade mode tbh. hell you can still stack 6 defense matrix's in no limits

Well yeah that's a bit different than having a character basically be unplayable because they clip through the world though. Unforeseen balance problems in no limits isn't a bug like that is.

turtlecrunch posted:

They actually removed the arcade and comp modes from the ptr right before they closed it, if they keep that change (which imo is good bc the ptr population is always small and doesn't need to be subdivided into all the various modes), then they won't have ptr players picking up on weird ecopoint glitches like that

Well they don't really want the PTR to be for actual testing anyway so that makes sense. Actual testing means more real work, and that's no fun.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Apparently this conversation was a mistake

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
D.Va doesn't fall through the map on 3v3 anymore, at least not on PS4.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bug fixes and game balance are not the same things nor are they handled by the same people. Like, far be it from me to be defensive of blizzard since I enjoy their games far less than a lot of people but seriously people

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
events are fun

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

IronicDongz posted:

events are fun
I for one, like new skins from time to time. Not enough to spend actual money on them, but enough to play arcade for easy loot boxes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Please, it's obvious that a single temporary bug is a revelation of their true role as minions of The Beast. Every fortnight they pace a developer's heart upon the altar to bring forth more skins in order to secure their sacrifice for Mammon. But the heartless developer does not die, no, they rise from the dead, their blood replaced with the salty tears of players suffering under the weight of a Bastion buff.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mess with Jeff prepare for death

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm looking forward to Bastion buffs, honestly. I think in the long run it'll promote awareness of how to counter Bastion instead of the current situation where you occasionally lose to a gimped hero because nobody's practiced against him.

Although I'll be disappointed if they buff his turret form to where a pulse bomb doesn't blow him up from full health.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Duck and Cover posted:

Events are transparent manipulative poo poo designed for idiots to play their game more (without making the game better) and/or give them even more money.

Loss aversion is a cognitive tic that affects pretty much everyone and calling them all idiots is pretty rude, tbh.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I would kill for a normal summer skin set where Rein is wearing some kind of muscle beach tank top and Soldier is in full dad mode with jorts and sandals with socks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Duck and Cover posted:

The game is already good hth

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Overwatch isn't good so much as it is very aggressively okay.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Overwatch isn't good so much as it is very aggressively okay.

Actually it's good

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
playing as dva is really fun but i get mad if i have to play anyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Mess with Jeff prepare for death

ok now I have to go watch the video again