Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the old strategy of "just subjugate Norsca" doesn't work anymore because they'll all hate you so much that as soon as you declare war on someone, or someone declares war on you, they'll refuse the automatic call to arms and go "lol nope I also declare war on you".

Goddammit CA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Well, I take back what I said earlier. Fled my two weaker armies back to the Chaos Wastes to recover, and naturally six Varg/Skaeling armies show up to box them in. I accept that Chaos is not a super friendly faction, but having the other Chaos factions gang up on you to the exclusion of all else is total horseshit. Losing two armies might as well be a game over, so time for round two. Switched over to Archaon this time and am doing much better being a lot more aggressive. He's basically a hellcannon without the siege ability, pretty drat good as well though nothing beats Kholek being able to take out multiple units solo. I've also learned to forget about letting non-elite units recover. Just merge/disband anything that gets heavily wounded and regain numbers way faster. The tip someone gave to demolish the marauder encampment has been excellent also. I hadn't realized it would allow recruiting chaos warriors much faster.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I ran across a few people on quickbattle today running 6+ Slayer armies and cycle charging cav into slayers wasn't really producing the effect I expected. I was losing a serious number of cav even when pulling out right after the charge, so I ran some tests.

If you are cycle charging and want to maximize initial impact damage and minimize casualties on the withdraw, you should place your cav in a deep rank formation (4+), with a relatively narrow front. This felt counter intuitive at first because a wider formation will charge and wrap around the max number of cav models to be engaged at one time. However, whenever you try and withdraw 1/3 of the unit on the wrong side of the enemy who will try and squeeze through and get themselves killed. Slayers deploy in a very loose formation that cav charges don't normally penetrate completely, so the trick of running over them and then out the other side doesn't work.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 1, 2017

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/826429835425767424

What could it be? The suspense is killing me.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Individual unit formations ie wedges

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Individual unit formations ie wedges

an army painter/avatar conquest is what I see getting thrown around a lot

Tardcore fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 1, 2017

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
An army painter would be amazing. Also surprise army of ogres being added in February because ogres rule.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

My money's on Blessing of the Lady from the TTG getting worked in.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

whatever it is, I bet it's tied closely to however the Green Knight is going to work.

Tardcore posted:

an army painter/avatar conquest is what I see getting thrown around a lot

I want it to be this though

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 1, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Bretts seem like they're going to be dull in sieges because cavalry isnt very useful for attacker or defender in my opinion.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Bretts seem like they're going to be dull in sieges because cavalry isnt very useful for attacker or defender in my opinion.

Wait people play siege battles wtf

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

im sure they will get an honest steel type ability to buff all their peasants to respectable levels. Maybe even strong enough to fight on a wall

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Bretts should get skills that buff their cavalry but nerf their infantry at the same time.

(Also something to help them survive the elves)

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I just hope they get RoR and we get to recruit Warhammer Robin Hood with individually modelled Friar Tuck and Little John.

Edit:

Dravs fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 1, 2017

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

CA doesn't seem to be comprised of paint-huffing clownshoes so I think fake Robin Hood and Chaos Dwarf hats are never to be seen again.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lassitude posted:

CA doesn't seem to be comprised of paint-huffing clownshoes so I think fake Robin Hood and Chaos Dwarf hats are never to be seen again.

Some things really are too beautiful for this world :(

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Lassitude posted:

I think your opinions on warhams are bad, fight me

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Lassitude posted:

They put in punk-mohawk monster-killing midgets, poo poo-wearing not-broo, screaming green soccer hooligans and their goblin-flinging siege engines, the totally not a dick living demon cannon and a giant wizard magnifying glass laser.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Asehujiko posted:

February has just arrived in CA's timezone, any word on the Bret release date yet other than that it's somewhere between an hour ago and a bit under 28 days from now?

Aside from the stream thing today which isn't really about Brettonia, they've said that it will be around the end of the month and that there's no DLC release coming alongside Brettonia.

They've also said that they'll be doing that Make War Not Love promotion again this year Basically, a competition between TW and like, Relic between Feb 14-21 where the winner gets some kind of DLC released for free, though usually not released until later. Note that Relic always always wins so we've never gotten that free DLC but it was the Slav DLC for Atilla last year which means probably a new DLC announcement in the next two weeks to go along with the event, even though it might not come out for a long time afterwards.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Aside from the stream thing today which isn't really about Brettonia, they've said that it will be around the end of the month and that there's no DLC release coming alongside Brettonia.

They've also said that they'll be doing that Make War Not Love promotion again this year Basically, a competition between TW and like, Relic between Feb 14-21 where the winner gets some kind of DLC released for free, though usually not released until later. Note that Relic always always wins so we've never gotten that free DLC but it was the Slav DLC for Atilla last year which means probably a new DLC announcement in the next two weeks to go along with the event, even though it might not come out for a long time afterwards.

I'd say Warhammer has a decent chance of winning if the competition is Company of Heroes 2, since Relic hasn't released anything in a long time and Make War Not Love usually involves a free weekend, so the fact that everyone bought CoH2 for two quids and a pity gently caress on Humble won't make much difference.

And the free content is a map editor. Sort of makes sense the maps in the selection have the CA logo, which implies we'd be getting maps from other creators.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 1, 2017

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Battlemap Editor Confirmed!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Not what I was hoping for but still pretty good

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah I'm sure people will make some good maps but there's already so many. Adding 2v2v2v2 or 8 player free for all like there was in Rome 1 would be nice.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can't add maps to the campaign, that sucks

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Gejnor posted:

CA posted:

You can use the maps in single player custom battles but not on the grand campaign, in quest battles or otherwise.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

SickZip posted:

Can't add maps to the campaign, that sucks

This is loving dumb.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

fnordcircle posted:

This is loving dumb.

They can't have you create the expansion yourself when they expect you to shell out cash for it later. But yeah dumb

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
drat, I was really hoping for a rehash of Shogun's Avatar system.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Pendent posted:

:agreed:

Honestly couldn't care less about a map editor.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Yeah I really miss being able to design a general/picking the colors/banner from shogun 2. I can do without the retainer cards that gave huge advantages to veteran players. An army painter that works for the campaign and mp would be nice.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I guess it'll be a boon for the people who want to re-create battle scenes with the engine, but for most everybody else it's kind of underwhelming.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

They need to add little town maps, maps with rivers and chokepoints and stuff, and other cool poo poo from earlier TW games. I don't know why they went the route they did, but TWW maps are seriously the most boring of the series.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Also, mid-map objective points. Even if they don't have a victory countdown timer like city objectives do, they should at least be using all the cool magical detail that's spread across the map. Like have magical forest effects, or arcane objects you can capture, or something. Have a burning tree that sends out waves of fire every 2-3 minutes, or a foggy area that protects all within it from magic, stuff like that. They showed off the details on the maps in the leadup to the release, and talked about how Warhammer gives them the greatest freedom to design maps due to its fantasy nature, but it's all just there, it doesn't do anything. Even that cool golden pillar or the pillar of bone or the swamps with souls flying around are just ordinary terrain.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I just want to be able to design my own dumb Legendary Lord and then paint his or hers army in dumb colors. It's a warhammer tradition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pendent posted:

That makes perfect sense for a Warhammer game, considering half the appeal of the tabletop game was coming up with your own preferred army rosters. Enhancing them to follow your preferred combat style would be great.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Arcsquad12 posted:

That makes perfect sense for a Warhammer game, considering half the appeal of the tabletop game was coming up with your own preferred army rosters. Enhancing them to follow your preferred combat style would be great.

No, you fool! Don't you remember how annoying max-accuracy range boosted Bow Monks were? Now imagine wood elves with the range of artillery. Let's stick to visual customization, and not go down the darkest path.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Yeah shoguns avatar thing is a no-go. Army color customization is a supremely good idea though. Battle map editor....Who cares

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Kaza42 posted:

Also, mid-map objective points. Even if they don't have a victory countdown timer like city objectives do, they should at least be using all the cool magical detail that's spread across the map. Like have magical forest effects, or arcane objects you can capture, or something. Have a burning tree that sends out waves of fire every 2-3 minutes, or a foggy area that protects all within it from magic, stuff like that. They showed off the details on the maps in the leadup to the release, and talked about how Warhammer gives them the greatest freedom to design maps due to its fantasy nature, but it's all just there, it doesn't do anything. Even that cool golden pillar or the pillar of bone or the swamps with souls flying around are just ordinary terrain.

Yeah. Also houses that burn down, fields of wheat or something that can be ignited, etc. The boring maps are probably the worst part of TWW. So much potential but instead they phoned it in harder than on any other TW game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
When people say they want "Shogun's Avatar System" they don't generally mean "literally every lovely part including the overpowered veteran units". It's usually a stand in for "basic army customization and an MP mode that isn't lazy as poo poo".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Chomp8645 posted:

When people say they want "Shogun's Avatar System" they don't generally mean "literally every lovely part including the overpowered veteran units". It's usually a stand in for "basic army customization and an MP mode that isn't lazy as poo poo".

Yeah, a Warhammer Avatar system doesn't have to be a 1:1 copy. There's room for the design to be tinkered with and honed.

• Locked thread