Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

If a character can increase their stars and their skills but characters drawn with more stars have things that others can't ever acquire, it seems like it would be pointless to bother with improving the less rare ones. So I hope that's not the case.

I'm assuming - and hoping - it's like this:

1-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP

2-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Killer Sword for 300 SP
5-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Falchion for 5000 SP

Where player A draws a low-star Marth and player B lucks out with a 5-star, player A will require more time and effort to reach the max level/stats for Marth but has the same potential as player B. They both have to go through the skills as normal which are kept through promotions. Player B can go straight for the Falchion but it'll take a long time initially since the acquisition of skill points will start low; it may be wiser to pick up a few intermediary skills before going for the big prize. A year down the line it may be easier to grind out the skill points but it'll require higher-level units to do so, making it easy for experienced players to play catch-up with new heroes they receive.

This is assuming that they don't introduce characters that only drop at 5* - which hopefully doesn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

acumen posted:

1-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP

2-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
5-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Falchion for 5000 SP

Where player A draws a low-star Marth and player B lucks out with a 5-star, player A will require more time and effort to reach the max level/stats for Marth but has the same potential as player B. They both have to go through the skills as normal which are kept through promotions. Player B can go straight for the Falchion but it'll take a long time initially since the acquisition of skill points will start low; it may be wiser to pick up a few intermediary skills before going for the big prize. A year down the line it may be easier to grind out the skill points but it'll require higher-level units to do so, making it easy for experienced players to play catch-up with new heroes they receive.

This is assuming that they don't introduce characters that only drop at 5* - which hopefully doesn't happen.

That would certainly be nice. My personal guess would be that special variants might be limited to higher or max rarity in order to increase their whale draw potential. But ideally it would basically be, every character has at least one base version that you can draw anywhere between the lowest and highest rarity, and then variant like Bride X or Swim Suit X would only be available at 5* or whatever.

Well, to be more accurate that would be ideal for me, since I'm almost never interested in that crap and thus would never feel an urge to pull for them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The impression I've gotten from my friend who plays mobile games (again, this will be my first) is that during the swimsuit event normal play will be sufficient to give you someone popular in a bikini but if you really really want Lyn or whatever you gotta whale

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

s..swimsuit event? well,i never

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Swimsuit Merlinus :shlick:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I personally will be pandered to extremely effectively while insisting that I would never care about seeing an anime bikini on the forums

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, what's the permadeath story with this game?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

So, what's the permadeath story with this game?

It doesn't exist. You play in casual mode; by spending currency you can turn it into pseudo phoenix mode

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

13 days, 13 hector votes

acumen posted:

1-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP

2-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
5-star Marth:
- Iron Sword
- Steel Sword for 100 SP
- Falchion for 5000 SP

I'm imagining something similar as well; Weapons and gear probably will only be gated behind pve/pvp content rather than a gacha or other cash mechanic. There will absolutely be characters that are only obtainable at maximum power through spending fun bucks on the gacha though. While it won't be something like "You can only get Peri by rolling on the new Conquest gacha", it will be more like "You can only get the special cross-class Great Knight/Dark Knight Peri with Luna and Seal Magic by rolling on the new Conquest gacha".

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are the votes out yet. how can the voting end so close to the launch how will they have time to design a special cynthia

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

are the votes out yet. how can the voting end so close to the launch how will they have time to design a special cynthia
'hey, kozaki, draw cynthia'

'okay'

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

'hey, kozaki, draw cynthia'

'okay'

um they have to draw her four times, not to mention her battle and map sprite

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I played a lot of gacha rpgs and I can't remember a time that you needed a 5 star to beat the normal content. Mobius final fantasy was abusrdly easy with default stuff.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius gets pretty difficult. With a team of pretty decent 5 stars I had some difficulty fighting one of the Veritas without an OP friend unit.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

This is my ballot, the best ballot. Except Ursula who I really didn't expect to see in the second PV, I guess she's way more popular than I realized. Would have voted for Merlinus.

I'm also really upset I couldn't vote for Lucina's mother and Chrom's beloved wife, Villager A.

E: I don't know if this has been posted but soft boy Nick Robinson looked at FE Heroes and answers a lot of questions people may have about it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkJvpBoLKxY

EGSunBro fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 1, 2017

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Super No Vacancy posted:

The two winners in their special outfits won't be in the game at launch

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Will level ups be random?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

U-DO Burger posted:

We don't know

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

seems like it from the footage ive seen

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Dr Pepper posted:

That's generally how it works in gatcha games yeah. They have special event pools with "rate up" units in which if you pull on the Gatcha and get a high ranking unit you're much more likely to get one of the advertised units.

As for showing the drop rates they actually have to do that due to Japanese gambling laws.

They have to do that in Japan, but most (if not all) games take those out out when localizing into other territories. It's actually really cool of Nintendo to keep that transparency in regions where they're not required to, although it might just be a function of not having different servers for Japan and the rest of the world.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

seems like it from the footage ive seen

Imagine spending $100 worth of orbs to whale your way into bride Lyn, carefully and methodically grinding her up to 5-stars, then have her get nothing but empty levelups

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Imagine spending $100 worth of orbs to whale your way into bride Lyn, carefully and methodically grinding her up to 5-stars, then have her get nothing but empty levelups

there's gotta be some kind of system like level-ups being seemingly random from level to level but ending up the same by the time you hit the level cap or some way to reset a unit back to level 1 to try to get better level-ups

i refuse to believe dena or IS would be dumb enough to let this scenario be even remotely possible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

some way to reset a unit back to level 1 to try to get better level-ups

its this

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lord Koth posted:

That Arthur art is amazing.

On a serious note, I'm not a particular fan of being able to buy dueling swords with orbs. Maybe I've just been acquainted with the wrong gatcha games, but in my experience ranking is either purely superfluous and doesn't really matter for anything other than status, or ranking gives stuff but you have a fixed number of matches per day that can't be changed (at least for the MP part). Dueling swords being purchasable combined with ranking giving actual rewards is going to result in the upper ranks filled with nothing but whales.

I hear you this has driven me off many games, I know ranking is pointless dick measuring or whatever but buying matchs like that makes it entirely a pay for rank system as opposed to any amount of skill.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/fire-emblem-heroes-100-characters-launch-developed-main-team-along-echoes/

quote:

Earlier today, Famitsu published an interview with the two Directors of Fire Emblem Heroes, Shingo Matsushita (Nintendo) and Kohei Maeda (Intelligent Systems). It provides us with quite a bit of additional details about the game, including what’s available at launch and what’s coming next.

Thanks to Ash’s translations, we’re now able to offer you a rundown of the main details from the interview!

Fire Emblem Heroes will be the very first Fire Emblem game on smart devices, but it’s not exactly something “new” for Intelligent Systems. Indeed: the idea of putting the Fire Emblem series on smart devices is something they have been thinking about for several years now.

About who’s developing the game: yesterday, we got the confirmation that Intelligent Systems were the ones developing Fire Emblem Heroes, assisted by Nintendo and DeNA. But what we didn’t know is that the main Fire Emblem team was actually working on the game (not just a “minor” sub-team created just for the occasion).

What’s more, the interview reveals that this same team is also working on Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. In other words, the developers at Intelligent Systems (and the main Fire Emblem team) have been really busy in the past few months, with:

development of Fire Emblem Heroes
development of Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
supervision for Fire Emblem Warriors
development of the new Fire Emblem game on the Nintendo Switch

When asked whether they had considered making Fire Emblem Heroes a paid app (like Super Mario Run), the two Directors replied that they wanted as many people as possible to play the game, which is why they went the F2P route.So no, they never considered making the game not F2P.

In fact, the gacha mechanic has been there from the very beginning. They figured that the random drops for characters would be a great way for players to get to know the various characters from the Fire Emblem series. After all, only the most hardcore of fans will have played all the entries in the series, especially in the West where many of them were never even released.

When adapting the Fire Emblem experience to smart devices, the developers put a lot of focus on making sure the game was easy to pick up. In general, maps take about 5 to 10 minutes to beat, and you can play with just one hand. Of course, they also made sure that the game was true to the Fire Emblem series, so that both newcomers and experienced players could enjoy it.

Speaking of the maps, the 8×6 grid is the standard size, and there actually isn’t anything bigger. Basically, the developers made sure that all the maps would fit on the screen at all times. Interesting details: they are all based on maps from the various Fire Emblem entries.

At launch, about 50 maps will be available in the main story, but naturally, they plan on adding even more later down the line (to keep players engaged). The first set of maps available at launch is basically Season 1, and if other similar games on smart devices are any indication, we can expect new ones to be added on a regular basis.

As for characters, approximately 100 of them will be available at launch, with story updates adding new heroes later down the line. Those characters will come with new story content and map(s).

Regarding the story, Fire Emblem Heroes will feature a main scenario, but also “Gaiden-esque” parts (not directly part of the main story). Naturally, developers are planning special content to tie-in with new Fire Emblem games, such as Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for example.

And just like most other similar games on smart devices, there will be time-limited events, such as Great Hero Battles where players will be able to battle heroes that are much stronger than notmal.

Regarding the characters themselves, the two Directors explain that there are minor differences between them, but in general, they made sure that paramaters wouldn’t differ too much. As for the star ratings, they confirm that a 5 stars character will not necessarily be stronger than a 4 stars character, especially since you can take that 4 stars character and train it to 5 stars (as characters become stronger as their star rating increases).

They also re-confirm that all the illustrations in Fire Emblem Heroes are brand new: nothing was re-used from previous games or even the Fire Emblem 0 Trading Card Game. Also, absolutely all the characters get a special illustration for when they have taken a certain amount of damage, it’s not just for the main or major characters.

As for the voiced lines, it was revealed in the Nintendo Direct last month that they were also completely brand new. Lines have been recorded for various situations: when they are in battle, when you grab the characters on the map, when their star rating increases, and more.

In the interview, Shingo Matsushita and Kohei Maeda also mention a feature we haven’t really heard about until now (even in yesterday’s previews), tied to your friends. Sometimes, the leader character from your friends will appear in your home base, and you will be able to get Hero’s Wings from them. What’s more, the developers are also considering adding other features using friends in the future (simultaneous multiplayer, maybe?).

Finally, they talk a bit about the auto-mode, which is going to be pretty useful in the first part of the game, especially for players who are not used to strategy games.

An extra tidbit about the Choose your Legends event that ended yesterday: the official Twitter account for the game reveals that they received a total of 1.2 million votes for it. The results will be revealed shortly, and the winning character(s) will be added to Fire Emblem Heroes. Naturally, it will be a special version of the character, with a different costume and different skills (it will be considered a separate character altogether).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's me, I'm one of the most hardcore of fans in the series :unsmith:

Do we have any estimated release time(s)?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Terper posted:

Soon™

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Terper posted:

Do we have any estimated release time(s)?

6 1/2 hours from now

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
2:00 PM PST, 5:00 PM EST

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20170202T07&p0=248&font=cursive&csz=1

It will actually go into extended four hour long maintenance a minute after.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

e: Maybe not, we'll see

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

100 characters at launch, huh?

If this thread's title is a lie, you're dead meat, understand?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

100 characters at launch, huh?

If this thread's title is a lie, you're dead meat, understand?

It's a lie

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All characters are gonna be from Marth's games, Elibe, Awakening, or Fates at launch with the possible exception of a few lords, almost certainly

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
There's gonna be a ton of Gaiden characters too but probably not at launch. Echoes cross promo is guaranteed.

Also probably a good chunk of Sacred Stones and Tellius characters given their popularity, although again maybe not at launch. Honestly 4 and 5 are the only games I'd be very worried about representation from.

E: And within like a year, maybe two assuming the game lasts that long, every character on the character poll options list is gonna be in probably. Everyone is some potential whales favorite and this is a gatcha game so any given character is super minimal effort.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I meant at launch sorry

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

EGSunBro posted:

There's gonna be a ton of Gaiden characters too but probably not at launch. Echoes cross promo is guaranteed.

Also probably a good chunk of Sacred Stones and Tellius characters given their popularity, although again maybe not at launch. Honestly 4 and 5 are the only games I'd be very worried about representation from.

Considering the new echoes branding I wouldn't be surprised if we see 4&5 remakes in the next 3 years

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Oh yeah at launch it's definitely gonna be lords, 3DS characters and a couple fan favorites. And Reigh for some reason. But at least the cast will expand super fast probably.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does anyone have any insight on DENA or miitomo or anything and platform transfarring. can i play on my iphone and android tablet on the same account or should i start on the one i want to use

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
^ edit: beaten to the question while typing

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless this game is implemented in the worst possible way, it's going to be account based and you can just play on your tablet at home and on your phone when out

I have an android tablet and an iOS phone, so usually accounts aren't cross compatible. Is that not the case for FE:H because that would be awesome.

a computer ghost fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Adel posted:

I have an android tablet and an iOS phone, so usually accounts aren't cross compatible. Is that not the case for FE:H because that would be awesome.

I've seen several games where you can share the same account, drops and all, between the two however the one constant with those is your paid currency doesn't crossover between them. It still exists, so if you bought 100 funbucks on Android they'll still be there when you load the game up Android side but you won't be able to spend them when logged in on iOS side.