Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have a great anti-cheat device it's called the XBONE.

Actually like 90% of the reason I own a console is just for games that are at risk of cheating/low pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Chomp8645 posted:

I have a great anti-cheat device it's called the XBONE.

Actually like 90% of the reason I own a console is just for games that are at risk of cheating/low pop.

Cheating isn't even that rampant in PC games with good antihacker systems. Like CSGO with their prime matchmaking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Cheating isn't even that rampant in PC games with good antihacker systems. Like CSGO with their prime matchmaking.

Yeah but the key there is the word "good". A lot of games have poor anti-cheat. Some don't have really have any.

I've had very little experience with online Ubisoft games (none, basically) but if I a lot of other people are worried I take that as a bad omen. If I had to guess on a scale from Blizzard (10) to From Software (0) I'd probably say they are around the rating of an EA(4-6).

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Most of us are just afraid of Rainbow 6 siege early days

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Division pvp was a cheater haven for several months too.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
hold on to your butts, cuz theres gon be hackin

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah see if the recent Ubisoft releases have had problems then I'd say it's reasonable for people to worry the same thing may happen here (because it probably will).

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah but the key there is the word "good". A lot of games have poor anti-cheat. Some don't have really have any.

I've had very little experience with online Ubisoft games (none, basically) but if I a lot of other people are worried I take that as a bad omen. If I had to guess on a scale from Blizzard (10) to From Software (0) I'd probably say they are around the rating of an EA(4-6).

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah see if the recent Ubisoft releases have had problems then I'd say it's reasonable for people to worry the same thing may happen here (because it probably will).

Yeah it's reasonable to be worried with every online game. I'm not saying it won't happen but the internet has the tendency to freak the gently caress out over things they haven't experienced yet.

Game is not even out yet holy poo poo the game is going to be plagued by hackers because hackers exists and theres hackers in this other game and Angelina Jolie was a hacker in Hackers.

Maybe i'm biased but I'm personally on the side of let's see how things turns out.

They had a ''report hack'' button in the BETA, to me it means that theres something already in place. (and again I have absolutely no insight on whether they have one or not)

e: VV__ not necessarily pointing out goons in this thread. Pretty chill so far.

Hard fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think anyone is freaking out?

If I get the game it will be on console so I'm not worried about cheats. I think most of the others are just playing the angle "better wait and see, don't buy at release because cheats may be a problem" which is very reasonable imo. Especially when the developer has recent history with cheats being a problem.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

People seem to be massively overestimating the likelihood that they will encounter cheaters. In my many years of playing online PC games, I think I've encountered cheats about 20-25 times MAX. Even if there is day one obvious cheating going on, it'll still be in a small minority of games, and you're probably pretty unlikely to see it very often. If you don't care what platform you get this on, then you are probably even less likely to play against cheaters on a console, but even on PC, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision making.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 1, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Gunder posted:

People seem to be massively overestimating the likelihood that they will encounter cheaters. In my many years of playing online PC games, I think I've encountered cheats about 20-25 times MAX. Even if there is day one obvious cheating going on, it'll still be in a small minority of games, and you're probably pretty unlikely to see it very often. If you don't care what platform you get this on, then you are probably even less likely to play against cheaters on a console, but even on PC, I wouldn't let that even factor into my decision making.

R6 Siege was brutal for awhile, but they brought in BattlEye and the experience has been amazing ever since.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

slap me and kiss me posted:

R6 Siege was brutal for awhile, but they brought in BattlEye and the experience has been amazing ever since.

Cmon man, it's never been THAT bad. There were ( and still are) some cheaters yes but the very nature of the game made it scream for bullshit.

Aside for the blatant one, It was super easy at one point to simply blame any death on hacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah but it was actually really common. I was playing a couple of weeks before the battlEye thing and every single game had some ridiculous guy who would snapshot you through 3 walls, your dogs favourite chew toy and your dads already empty whiskey bottle.

slap me and kiss me posted:

I tease because I love. I've put 460 hours into that game over two platforms.

Only 100 here, but it was a good 100

dogstile fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 1, 2017

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Hard posted:

Cmon man, it's never been THAT bad. There were ( and still are) some cheaters yes but the very nature of the game made it scream for bullshit.

Aside for the blatant one, It was super easy at one point to simply blame any death on hacks.

I tease because I love. I've put 460 hours into that game over two platforms.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How many cheaters is "too many" cheaters is very subjective. I don't think anyone should be telling other people how often encountering a cheater is too much. For some people one cheater in a week is too much. For others they may have to see several in the same day to find it a big problem. Both point of views are ok.

Whatever the actual frequency of cheating, many people have decided there were too many cheaters in Siege. I can promise you they did not make this determination randomly. People do not randomly descend on specific games en masse and declare it vulnerable to hacks. And if a recent release by the same company did not meet their standards for cheat protection, how can anyone blame them for being wary of the next?

I've never played Siege, but I know it had an issue with cheats. I know this with certainty. And not because I read it here, but because I can read it anywhere. If just a few posters, or hell, the whole of the SA thread believed the game to have a cheat problem... well you could still explain that as a Thread Think. But anywhere on the internet where games are discussed there is talk of the issues Siege had with cheaters. That does not happen on accident. It does not happen because only tiny minority were affected. It happens for a reason, and it is valid when discussing Ubisoft games, especially as it is so recent.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 1, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gunder posted:

People seem to be massively overestimating the likelihood that they will encounter cheaters. In my many years of playing online PC games, I think I've encountered cheats about 20-25 times MAX. Even if there is day one obvious cheating going on, it'll still be in a small minority of games, and you're probably pretty unlikely to see it very often. If you don't care what platform you get this on, then you are probably even less likely to play against cheaters on a console, but even on PC, I wouldn't let that factor into my decision making.

The most cheaters I've ever encountered was Diablo 3 for PS4 pretty much everyone.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Hard posted:

It was pretty bad at launch lol. The part where you guys switched anticheats to something that actually worked kind of reinforces that narrative too :unsmigghh:

My biggest worry about p2p with For Honor is ddosing/the kind of fuckery that can happen with forcing disconnects. I'm not super competitive but I like to take my ranked queuing seriously and it's going to suck being subjected to that kind of cheese like in other fighting games.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Hello, please produce a female raider dakimakura kthnx.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keegers posted:

CSGO takes a lot of steps to cut down on hacking, but its an ever present threat and problem. They have a whole program for letting reputable users review other gamers' game footage to determine if they've been cheating, and even at the highest level of pro play you get accusations of cheating and clear evidence of aim botting. So... yeah... about that.

Gunder posted:

Yeah I really don't care. I ran into a few cheaters in GTA Online, you just hop to another server. (Or maybe they give you free money lol)

This game is fun enough just as a co-op vs bots game, where I can play with my friends, if cheating is a big issue on random matches.

And I'm pretty sure you still get loot drops and contribute to the war effort / territory mode thing even when playing vs AI.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Feels like almost all Siege cheating accusations from goons are because the player making them sucks/the other player is good. Occasionally because of lag. Once in a blue moon, I've run into a hacker in Siege in a goon squad. You know because they headshot you and your entire team with a glock through a window 100 yards away.

I'd rather 1v4 a bunch of hackers eternally than listen to a bunch of nerds on mumble try to convince themselves an enemy player is hacking 'cause they can't handle the idea that they suck. Embrace the suck.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

7c Nickel posted:

Hello, please produce a female raider dakimakura kthnx.

:eyepop:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

I like a woman who can sweep me up in her arms (and throw me off a cliff).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

7c Nickel posted:

I like a woman who can sweep me up in her arms (and throw me off a cliff).

For Honor: Powerful Norwegian Women vs. Scrawny Non-Aryans.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Cheating probably won't be much of a problem, if at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, that settles it then!!!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
this is the first game that ive playex that lets me play a realistic roided out berserker woman

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimbal lock posted:

Cheating probably won't be much of a problem, if at all.

:laffo:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
You should wait to quote me after release, once y'all can verify yourselves.
I'll make it clearer: some cheating might not be out of reach of some people in training mode, but it gets a whole lot harder once another actual player is in the same match. There's some pretty robust sanity checking happening with the other players. Cheating gets a whole lot harder when you need to cheat the other players too, especially if any particular client doesn't trust a whole lot about the other clients.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 2, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimbal lock posted:

You should wait to quote me after release, once y'all can verify yourselves.
I'll make it clearer: some cheating might not be out of reach of some people in training mode, but it gets a whole lot harder once another actual player is in the same match. There's some pretty robust sanity checking happening with the other players. Cheating gets a whole lot harder when you need to cheat the other players too, especially if any particular client doesn't trust a whole lot about the other clients.

I don't think you actually know what you're talking about. This is a P2P server model, it'll be trivial(for the people who make a living on creating hacks) to inject code into. What proof do you have in regards to the sanity checking done? As far as I can see it's mostly client side. EAC is pretty easy to bypass based on the number of hacks available for other EAC protected games. Battleye is probably one of the only anti cheat systems that appears to work well.

There will 100% be people using auto script hacks for blocking/dodging (think Aimbotting in an FPS except for fighting games). There probably won't be ESP hacks since those would be next to useless in this type of game. You probably won't see hacks coming from AA or UC.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Oh yeah, there are gonna be hackers. I already bought the game but I know this

Everyone should know this

But playing 4v4 with goons is pretty much amazing sooooo, still worth the monies

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't think you actually know what you're talking about. This is a P2P server model, it'll be trivial(for the people who make a living on creating hacks) to inject code into.

There's a lot of misunderstandings about the nature of how the peer to peer part of the communication between the pool of players is being used by the game. If everything was entirely peer to peer it might have been a lot easier to do cheaty stuff, but a lot of permissions are happening server side.
I can't offer proof. Things'll get a lot clearer on release.

As for auto blocking scripts though, yeah that might be a lot harder to stop 100%. Basically anything with plausible deniability. I'm talking mostly about overtly cheaty stuff like ridiculous stats or speed hacking.

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Feb 2, 2017

Darkmoon2k
May 1, 2005
:20bux: Anyone find any better deals? I'm gonna be stingy and only buy it at $40 or less, but what I found so far is gettin' close.

GamesPlanet 31.99 (Not available in US)

GamersGate 22% off all editions, $46.79 standard edition

GreenManGaming 20% off all editions, $47.99 standard edition

Darkmoon2k fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 2, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

You know thing about auto blockers and dodgers is you can still kill them. Like in mount and blade, the player using the hack usually sucks and you can easily punish when they try to attack. In for Honor's case parry their attack and gently caress their poo poo up after. Also I feel like people are gonna accuse anyone good at blocking of hacking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gimbal lock posted:

There's a lot of misunderstandings about the nature of how the peer to peer part of the communication between the pool of players is being used by the game. If everything was entirely peer to peer it might have been a lot easier to do cheaty stuff, but a lot of permissions are happening server side.
Things'll get a lot clearer on release.

As for auto blocking scripts though, yeah that might be a lot harder to stop 100%. Basically anything with plausible deniability. I'm talking mostly about overtly cheaty stuff like ridiculous stats or speed hacking.

It is good to know that highly overt cheating, which nobody was really worried about, is what you were talking about. Almost as comforting as knowing that artificial inputs like auto dodge/parry/whatever, which is much more likely and difficult to detect, is apparently not what you were talking about!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gimbal lock posted:

Things'll get a lot clearer on release.

I'll ask you for proof on this again :)

When running the game you can see people directly connecting to you. It was trivial to dump a bunch of the communication happening between peers. There's stuff being offloaded to AWS instances.

Anyway this is a silly derail. Game is pretty fun as it is, we'll see how bad cheating will be.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Bg8TXtm6Q

They're using the same post-launch approach as R6:Siege

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Two new heroes and maps every 3 months? :stare:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Two heroes... but three factions!!!

Which one will be left out? :ohdear:

e: it better not be the Glorious Handsome Samurai!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Khagan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Bg8TXtm6Q

They're using the same post-launch approach as R6:Siege

So, just looking at the silhouettes of that promo image, apparently one of the new heroes will be some kind of ninja-person with sickles, and some sort of roman centurion guy. I'm down with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How many viking classes can you even make

This guy has an axe! THIS guy has a bigger axe!! THIS guy has two axes!! THIS GUY HAS TWO BIG AXES :O